High Speed Internet: False Advertising

ak1004

We are now cruising on Celebrity Equinox, and the Internet connection is ridiculously slow.

Here is a speed test taken on two different occasions:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5857260650

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5839601918

I have news for you Celebrity Cruises: 0.17 MB/s is NOT High Speed Internet. Charging $300 for that kind of service and call it High Speed is OUTRAGEOUS.

I complained to guest services and iLounge manager, but their answer was that this is what all guests get and they are very happy about it.

We are now cruising on Celebrity Equinox, and the Internet connection is ridiculously slow.

I have news for you Celebrity Cruises: 0.17 MB/s is NOT High Speed Internet. Charging $300 for that kind of service and call it High Speed is OUTRAGEOUS.

I complained to guest services and iLounge manager, but their answer was that this is what all guests get and they are very happy about it.

I guess "high speed" is a relative term, huh? I always find the Internet connections agonizingly slow.

If you're up, try again in the middle of the night. I'm wondering if network congestion has anything to do with the the results you are getting, and it would be interesting to see the speeds when none of your fellow passengers are on board. That kind of test might also give you more ammunition to complain.

Thanks for posting your speedtest results. I've been hoping someone would. Just curious, were these from a tablet, phone, or computer? I'm planning to check on the Silhouette next month with both phone and tablet. They shouldn't be different but sometimes mine are on my home wifi.

I guess "high speed" is a relative term, huh? I always find the Internet connections agonizingly slow.

If you're up, try again in the middle of the night. I'm wondering if network congestion has anything to do with the the results you are getting, and it would be interesting to see the speeds when none of your fellow passengers are on board. That kind of test might also give you more ammunition to complain.

There are few different definitions of high speed. Some define as 4MBs or higher, some 1Mbs or higher. 0.17MBs is NOT high speed by any definition.

I'm pretty sure that network congestion is one of the reasons for slow speed. In fact, the IT guys told me that they request for more bandwidth when demand is higher. Just measured it now (8.27am) and I'm getting around 2Mbs.

But how does it help me? I need it the most when everyone else is using it.

I'm currently on Reflection. I tried a speed test with DSL Reports which I use at home. Before running the test, a message came up that, due to the proxy being used by the ship, test results will probably be meaningless. I got a download speed of about 1.4 while the upload was about 4 times that, which is unusual. My computer does not seem a lot slower than at home with my broadband. I tried YouTube as streaming is going to be the real rest of download speed. The video took six seconds to load and streamed with no buffering, an indication the 1.4 reading is not the actual speed.

On the Reflection TA internet was excellent - even the 7 days crossing the Atlantic. Had no problem downloading newspapers, no dropped connection. Almost too good DH who usually doesn't use his free minutes ( I get them) used his minutes this time:eek:

Their website does not indicate a speed :p

Our new Xcelerate Wi-Fi service means higher-speed Internet, so you can now share your sumptuous dinners and exciting shore excursions with Facebook and YouTube friends. Show off your stylish stateroom by FaceTime or Skype. Stream must-see shows from your favorite sites like Netflix. Use your own smartphone, tablet, or laptop to connect, or use one of our workstations in the Celebrity iLoungeSM which is open 24 hours a day. Choose from a variety of Internet packages to suit your needs. Xcelerate is now available on all our ships*.

This was the results of my test on the recent Reflection TA. The internet was the best that we have experienced on a cruise.

I could not upload it, but it was 1.77 M upload speed. I would try it at different times on the day.

Of course much slower than at home.

Edited by jagoffee

We were on Equinox over Thanksgiving and both of us were given the unlimited internet as a perk. We used it on our iPhones and iPads, all over the ship, and in the cabin, at different times of the day. We found it much faster than on previous cruises. It wasn't as fast as home but definitely an improvement.

There are few different definitions of high speed. Some define as 4MBs or higher, some 1Mbs or higher. 0.17MBs is NOT high speed by any definition.

You'd need a time machine to get to anywhere where 0.17MBs was high speed. They should play a little.wav file of a dial-up modem.

I hope they get this one sorted in the next 70-some days.

As goofysmom99 asked, what device were you using? I know my Macbook is always eager to connect to wi-fi, but if molasses goes speeding past your downloads...

We had the high speed internet on the Summit last week. There was not a "variety of packages". Paying almost $250 per person was the only option offered. Like you, we had to stay connected for work, and for family. We consoled ourselves that at least it would be fast. It was awful. We had faster internet on Carnival for $5 per day. They limit to social media only but even their full plan is faster and cheaper. Celebrity has work to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was using my laptop (which is less than one year old) and my smart phone. The speed on the smart phone was slightly higher, and the speed in public areas was higher as well.

Those who mentioned that the speed was good - did you use it in public areas or in a cabin?

Here is another test done just now:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5862118234

To me, CHARGING $300 AND PROVIDING 0.10 MB/S SPEED IS OUTRAGEOUS. It is clearly misleading to advertise it as high speed. And no, I'm not comparing it to my speed at home where I get $50-100 MB/s. I realize we are at sea, and I would be very happy with 3-5 MS/s. But not 0.10-0.20.

Something doesn't seem right here. I've never been a fan of speed tests as they can be all over the place but may not necessarily impact performance. 0.1mb is dial-up speed. There would be no way to open a common facebook page without it taking over a minute or to stream music or videos.

You posted speedtest results but I didn't see if you mentioned how it's actually performing. Are you able to open web pages easily or stream anything? Others are saying they are able to do all that with only minor delays compared to home wifi. If it's as bad as those test results show, there's no way they could do that.

I'm pretty sure that network congestion is one of the reasons for slow speed. In fact, the IT guys told me that they request for more bandwidth when demand is higher. Just measured it now (8.27am) and I'm getting around 2Mbs.

But how does it help me? I need it the most when everyone else is using it.

From .17 to 2MBs is quite a range of speeds. After my first experience with ship-based Internet I only use it when I can get it free. It's probably the most expensive thing on board in terms of cost / value.

We were on the Equinox transatlantic in October and the internet was very good....from our stateroom and even better in the I lounge, though I only used that once. Far better than it used to be. It did everything we needed it to and quickly...have no idea what "speed" it was at...I just know we had no issues....even in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

We spent a few weeks on the Equinox this past December and January in the Caribbean, and my speedtest results on both an iPad and iPhone were in the 12-18 KILObyte/sec range. So, while I'm not excited by the current results, they are ten times better than we saw a year ago.

Edited by rwb

Something doesn't seem right here. I've never been a fan of speed tests as they can be all over the place but may not necessarily impact performance. 0.1mb is dial-up speed. There would be no way to open a common facebook page without it taking over a minute or to stream music or videos.

You posted speedtest results but I didn't see if you mentioned how it's actually performing. Are you able to open web pages easily or stream anything? Others are saying they are able to do all that with only minor delays compared to home wifi. If it's as bad as those test results show, there's no way they could do that.

The loading of web pages was pretty slow, but not completely unreasonable. Many websites took 3-5 seconds to load. Video streaming was possible but with buffering every few seconds, so practically you could not watch any videos.

The main problem was with my trading software which kept giving me connection errors. Same software works with no issues on the same laptop at home.