"This might be YOUR vacation, but it's MY life"

When did you hear the speech??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Honestly, not lately because we eat all our meals in Coastal Kitchen (we generally only book ships with CK). On the Oasis class, we haven't been in the Windjammer or the Main Dining room in the past two years. However we linked the Navigator (pre Allure B2B) and Enchantment (post) and on those two ships we stopped the speech before it began by telling the wait staff on night one that we understand the importance of the survey and plan to give them 10s and add that the sure fire way to get something lower is to give us the "survey speech" at any time. Works like a charm.

We tell the cabin attendants the same thing.

We began cruising in 1997 and have heard that speech more times than I can remember.

Edited by beachnative

Honestly, not lately because we eat all our meals in Coastal Kitchen (we generally only book ships with CK). On the Oasis class, we haven't been in the Windjammer or the Main Dining room in the past two years. However we linked the Navigator (pre Allure B2B) and Enchantment (post) and on those two ships we stopped the speech before it began by telling the wait staff on night one that we understand the importance of the survey and plan to give them 10s and add that the sure fire way to get something lower is to give us the "survey speech" at any time. Works like a charm.

We tell the cabin attendants the same thing.

We began cruising in 1997 and have heard that speech more times than I can remember.

So weeks, months, or years? Just wondering as we haven't heard a request to do a survey since at least 2012. Also OP said it was a request for all 5's. I can't remember ever getting a survey 1-5. We get 1-10 after each cruise.

Edited by troykahack

So weeks, months, or years? Just wondering as we haven't heard a request to do a survey since at least 2012. Also OP said it was a request for all 5's. I can't remember ever getting a survey 1-5. We get 1-10 after each cruise.

Can't answer that with accuracy. Don't know, don't care. Just happy to hear the company is putting it on the survey.

Edited by beachnative

IMHO, people should simply stop doing the pointless on-line surveys. If the cruise lines didn't get any back then they might come up with a better, more honest and objective way of finding out how satisfied passengers are.

I'm tired of hearing how I'm causing some poor server to be canned just because I think the food is sub par and rate it poorly.

The service in the MDR on our last cruise was not excellent, not bad, but not what I would even consider really good. I didn't give them a 5 and I don't feel one bit guilty about not doing it.

Edited by mek

Forget it Troy. I've read enough to know that I'm not playing your game.

I guess you missed my point. OP started the thread regarding a 1-5 survey with Waitstaff asking them to give all 5's. OP has not posted since.

We haven't seen a 1-5 survey since I have been cruising in 2012 (that I tracked, SO more and different ships).

Now many are complaining about pressure to fill out this survey that is non existent, 1-5.

Yes, the current survey is 1-10. Nobody has posted on here that I can recall that they were asked to give a 10.

Edited by troykahack

Pinnacle Club and not Port Canaveral. I think Biker lives much closer to FLL and Miami.

Oh...what has that got to do with anything? :confused: That's such a random question.

Yes, Biker's profile says they are in Oakland Park. I will wave next time I drive to work.

Lmaxwell, who often see's Viking Crown Lounges as he arrives and leaves from work.

I guess you missed my point. OP started the thread regarding a 1-5 survey with Waitstaff asking them to give all 5's. OP has not posted since.

We haven't seen a 1-5 survey since I have been cruising in 2012 (that I tracked, SO more and different ships).

Now many are complaining about pressure to fill out this survey that is non existent, 1-5.

Yes, the current survey is 1-10. Nobody has posted on here that I can recall that they were asked to give a 10.

On your last cruise was the assistant waiters name tag on the left or right side?

I am glad it is on the survey as I dislike hearing "the speech".

Same here. It's a bit of a relief to hear RCI might be addressing this, and kudos to the OP for possibly being the one responsible by starting this thread. I've heard that annoying speech so many times and on so many lines, it'll be nice if the practice is finally put to a stop.

Yes, Biker's profile says they are in Oakland Park. I will wave next time I drive to work.

Lmaxwell, who often see's Viking Crown Lounges as he arrives and leaves from work.

I can almost see (but certainly hear) I95 from my place.

Biker, who unfortunately has to go to work in Bermuda tomorrow the easy way - flying.

On my last cruise in October I got the speech from the Head waiter, the main waiter and the assistant waiter. I stopped all of them before they got going. The paper surveys were 1-5 scale, so people who cruised a lot before the online surveys started remember them that way. I also don't think they started the online surveys that long ago, I think my 2015 cruise was still paper.

On my last cruise in October I got the speech from the Head waiter, the main waiter and the assistant waiter. I stopped all of them before they got going. The paper surveys were 1-5 scale, so people who cruised a lot before the online surveys started remember them that way. I also don't think they started the online surveys that long ago, I think my 2015 cruise was still paper.

Curious what ship that was on.

Curious what ship that was on.

I really think you are trolling now. But this October was Liberty. Last October ('15) was on Freedom and got the speech there as well. The October before that was Disney Fantasy and I got the speech there. The June before that ('13) was Oasis MTD and I got the speech every single night even though service was terrible. Etc.

I have no idea how you could've been on multiple cruises and never heard the speech, and then think literally hundreds of posts on here are completely made up.

Liberty.

Good guess, not sure how you knew :eek:.

I really think you are trolling now. But this October was Liberty. Last October ('15) was on Freedom and got the speech there as well. The October before that was Disney Fantasy and I got the speech there. The June before that ('13) was Oasis MTD and I got the speech every single night even though service was terrible. Etc.

I have no idea how you could've been on multiple cruises and never heard the speech, and then think literally hundreds of posts on here are completely made up.

Inquisitive mind. Took all of 20 seconds to find. :)

In the last 12 months, been on 5 different ships (Oasis, Allure, MJ, EN, and Serenade) and have never been asked to give high marks on the Survey, either 5's or 10's. Not saying it doesn't happen, but doesn't happen to us???

In the last 12 months, been on 5 different ships (Oasis, Allure, MJ, EN, and Serenade) and have never been asked to give high marks on the Survey, either 5's or 10's.

Only non-suite folks get hassled for the survey.:p

In the last 12 months, been on 5 different ships (Oasis, Allure, MJ, EN, and Serenade) and have never been asked to give high marks on the Survey, either 5's or 10's. Not saying it doesn't happen, but doesn't happen to us???

I think we've been given the speech in one way or the other on every sailing. What really impressed me the most was the stateroom attendant who passed out business cards so we could get the correct spelling of his name. :rolleyes:

Only non-suite folks get hassled for the survey.:p

Who knows??? I just find it interesting that some have this issue on several recent cruises while others do not. Just trying to figure the connection.

If we were requested to give a certain score, we would just ignore the request. If it happened more than once, we would politely then ask them not to ask again.

I think we've been given the speech in one way or the other on every sailing. What really impressed me the most was the stateroom attendant who passed out business cards so we could get the correct spelling of his name. :rolleyes:

I would say on my cruises we have been on in the last few years, I recall having the Cabin Steward business card in our cabin upon arrival. It was there, with a onboard phone number to reach them. I believe it also included the name of his superior. We were never passed a business card, directly from the Steward. We also had cards for the Concierges.

Still NEVER asked or pressured to fill out a survey.

in my experience not true :D Perhaps it depends on the ship

Maybe it is by Ship. Suppose they rank or compare ships scores. I would suspect a ship with continued low ratings, may ask cruisers for high scores. However, in my opinion, is not the way to address low scores as compared to other ships.

Still NEVER asked or pressured to fill out a survey.

You do know Einstein's definition of insanity, right? No matter how many times you repeat that you've never received the survey speech, it does not change the fact that the overwhelming majority of us have, and have on numerous occasions.