Canadians flying to Fort Lauderdale...

marmstro

It depends what airport you leave from. Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Vancouver etc all have US Customs in the airport, so you clear it before you go to the US. Then you just walk right off the plane. As a little tip, if you want to buy anything duty free at the airport you can. Then just take it with you on the plane.

There may be some who would tell you it'll be fine, but I think it's a bad idea to book a flight with a noonish arrival. Too much can go wrong ... plane arriving late, luggage delays or issues, drive time znd traffic FLL to Port of Miami. And, I think you must be at the pier terminal 60-90 minutes before sailaway. Not much wiggle room with the flight you're looking at.

So, here's the question: if my flight land at FLL at 12:05 pm and the ship leaves Miami at 4 pm, am I safe?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would not chance that! You have to be on board an hour or so before the departure time. Any delay with the flight, luggage or traffic like a previous poster mentioned puts your vacation in jeopardy.

We always fly in the day before the cruise for piece of mind. If that's not possible for you, at least change to an earlier flight.

Also, depending where you are in Canada, crossing the border and then flying on a US carrier might be an option for you.

Good luck and enjoy the cruise.

Don't do it------Pay the change fee to the airline and fly in the day before your cruise.

While you will clear customs in either TO or Ottawa, depending on the airport you depart Ontario from, there is just zero margin for error in your schedule.

We have flown to Fort Lauderdale many times and have encountered delays due to mechanical issues that necessitated a replacement plane being prepared, thunderstorms over Florida which meant taking a circuitous route around them and sometimes an unexplained delay in boarding the flight.

Last April, when we arrived in San Diego we were missing a bag. It didn't arrive at our hotel until supper time the following day. Fortunately we had followed our usual practice of flying to the port three days early.

After landing in FLL you sometimes wait quite a while for luggage to appear and then there is a line up for taxis outside the airport.

There could be a traffic accident that ties up the highway to Miami for a considerable time.

In order to comply with Homeland Security's rule that they must have all passenger information turned over one hour prior to sailing, the cruise lines require you to be onboard with all information filed 90 minutes prior. There have been reports here on CC of people being denied boarding when they arrived inside that window.

There are so many variables and you have allowed no wiggle room. I know you have looked forward to your cruise and I would hate to think of you standing on the pier watching your ship sail without you.

FWIW if you booked air with the cruise lines, most would have no problem having you arrive around noon on sail away day. But, as others have stated, anything can happen. Weather delays, mechanical problems and what not. Air Canada, for instance, is well known for changing flights after they have been booked.

Agree with all the previous posters. Ill add one more potential delay, connecting flights. If you must fly the day of the cruise, I would take the earliest flight available that is non stop to FLL. Arriving no later than 10am.

Thanks, all. I'm going to heed your advice and suck up the change fee. Just not worth the risk.

Thank you for letting us know about your very wise decision. I hope you have a wonderful cruise and bring home lots of good memories.

Even though you will clear customs in Canada, there is a lot of time that usually occurs between the plane landing, and you being able to get to the plane.

As others have said, make it an earlier flight, or even the night before, and stay overnight in the Florida area.

Thanks, all. I'm going to heed your advice and suck up the change fee. Just not worth the risk.

It may be more than a change fee for the outbound

some airlines will treat any changes on the outbound as a new booking especially if you have a non refundable ticket

plead with the agent to change to an earlier time I plead stupidity it has worked some of the time LOL

Assuming all goes according to plan and you land on time, you'll be fine...but, I'd aim for an earlier flight if possible. Now, if you booked thru the cruise line, I wouldn't worry too much...there are generally enough cruisers on their own flights to wait for you.

IF the airline changes the schedule by more than 90 mins prior to the flight, there is NO change penalty...you can cancel and rebook! At least, in the US, you can!

Edited by cb at sea

So, here's the question: if my flight land at FLL at 12:05 pm and the ship leaves Miami at 4 pm, am I safe?

My husband would say "It's fine" but he likes to cut it close. We are flying in the day of for this upcoming flight and I swore I would never do that again after our last trip to San Juan the day of resulted in a close call after a flight cancellation (luckily they got us on a different carrier and we made our cruise).

I agree with everyone else. Go a day ahead if you can. We often fly out of Syracuse or Montreal for better prices and stay in Homestead (just outside of Miami)- good hotel prices- We get a cheap car rental at the airport ($20) and use that extra day to drive to the Keys and sunbathe on the beach and get a little pre-tan.- we drop the car back at the airport, take a shuttle to the pier ($16) from the airport and get on the ship and are relaxed about not missing the ship. Sometimes by going a day or two early we save on the flight. By flying out of the US or Montreal we can also save on the flight.