Live From The Mariner, Villages of the Amazon, 26 Nov - 21 Dec

TahoeTraveler

Really have enjoyed your posts.

We had a young friend from Tulsa who was a singer on regent several years ago, and we happened to sail on the ship when she was onboard. Regent is really strict about their dining policy as far as the performers go, but with good reason. They do not want the performers being nice to guests just to get free meals. The performer has to ask permission from the CD to go to dinner with guests in CR, and they can only do this on nights when they do not have a performance. The rules are really there for a purpose, though it may seem strange to us.

The 4x4 tour was one of the included tours. Which brings me to a point I was going to make later on when I do some final thoughts, but I'll go ahead and post it here. We did not cruise on Regent when the excursions were not included, but I honestly think they should consider going back to that policy. Our last cruise was 2 years ago, and in that time we have seen a real decline in the quality of the tours, as well as, quite frankly, the competence of the Destinations personnel. I'm sorry, but the information they give out is at best incomplete and at worst, downright misleading. I truly believe that if the tours were not included in the cruise fare, a couple of things would happen. First, I think the tours would improve because Regent would have motivation to make them good (since guests are paying for them). Secondly, I believe the Destinations staff would have more motivation to do their job well. They wouldn't be so overworked and might actually be helpful, honest and nice. And finally, Regent wouldn't be losing so much money on people booking tours and then canceling them at the last minute or just not showing up at all for them (34 people cancelled the catamaran tour at the last minute yesterday, and I'm pretty sure Regent had to absorb the cost of those seats). Yes, I know Regent technically charges us all for the tours in the cruise fare and doesn't actually lose money...but I'd rather see a lower fare and pay for my own tours. That way, when I break a leg or something else the next time, I don't feel like I paid for something I couldn't take advantage of!!!

Thank you for the information on the 4 x 4 tour. If I didn't know better, I would have thought that I wrote your comments regarding included excursions (you do write better than I do). Unfortunately, the included excursions seems to be a draw for some Regent passengers (particularly new ones). For that reason, I suggest being able to opt out of excursions as we can do with airfare and hotels (all three of these items are not part of the onboard experience and are done by outside companies).

In terms of Destination Services - they are so bad that I don't even want to go there again....... however, the head of Destination Services on our recent cruise only showed up on the most expensive excursion (she was not needed - there were 17 guests, a tour guide and Regent's Culinary Center Chef). She ate more than my DH and I combined. Ok - enough ranting - looking forward to the rest of your cruise.

In terms of Destination Services - they are so bad that I don't even want to go there again....... however, the head of Destination Services on our recent cruise only showed up on the most expensive excursion (she was not needed - there were 17 guests, a tour guide and Regent's Culinary Center Chef). She ate more than my DH and I combined. Ok - enough ranting - looking forward to the rest of your cruise.

If Destination Services is so consistently bad, why doesn't Regent do something about it?

If Destination Services is so consistently bad, why doesn't Regent do something about it?

That is the million dollar question. To be far, they have some new people that are pretty good, but there are two long timers, one male and one female, that are totally impossible. I just turn around and come back later if I see either of them.

To be fair, there was one young women from Destination Services that was extremely kind to my DH when we went stand-by on an excursion. If he had gotten her name we would have written it down on our final cruise questionnaire. However, the one that I believe is the head of Destination Services (on the Explorer earlier this month) is the worst person that I have ever seen that deals with the public. Due to the way she treated us on a previous cruise, I reported her - not only onboard to the G.M. but to Miami. This is the one and only time that I have done that (usually when I feel the need to escalate something to corporate it is about the wonderful service that we received onboard - we did that on our last cruise regarding F&B Director Daniella, Restaurant Manager Vladimir and Cruise Director John Barron!)

We entered the harbor at St. John's Antigua early in the morning, and, as with Barbados, found the island to be absolutely beautiful. Seriously...it was an incredibly gorgeous entrance into the port, and we enjoyed the experience immensely. However, there were storm clouds overhead, which forebode some bad weather for the day.

Having been to Antigua a couple of years ago, we weren't interested in an island tour (we'd done that already), so we opted for the catamaran and lobster tour. We were concerned, however, because the weather looked so hinky. But we decided to go ahead and do the tour, and we are so glad we did. Even though the catamarans are those huge monstrosities designed to hold 80 people, we only had 45 on board, so it was actually quite pleasant (apparently 34 tickets were turned in right before the excursion because people were worried about the weather). After hobbling to the boat (I was really proud of myself for making it there on my broken foot!), I found a spot on the front where I could actually get some sun and enjoy the view (those who chose to take a bench seat in back did not have nearly the photo opportunities that I did). We set out, and only hit rain once on the way to the first beach. The scenery was fantastic, and it was one of those "Oh, I am so glad I did this" experiences. We were allowed about an hour on the beach (Mike and I opted to head to the restaurant and sample their conch fritters, which were really good) and then re-boarded, only to be taken just a bit off shore for the lobster lunch. The lobsters were cooked in their shells on a grill on the back of the catamaran, and, quite frankly, were better than any lobsters we've gotten on board the Mariner (hello...we don't need all the butter and fat added to a decent lobster for it to taste amazing). The sides were actually good as well, and their hot sauce was, in a word, dangerous. I added a bunch of it to my rice without tasting it first, and that was a mistake. There were definitely ghost peppers in there, and I'm not sure what else. Whoa...not enough alcohol in the world to make that easy going down (although they did start serving beer, wine, champagne, and rum punch once the lunch started...and it kept flowing until we made it back to the port). Super nice experience, and then we headed back to the port.

We had one more stop at another beach, and were able to watch the most amazing sunset from there. Our camera apparently had some sort of malfunction and Mike didn't get a couple of really nice shots, but he did get a few, which I will hopefully post when I get home. It was a short stop, but well worth it just for the sunset.

We were the last ones back on the ship, and luckily had called our butler ahead of time to just have pizza delivered to our cabin. We knew we'd be too tired to do anything after that tour, and figured we'd just have a pizza party with some of our trivia players instead. The pizza was so good we finished it and had to call for more!!! How awesome is it though that we have the ability to do that???

I went to the show while Mike went to bed. It was another guest singer...she was really very good, but had little interaction with the orchestra or the audience, and so was a bit boring. I just headed back to the cabin and went to bed...San Juan was waiting.

Unfortunately, the seas were in a bit of a bad mood and we were rocking and rolling all the way into Puerto Rico. It wasn't an issue for us, but I could see how someone more sensitive to the movement could have some problems.

With my foot issues, I had cancelled our rain forest hike tour in Puerto Rico. I was hoping to just walk into town and see the fortresses, but that wasn't to be. I think perhaps I overdid it the previous day, and realized my foot wasn't going to cooperate for a long walk to and within the forts. So Mike and I stayed on board for the San Juan stop. It wasn't a problem, as there were several activities on board the ship. But I had hoped to do a bit of hiking around the forts, and my stupid clumsiness prevented that from happening...I'm not exactly happy with myself these days. But I think perhaps that is just a by-product of being on a ship for so long. I have found that as the cruise goes on and on and on, I have much less tolerance for little issues and snooty people. God help me (and everyone around me) if I ever choose to do a world cruise.

We ate a hasty dinner at Sette Mari (as we arrived a bit late, due to enjoying the hot tubs at 6:30...hey, we're on vacation, right????), and then headed to the show right as we were sailing out of San Juan. The show was amazing...and even more so considering the swells. The captain had made an announcement that we were going to encounter some bad rolling due to the swells as soon as we left San Juan, and she wasn't kidding. I have no idea how the production crew managed to pull it off, but they did a great job. Seriously. I was so concerned someone was going to do a Tami (euphemism for having an accident) because of the swells, that I almost couldn't watch the show. But they ended up doing great, and it was truthfully our favorite one of the whole cruise (it was a tribute to some popular movies and their featured songs). Those kids deserve some serious kudos for all the work they do...although I wish the dancers didn't look so much alike (we honestly cannot tell the difference between the four female dancers when they're on stage...they are all tall, blonde, and exceptionally skinny. Where is the cake? There needs to be cake for those poor starving girls).

After dinner, we went to the Horizons Lounge to listen to dance music by the Regent Signature Orchestra. As I've already mentioned, we are very impressed with them, as have been many other performers who have worked with them. We talked to the bass player afterwards, and found out that he joined the ship the same day we boarded...yet to hear and see him, you'd think he'd been on board with the other members for months. They are an amazing and talented group, and we are lucky to have them on board.

Got lots of miscellaneous info to pass along, but it will have to wait until tomorrow (I promise I'll actually post then!!!). It's 1am here and I'm beat. Can't wait to get home to get some rest from this vacation!!!!!

Edited by TahoeTraveler

Thank you for taking another excursion that I can add to our list for next year (you are making it very easy for us);)

Hope that you had a good night's sleep. Looking forward to your Puerto Rico adventures. The last time we were there (only time), it took forever to get cleared to go ashore. Hope that this is not the case when you disembark.

Thank you for taking another excursion that I can add to our list for next year (you are making it very easy for us);)

Hope that you had a good night's sleep. Looking forward to your Puerto Rico adventures. The last time we were there (only time), it took forever to get cleared to go ashore. Hope that this is not the case when you disembark.

We were in Puerto Rico two years ago and didn't do the immigration thing then, so we were surprised when we were told everyone had to clear immigration before being allowed off the ship there. We actually docked 3 hours early, but the immigration folks refused to come out early to process the ship. So everyone sat on board, getting antsy to get off the ship, while we waited for them to come process us. However, once they started the process, it went really fast because they split it up by decks so there wasn't a long line at any time.

We entered the harbor at St. John's Antigua early in the morning, and, as with Barbados, found the island to be absolutely beautiful. Seriously...it was an incredibly gorgeous entrance into the port, and we enjoyed the experience immensely. However, there were storm clouds overhead, which forebode some bad weather for the day.

Having been to Antigua a couple of years ago, we weren't interested in an island tour (we'd done that already), so we opted for the catamaran and lobster tour. We were concerned, however, because the weather looked so hinky. But we decided to go ahead and do the tour, and we are so glad we did. Even though the catamarans are those huge monstrosities designed to hold 80 people, we only had 45 on board, so it was actually quite pleasant (apparently 34 tickets were turned in right before the excursion because people were worried about the weather). After hobbling to the boat (I was really proud of myself for making it there on my broken foot!), I found a spot on the front where I could actually get some sun and enjoy the view (those who chose to take a bench seat in back did not have nearly the photo opportunities that I did). We set out, and only hit rain once on the way to the first beach. The scenery was fantastic, and it was one of those "Oh, I am so glad I did this" experiences. We were allowed about an hour on the beach (Mike and I opted to head to the restaurant and sample their conch fritters, which were really good) and then re-boarded, only to be taken just a bit off shore for the lobster lunch. The lobsters were cooked in their shells on a grill on the back of the catamaran, and, quite frankly, were better than any lobsters we've gotten on board the Mariner (hello...we don't need all the butter and fat added to a decent lobster for it to taste amazing). The sides were actually good as well, and their hot sauce was, in a word, dangerous. I added a bunch of it to my rice without tasting it first, and that was a mistake. There were definitely ghost peppers in there, and I'm not sure what else. Whoa...not enough alcohol in the world to make that easy going down (although they did start serving beer, wine, champagne, and rum punch once the lunch started...and it kept flowing until we made it back to the port). Super nice experience, and then we headed back to the port.

We had one more stop at another beach, and were able to watch the most amazing sunset from there. Our camera apparently had some sort of malfunction and Mike didn't get a couple of really nice shots, but he did get a few, which I will hopefully post when I get home. It was a short stop, but well worth it just for the sunset.

We were the last ones back on the ship, and luckily had called our butler ahead of time to just have pizza delivered to our cabin. We knew we'd be too tired to do anything after that tour, and figured we'd just have a pizza party with some of our trivia players instead. The pizza was so good we finished it and had to call for more!!! How awesome is it though that we have the ability to do that???

I went to the show while Mike went to bed. It was another guest singer...she was really very good, but had little interaction with the orchestra or the audience, and so was a bit boring. I just headed back to the cabin and went to bed...San Juan was waiting.

Unfortunately, the seas were in a bit of a bad mood and we were rocking and rolling all the way into Puerto Rico. It wasn't an issue for us, but I could see how someone more sensitive to the movement could have some problems.

With my foot issues, I had cancelled our rain forest hike tour in Puerto Rico. I was hoping to just walk into town and see the fortresses, but that wasn't to be. I think perhaps I overdid it the previous day, and realized my foot wasn't going to cooperate for a long walk to and within the forts. So Mike and I stayed on board for the San Juan stop. It wasn't a problem, as there were several activities on board the ship. But I had hoped to do a bit of hiking around the forts, and my stupid clumsiness prevented that from happening...I'm not exactly happy with myself these days. But I think perhaps that is just a by-product of being on a ship for so long. I have found that as the cruise goes on and on and on, I have much less tolerance for little issues and snooty people. God help me (and everyone around me) if I ever choose to do a world cruise.

We ate a hasty dinner at Sette Mari (as we arrived a bit late, due to enjoying the hot tubs at 6:30...hey, we're on vacation, right????), and then headed to the show right as we were sailing out of San Juan. The show was amazing...and even more so considering the swells. The captain had made an announcement that we were going to encounter some bad rolling due to the swells as soon as we left San Juan, and she wasn't kidding. I have no idea how the production crew managed to pull it off, but they did a great job. Seriously. I was so concerned someone was going to do a Tami (euphemism for having an accident) because of the swells, that I almost couldn't watch the show. But they ended up doing great, and it was truthfully our favorite one of the whole cruise (it was a tribute to some popular movies and their featured songs). Those kids deserve some serious kudos for all the work they do...although I wish the dancers didn't look so much alike (we honestly cannot tell the difference between the four female dancers when they're on stage...they are all tall, blonde, and exceptionally skinny. Where is the cake? There needs to be cake for those poor starving girls).

After dinner, we went to the Horizons Lounge to listen to dance music by the Regent Signature Orchestra. As I've already mentioned, we are very impressed with them, as have been many other performers who have worked with them. We talked to the bass player afterwards, and found out that he joined the ship the same day we boarded...yet to hear and see him, you'd think he'd been on board with the other members for months. They are an amazing and talented group, and we are lucky to have them on board.

Got lots of miscellaneous info to pass along, but it will have to wait until tomorrow (I promise I'll actually post then!!!). It's 1am here and I'm beat. Can't wait to get home to get some rest from this vacation!!!!!

Enough text in your combined reporting to create a travel article of this one cruise. Anhyone planning to make this same cruise would certainly benefit from your detail and observations. For the life of me, why can't I get you started on your own book of military adventures? Why? You have the skills and, most important, you have the grist for a real woman's war story. On top of all this, you still have the recall and the military conacts to work with. No, more vacationing on Regent, stay home and write. Jack

Santa's elves showed up last night and decorated the Mariner...we watched some of them and our understanding is that they stayed up until 2am doing it. So for those of you joining the ship on Wednesday, please consider giving them big kudos for their hard work.

We are at sea on our next to last day of the cruise, and the Captain's Farewell and Krew Kapers are both tonight. I'm glad I will have the Krew Kapers to look forward to, as the 9:30 show is again that magician/comedian...who is also apparently a hypnotist, as he has an uncanny ability to put half the audience to sleep. I thought I'd pass along some miscellaneous info for everyone regarding the Mariner...if anyone has already heard some of these things through CC (which I am not currently monitoring) or elsewhere, I apologize for the duplication of information.

First and foremost, Mariner will not be going into dry dock next April. Instead, two 7-day cruises to Cuba have been added during those two weeks. I do not know the reason, but can only assume that with the capital outlay for the Explorer, they are cutting corners now (I know the Navigator's dry dock was delayed as well). What this has meant is that maintenance is now going on throughout the ship...things like men showing up to paint the balcony when you least want them to be there. I know that they now have to get things done to keep the ship in decent condition, thanks to the cancellation of the refurbishment, but it does add a bit of annoyance to those of us on board. Just a heads up for anyone expecting a refreshed ship in May, or those who may have to deal with the ongoing maintenance in the near future.

The so-called "art" on this ship is horrendous, IMO. I do not consider paintings of books to be visually appealing, and the "artist" on board apparently is famous for his inflatable Janis heads (if you're not familiar with Frank Hyder and his concept of Janis, basically he has designed these very large inflatable heads with two faces...one looking to the past and one to the future). Those ugly things keep popping up all around the ship, and are annoying the you-know-what out of most of the passengers and crew (there are, of course, some people who appreciate that type of "art"...unfortunately, the majority on board do not, myself included). It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't constantly being placed in locations that invariably get in the way of some activity or other, and if they had a nicer color scheme (they are bright red with black lines down the face on one side, and another color with the same black lines on the other side, and are just unattractive as hell). He also has paintings of fish (yes, fish) all on the walls everywhere on the 5th and 6th decks, and yes, they are for sale (I thought Regent had gotten over that art selling business). I do not know if he is going to continue on for future voyages, but for everyone else's sake, I sure hope not.

Another person on board who has proven to be an annoyance is the acupuncturist, Ram. Apparently he is new to the Mariner, and Regent, and REALLY wants to keep working here. He is very hard sell and, quite frankly, is a bit creepy as well, as he seems to pop up at the most inconvenient times, much like Frank Hyder's heads. We went to check out the spa on embarkation day and he was there harking his trade. We politely showed interest because we simply thought it was the nice thing to do. Big mistake. He took that for us actually being interested in his acupuncture. Don't get me wrong...acupuncture works great for many, many things. But when you live in Po-Dunk-Ville, Nevada, there are no acupuncturists anywhere around, and it doesn't make sense to start a regiment of treatments that you have no hope of continuing once off the ship. But after that, every time he saw me, he'd approach me and start talking about his work. It was super annoying when he dragged us into one of his seminars when we innocently walked by the Stars Lounge, and then spent the whole time staring right at me as he talked about the wonderful benefits of acupuncture to the face...including the fact that it tightens the skin and makes you look younger. He might as well just have said I look like Sea Hag and been done with it. It got to the point that if I saw him anywhere in the direction I was headed, I'd turn around and go the other way. I half expected to open my balcony curtains one morning and find him standing there, grinning that creepy smile at me (there's still another day to go, though, so it could still happen). It isn't just me, by the way. Some of the staff who we've talked to (who will remain nameless, but trust me, they are not at the lower echelon of the pecking order) have also said that he creeps them out. Regent really needs to re-think who they bring on board sometimes, I'm afraid.

We had booked a cruise for January 2018 with the future cruise consultant, but then found out that Regent is offering those $3,000 certificates towards a future cruise, good for 2 years with the onboard discount offered on any cruise you use the certificate towards, and fully refundable within the 2 years, so we went and bought one of those, and will cancel the January 2018 cruise when we get home. We just cannot afford, both money-wise and time-wise, to cruise more than once every couple of years, if not longer, and the certificate gives us a lot of flexibility, especially since you just have to book the cruise within 2 years (you do not have to sail within 2 years). This gives us the option of waiting for up to 3 1/2 years potentially for our next cruise. Not that I want to do that...but we have to be realistic about how much time Mike can be away from his job (which he may not even have anymore after this cruise, as apparently his boss did a complete 180 about it after we left and is now giving him crap about how much time he has spent away from work...ignoring the fact that he has actually put in over 30 billable hours while on board). The fully refundable part is great as well...the only thing you don't get by going the certificate versus booking an actual future cruise while on board is the $100 shipboard credit and the free cruise DVD. So just wanted to let everyone know that Regent is offering those certificates, should the flexibility of them work out better for you than booking an actual cruise (Eddie, our future cruise consultant, didn't even tell us about the certificate option, even though he knew we were looking for a more flexible option than booking an actual cruise. It wasn't until we got a notice in our Passages late in the cruise about it that we found out the program existed, and we immediately took advantage of it).

I am finally out enjoying the large balcony we paid so much extra for, because we are finally far enough north that I can stand the temperature out here. Now if I can just get to that book I brought...!

More later.

Edited by TahoeTraveler

Great comments. Just for your information and others onboard the Mariner, an announcement has been made about the delayed refurbishment. The place where the work was to be done was hit by Hurricane Matthew and it was no longer viable (no place for the 1,400 - 1,800 workers that they need to be housed). To play it safe, the Mariner will be refurbished in the spring of 2018 - in Europe. It is sad for the people that lost their homes and some lost their lives in Hurricane Matthew. We booked the Amazon cruise for next November with the knowledge that she will not be refurbished.

Really hoping that selling artwork will not return to Regent. It has been so nice not having the sales people around. Hope that you mention this on your final comment card (and the acupuncturist as well - no one wants or need a hard sell while on vacation).

Hope you are getting some rest today!

Edited by Travelcat2

Great comments. Just for your information and others onboard the Mariner, an announcement has been made about the delayed refurbishment. The place where the work was to be done was hit by Hurricane Matthew and it was no longer viable (no place for the 1,400 - 1,800 workers that they need to be housed). To play it safe, the Mariner will be refurbished in the spring of 2018 - in Europe. It is sad for the people that lost their homes and some lost their lives in Hurricane Matthew. We booked the Amazon cruise for next November with the knowledge that she will not be refurbished.

Really hoping that selling artwork will not return to Regent. It has been so nice not having the sales people around. Hope that you mention this on your final comment card (and the acupuncturist as well - no one wants or need a hard sell while on vacation).

Hope you are getting some rest today!

My 38 year old nephew died during Hurricane Matthew. He lived in southeast Georgia and was on anti-seizure medication. He ran out of it during the storm and my brother went to go get more...when he got back he found his son had passed away while he was gone. So I have a personal connection with those affected by Matthew...and agree that our thoughts should be more with them than the Mariner's refurbishment (obviously I had no idea that was the reason for the delay). Thanks so much for setting the record straight for us all.

My 38 year old nephew died during Hurricane Matthew. He lived in southeast Georgia and was on anti-seizure medication. He ran out of it during the storm and my brother went to go get more...when he got back he found his son had passed away while he was gone. So I have a personal connection with those affected by Matthew...and agree that our thoughts should be more with them than the Mariner's refurbishment (obviously I had no idea that was the reason for the delay). Thanks so much for setting the record straight for us all.

How devastating! My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Tami,

I'm so sorry. My thoughts are with you.

Peggy

Thank you Peggy. It has been an awful year for our family, and we just got a call from our 18 year old daughter, telling us she was just in a car accident. She is fine, which is all that matters...but I wonder how much will continue to be piled on. It is a good thing I guess that we are getting off the Mariner soon...seems like we've got some new issues to deal with when we get home.

We have really enjoyed your blog and thanks so much for posting! We'll be doing the same cruise next November. Now a quickie question, since you mentioned "art". Is the "chicken wire man" still hanging in the elevator shaft? If he's still there, you'd know immediately what I'm referring to! Talk about bad art....omg. Makes what they've got on the Explorer, look good...(giggle! sorry, I couldn't help myself!!).

First, and foremost:

Yes, Army actually beat Navy this year. I attended that game way-back in 1967 as a young Second Lieutenant. Yo, Army lost.

But, to the present. Absolutely great information conveyed to us who will do a similar May-June 2017 Amazon itinerary on Navigator. I posted once-earlier; this will be my last on this thread until Sue and I board Navigator at Miami.

Specifically appreciated comments re: adherence, or lack thereof, to a dress code. Our extended cruise will mean "optional" formal nights. Like, would it make sense for me to pack my tux (without tails) for two or three nights, when others may show up in cut-offs and jeans? Yes, a little exaggeration; but, really not so much given the reality of downsizing concepts of proper dress at a venue at which food at the highest level is served.

Cunard does, really, "enforce" a dress code. That was noted by another blogger. Way back in 2011, Sue and I also observed a couple approach the "gate keeper" at a dinner venue. That couple was attired in what would charitably be considered "resort casual". No--no. This was a formal night. They were turned-away.

Great!

Last: we also observed a couple complain while on a "Rain Forest" excursion somewhere in the Carib while on a 2010 Princess cruise that it was, really raining. They demanded to be put off that open vehicle. Everyone should have known the guidance was to expect rain. So--my hope was they were left, for perhaps 20 minutes or so, standing on the side of the path for the next vehicle to show up in a driving storm.

Just a little common sense and sense of perspective will go a long way. We are so-blessed to be confronted by these "First World Problems."

Regards, and hope to see fellow CC members either on our upcoming Miami-Venice Explorer March-April 2017 cruise; or the May-June Navigator Miami-Amazon-Miami experience.

GOARMY!

We have really enjoyed your blog and thanks so much for posting! We'll be doing the same cruise next November. Now a quickie question, since you mentioned "art". Is the "chicken wire man" still hanging in the elevator shaft? If he's still there, you'd know immediately what I'm referring to! Talk about bad art....omg. Makes what they've got on the Explorer, look good...(giggle! sorry, I couldn't help myself!!).

Creepy chicken wire man is still there, and it's funny that you mentioned that, as Mike commented early on in the cruise how very weird that headless looking thing was, while we headed up the elevator to the Observation Lounge one day. I honestly do not know what Regent is thinking.

First, and foremost:

Yes, Army actually beat Navy this year. I attended that game way-back in 1967 as a young Second Lieutenant. Yo, Army lost.

But, to the present. Absolutely great information conveyed to us who will do a similar May-June 2017 Amazon itinerary on Navigator. I posted once-earlier; this will be my last on this thread until Sue and I board Navigator at Miami.

Specifically appreciated comments re: adherence, or lack thereof, to a dress code. Our extended cruise will mean "optional" formal nights. Like, would it make sense for me to pack my tux (without tails) for two or three nights, when others may show up in cut-offs and jeans? Yes, a little exaggeration; but, really not so much given the reality of downsizing concepts of proper dress at a venue at which food at the highest level is served.

Cunard does, really, "enforce" a dress code. That was noted by another blogger. Way back in 2011, Sue and I also observed a couple approach the "gate keeper" at a dinner venue. That couple was attired in what would charitably be considered "resort casual". No--no. This was a formal night. They were turned-away.

Great!

Last: we also observed a couple complain while on a "Rain Forest" excursion somewhere in the Carib while on a 2010 Princess cruise that it was, really raining. They demanded to be put off that open vehicle. Everyone should have known the guidance was to expect rain. So--my hope was they were left, for perhaps 20 minutes or so, standing on the side of the path for the next vehicle to show up in a driving storm.

Just a little common sense and sense of perspective will go a long way. We are so-blessed to be confronted by these "First World Problems."

Regards, and hope to see fellow CC members either on our upcoming Miami-Venice Explorer March-April 2017 cruise; or the May-June Navigator Miami-Amazon-Miami experience.

GOARMY!

No one, and I mean no one, has ever showed up in cut offs or jeans on our cruise. That being said, we did see one Asian woman in jeans and a hoodie early on in the cruise, and we think perhaps she just did not understand the dress code. We never saw it again after a few days into it.

As for "optional formal" nights, it is completely up to you. We were with friends who dressed to the nines...while we were dressed very nicely, but not formal by any definition. Honestly, we saw people who thought they were dressed formally, and I wouldn't have put those outfits on my dog. Sorry...not trying to be mean. Just calling it like I saw it. As you can tell, it is time I get off the ship. My snarkiness factor has reached an all-time high, and I fear the only thing that will reign it in is a reality check once I get back home.

Edited by TahoeTraveler

Sorry, guys, I have been really derelict in my posting duties. Please forgive me...I have been busier than I expected on this cruise.

Yesterday was our next to last day on board the ship, and the crew did not disappoint. We had the ice carving demonstration at 1:00, which never fails to impress (although Mike sat in the shade, as he is apparently Nosferatu and cannot bear the sun). Top that off with lots of other activities, capped off with the Captain's Farewell and Krew Kapers show, and you've got an amazingly great day at sea.

The Captain's Farewell and the Krew Kapers, were bittersweet. While we absolulely loved the entire production, we also knew what it meant. Of course, I teared up. I always do. But somehow it is so much more difficult when it is such a long cruise. These people have become like family to me, and it will be very difficult for me to say goodbye to them tomorrow.

After a lovely dinner with another trivia team couple (during which time we learned that our 18 year old daughter had been in a car accident, which put just a bit of a damper on the evening for us...but she's okay, which is all that counts), we headed out to the magician's show (yes, I know I said he put me to sleep the last time, but maybe I just felt like I needed a reallly good rest). He was actually quite good in this show, and Mike and I actually enjoyed it a lot. Afterwards, we headed to the Regent Signature Orchestra (who is absolutely fabulous, in case I haven't made that clear already!) in the Horizons Lounge, and Boogie and Kasha (The Spontaneous Duo) in the Stars Lounge. Not simultaneously...we're good, but not that good.

So that brings us to our last full day on board the Mariner. There were so many actiivties on board today it would make your head spin. From the little games to earn points to Marla's Guesstures game to bingo to trivia...it was a jam packed day. I finally said "enough" though, and spent the afternoon on the balcony we spent so much money on (Mike will never let me live that one down) reading my book and just enjoying being alone and unencumbered. What a fantastic day.

The entertainment for this last evening was the previous talented but boring singer at 6pm, and a movie in the theater later. For me, it was the time to go see all those who had become a part of my life in the last three weeks, and tell them how much I appreciated them. It was simply awful. Not because anyone did anything wrong...but how stupid is it to stand there and cry in front of your favorite bartender because she is just the sweetest person you have ever met and you fear you'll never see her again???? How can a cruise be so amazing and so heartbreaking at the same time? That's honestly the hardest part of all this for me...I don't mind that the cruise is over. I'm ready to get off this ship and move on. But I hate the thought that I will never see again so many people that I have become so close to. Damn.

Gotta hit the sack...a very early morning awaits me as we have to disembark by 9am. Got lots and lots and lots of thoughts about the whole process, but it will have to wait for my "final wrap up." Damn. It's over..

Tami your posts have been so detailed and honest and I will miss it all for sure. Your last post above moved me to tears too. I always get emotional too at the Krew Kapers show, they put so much into looking after us onboard and then to entertain us to such a high standard, it's wonderful.

Your trip has been full of delight and also accidents and now the worry that your daughter has had an accident too. Glad to hear she is fine.

So thank you very much for taking us along with you and Mike. I realise I wouldn't manage at all in the climate, so you have managed to include me in the beauty of the surroundings.

Safe travels home to you both and have a very happy and relaxed festive season when you reach home. Thanks, Jean.

Sorry to hear that your cruise is coming to an end. We will be in the suite next to yours starting in Feb. 2017 for 54 days. Thanks for your impressions and all the answers to the various questions.

We haven't been on the Mariner since the last refurb, but are looking forward to getting back on board.

Again thank you for your time in writing all those excellent reports from the ship.

Edited by CRUISEBILL