I know why I get the flu on Princess.

Loreni

I think this is a revenue generator -- after one self-medicates,

they can visit the medical center, and have their blood pressure

tested (for a fee).

There are no medical advice or procedures that are free on Princess as far as I know of.

It has happened to us zero times on dozens of cruises.

Congratulations but that does nothing for the people who do get respiratory infections.

It is a real problem. People shouldn't act like it doesn't happen or that they aren't being careful enough.

Congratulations but that does nothing for the people who do get respiratory infections. It is a real problem. People shouldn't act like it doesn't happen or that they aren't being careful enough.

I agree it is a real problem, listen at one of the venues and you will hear the coughing. I don't agree however, that all passengers are being "careful enough". On more than one occasion and on more than one cruise there have been passengers that use the public restroom and don't wash their hands and moments later enter the buffet line without using the hand sanitizer either. That goes beyond not being careful, it's just plain gross. And no I did not say something to the passenger(s), it's really not my place to do so. Nor do I think it would have made a difference.

It doesn't take many folks doing this to cause a Noro outbreak or spread the "Kennel Cough" that makes it's way around the ship.

Will not help on a Princess ship.

Only two buttons are higher and lower temp.

No digital display.

We don't cruise princess anymore because of the a/c issue. Carnival is no better to us anyway. Never had a problem in Hal or RCCL. A room that's too hot to sleep in is a good way to ruin a vacation and not have guests return!

I agree it is a real problem, listen at one of the venues and you will hear the coughing. I don't agree however, that all passengers are being "careful enough". On more than one occasion and on more than one cruise there have been passengers that use the public restroom and don't wash their hands and moments later enter the buffet line without using the hand sanitizer either. That goes beyond not being careful, it's just plain gross. And no I did not say something to the passenger(s), it's really not my place to do so. Nor do I think it would have made a difference.

It doesn't take many folks doing this to cause a Noro outbreak or spread the "Kennel Cough" that makes it's way around the ship.

I agree. Straight out the door from a toilet stall to the buffet or anywhere else is disgusting.

In most cases, what an individual calls or thinks he/she has the flu or influenza as a simple head cold or upper respiratory tract infection. Influenza is characterized by fairly high fever, severe malaise, and severe body ache, often with associated gastrointestinal symptoms. Influenza is sudden in onset (unlike a cold) and will last for approximately one week, and then clear. Unless an individual has Asthma, COPD, or a compromised immune system, there should not be any complications.

If an individual feels that they have Influenza, Tamiflu, taken orally will usually shorten the severity and length of the infection. If one is in an area where there is a good chance that one will catch Influenza, Tamiflu may be taken short term to prevent such infection. Unless contraindicated, one should take a yearly Influenza Vaccination which is highly effective in preventing the Flu.

The reason that an individual catches an infection on a ship is that for a period of several days you are in a closed environment with thousands of other individuals with different parts of the world.

Lack of sleep, to much or to little salt, cabin to warm. These may all contribute to the discomfort of an individual, but will not directly cause the Flu.

Hope this helps.

We don't cruise princess anymore because of the a/c issue. Carnival is no better to us anyway. Never had a problem in Hal or RCCL. A room that's too hot to sleep in is a good way to ruin a vacation and not have guests return!

Just finished a cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. The room was fairly cool, but the rest of the ship was quite warm and humid. I guess it is hit and miss in regards to the A.C. on ships.

Congratulations but that does nothing for the people who do get respiratory infections.

It is a real problem. People shouldn't act like it doesn't happen or that they aren't being careful enough.

It may be a real problem, but it's not a specific Princess or even cruise ship problem. Any time you get 100s or 1,000s of people sharing limited space, you are going to have URIs passed around. No matter how carefully you wash your hands/scrub down your cabin/disinfect your airplane tray table. Coughs and sneezes carry a long way...

What I object to is the OP's over the top assertions. They got flu (not a cold) how many times from being onboard Princess ships? Hard to believe. The real influenza makes it difficult to leave your bed or to function at all. If I had flu that many times, I'd be highly unusual -- and I'd definitely be concerned about my immune system function.

All these "N of 1" assertions mean nothing. For every person that says they got sick, there's another one (like me) who takes no special precautions when traveling and rarely gets sick -- certainly nothing more than a bothersome cold. And I've been cruising (and traveling) since 1973!

It's a true wonder how I've lived this long when I live dangerously by actually touching elevator buttons and ship rails! Not using hand sanitizer! Touching my menu in the DR without washing hands after! :eek:

Oh, but I do get a flu shot though. Maybe that's making the difference.

It may be a real problem, but it's not a specific Princess or even cruise ship problem. Any time you get 100s or 1,000s of people sharing limited space, you are going to have URIs passed around. No matter how carefully you wash your hands/scrub down your cabin/disinfect your airplane tray table. Coughs and sneezes carry a long way...

What I object to is the OP's over the top assertions. They got flu (not a cold) how many times from being onboard Princess ships? Hard to believe. The real influenza makes it difficult to leave your bed or to function at all. If I had flu that many times, I'd be highly unusual -- and I'd definitely be concerned about my immune system function.

All these "N of 1" assertions mean nothing. For every person that says they got sick, there's another one (like me) who takes no special precautions when traveling and rarely gets sick -- certainly nothing more than a bothersome cold. And I've been cruising (and traveling) since 1973!

It's a true wonder how I've lived this long when I live dangerously by actually touching elevator buttons and ship rails! Not using hand sanitizer! Touching my menu in the DR without washing hands after! :eek:

Oh, but I do get a flu shot though. Maybe that's making the difference.

The flu shot won't protect you from an upper respiratory infection but again, congratulations on never getting sick one time on a cruise. Others do though and they are just as careful as you likely are.

Perhaps you are just lucky and good for you. I wish I had that good luck everytime also.

Edited by Sacto Rick

Re the flu vaccine:

On our last cruise, the ship's doctor told my husband that the flu vaccine had maximum protection only after 6 weeks. Several tests were taken and he was prescribed antibiotoics first and later Tamiflu. As the vaccine was released only in April 2016 in Australia, we only had a month's protection up before the cruise. Try to have your vaccine 6 weeks before you cruise.

BTW, the staff and doctors do a great job and are very thorough.

I think you are done cruising... you are now going to go on with a pre-conceived notion of what will occur and you'll be quick to jump on possibilities as the culprit. I noticed you didn't say you consulted your doctor? Maybe a good idea to speak to a doctor. I agree with needing a cooler room. But I have never had it so hot that I lack that much sleep.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Re the flu vaccine:

On our last cruise, the ship's doctor told my husband that the flu vaccine had maximum protection only after 6 weeks. Several tests were taken and he was prescribed antibiotics first and later Tamiflu. As the vaccine was released only in April 2016 in Australia, we only had a month's protection up before the cruise. Try to have your vaccine 6 weeks before you cruise.

BTW, the staff and doctors do a great job and are very thorough.

The Influenza Vaccination will have maximal protection after 6 weeks, although that can vary in different individuals. However, one may begin to experience some degree of protection after several days. If one get a vaccination every year, due to the recall effect, protection will be much or rapid and absolute. However, like any vaccination, and due to antigenic shift of the Flu Virus, even vaccinated individuals may still develop Influenza, although usually, the effects are such are moderated or not as severe due to vaccination.

Caribill- you are right about ships not having digital thermostats- I realized that after I posted. It would be impossible to do an "override" yourself but when I have needed an adjustment the maintenance guys bring tools and open something up so I'm sure it could be done.

Maybe I will try a big tip :)

We will be on Princess for the first time in a few weeks and I hate the thought of waking up in a sweat!! Especially in the hot and steamy Panama Canal and S Caribbean. Maybe if enough people complain they will do something about it.

We always request a blanket - can't understand the appeal of down or synthetic filled comforters nowadays in every hotel room in every season including summer! If I could get the thermostat down to 64 or lower I'd be happy to sleep under down!

Caribill- you are right about ships not having digital thermostats- I realized that after I posted. It would be impossible to do an "override" yourself but when I have needed an adjustment the maintenance guys bring tools and open something up so I'm sure it could be done.

Maybe I will try a big tip :)

They have an Ipad type instrument they bring in and plug into the thermostat to make any necessary adjustments to the system.

We just returned from first Princess cruise on Crown Princess. Dirtiest ship ever! Bathrooms out of order, no soap or hand sanitizer, vomit on the floor.

And I agree, the A/C shuts off. We had them in twice (on 5 day trip) and still had no air flow!

You probably get sick because of the cleanliness of the ship. We paid for the sanctuary and the specialty restaurants. Never went to buffet or MDR,

Tried to go to show in Explorers lounge, but it was full, and the smell of stale onion breath and body odor sent us away

Sorry, wanted to like princess, but JUST SAY NO

(this was our 37 cruise on various lines including one Carnival, several Celebrity, Regent, Windstar, Seadream, Viking, Oceania and Seabourn)

We just returned from first Princess cruise on Crown Princess. Dirtiest ship ever! Bathrooms out of order, no soap or hand sanitizer, vomit on the floor.

And I agree, the A/C shuts off. We had them in twice (on 5 day trip) and still had no air flow!

You probably get sick because of the cleanliness of the ship. We paid for the sanctuary and the specialty restaurants. Never went to buffet or MDR,

Tried to go to show in Explorers lounge, but it was full, and the smell of stale onion breath and body odor sent us away

(this was our 37 cruise on various lines including one Carnival, several Celebrity, Regent, Windstar, Seadream, Viking, Oceania and Seabourn)

Guess you'll never have to do Princess again. Those unwashed peasants are hard to ignore, aren't they? :rolleyes:

This is like the diamond encrusted cane I carry. Full of BS like the rest of the story. The AC does not shut off. You have a thermostat and it will go down to 60. Who cares if you wear a watch. Who cares if you time your sleep. Ask any ships engineer. GOSH. This is a stupid thread. Some people love to bitch. Got proof of vomit on the floor? Or, did someone puke in front of you? Pit's off Folks! :D

Edited by WupperAV

Wow!! We just spent 43 days (Oct. 5 - Nov. 17) on the Crown and didn't see any of the things you describe.

We went to the MDR many times for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Buffet for coffee in the AM, breakfast & lunch. Used several public restrooms, etc. About the only thing we didn't do was go to the Explorer's Lounge (walked by it a lot). Our cruises (B2B) were in "hot" zones (Hawaii & South Pacific) and if our cabin got too warm we turned the thermostat down...no problem.

I did a review with a lot of the things that I didn't like about our sailing, but your issues weren't issues for us. YMMV :D

What do you do when you get to the show lounge early to get a decent seat & someone sits behind or along side of you with the sniffles or a hacking cough?

Tough decision. :(

In my opinion the Celebrity lounge is a hotbed for passing germs.

If you just stop a moment to listen, the coughing that goes on is just crazy