Recommendations for how to address issues with smokers on balconies

chiguypaul

I've only had a balcony room once and it was years ago. Worked out great. No issues. I have an upcoming cruise on a balcony. I have read a number of people on Cruisecritic who have had problems with their balcony neighbors smoking even though the rules are clear. What is the best way to address a situation where a balcony neighbor is smoking and making it difficult for me or my family to be on my balcony because we don't want to smell it. I understand I can ask someone directly, but I've found some smokers to get angry, even if I ask politely for them to not smoke. Most smokers have been very polite, but I worry about a neighbor who won't be kind and will make being next to them uncomfortable. So my first thought is to just call the front desk.

Non-smokers, how have you handled a situation like this?

Smokers, what would be your advice?

Thanks.

I used to smoke but would never dream of smoking outside a designated area. That said, I agree with PPs about calling security. Do not take it upon yourself to enforce ship rules. Nothing good can come of it. If the rulebreakers are breaking rules, they know they are wrong but can be hostile to you when directly confronted. Don't stress yourself on vacation. Make your report and go about your day.

I was recently at WDW and a couple would routinely smoke off of their third floor balcony room and throw "butts" into a pile in the flower bed. I called guest services about the unauthorized ashtray in the garden and it Magically went away. I smoked then and dutifully walked down three flights of stairs to a bench in the DSA a couple of times each day. The couple down the balcony never knew who reported them but they could guess.

I used to smoke but would never dream of smoking outside a designated area. That said, I agree with PPs about calling security. Do not take it upon yourself to enforce ship rules. Nothing good can come of it. If the rulebreakers are breaking rules, they know they are wrong but can be hostile to you when directly confronted. Don't stress yourself on vacation. Make your report and go about your day.

I was recently at WDW and a couple would routinely smoke off of their third floor balcony room and throw "butts" into a pile in the flower bed. I called guest services about the unauthorized ashtray in the garden and it Magically went away. I smoked then and dutifully walked down three flights of stairs to a bench in the DSA a couple of times each day. The couple down the balcony never knew who reported them but they could guess to within 12 rooms?

I am a smoker and have had a balcony a few times and NEVER smoked on it. I think you are worrying about an issue that may never happen. If you run into it, then politely ask them to not smoke on their balcony. Most of us smokers are courtesy and don't break the rules. If they get rude then just call security. But I wouldn't stress something that hasn't even happened and probably won't. Like I said. I have never smoked on a balcony. My last cruise was very rocky and cold and windy and rainy and I still went to the smokers area on deck 10 or deck 6 where it was permitted. And my neighbors were almost never on their balcony so I could have smoked but again I am respectful of the rules and that my neighbors may not like the smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by jktheangel

Seriously, are you really stressing out over a issue that hasn't even effing happened?

###

Having a someone smoking on a balcony near me would ruin my ability to use my balcony. So yes, some people DO worry and stress about this in advance. If I pay a great deal more for what is advertized as a non-smoking balcony, I expect to get to use it. The original poster is new to these current policies and is simply asking what they should do in the event that they encounter a balcony smoker.

Now that it is against the rules to smoke on a balcony, I would call guest services immediately when I smell smoke. If you can help them figure out who it is, that will help remove the issue.

They should take care of it and if they do not, keep calling them until it is taken care of.

Having a someone smoking on a balcony near me would ruin my ability to use my balcony. So yes, some people DO worry and stress about this in advance. If I pay a great deal more for what is advertized as a non-smoking balcony, I expect to get to use it. The original poster is new to these current policies and is simply asking what they should do in the event that they encounter a balcony smoker.

Maybe one should also "worry and stress" about potential airline delays, or their taxi getting in an accident, or norovirus, or..............:rolleyes:

Odds are there will be no "balcony smoking problem". If you do encounter this OP, call guest services. Now forget about it, relax and think happy thoughts about your upcoming vacation :)

Edited by bouhunter

I've only had a balcony room once and it was years ago. Worked out great. No issues. I have an upcoming cruise on a balcony. I have read a number of people on Cruisecritic who have had problems with their balcony neighbors smoking even though the rules are clear. What is the best way to address a situation where a balcony neighbor is smoking and making it difficult for me or my family to be on my balcony because we don't want to smell it. I understand I can ask someone directly, but I've found some smokers to get angry, even if I ask politely for them to not smoke. Most smokers have been very polite, but I worry about a neighbor who won't be kind and will make being next to them uncomfortable. So my first thought is to just call the front desk.

Non-smokers, how have you handled a situation like this?

Smokers, what would be your advice?

Thanks.

Call security as others said, that's pretty much all you can do short of an unpleasant confrontation. Chances are you won't have any issues. I'm very sensitive to smoke and I'm 0 for 8 in having any issues on my cruises. I've actually seen someone smoking out there a couple of times but the wind currents were in my favor and the smoke went elsewhere :cool:

I wouldn't hesitate to report it if I needed to but so far so good.

Seriously, are you really stressing out over a issue that hasn't even effing happened?

###

Are you seriously stressing over something someone else is stressing over?

I am here to read for amusement, but off the top of my head we had 3 or 4 balcony cruises before the ban and had no issues. Another 6 or 7 balcony cruises, the only problem I saw, was a guy came out onto the formerly public balcony at the aft end of deck 12 on Allure to smoke. He saw us watching the aquatheater show and tried to stay hidden. When he tossed the butt overboard, he happened to look up and see he was on camera the whole time. He got out of there quickly.

BTW effing happened? That really adds to the integrity of any post! :D

On one cruise I was waiting for my wife to get dressed so I ventured onto the balcony to catch the sunset and a strong smell of marijuana flowed my way. There was a man 2 balconies down smoking. As soon as he saw me he disappeared. I never saw them or smelt it again.

Sometimes just then being observed is enough for them to stop.

We've only had this happen to us once. Like others, we called security. They immediately addressed the issue. They also left a voicemail letting us know that the offender was apologetic and didn't know balcony smoking wasn't permitted.

Good question. I agree with calling security. Complaints should be confidential (ask security to be sure.) The offender will not really know if the complaint is coming from a neighbor, above, or below.

We try to be friendly to all neighbors. Act the same after a complaint (if one is necessary.) Keep calling for repeated offences. Invite security to your balcony in the hope they can narrow down the smoker.

There was a thread a year or two ago regarding taking pictures (vs privacy) of the offender. Interesting thread. ;)

have had experience of having a heavy smoker, same time every day out on balcony. Called Guest Services--nothing happened--he still smoked.

Unfortunately, we were below a bar in aft section of ship that allowed smoking and he claimed the smoke we smelled was from there!

Although there is a no smoking picture on the balcony door, and despite no smoking on balconies being mentioned at the muster drill, people still do it.

We got back from Anthem on Sunday and smelled cigarette smoke a few times while on the balcony. Once was pulling in to port and I guess they thought they were the only ones outside early in the morning. It wasn't often but I still don't want to smell it.

We let the room steward know who informed Security. It wasn't the people in the cabin next to us because when we smelled it and they were not there. Could've been a cabin or two away, or possibly below us. Of course if you can figure out where it is coming from, you can get better results.

While I do believe some may genuinely not know about the smoking policy, I think most know it's not permitted on balconies but choose to do it anyway. Maybe more reporting needs to be done for people to take it seriously. I'm in the if you smell it, report it club. The crew is very concerned about the fire hazard.

Edited by mizLORInj