I know why I get the flu on Princess.

Loreni

Wow!! We just spent 43 days (Oct. 5 - Nov. 17) on the Crown and didn't see any of the things you describe.

We went to the MDR many times for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Buffet for coffee in the AM, breakfast & lunch. Used several public restrooms, etc. About the only thing we didn't do was go to the Explorer's Lounge (walked by it a lot). Our cruises (B2B) were in "hot" zones (Hawaii & South Pacific) and if our cabin got too warm we turned the thermostat down...no problem.

I did a review with a lot of the things that I didn't like about our sailing, but your issues weren't issues for us. YMMV :D

Thanks for the confidence. Will be on Crown in March 2017 and was already contemplating of changing to another sailing after reading the earlier post.

So far I've never experienced any problems with air conditioning on a cruise.

Yes, I've sometimes woken up hot and a bit sweaty - but that happens at home as well so I'm certain it isn't an air-con problem. Our bodies don't stay at the same temperature 24 hours a day. Body temperature rises and falls as the day progresses. It usually drops in the evenings and starts rising a couple of hours before waking. So it is possible that bedding that is comfortable during most of the night may be too warm during the last couple of hours of sleep. Everyone is different in this respect too. Cruise ships, like hotels, supply bedding to suit the majority of guests, which doesn't mean 100% of guests.

Yes, I've had respiratory illness on three cruises, all over 15 nights long.

Once it was the typical cruise ship "kennel cough", which turned into bronchitis after arriving home. I'm prone to getting bronchitis BTW.

The next was bronchitis which I think was triggered by severe air pollution at our Bali stop.

The third was definitely flu (high temperature, aches etc) and that also triggered a bronchial attack. I'd had a flu shot earlier in March (which is when the new version is released in Asutralia), but flu shots don't cover all variants and that cruise was in September which is peak flu season in Australia.

These illnesses haven't stopped me cruising, I just ensure I have antibiotics and effective cough tablets in my medical kit.

Oh, and the new Princess beds are superb. Best I've ever slept in. :)

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Congratulations but that does nothing for the people who do get respiratory infections.

It is a real problem. People shouldn't act like it doesn't happen or that they aren't being careful enough.

I did not say I never had a respiratory infection on a cruise ship.

I was referring to the flu which is the subject of this thread. I have never contracted the flu on a cruise ship.

Thanks for the confidence. Will be on Crown in March 2017 and was already contemplating of changing to another sailing after reading the earlier post.

If things were as bad as that malcontent says on the Crown or any of their ships, Princess would be out of business. Sometimes a little common sense is useful.

Yes, I've had respiratory illness on three cruises, all over 15 nights long.

Once it was the typical cruise ship "kennel cough", which turned into bronchitis after arriving home. I'm prone to getting bronchitis BTW.

The next was bronchitis which I think was triggered by severe air pollution at our Bali stop.

The third was definitely flu (high temperature, aches etc) and that also triggered a bronchial attack. I'd had a flu shot earlier in March (which is when the new version is released in Asutralia), but flu shots don't cover all variants and that cruise was in September which is peak flu season in Australia.

These illnesses haven't stopped me cruising, I just ensure I have antibiotics and effective cough tablets in my medical kit.

Oh, and the new Princess beds are superb. Best I've ever slept in. :)

My DW is subject to bronchitis, and we have found it most likely to have been contracted on the airplane. Our proof of that is when Princess started sailing out of a port we could drive to, the post cruise respiratory issues WENT AWAY.

However one respiratory illness on board ship was when we had an OV cabin - the ship's Doctor recommended we not use inside or OV cabins, as much of the air is recirculated, mixed with some outside air. His recommendation was to only book balcony cabins, opening the door long enough once or twice each day for a while to totally replace the air in the cabin.

The doctor's recommendation seems to work.

And regarding posts about poor overall sanitation - we've never experienced anything like that and it is public record that the CDC's surprise inspections typically result in either 100% pass or with very minor issues.

Interesting. I thought that this sounded familiar. In September, OP started a thread titled something to the effect of: Influenza on Princess getting worse?

However, in that thread it was 4 out of the last 5 cruises instead of 7 out of the last 8. So, in the last two or so months, 3 more cruises were taken? And each flu lasted for a month?

Sometimes, I should listen to myself and skip a thread.....

Good luck in the cottage.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by pjrockman

My DW is subject to bronchitis, and we have found it most likely to have been contracted on the airplane. Our proof of that is when Princess started sailing out of a port we could drive to, the post cruise respiratory issues WENT AWAY.

However one respiratory illness on board ship was when we had an OV cabin - the ship's Doctor recommended we not use inside or OV cabins, as much of the air is recirculated, mixed with some outside air. His recommendation was to only book balcony cabins, opening the door long enough once or twice each day for a while to totally replace the air in the cabin.

The doctor's recommendation seems to work.

We flew to the embarkation port (Fremantle) for the first cruise and arrived there a few days before the cruise, the other two cruises embarked from the city we live in. In all three cases the illness didn't start until after several days on the ship. However we were in inside cabins all three times. Oh dear! If we have to book balcony cabins we won't be able to cruise as often. :(

I read through the first 3-4 pages and then just COULDN'T continue with any more nonsense. I live in NYC and take trains and buses every day-- and guess what??? I get sick (usually a cold or sinus infection but sometimes more) EVERY year. I love how the OP blames princess. Last night I was at the gym and I saw the guy on the bike next to me lick his hand and then touch the handles. Yesterday in my class, one of my students was licking his hand. THIS is why princess prevents people from shaking hands-- it's not an admission of guilt that they are causing sickness! It's the reality of the fact that people are GROSS!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agreed. Stay out of the elevators if possible and don't touch the railing as you walk the stairs. The less you touch the better off you will be.

When you return to your cabin head straight to the bathroom to wash your hands. Treat your cabin as your safe place away from germs and everywhere else on board like a hot zone. We even bring the wipes and do the cabin / tv remote / door handles etc when we first board and then periodically throughout the cruise.

Knock on wood - No illness on any of the cruises that I can recall. Certainly never had the flu while on board.

Good advice along with getting a flu shot every year. I get a flu shot before I cruise in September and October, and have not had a problem. Crowded elevators is definitely the culprit, though. People crowd in shoulder to shoulder, and we breathe in everyone else's breaths, some of whom have colds.

Edited by Mackenzie1

I read through the first 3-4 pages and then just COULDN'T continue with any more nonsense. I live in NYC and take trains and buses every day-- and guess what??? I get sick (usually a cold or sinus infection but sometimes more) EVERY year. I love how the OP blames princess. Last night I was at the gym and I saw the guy on the bike next to me lick his hand and then touch the handles. Yesterday in my class, one of my students was licking his hand. THIS is why princess prevents people from shaking hands-- it's not an admission of guilt that they are causing sickness! It's the reality of the fact that people are GROSS!!

I agree. Most of these issues are self-inflicted by not using proper hygiene. Because we travel often on cruise ships, we are in constant habit of washing our hands and washing them again. We have yet to contact any of these issues, "knock on wood", and it is because we try not to touch a lot of surfaces and when we do, we wash our hands at our first opportunity.

We not completely compulsive about this, but we are careful and the results are there.

Unwashed? He said they had Onion odor. That's probably from eating onion infested Southern food. OP could tell because he only had garlic breath. People, You need to bathe before you go to the theater. You are so stinky. My dog gags every time I come home.

I get a cold which turns into a sinus infection on just about 1 out of every 2 cruises. Why? Because I am careless.

My husband, who is exposed to the exact same environment I have NEVER gets sick. He is careful about what he touches and keeps his hands away from his face. He has common sense, I don't.

...Because we travel often on cruise ships, we are in constant habit of washing our hands and washing them again.

Of course this works at home too... Come back from an outing and it's straight to the bathroom to thoroughly wash.

As someone pointed out not touching your eyes/nose/mouth is just as important especially when you are in the hot-zone. Can't believe someone was licking their hand while on a gym machine. :eek: I wipe the machine handles both before and after and still don't like touching them. When the workout is done, you guessed it, straight to the bathroom to wash.

What's with the hand licking? Why would someone be licking their hands?

Thought he was a dog!:D Why not wear rubber gloves all the time. There are a bunch of germaphobics in this world. I was raised on a dairy farm. We played in the barnyard in our bare feet., drank pure milk out of the cow, and processed our own meat and sausage. My Grandmother would butcher 25 chickens and take them to the restaurant and they were cleaner than anything you can buy in a store. We raise our own chickens, beef and lamb and I am more afraid of geramaphobes than germs.:D

BTW/I'm a member of a Vol Fire Dept and they recommend you wash your hands with soap and water for 15 seconds. Used to be 20.

Edited by WupperAV

My wife and I both got very sick on our last cruise. We came down with terrible colds. Probably a third of the passengers had it by the end of the short (7 day) southbound from Alaska. We just figured someone boarded with the cold and it spread like wildfire. After reading this thread of course I now know better. It was obviously the SALT! :rolleyes:

Try Celebrity. Much better food, great staterooms and a better experience overall while still being adult-centric.

Personally I think the food is slightly better on Princess. More choice in the MDR, especially for appetisers, and Princess doesn't repeat selections as much. We did a 12 night cruise on Solstice I was getting seriously bored with the appetisers by the end of the cruise, even with a night off from the MDR to go to Murano.

The cabins on Solstice are lovely, especially the bathrooms, but not as quiet as the Princess ships I've been on. The walls seem thinner, we often heard laughter, loud voices, or TV sounds from adjacent cabins. I've never heard that on Princess.