1st time in Aruba-What to do-beach people

mitsugirly

This will be our very first time in Aruba and can't wait to experience it, but have no idea what we should do or where to look.

**We are in port from 2-11:30pm**

We are "beach" loving people and also love to snorkel (and recently did a Discover Scuba dive a few months ago and absolutely would do it again).

We are not touristy people, so no suggestions on "tours", site-seeing, history, shopping or places to eat. It's just not our thing.

Looking for.... the most beautiful beach ever.

If that can be combined with snorkeling, from the beach, that would be an added plus.

If there's a great place that does Discover Scuba from the beach even better.

We have an 8 year old that is a PADI Seal team member and has completed a few "Aqua Mission" dives, with one also being a Bubble Maker class/dive just done in St Thomas. So, if there's a great scuba place to book with, they must have something that she can do as well (like another Bubble Maker class).

Open to suggestions and thanks in advance. :)

Edited by mitsugirly

The 2 "main" beaches are Eagle Beach and Palm Beach...both are easy cab rides.. and have clam surf. There are lots of other beaches, but some have rougher surf than others! Many beaches have NO facilities....so look out for that! Google "Aruba beaches", and lots of info pops up!

Arashi Beach, great beach and great snorkeling from the beach, they just put in new restrooms and a concession stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Arashi Beach looks absolutely beautiful and I'm seeing decent snorkeling.

How did you get there? I'm reading by cab is around $25? Does that sound right? I also see you can catch the bus for around $2.60? (or $2.30).

How do you get to the bus station? Do most cruisers try to do this since it is cheaper and there won't be any room on the bus? How often do the buses run? Is there a schedule?

What about getting back to the port? How do you know what time the bus runs? I assume by cab, you would need to ask them to pick you back up?

I did read new restrooms at Arashi, but everything I have read (from last year) states they were just sitting there and not open. Any confirmations they are open now?

Any food there or chair rental?

Where is the snorkeling located? Far from shore or close by? Since I have an 8 year old with me, I don't like swimming out too far even though she's a good swimmer, it still worries me at times. How deep is the snorkeling area and which way do you go once in the water?

Thanks in advance for any help with the questions. :)

At least consider going to De Palm Island. ;)

Tell me more about it please. I looked it up for pictures online and it looks like a fun day.

Do you get passes from the cruise ship or a private vendor? What all does it include? Is the water park, zip lining and other stuff included? How far away from the port is it and how do you get there?

Remember, we won't be in port until 2pm, so if this is an excursion that closes early, like 5pm, it wouldn't be worth it to us.

Sorry, I didn't realize you would not be in port until 2PM.

It would not be worth it for you to go to De Palm Island. :(

Ok, thanks for letting me know. I wasn't sure if it would work with our schedule, so thought I would ask. Any other suggestions?

Sorry, I didn't realize you would not be in port until 2PM.

It would not be worth it for you to go to De Palm Island. :(

Hi, as you know we are on your sailing in Jan... tell me more about De Palm Island please..how do we get there from the dock? I assume taxi?

Also, their website says cruise passengers must purchase their passes from the cruiseline itself.. i dont like the sound of that !

Edited by nw_man

So a few questions after doing a little bit of research...

If we take the bus to Arashi, spend some time, then walk (by the street??) over to Catalina Cove and then on over to Boca Catalina, does that mean that we would have to walk back to Arashi to catch the bus back? Is that the only place where the bus stop is located in that area? How long of a walk is this?

Is this the bus stop at the cruise terminal that you go to in order to catch the bus?

cruise%20terminal%20to%20bus_zpsxdbtik26.jpg

Or do you go to a bus stop on the street and that's just the main bus station for the buses?

I found this "map" of the snorkeling for Arashi. Is this a very hard swim? Is there any current going in this direction that would make it hard to swim out there and that way? How deep is this area? It makes me worried that it says "advanced snorkelers", which I would think with all the snorkeling we do in every port, with each cruise, that we would be considered "advanced" but it still sometimes worries me to go out, especially with my young daughter, who thinks she's a fish/mermaid.

SnorkelingArashiBeachMap_zpsuzx7n1t8.jpg

The other thing is, I found this bus schedule online. O'stad is at the cruise port correct? The last time it gives for a bus from there to Arashi is 1:27, but our ship does not get in until 2pm. Does this mean that a bus is not going to be an option for us? Why would they stop running so early?

Also, it says the last bus from Arashi is 1:56pm. Again, why would they not run all day? Or did I find a bad site with schedules?

bus%20stop%20schedule_zpsxvzk9q5y.jpg

Remember that we have all day and don't pull out of port until late that night. I have read another complaint on here that they waited for almost an hour and no buses ever came. So, if you are all the way out there by Arashi and came by bus (instead of a taxi where you could ask them to return for you) and no one around to call a cab...what the heck would you do to get back to port??? :confused: (The poster didn't mention what they did, just that the bus never came).

THIS is the website I was getting the bus times from. Is this a good site or is there another?

I can't answer all of your questions, but I can answer some. Arashi is beautiful. The bus does stop at Arashi, but not at Boca Catalina. I don't know how often the bus runs up that far. I've always taken a taxi to Arashi. I'm not sure of the price from the port because we always go from our hotel in Aruba.

We've used the buses many times to get around. On one occasion, the bus picked us up at our bus stop. It wouldn't start after we got on.We were all told to stay in our seats, that someone was coming to fix it. The bus was full of locals, and they didn't seem bothered by it. We had dinner reservations and decided that we couldn't wait any longer. We got off of the bus and were fortunate that we were able to wave down a taxi, driving down the street. I have no idea what happened after we left. People in the caribbean are just so laid back (not us).

If you take the bus, ask the driver what time they are planning on coming back up there. You can hire a taxi, and make arrangements for him/her to pick you up at a certain time. There will be no taxis available at Arashi or Boca Catalina.

The main bus station is right across the street from the port, just as it is on your map.

I know that you don't like tours. We've snorkeled with Black Pearl and they are fabulous. They only take a dozen or so people, so it is never crowded. They go to all of the good snorkeling spots. It is not a party boat. For us, it is perfect.

We usually go in at Catalina Cove and snorkel to Arashi and back to Boca Catalina. They are all a block apart. The water is between 5 and 15 feet deep at 200yds out. We have never encountered current and it is usually calm as the wind blows offshore most of the time. You can also walk it on the sidewalk. A very safe place to snorkel, as for your map, we never went north as they are showing.

I can't answer all of your questions, but I can answer some. Arashi is beautiful. The bus does stop at Arashi, but not at Boca Catalina. I don't know how often the bus runs up that far. I've always taken a taxi to Arashi. I'm not sure of the price from the port because we always go from our hotel in Aruba.

We've used the buses many times to get around. On one occasion, the bus picked us up at our bus stop. It wouldn't start after we got on.We were all told to stay in our seats, that someone was coming to fix it. The bus was full of locals, and they didn't seem bothered by it. We had dinner reservations and decided that we couldn't wait any longer. We got off of the bus and were fortunate that we were able to wave down a taxi, driving down the street. I have no idea what happened after we left. People in the caribbean are just so laid back (not us).

If you take the bus, ask the driver what time they are planning on coming back up there. You can hire a taxi, and make arrangements for him/her to pick you up at a certain time. There will be no taxis available at Arashi or Boca Catalina.

The main bus station is right across the street from the port, just as it is on your map.

I know that you don't like tours. We've snorkeled with Black Pearl and they are fabulous. They only take a dozen or so people, so it is never crowded. They go to all of the good snorkeling spots. It is not a party boat. For us, it is perfect.

So it sounds like we would have to snorkel all 3 beaches and then walk back to Arashi to catch the return bus. It just makes me nervous to know that it's possible that the bus might not come? Then I would be stuck and wouldn't really know what to do at that point (glad we are there late).

I did take a look at the Black Pearl excursion and it looked wonderful. However, one of the reasons we really don't care for a boat/Catamaran excursion is it's just that...a boat and snorkeling. There's no beach and we love the beach. Plus I kinda like starting from the beach and working my way into deeper instead of just jumping into the deep. I don't know why.

We usually go in at Catalina Cove and snorkel to Arashi and back to Boca Catalina. They are all a block apart. The water is between 5 and 15 feet deep at 200yds out. We have never encountered current and it is usually calm as the wind blows offshore most of the time. You can also walk it on the sidewalk. A very safe place to snorkel, as for your map, we never went north as they are showing.

A block apart doesn't sound too bad (unless this "block" is like a football field type of block :p). Hopefully we won't encounter too much of a current and it will be nice and calm.

I wonder why the map says to go in the opposite direction. But hey, as long as there is enough to see the other way, I'll be fine. :D

Misguirly....we always snorkel at Boca Catalina. Its where the catamarans wind up on the expensive tours. We do the local bus and have never had any trouble getting off or on at Catalina. Just walk about 10 feet into the water and lay down into a natural aquarium. The whole snorkel costs us about 10 bucks for transportation. Overtime we say next time we will make it to Arashi but we never get past the beauty we find at Boca Catalina. Hope this helps in that your reviews have helped us numerous times.

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

Hi ... We were just on Navigator and took a cab to Boca Catalina $23... Just our decision to get there fast. Beautiful snorkeling. Then walked... It is very short.. to Arashi. Small snack shop. Enjoyed beach for a while. We then hopped bus to Palm Beach for a little more action. Have fun.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Forums mobile app

Misguirly....we always snorkel at Boca Catalina. Its where the catamarans wind up on the expensive tours. We do the local bus and have never had any trouble getting off or on at Catalina. Just walk about 10 feet into the water and lay down into a natural aquarium. The whole snorkel costs us about 10 bucks for transportation. Overtime we say next time we will make it to Arashi but we never get past the beauty we find at Boca Catalina. Hope this helps in that your reviews have helped us numerous times.

It sounds like Boca Catalina is the place to go! So did you just ask the bus driver to drop you off at Catalina and they did even though there's not a bus stop there? I would much rather do this and walk back toward Arashi and catch the bus back instead of back-tracking.

So nice to hear that my reviews have helped you. :)

Hi ... We were just on Navigator and took a cab to Boca Catalina $23... Just our decision to get there fast. Beautiful snorkeling. Then walked... It is very short.. to Arashi. Small snack shop. Enjoyed beach for a while. We then hopped bus to Palm Beach for a little more action. Have fun.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Forums mobile app

Did you snorkel at Arashi? Or just hung out at the beach? I would love to just hit up all the beaches there and then head to Palm Beach as well. Our problem is that we don't get into port until 2pm and the sunset is around 7pm, so I'm not sure if we'll have the option to do that or not. :(

Getting off at Boca Catalina has never been a problem. Several years ago that turn around was the end of the road. When catching the bus back we walk toward Arashi where there is another stop. But again we have never made it all the way to Arashi. The bus driver knows where to let you off when you tell him Boca Catalina.

I guess it helps to understand the geography. We have been visiting Aruba for over forty years (and done more then our share of snorkeling) and have our own favorites. If you pull up a decent online map of Aruba you should be able to locate Boca Catalina and Arashi...both of which are towards the North end of the island out past the better known Palm Beach. There is a reef area that is actually located offshore in the area between Boca Catalina and Arashi. Snorkelers that are capable of swimming some distance can access the best parts of that reef from either beach (our personal preference has always been to enter the water from the left side of Arashi). As to the bus line, the last stop (where the bus turns around) is at the parking lot of Arashi...which is one stop beyond Boca.

As we mentioned in another post, Arashi has recently undergone a major change. For many years it was a popular place with locals (Arubians) as well as many of us who vacationed on the island. Not many cruisers went out to Arashi since there were no facilities! But recently, a new small facility has opened with drinks, some food, and rest rooms. So now, Arashi has become more popular (which makes me a bit unhappy). We also mentioned (in another thread) that the reef (snorkel) area has been badly damaged in recent years due to some storms, wave action, tourists, etc. Although it is still one of the 2 best snorkel spots (reachable from a beach) on the island...it can be disappointing for those that enjoy seeing a decent reef. That being said, with a little luck you will still see lots of interesting fish.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Following since we'll be in Aruba in March and I'm curious which place you end up going!

Side note: Mitsugirly, I'd love to know if you have a suggestion for shore snorkeling in Nassau? We took your recommendation for Blue Kay in Costa Maya and loved it! Would love to find a good place in Nassau.

Following since we'll be in Aruba in March and I'm curious which place you end up going!

Side note: Mitsugirly, I'd love to know if you have a suggestion for shore snorkeling in Nassau? We took your recommendation for Blue Kay in Costa Maya and loved it! Would love to find a good place in Nassau.

Sorry, I have not been able to really experience any good snorkeling from shore in Nassau. The only place we have really snorkeled was on a catamaran excursion back in 2010. I did a little bit of snorkeling around Junkanoo a few months ago but it's not really a snorkeling place and not a lot to see, but I always manage to see "something" when snorkeling no matter where I'm at. :p

Thanks! It's looking like there isn't any good places in Nassau for what we want. We're toying with the idea of doing the dolphin encounter at Blue Lagoon. This is something my boys have neve done, but I think they would enjoy!

Thanks! It's looking like there isn't any good places in Nassau for what we want. We're toying with the idea of doing the dolphin encounter at Blue Lagoon. This is something my boys have neve done, but I think they would enjoy!

We really enjoyed Blue Lagoon, but didn't do the dolphins there. If you ever make it to Cozumel, THAT is the place you want to swim with the dolphins. It's a great place and the cost is more than half that of any other place you'll find (plus they offer BOGO deals all the time). :)

• 2 weeks later...