TSA Pre check

Swells1

Yup to entice you, get the experience then go pay for it.

I got pre because of Global Entry gives you a known traveler number and that works in the Pre system.

From the TSA interview stories I've read my CBP experience was a breeze comparing them and it was on ground side at the airport.

Wasn't automatic precheck included as an airline CC benefit a few years ago? It just seems to be a recollection of some CC T & C that I have...but, may be mistaken.

Wasn't automatic precheck included as an airline CC benefit a few years ago? It just seems to be a recollection of some CC T & C that I have...but, may be mistaken.

I do recall some credit cards offering to reimburse the cost of Pre if cc holder applied but not sure that it was automatic because you had a particular credit card.

WAAAAAAY back, I remember the Delta platinum AMEX card got you in the Delta priority line. But, that was before the smurfs took over security. Some may get you into the airline priority line if they have one at the airport, but that is not the same as the PreCheck line.

For sure, the straight AMEX Plat card (and probably it's pricer brother the Centurion card) give a $100 credit toward your Global Entry application. I've used that feature twice - the intitlal application and my renewal.

It's probably a brain fart memory on my part.

We finally got global entry, so it will now be more assured (but not guaranteed).

It has been strange though - we've been batting 1000 since they have instituted it. We fly mostly Delta, but also got it on American (have that card CC also). And even on Air Canada we had precheck going and coming back they pulled us to a different line for immigration in YYZ...but, I think in that case it was just to test a sample group on new machines they had installed.

For sure, the straight AMEX Plat card (and probably it's pricer brother the Centurion card) give a $100 credit toward your Global Entry application.

In the UK the Centurion card alone gives you access to Fast Track security at LHR when departing. Just show the card itself.

In the UK the Centurion card alone gives you access to Fast Track security at LHR when departing. Just show the card itself.

Hey, for the annual fee on that card, you SHOULD get Fast Track!!! I think the Plat fee is too much, but I get it via my divorce decree (the ex has to pay it for me :D)

Hey, for the annual fee on that card, you SHOULD get Fast Track!!! I think the Plat fee is too much, but I get it via my divorce decree (the ex has to pay it for me :D)

Well played! ;)

The fee IS high, but given the perks I find it worthwhile. $200 yearly in airline fee payments, Global Entry fee payment, lounge access, Amex travel benefits, and on and on.

Well played! ;)

The fee IS high, but given the perks I find it worthwhile. $200 yearly in airline fee payments, Global Entry fee payment, lounge access, Amex travel benefits, and on and on.

Don't forget the automatic Gold status with Starwood and Hilton, always nice for a couple of amenities when you check in ;)

Amex Plat is generally regarded as one of the best cards to have, but not the one to put spend on. Though the new 5x on flights makes it quite attractive.

True, but the Sapphire Reserve gives 3x on all travel expenses and they seem to code travel pretty liberally. Plus the Reserve card gives a different version of Priority Pass whereby the cardholder and multiple guests are allowed free entry, whereby with AmEx Platinum only the cardholder is. I am thinking AmEx is going to have to continue to up the ante or they might well see defectors.

Pre Check was included for many who had elite status with various airlines for a while. But that ended a while ago.

I think giving Pre Check to those who don't pay - whether CC holders, elite flyers or randomly - cheapens the value and the service. As was said above, many who randomly get it have no idea what it means. Those who might know (elite flyers) and the random folk just add to the congestion in the Pre Check line that some pay for and have to undergo a background check for. Glad it is slowly starting to change.

True, but the Sapphire Reserve gives 3x on all travel expenses and they seem to code travel pretty liberally. Plus the Reserve card gives a different version of Priority Pass whereby the cardholder and multiple guests are allowed free entry, whereby with AmEx Platinum only the cardholder is. I am thinking AmEx is going to have to continue to up the ante or they might well see defectors.

That's the card I sent DH to, to replace an old US bank card that he was attached to. Priority pass has no lounges in our home airport..DTW, but in next year's travel plans I forsee at least 6 potential lounge visits, outside of airline lounges that we'll be entitled to. So it will end up being a good card, in that respect.

Unfortunately we signed up for Global, a month before we decided on the card. I'm still learning this stuff.

Edited by buggins0402

That's the card I sent DH to, to replace an old US bank card that he was attached to. Priority pass has no lounges in our home airport..DTW, but in next year's travel plans I forsee at least 6 potential lounge visits, outside of airline lounges that we'll be entitled to. So it will end up being a good card, in that respect.

Unfortunately we signed up for Global, a month before we decided on the card. I'm still learning this stuff.

Being based in DTW you might consider the AmEx platinum instead. That one gains you access to Delta lounges (at least 3 in DTW, maybe 4). Only the cardholder gains access, but you can add up to 3 cardholders for a one-time annual fee of $175 (not per person) and then up to four of you can have access. It also comes with Priority Pass (again no guests, but each cardholder has access). On top of that, you are able to access AmEx Centurion lounges that are in various locations including SEA, LAS, DFW, MIA, LGA and a couple of other places.

Being based in DTW you might consider the AmEx platinum instead. That one gains you access to Delta lounges (at least 3 in DTW, maybe 4). Only the cardholder gains access, but you can add up to 3 cardholders for a one-time annual fee of $175 (not per person) and then up to four of you can have access. It also comes with Priority Pass (again no guests, but each cardholder has access). On top of that, you are able to access AmEx Centurion lounges that are in various locations including SEA, LAS, DFW, MIA, LGA and a couple of other places.

I've been to the Centurion Lounge at SFO a few times - verrrry nice! Nice wines by the glass, real food... far superior to any Delta, AA, or United lounge.

Hmmm, thanks. I'll file this in the memory bank when I'm looking for another card....too late for this year's card rotations. We'll see what happens to the Starwood that I signed up for, once the merger is complete. The Chase Reserve does work for DH (that's a done deal - already have the points), he banks with Chase and likes having everything show up on one page...his backup card is his Chase United.

He's not the points player I am. So this will be his go to card as long as we're still traveling enough to have it make sense.

Amex Plat is generally regarded as one of the best cards to have, but not the one to put spend on. Though the new 5x on flights makes it quite attractive.

True. Most of my actual spend goes on the Delta Amex Plat (for those unfamiliar, that's a completely different card than the unbranded Amex platinum) to get the MQD spend waiver for medallion status, as well as the bonus 20k MQM's for hitting spend thresholds. :)

Edited by waterbug123

Actually there is some variety as to what you can and can't do with Pre. I have Pre through Global Entry. Flying out of Kansas City, the only thing I didn't have to do was take off shoes. Liquids bag was out. Tablet came out. Belt came off, as they metal detector was sensitive. Have flown through many airports, Kansas City was the most restrictive by far. But have seen some variation at smaller airports as well.

I flew out of Kansas City a month ago and it was standard Pre. Shoes stayed on, laptop and 3-1-1 stayed in suitcase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

It figures, I signed up for TSA Precheck figuring I wouldn't be making any out of country trips, and now we are planning a Med Cruise. Should have gotten Global Entry.

Plus I have a Platinum AMEX card and did not realize they cover up $100 on the GE fee.

While the yearly fee, is a little pricey, I feel over 5 year windows I break even or come out ahead based on the various airline fees, OBC credits that the card covers. Being able to use the Delta sky lounge is a definite benefit for getting out the noise of the terminal.

We agree! Have had AMEX since 1977 but only upgraded to Platinum a few years ago..for the perks. But the Chase card seems to be a better fit and value for our travel patterns. For now, we are playing wait and see...wondering if and when AMEX will add some perks to better compete with the Chase Card. If AMEX does not do something in the next few months we will likely get the Chase Sapphire Reserve and scale back our AMEX to a Senior Gold or simple Green.

Hank