"This might be YOUR vacation, but it's MY life"

Who told you that. A crew member soliciting for a 10 rating.

Well first I didn't say they would be fired; read it again. But everyone knows about the system that they need 10s. So if you don't want to be the cause of problems, rank them at 10. If you didn't like them, rank them based on your understanding of the system and now how their managers use it. Your choice.

I'm confused. Why would you give someone the highest possible rating and then turn around and complain to RCCL? :confused:

Because the rating system is NOT being used how we think it will be used.

I had an issue with servers in Adventure because they were too nice. Makes no sense right?

We are vegetarian. We generally ask for vegetarian Indian food at dinner because the veggie options are bleah to us. I tried to get the family to just hit WJ this time but they wouldn't. So the first night we endured the menu. First breakfast DH meets someone who tells us he wants to help with dinner and he'll arrange something so when we are seated for dinner we ask for they sound chef. He comes out and tells us he has great things planned.

So each night we are offered appetizers and then they bring that and Indian food out. Sounds fine. The first night of it it was. But each subsequent night they bring out more and more. Even the first night of it there was food left behind. And each night it's getting worse. So much waste. And they are doing this extra thing so we don't want to be rude but we keep telling the server "this is too much food, we just don't and can't eat this much".

Last night was ridiculous. Embarrassing.

They weren't listening to us, but it was mainly coming from the kitchen. It wasn't the server's fault. It's above his paygrade to take his boss aside and say "can you tell me if you are making an appetizer so I can stop letting them order one? Can you tell me what you'll be ringing to them? Can you not bring huge servings but just the small ones from the first time?" He was nervous enough as it was.

So I rated them high and I sent a separate email. Putting blame where it belonged. The rotten menu and the kitchen overdoing the kind gesture without people listening to us or looking at the waste they were causing.

We were on the Oasis where we had a terrible server. She never remembered what we usually drink even though it was the same every night. She never remembered that we also want water besides the juices we usually ordered. She had to ask every time how we liked our steak. We actually complained about the menu saying the options were limited. We only found out through another server during lunch that there were other items not on the menu the server can order for us. When we asked her about it at dinner, sure enough there were other options available which she never cared to tell us about.

Its not that we have high expectations, but being we have been on other cruises and have always had great servers we realized how lacking she was. The last 3 nights of our stay she continued to tell us we need to give her a perfect score. It almost felt like threats. We couldn't put ourselves to lie on the survey, but we couldn't do the survey and jeopardize her job. So for the first time cruising, we neglected to do the survey.

We were on the Oasis where we had a terrible server. She never remembered what we usually drink even though it was the same every night. She never remembered that we also want water besides the juices we usually ordered. She had to ask every time how we liked our steak. We actually complained about the menu saying the options were limited. We only found out through another server during lunch that there were other items not on the menu the server can order for us. When we asked her about it at dinner, sure enough there were other options available which she never cared to tell us about.

Its not that we have high expectations, but being we have been on other cruises and have always had great servers we realized how lacking she was. The last 3 nights of our stay she continued to tell us we need to give her a perfect score. It almost felt like threats. We couldn't put ourselves to lie on the survey, but we couldn't do the survey and jeopardize her job. So for the first time cruising, we neglected to do the survey.

Why not jeopardize her job?

I spent seven years in the Satisfaction professional arena. The surveys are designed specifically for the customer of that industry. Your responses should be from the customer perspective, not what the crew asks for.

In my industry, we are prohibited from asking/coaching to a specific score, even though we only receive credit for the highest rating. The intent is to strive for consistent, stellar service. The Kano model states, "What delights the Customer today, the Customer expects tomorrow".

Any time I experience either stellar customer service, or poor customer service, I tell the provider I will mention his/her name on the survey. Then, I do it. I must admit, a little extra cash tip with special crew members has always garnered great service!

Well first I didn't say they would be fired; read it again. But everyone knows about the system that they need 10s. So if you don't want to be the cause of problems, rank them at 10. If you didn't like them, rank them based on your understanding of the system and now how their managers use it. Your choice.

Obviously you have my post confused with another. Reread my post to you . No where did I use the word "fired" you used the word "fired". As a matter of fact I was asking you a simple one line question followed by a comment.

Edited by davekathy

Why not jeopardize her job?

Because we wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps she was new to the job and still learning the ropes. Yes she was terrible from our perspective but thats because we've always gotten stellar service, so it was surprising to learn from that experience how great our other servers were when compared to her.

There were times where she acted like it was an inconvenience when we asked for a different dish or when asked for drinks other than water. Perhaps our age group (20s), had a lot to do with her aloofness. Usually I travel with my parents so perhaps this garners a different service?

Edited by Lisa8

Lol. That wasn't very wise, especially if you mention his name and his interactions with you.;)

I was thinking the same thing to myself as his pitch for a 10 was unfolding!!! Depending on the guest, this could have turned out much differently than he had intended.

Because of the somber nature of this person all week, it was just a humorous moment for my wife and I as we looked at each other trying to figure out where this new Mr. Happy had been all week.:D

John

Edited by nacdcruiser

Of course it makes no sense to us. Cruiseline and car dealership surveys make no sense. But they are how they are.

And I never knew about dealership surveys until meeting my husband, who was a service writer at Saturn ages ago and whose brother is currently the same at a Cadillac dealership and before at some other dealerships. They told me. A month ago I helped a friend retrieve her car at Honda and they had a huge poster behind the service writers' desk explaining the survey and that if you had any issues or extra compliments to talk about them now and not mention them, and please to make sure service was a 10 so you can give a 10 (or whatever the max rating was).

Basically the same as the cruise line servers are doing. For the same reason.

I highly doubt that car dealerships and cruise lines approach customer satisfaction surveys in the same manner, but you seem to basing your comments on RCI's surveys and how they are interpreted by management on your relatives' auto industry experience. You've already said in relation to RCI crew members that "Unless you want them fired, give them 10s," so tell me, in the auto dealerships does the same apply? Anything less than a 10 and the dealership fires them?

Because we wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps she was new to the job and still learning the ropes. Yes she was terrible from our perspective but thats because we've always gotten stellar service, so it was surprising to learn from that experience how great our other servers were when compared to her.

There were times where she acted like it was an inconvenience when we asked for a different dish or when asked for drinks other than water. Perhaps our age group (20s), had a lot to do with her aloofness. Usually I travel with my parents so perhaps this garners a different service?

I think you had bad luck getting this server. Maybe talking to the head waiter might have helped, but I might not have thought of that, either, on the cruise.

I don't think it was your age. I think the waiter either does not like her job, or is overwhelmed, has personal problems at home, or just does not want to work very hard. Waiters are people, of course, but still have to do a job like the rest of us do in real life, regardless how our life is going. I think waiters like younger people, actually. You just got a lemon for a server.

Well first I didn't say they would be fired; read it again.

This is what you posted:

It's not about being special, it's about keeping their jobs. Unless you want them fired, give them 10s. Or just don't fill out the survey.

How is that not saying they would be fired? :confused:

One night, the assistant waiter came by and confirmed with us that we would be giving all 5s on the Guest Satisfaction survey - for service, food, etc. I told him of course we would give 5s for service, but we did not find the food to be "5" caliber. He said it didn't matter, we should give 5 for everything, and then write what we did not like in the comments. I told him that would not be my honest opinion, and he stressed that I needed to give 5s for everything, even the food. He then said, "This might be YOUR vacation, but it's MY life".

"Then you should have told the kitchen to turn out a better product." If the cruise line is really going to hold the quality of food against the server, or not want to know the actual quality of that food, they'll be better off working somewhere else.

I hate these stupid "We have to have 100% or we fail" surveys. Make it a binary operator then. Pass or fail.

What do you make of this, and what would you have done? I am embarrassed to say that I did not complete the survey because of his words. I could not give all 5s for food that I found to be sub-par, but I did not want to affect this guy's livelihood.

I don't want to pay good money for a cruise and not get what I paid for. It isn't my fault. I always leave honest reviews and will put notes about particular things, but I am not going to just blindly give a perfect score.

I think you had bad luck getting this server. Maybe talking to the head waiter might have helped, but I might not have thought of that, either, on the cruise.

I don't think it was your age. I think the waiter either does not like her job, or is overwhelmed, has personal problems at home, or just does not want to work very hard. Waiters are people, of course, but still have to do a job like the rest of us do in real life, regardless how our life is going. I think waiters like younger people, actually. You just got a lemon for a server.

We would not have talked to her head waiter nonetheless because that would get her in trouble. I dont think her bad service was intentional or unforgivable. We just thought ok she sucks at her job, she will get better with time lol

I have enjoyed reading many of the comments in this thread about the pressure of rating at the highest level so the staff is not penalized. Since the cruising industry has made it mandatory for automatic tipping to avoid some travelers not rewarding hard working staff, I have found the quality of service to have gone downhill. I hope that my pre-paid gratuities are given to staff at the level stated in my cruise contract. I do believe in giving extra money for consistent and good service when I cruise. On my last trip, I was lectured by the maître d' and the waiter at Chops that I should give the wait staff a 5 and make a comment that the quality of my very cold dinner on the comment card. I guess maybe I would have done that if only I didn't have to get up after ten minutes sitting with a plate of cold dinner in front of me to gain their attention to correct the problem. I spoke to Diamond Club concierge the next day about this pressured conversation and frankly he didn't care. I hope RCCL reads these comments so those quality wait staff are rewarded fairly and customers don't have to be intimidated.

kek17

I've never experienced this yet. I haven't cruised in 2 years. Is this on all ships now or just the new ones?? Hope we don't have to deal with that on our upcoming cruise on the Freedom....

Neither. Just off Ovation and didn't hear it at all.

Suspect it's due to individuals and/or their managers, who have a specific belief and approach. Thus, some may get that request on one ship, while others won't.

When we were on the Brilliance in 2014 we had Wow cards to give to staff on the ship. My wife and I both gave our cards to a Bartender in the R bar. He was so excited. He did a great job the whole week and deserved them. This was the only cruise we had the cards.

JoeRum

We've cruised many times but only once on RCL. The food is abysmally low quality and despite my knowing full well that the only score that keeps jobs safe is a five I will be rating the food and in several cases the service a one.

I'd assumed those here who were complaining were the usual sorts of impossible to please that frequent all of the forums. It seems that RCL is running the equivalent of a $5 a head buffet - disgusting food frankly. The MDR food is terrible - McDonald's food is better.

At the buffet the cooks (they are not chefs) can't be bothered to butcher the meat to remove veins. At chops the food was cold and the truffled fries had no truffle added. Food scraps were left on the table between courses. At Izumi the firsh appeared to have been frozen - the worst nigiri I have ever had. The Italian was surprisingly okay.

I'd rather RCL charge another $100 a day (or more) and for them to provide restaurant grade food. Yes we can pay for specialty dining and we did for all but the one night we were caught unaware but even this doesn't really work on ships with only three options and more so given the up-sell options aren't good enough.

The suite breakfast is terrible; granted the buffet is worse. Lunch is unacceptable although the concierge sandwiches were reasonable.

Perhaps their issue is trying to accommodate the lowest possible prices to fill their ships whilst forgetting those who are paying considerably more don't want to be served pet food.

For our next cerise it's too late to get a suite on the itenarary we want with another line; after that though we're back to a proper line.

Food on P&O Australia is better and I used to think that was the worst you could get.

Edited by MrYellowDuck

We've cruised many times but only once on RCL. The food is abysmally low quality and despite my knowing full well that the only score that keeps jobs safe is a five I will be rating the food and in several cases the service a one.

I'd assumed those here who were complaining were the usual sorts of impossible to please that frequent all of the forums. It seems that RCL is running the equivalent of a $5 a head buffet - disgusting food frankly. The MDR food is terrible - McDonald's food is better.

At the buffet the cooks (they are not chefs) can't be bothered to butcher the meat to remove veins. At chops the food was cold and the truffled fries had no truffle added. Food scraps were left on the table between courses. At Izumi the firsh appeared to have been frozen - the worst nigiri I have ever had. The Italian was surprisingly okay.

I'd rather RCL charge another $100 a day (or more) and for them to provide restaurant grade food. Yes we can pay for specialty dining and we did for all but the one night we were caught unaware but even this doesn't really work on ships with only three options and more so given the up-sell options aren't good enough.

The suite breakfast is terrible; granted the buffet is worse. Lunch is unacceptable although the concierge sandwiches were reasonable.

Perhaps their issue is trying to accommodate the lowest possible prices to fill their ships whilst forgetting those who are paying considerably more don't want to be served pet food.

For our next cerise it's too late to get a suite on the itenarary we want with another line; after that though we're back to a proper line.

Food on P&O Australia is better and I used to think that was the worst you could get.

You seem to be on the fence about the food. Did you actually like it or not?

On sea days on Harmony they opened the restaurant for lunch which included a buffet or/ and a table service. The buffet and service was fantastic and I told the restaurant manager that when we left.

The windjammer buffet was nice when it wasn't full on port days.

Our tips/service charge only gives the staff a basic wage but they want these jobs so I have no problem giving excellent marks and extra tips when I think they are deserved which is most of the time.

Some staff might look miserable but think how you would feel if you did not see your wife/ husband and kids for several months at a time.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app