TSA Pre check

Swells1

I am NOT a frequent flier at all, so please be patient with me.

I just printed boarding passes for the four of us. On three of the four, there is the TSA Pre check logo.

I've never applied or paid for this service. Should I disregard it, or is this something I could take advantage of?

Wait! What ARE the advantages?

Help!

[emoji15]

Love the pre check. Problem with getting the random ( rather than paid) pre check is this: three of you will go in the pre check line, the other in the regular line. This could be a problem if the fourth person is a child or someone who needs assistance. As J&R1987 says, it really won't matter if you depart a small airport.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

@swells1

Don't disregard it. Use it, especially if the regular security line is long. It might save you some time and hassle. Some airlines use a lottery system for pre-check.

sent from Fire 5th

This is absolutely normal. Every now and then TSA free is offered to Travellers who have not subscribed for the program. Another tip - if your 4th Traveller is a child then they can join you in the TSA pre lane. Enjoy the quick scan experience ( no need to remove belt, laptop, shoes or a light jacket) except Newark airport where you have to take laptop out even in TSA Pre lane. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last vacation with my husband, our 25 anniversary, I had random pre-check. He didn't. Line was over an hour and a half long wrapping around the terminal. I stayed with my husband. Didn't want to start off on a bad foot. [emoji16] but I thought about it. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the replies! And thanks for not calling me an idiot. It sounds nice, but the person who didn't get the bump is the one person who has never flown and is scared of the entire boarding process. I'll probably let the others take advantage of Pre check and I'll stay with her. Sigh. Maybe next time...

Wait! What ARE the advantages?

1. Keep shoes on*

2. Keep belt on*

3. Keep light jacket on

4. laptop can stay in bag

5. 3-1-1 bag can stay in bag

6. You go through a regular metal detector, not a body scanner

*If you shoes or belt have an excessive amount of metal they may alarm the metal detector so you might end up having to remove them anyway.

This generally makes the Pre line go faster. However, sometimes there are a lot of "random" folks in the line who aren't familiar with the expedited process and need additional guidance, so it doesn't always go as quickly as it's designed to do. Those in your group who got it should certainly take advantage of it, although you may end up waiting on the other side for the person who didn't.

My husband got to go with me

I'm guessing from your screen name that you are a grandmother and thus possibly of a certain age. ;) If that's the case, your husband most likely got an age waiver. Spouses do not otherwise get automatic Pre-check privileges.

1. Keep shoes on*

2. Keep belt on*

3. Keep light jacket on

4. laptop can stay in bag

5. 3-1-1 bag can stay in bag

6. You go through a regular metal detector, not a body scanner

*If you shoes or belt have an excessive amount of metal they may alarm the metal detector so you might end up having to remove them anyway.

This generally makes the Pre line go faster. However, sometimes there are a lot of "random" folks in the line who aren't familiar with the expedited process and need additional guidance, so it doesn't always go as quickly as it's designed to do. Those in your group who got it should certainly take advantage of it, although you may end up waiting on the other side for the person who didn't.

I'm guessing from your screen name that you are a grandmother and thus possibly of a certain age. ;) If that's the case, your husband most likely got an age waiver. Spouses do not otherwise get automatic Pre-check privileges.

Actually there is some variety as to what you can and can't do with Pre. I have Pre through Global Entry. Flying out of Kansas City, the only thing I didn't have to do was take off shoes. Liquids bag was out. Tablet came out. Belt came off, as they metal detector was sensitive. Have flown through many airports, Kansas City was the most restrictive by far. But have seen some variation at smaller airports as well.

but the person who didn't get the bump is the one person who has never flown and is scared of the entire boarding process.

TSA Pre has nothing to do with the boarding process, only clearing security.

Take a look at the TSA Pre website so you know what you need to do at security.

TSA Pre has nothing to do with the boarding process, only clearing security.

Take a look at the TSA Pre website so you know what you need to do at security.

I think the OP meant the person is apprehensive of the entire departure process, starting with TSA. Getting yelled at, having to remove shoes and outer clothing, getting out the Kippie bag, having to show ID and say your name, getting separated from the rest of your group, possibility of the random secondary security search, not keeping your items in your field of vision because some TSA person yells at you to put your stuff on the belt before you go through... then get to the gate and have a possible other TSA check where they pull you out of the boarding line and they go through your bag (yep, these still happen)... I can see why an infrequent flyer may be apprehensive...

I believe that the OP mentioned that they did not fly often so may not be familiar with all the "flying" terminology. Using "boarding process" most likely referred to the all the steps necessary in order to board an aircraft. Thinking of it that way, clearing security is certainly part of the boarding process. Yes, I am aware that the term is actually used at the gate when boarding an aircraft.

Edited by purduemom1

I think the OP meant the person is apprehensive of the entire departure process, starting with TSA. Getting yelled at, having to remove shoes and outer clothing, getting out the Kippie bag, having to show ID and say your name, getting separated from the rest of your group, possibility of the random secondary security search, not keeping your items in your field of vision because some TSA person yells at you to put your stuff on the belt before you go through... then get to the gate and have a possible other TSA check where they pull you out of the boarding line and they go through your bag (yep, these still happen)... I can see why an infrequent flyer may be apprehensive...

Geez, after reading your very accurate description of what flyers endure, it's a wonder any of use fly!

Thank you. That's exactly what I meant. I'm on the plane now, waiting for the last stragglers. I was going to wait in the regular line with my friend, but the mean TSA lady made me move to the Pre Check line. She did great. [emoji12]

Actually there is some variety as to what you can and can't do with Pre. I have Pre through Global Entry. Flying out of Kansas City, the only thing I didn't have to do was take off shoes. Liquids bag was out. Tablet came out. Belt came off, as they metal detector was sensitive. Have flown through many airports, Kansas City was the most restrictive by far. But have seen some variation at smaller airports as well.

Seems odd, flying out of Kansas City. Was it just the once, or has it happened to you repeatedly there? I know some smaller airports don't really have true Pre-check but instead do an "expedited" security process for those that would otherwise qualify for PreCheck. Usually they give you a card to show the agent that shows you can keep your shoes on and maybe a light jacket but otherwise it's like regular non-Pre security.

Generally speaking though, if one is at an airport that offers "real" Precheck, the list I posted is pretty accurate.

Seems odd, flying out of Kansas City. Was it just the once, or has it happened to you repeatedly there? I know some smaller airports don't really have true Pre-check but instead do an "expedited" security process for those that would otherwise qualify for PreCheck. Usually they give you a card to show the agent that shows you can keep your shoes on and maybe a light jacket but otherwise it's like regular non-Pre security.

Generally speaking though, if one is at an airport that offers "real" Precheck, the list I posted is pretty accurate.

It happened the only time I have flown out of KC. But I have seen small variations in Pre procedures at different airports. Usually not a big deal- I am always looking for the sign stating what is expected as I get into the line. KC was the most deviant from the standard procedures that I have experienced.

As someone who has paid for the service (GE is what I paid for and Pre-check is "included") is drives me nuts when the airlines "give it away" to random people for free. (along with the free bag check at the gate, but that is a whole different kettle of fish). Nothing against the OP, just a statement in general.

Yes i have issues.

Edited by TruckerDave

As someone who has paid for the service (GE is what I paid for and Pre-check is "included") is drives me nuts when the airlines "give it away" to random people for free. (along with the free bag check at the gate, but that is a whole different kettle of fish). Nothing against the OP, just a statement in general.

I pay for GE too but don't have a problem with the fact Pre is given away to some people randomly on that basis alone, I just don't see why it is given away when all it seems to do is hold up the line because the people don't seem to understand how Pre works.

Is it supposed to be some kind of trial hoping people will pay for it?

Is it supposed to be some kind of trial hoping people will pay for it?

Yup to entice you, get the experience then go pay for it.

I got pre because of Global Entry gives you a known traveler number and that works in the Pre system.

From the TSA interview stories I've read my CBP experience was a breeze comparing them and it was on ground side at the airport.