I know why I get the flu on Princess.

Loreni

If the OP is so prone to getting influenza then why doesn't she (and her husband) have a flu shot? It is freely available in the UK, and very cheap (under $10) but maybe it is not so easily obtained in the USA, though that would be very surprising bearing in mind the way antibiotics seem to be prescribed willy nilly over there, just in case!

Its available everywhere in the US. Even in grocery stores, Walmart, etc etc

There are several:

The traditional flu shot is an injection into your arm muscle. It’s made from pieces of inactive flu viruses.

An egg-free flu shot, unlike other types, isn’t grown inside eggs. It’s an option for people over age 18 who have severe egg allergies.

The high-dose flu shot is for people ages 65 and older. They may need a stronger dose to get the same protection.

An intradermal flu shot uses a tiny needle that only goes skin deep. It’s for people ages 18 to 64.

The nasal spray flu vaccine (FluMist) doesn’t use a needle. It’s made from live but weakened flu viruses. Another name for it is LAIV (live attenuated influenza vaccine). It’s for healthy people ages 2 to 49 who aren’t pregnant, who are not allergic to the flu vaccine or any of its ingredients, and who don’t have weak immune systems. It should not be used for the 2016-2017 flu season. Check with your doctor to make sure it’s right for you.

Some vaccines protect against more than one flu virus strain. Trivalent vaccines work against three strains; quadrivalent vaccines fight four types of flu. The traditional flu shot comes in both forms. High-dose only comes in the trivalent form.

Do you wipe down your entire stateroom before entering it for the first time, starting with the door handle? I also wipe the whole cabin down again after about 3 days since cabin stewards transfer germs from one cabin to the next (besides anything we pick up). You might try these as they are guaranteed to kill norovius and other viruses:

https://www.amazon.com/Saalfeld-30825-Disinfectant-Norovirus-Rotavirus/dp/B00BFFGJ6S/ref=pd_sbs_121_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00BFFGJ6S&pd_rd_r=11R3GX0WE6QZY1E8JPC0&pd_rd_w=whowi&pd_rd_wg=mObCF&psc=1&refRID=11R3GX0WE6QZY1E8JPC0

We've experienced overheated motel/hotel rooms everywhere at every star level in the last 10 years. The culprit is the owner's interest in "energy savings" at the expense of guest comfort. It's very rare now to find a property where you have total control over your thermostat. I can only think of a few- one was an old fashioned 5 star old hotel that hadn't updated their heating and a/c.

Here's the problem: all the new thermostats have "presets" and a set range- at night, the range is deliberately stingy so you wake up in a sweat. These presets are often accompanied by motion and door/window sensors.

If you hear the fan come on when you walk into a room or get up at night and move around, you know you're under the control of a "preset."

The good news is that you can "override" these presets. Just google "override your hotel room thermostat and set it as hot or cold as you like."

The solution is easy and involves holding down certain buttons, some simultaneously. If you see a message that says VIP or BP on your digital thermostat screen you know your fix has worked.

Or call for help although the maintenance staff doesn't like to admit the thermostats have presets. I'm sure cruise ships are now using the same technology as land based hotels.

Fortunately, we haven't had a problem with cabins overheating at night on our last two cruises but we weren't on Princess. On our last cruise, Crystal to Alaska this past July, the cabin was too warm and stuffy during the day but it was corrected quickly after calling for an adjustment.

I'm in complete agreement with the OP- overheated rooms at night cause a terrible and restless sleep. Another issue can be waterproof mattress pads - - dissect your bedding and see what's under the bottom sheet if you're waking up in a sweat and it's not the ambient room temp. A Celebrity ship last year had waterproof or water resistant mattress pads on their new mattresses.

I suggest that the OP give up cruising immediately, even if her theories make no sense.

No answer/solution from Princess will make her happy.

Actually, since she has so many issues, she really should stop cruising immediately. She can't sleep well on a cruise ship.... well, then, a land vacation, with your hotel of choice, would be the way to go.

We just booked a winter escape to a cottage with its own private pool...looking forward to cocooning and enjoying the weather and not having to worry about missing the ship if we relax on the beach too long.

This sounds like it would be the perfect vacation for you.

Wishing you a healthy and happy trip :)

I certainly agree that it seems impossible to get the ac at night to stay consistently cool enough to provide a good night's sleep.

I will take the advice given here next time to ask for a top sheet.

But do you call in the middle of the night when you feel ac is not working properly? That has been our dilemma on past cruises - do we let someone in when we are in our night clothes? Or wait until the daytime, when we don't find it to be a problem?

As to URTI's, I make sure to wash, wash, wash hands often, use the gel before entering the buffet and again when I exit, knuckles for the elevator buttons, balance forearm when descending stairs for balance rather than using hands.

I wish it was company policy that the officers at the cocktail parties would not shake hands. After all the hands they have shaken by the time they get to me I won't partake of the appies that are served, but see many that do, spreading germs galore.

We have been lucky so far, only once my DH felt unwell for a few days and stayed confined to our stateroom.

On that cruise one of the servers at the IC was noticeably sick and it was after eating something from there that DH fell ill. I spoke to the server the next day, not mentioning DH, and he told me a number of staff had been visiting the doctor and getting medication. That made me uneasy seeing that they are still working when so obviously unwell.

So, OP, I agree that there are many chances to pick up illness when among crowds of people in a confined space. Wherever your travels take you, I hope that you are able to take some of the valuable advice given here to do what you can to protect yourselves.

As for the snarky comments, try not to let them bother you. I appreciate that your original post and in subsequent answers you remained polite and respectful.

It seems highly unlikely to me that a ship's doctor would tell passengers to adjust their blood pressure medicine. The liability to Princess without the doctor examining passengers before dispensing advice would be huge.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I don't think we know even now what ship and itinerary this was. It would be interesting to hear from any other passengers about this medical advice the ship's doctor doles out over the shipboard TV.

I don't know about that.

Can cause sleep ship driving.

Or perhaps a strange cooking experience. A radio talk show guy a few years ago related his experience. He apparently got up after taking Ambien and somehow decided it would be a good idea to get a couple of pork chops out of the freezer and stick them in the toaster. Just a pork version of Eggos. :) Don't let anyone on Ambien into the galley or the bridge on the ship.

Or perhaps a strange cooking experience. A radio talk show guy a few years ago related his experience. He apparently got up after taking Ambien and somehow decided it would be a good idea to get a couple of pork chops out of the freezer and stick them in the toaster. Just a pork version of Eggos. :) Don't let anyone on Ambien into the galley or the bridge on the ship.

After taking ambien a few years ago my son got up at 3am or so and drove to the train station because he thought he was headed to work.

He has sleepwalked at times while growing up.

Ambien for him is really dangerous. :(

After taking ambien a few years ago my son got up at 3am or so and drove to the train station because he thought he was headed to work.

He has sleepwalked at times while growing up.

Ambien for him is really dangerous. :(

Not a joke, I know. I wasn't going to post this, but, it is interesting, and, a little frightening. We had a lady a while back bang on our hotel door in the middle of the night. We opened the door and she wanted to know where her husband was. Fortunately, he had woken up when she left their room and followed her. He asked us to please excuse her as she was having an Ambien reaction. Completely a scary example of what can go wrong with some pharmaceuticals. :eek:

Edited by ar1950

I completely agree, Princess does turn the a/c up at night. We would wake up and be hot so we brought our own clock with thermometer. Every night the air either turns off or goes up. We have asked repeatedly to have them fix this problem but they insist it's not happening. We don't have this problem on other cruise lines. It makes me think twice about booking them.

I completely agree, Princess does turn the a/c up at night. We would wake up and be hot so we brought our own clock with thermometer. Every night the air either turns off or goes up. We have asked repeatedly to have them fix this problem but they insist it's not happening. We don't have this problem on other cruise lines. It makes me think twice about booking them.

Seriously question your cabin choices. We have had nothing but a cold cabin the last few cruises (yes, always Princess ships). More often than not every time the cabin attendant was in the cabin we came back to a very cold cabin. They seemed to like to work in a cool environment and we didn't blame them for that. We always were turning the temperature up on the thermostat. I would be very interested in the type and location of the cabins that all of these folks who had a hot cabin had.

Just askin'. YMMV and probably will. :rolleyes:

Edited by ar1950

Just curious why is that? Are you able to avoid the flu so you just don't feel the need for it?

I get the flu vaccine every year and my insurance covers the cost. If I get the flu, which I seemed to every year before being vaccinated, I was out of work for 7 to 10 days which cost me thousands being self-employed.

I think I actually had the flu last season even though I had the flu shot. Only lasted a couple days and wasn't bad, more like a cold but with the shivers.

I'm well into my 60's and never have had the flu. I guess I'm blessed with a good immune system. Maybe it's my attitude about of "if it isn't broke don't fix it."

It seems highly unlikely to me that a ship's doctor would tell passengers to adjust their blood pressure medicine. The liability to Princess without the doctor examining passengers before dispensing advice would be huge.

How does one adjust their blood pressure meds on a ship? I carry a Monday-Friday 15-day or 30-day pillbox depending on cruise. The ships doctor does not know your history like your own physician. I call BS! Double up or double down, experiment with your health? BS!

The good news is that you can "override" these presets. Just google "override your hotel room thermostat and set it as hot or cold as you like."

The solution is easy and involves holding down certain buttons, some simultaneously. If you see a message that says VIP or BP on your digital thermostat screen you know your fix has worked.

Will not help on a Princess ship.

Only two buttons are higher and lower temp.

No digital display.

So for now, cruising to a tropical location is not an option. We just booked a winter escape to a cottage with its own private pool...looking forward to cocooning and enjoying the weather and not having to worry about missing the ship if we relax on the beach too long.

On hearing your problems with frequent urination, bad immune system, crowds, miserable balcony furniture, bad air-con, sputum, weird doctors, horrible mattresses.I do believe its time to say good-bye, thank-you for your wonderful support of Princess Cruises and we wish you all the best for the future.

I think-you have made the right decision.

GOOD-BYE

How does one adjust their blood pressure meds on a ship? I carry a Monday-Friday 15-day or 30-day pillbox depending on cruise. The ships doctor does not know your history like your own physician. I call BS! Double up or double down, experiment with your health? BS!

I think this is a revenue generator -- after one self-medicates,

they can visit the medical center, and have their blood pressure

tested (for a fee).