"This might be YOUR vacation, but it's MY life"

We were on Harmony 1/21 thru 1/28 and it was on our survey. Interestingly enough, the only person that mentioned it was a person that pretty much treated us like a bother during several interactions (unlike any other staff person we encountered) until we thanked him on the last day and he smiled and filled out a post it note with his name and instructions for how to give him a 10 and requested we mention his name. :rolleyes:

John

Lol. That wasn't very wise, espically if you mention his name and his interactions with you.;)

On the last few cruises, on multiple different cruise lines,

How recently? After the topic being beaten to death. (forgive me) it was non-existent on my last cruise (10/17/16). Anyone still seeing excessive requests for 10, or this is just another beating the dead horse thread.?

I don't like it either. At my work we get marked on a 1-6 scale . I normally get 4's and 5's which is pretty good. If I work hard and I don't get a 6 why should I give everyone else a 10. The last few times I found myself more annoyed and just didn't bother doing the survrey. Unless I had something that was bugging me that I had to say.

I meant to add, the survey I completed asked if any crew member asked me to give a positive rating and if so, in what area. I answered honestly. Again, I don't want to get anyone in trouble but I do want to be honest. I just don't understand why the crew tell us to give all positive ratings. And if RCCL is telling them to do that, stop! It's annoying.

yup. I equate it to every retail cashier asking me if I want their in house store credit card. as a former retail employee we were required to get at least 3 such applications per week. and if we failed to do so on average, then our employee review reflected that. I never asked, ever, and a few times the wandering manager would chastise me. my response was: look at my stats. you know the thing that says I have the fastest check out time and the fewest errors of anyone in my department. as a result my overall daily sales average was far higher than the next person behind me. I point blank said customers find its rude and bothersome to be asked, most will NOT pay the 'three times higher than your bank credit card' interest and many hate having to keep track of yet another bill every month.

one year, the store manager finally admitted at one of our big meetings that the number of 'bad' credit card applications had quadrupled so Corporate finally got rid of the requirement.

On the last few cruises, on multiple different cruise lines, the crew members, on the final night, would make it clear to us that we needed to rate them and their service a perfect 10 in all categories. Why do they do that? After a wonderful week, it was an awkward way to conclude an otherwise awesome vacation. If service is worthy of a 10, I'll happily give a 10. But if service is less than perfect, do I lie? For example, our waiter was great. He was kind and hard-working. But was there room for improvement? Probably. I don't want to get him in trouble by not giving him a 10, but I also don't feel that a 10 is an accurate rating of the service I received. A 7 or 8 would be more accurate I think. Still good, but not excellent. What do you do in this situation?
Anything less than a ten is bad for the crew, period. So give him a 10. You said he was kind and hard working, don't get to silly here just give the 10.

Anything less than a ten is bad for the crew, period. So give him a 10. You said he was kind and hard working, don't get to silly here just give the 10.

Totally deflates the ranking system. Remember nds me of that bit of dialogue by the bad guy in The Incredibles. 'If everyone is special, no one is' or along those lines.

I equate a 1-10 scale as 5 being average and what you can reasonably expect from cruise staff. To earn a ten, they need to blow me away. That means by the second night, they have my glass of lemonade brought out as soon as I sit down, and knowing that I require three slices of that cranberry bread, toasted, with room temp butter at breakfast.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Totally deflates the ranking system. Remember nds me of that bit of dialogue by the bad guy in The Incredibles. 'If everyone is special, no one is' or along those lines.

I equate a 1-10 scale as 5 being average and what you can reasonably expect from cruise staff. To earn a ten, they need to blow me away. That means by the second night, they have my glass of lemonade brought out as soon as I sit down, and knowing that I require three slices of that cranberry bread, toasted, with room temp butter at breakfast.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But your way of using the system isn't their way. Your way doesn't count. If you want your way to count become the CEO and change it.

It's not about being special, it's about keeping their jobs. Unless you want them fired, give them 10s. Or just don't fill out the survey.

How recently? After the topic being beaten to death. (forgive me) it was non-existent on my last cruise (10/17/16). Anyone still seeing excessive requests for 10, or this is just another beating the dead horse thread.?

Considering I just got off Freedom of the Seas on Sunday, January 29 (2 days ago), I'd say pretty recent. It also happened on a Princess Cruise in November 2016. So it's definitely still happening and the question about being asked to give all 10's was on the survey I completed last night. So again, pretty recent.

But your way of using the system isn't their way. Your way doesn't count. If you want your way to count become the CEO and change it.

It's not about being special, it's about keeping their jobs. Unless you want them fired, give them 10s. Or just don't fill out the survey.

Sorry, I don't believe that for a second.

This soliciting of high survey marks was the main reason I left Princess. If they start doing this on RCCL I'll have to reconsider my loyalty.

And of course it totally defeats the purpose. Corporations are eager for top marks because studies show that only top marks guarantee brand loyalty. But of course in those studies top marks were not actively solicited, so it seems like a big game and waste of time.

Hmm, we didn't have any mention of the survey on our last cruise (first on RCI), but we only ate in the MDR once.

What we DID have was a very awkward conversation with our server, which started with her talking about how cute our baby was (thanks) and then devolved into how there is no joy in her household anymore because her sister moved out with her baby and now no one in her family has a reason to be happy (um...).

Windjammer for us!

That doesn't really make sense. The survey that has a ranking that goes up to 10 (double the fidelity of the 5-star system used on Amazon, Netflix, Tripadvisor Yelp, etc.)

If anything less than a 10 is a 0 then it is a boolean system, the survey would have a yes/no, good/bad checkbox. Why bother with the 10 scale?

There is a lot of value to a manager in having a real number like 7 or 3 vs just a 0 or a 10. As a manager, if I simply see all 0's or all 10's I don't have nearly the detail that I need.

That doesn't really make sense. The survey that has a ranking that goes up to 10 (double the fidelity of the 5-star system used on Amazon, Netflix, Tripadvisor Yelp, etc.)

If anything less than a 10 is a 0 then it is a boolean system, the survey would have a yes/no, good/bad checkbox. Why bother with the 10 scale?

There is a lot of value to a manager in having a real number like 7 or 3 vs just a 0 or a 10. As a manager, if I simply see all 0's or all 10's I don't have nearly the detail that I need.

👍 Very well expressed.

Nice post! Certainly it is not unusual for workers, managers, and survey participants to all have a different view of the intent of the survey. If, as some suggest, a rating of less than 10 will result in a firing then the survey is a waste of time. More likely they have been fed a load of manure by the ship employees.

Be honest when completing the surveys. They are a tool for management to identify area in need of attention.

Surely RCCL must be aware of the pressure being put on us to give the highest ratings, and therefore realize that the surveys are most likely inaccurate. My suggestion is to give the highest ratings, and then contact RCCL if you were not satisfied with something particular. :)

Surely RCCL must be aware of the pressure being put on us to give the highest ratings, and therefore realize that the surveys are most likely inaccurate. My suggestion is to give the highest ratings, and then contact RCCL if you were not satisfied with something particular. :)

I think that is why they added that line of questioning to some surveys.

I for one can't give a ten for something less than really, really, good.

Are you saying you would give someone a 10 that doesn't deserve that rating and then later call RCI and complain about that individual? Talk about throwing someone under the bus. I'll pass on your suggestion.

I'm confused. Why would you give someone the highest possible rating and then turn around and complain to RCCL? :confused:

It baffles me how anyone would actually believe that load of crap. Not only does it not make sense, it's just not possible.

Of course it makes no sense to us. Cruiseline and car dealership surveys make no sense. But they are how they are.

And I never knew about dealership surveys until meeting my husband, who was a service writer at Saturn ages ago and whose brother is currently the same at a Cadillac dealership and before at some other dealerships. They told me. A month ago I helped a friend retrieve her car at Honda and they had a huge poster behind the service writers' desk explaining the survey and that if you had any issues or extra compliments to talk about them now and not mention them, and please to make sure service was a 10 so you can give a 10 (or whatever the max rating was).

Basically the same as the cruise line servers are doing. For the same reason.

Edited by mollyeilis