Bloomberg/Business Week Story - Art Auctions at Sea

tcdcruiser

Yes IMO the art auctions are different. The Spa displays are small and unintrusive; occasionally they seem to take over areas for a sales talk etc but this is usually a small area and easy to bypass. Brochures for any activity on board are easy to throw away but I don't see the spa having multiple 'invitations' placed at my door. One of the most annoying things is that often the art work is set up so that you have to pass through the area to get somewhere.

Not worth getting into a fight over but the cruise lines must be making a packet from them. I for one would love to see them disappear, or maybe just a small art gallery area for those who want to buy.

No fight here Aussieflyer. We just ignore the auctions and enjoy some of the other venues.

I enjoyed it much more when Princess used their own company / a different company to sell art. I went to a Park West art auction on my last cruise and did not enjoy it at all. After reading this, I know that the company is super scummy. Thanks for sharing.

I've been to both the old Princess Fine Arts as well as the current Park West auctions and I actually say I think PW is a little less scummy. Two things I did not like about the old Princess Fine Arts:

- Whatever the winning bid price was, there was a 10% "buyer's premium" on top of it. Buyer's premiums are the way a real auction house makes its money when the seller is a separate party (e.g. winning bid is $1000, buyer actually pays $1100, seller gets $1000, auctioneer gets $100 as their fee) but it makes no sense when the auctioneer is selling from their own inventory. It was just a way to get people to pay more.

- Sometimes after multiple people had been bidding, the auctioneer would then offer the losing bidder a second copy at the same price. This offends me because they created the illusion (although I know that's not true) that you're bidding on a unique item only at then end to go "oops, I have another". At least PW, when they want to sell multiple copies, essentially does fixed price sales of the items (usually in the guise of being a mystery item).

That all said, I will be avoiding them in the future.

As I always do when this subject arises, I ask all cruisers to attend and purchase as many pieces that they can afford. Take your kid's inheritance or the inheritance you got from your parents and spend it all on the pieces that are for sale of the ships. This will help to insure that my cost of cruising stays lower. Thank You in advance.

Appreciate this above funny comment. BUT, in all seriousness, I read over this whole article by the Bloomberg reporter and was shocked. I knew these ship-board art "deals" were bad, however, this documentation paints an even worse situation. What a bunch of total crooks!!!

This reporter did a great job in digging, deeper and deeper, into the specific production tricks and sales games played by this company. Hard to believe that any of the cruise companies would be this desperate for cash to cheat their customers in such a totally deceptive manner. Very, very shameful. Sad!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 163,590 views for this posting.

I think that the "shopping show" that they have on the fist sea day is a ripoff. I think that they charge $15-$20 to go, and they give you coupons and a list of "guaranteed" shops to shop at where you will get the best price. All this is is a list of stores owned by the cruiseship, or stores that pay a very large fee to the cruiseline to be featured. It seems like only first time cruisers fall for it, though

I typically post on these threads when they pop up as I think it's important to share all types of experiences. I read the article and found it interesting yet also with a few issues. We have purchased a total of 5 pieces while onboard Princess ships, all from the Park West run program. We aren't wealthy, we don't collect art, we don't look at art as an investment, just want something we enjoy hanging on the wall. Maybe that makes us different than most that attend these, I don't know, but I wanted to share our experience.

The article was a good read but there were some issues I would like to highlight. First, it mainly focused on high end pieces, in fact the cheapest price mentioned I think was $1,400. There are numerous pieces that are available at significantly less amounts, but I understand that much of the concern centers around the high end pieces. The author must also have cruised 20 years ago with regards to being able to do research if one really wanted to. Princess Internet is by no means blazing fast but it's usable. Plus no one said you had to make a decision immediately on site. They have multiple auctions and you can request a piece be brought up at any of them, especially if you speak with the staff and tell them you want to buy a specific piece. That gives you plenty of time either while on board or while in port to do any research you need.

In all the auctions I have been to I have never heard anyone mention an investment or appreciation in value. I have heard plenty of talking up the artist and their work but never anything I would construe as misleading.

I'm no collector as I mentioned before, and there are lots of terms used and thrown around that I honestly can't accurately differentiate, lithograph, serigraph, giclee, etc. when we have bought art I pay what I feel the value is to me. I understand I'm not getting an original, mainly cause I wouldn't pay the high price for one. But I know that someone created what I'm buying and that's worth a certain amount to me, and if it's more than I'm willing to pay I just don't buy it.

We have found that their costs for framing art that is purchased is insanely reasonable when compared to land based pricing. We shopped some local places (both chain and locally owned) and the cost was almost double the cost of what Princess offered.

TL;DR: I have never felt mislead at a Princess Art Auction, when I buy I know I'm not getting an original, but something I enjoy at a price I'm happy with. If your looking for an investment, or buying a high end item, you need to do your due diligence just like with any other purchase.

2 years ago we were on the Royal Princess and attended an art auction, mainly for fun and something to do. I "won" a free print and was told to see them the next morning. We scheduled our appointment for 11AM and was greeted by 2 sales people. They showed me a very modern print of someone playing a sax. Of course it needed to be re-framed for a charge of $230 which included free shipping to my home. I said, no thanks, I'll just take the print and have it framed at home. Oh, no, that couldn't be done, but they would be happy to send me the print only to me for $35. I should have refused but stupidly had it sent to my home. I tried to sell it a a garage sale, but no takers. My son-in-law who plays sax is now a proud owner of an unframed print he really didn't want but was kind enough to take it off my hands. Never again.

I think that the "shopping show" that they have on the fist sea day is a ripoff. I think that they charge $15-$20 to go, and they give you coupons and a list of "guaranteed" shops to shop at where you will get the best price. All this is is a list of stores owned by the cruiseship, or stores that pay a very large fee to the cruiseline to be featured. It seems like only first time cruisers fall for it, though

Haven't done the shopping show since my first cruise in 1986. It is a newbie trap. They didn't charge but the did sell a coupon book for $20. I didn't buy the book. Why any one would pay for a coupon book to stores they may not even shop in is beyond me. I agree this scam is right up there with the art auctions and the detox seminars.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been to both the old Princess Fine Arts as well as the current Park West auctions and I actually say I think PW is a little less scummy. I did not like about the old Princess Fine Arts:

- Whatever the winning bid price was, there was a 10% "buyer's premium" on top of it.

PW also charges the 10% buyer's premium.

...And on Celebrity when the announcement came on on the PA in my room itself it felt like the last straw.

I'm sorry to hear that about Celebrity. When I sailed on them years ago, just one announcement was made each day by the captain around noon, with the ships position, etc. I guess you have to move up to the luxury lines for that kind of peace and quiet now :(.

There is no charge to attend the "shopping show." In fact, they will advertise door prizes and such to get you to attend.

I'm surprised they don't have astrology and homeopathy seminars. :rolleyes:

I will hosting a Phrenology seminar on my next set of cruises. I will be providing free Champagne (Sparkling Syrup) and a complimentary Phrenology Chart. (Of course, I will need to mail the chart to your home address for a small* fee.) Come one and all, bring the kids, bring the crew for this scientific and fun time.

* Everyone's definition of this word differs, so I will go with the broadest definition that I can think of.

We just got off the Regal. Park West basically took over the Piazza every morning with either auctions or "education" seminars. If a person went to the international cafe other places on the middle of the ship, you could not help but hear them. The Piazza used to have some entertainment most mornings, but it was all Park West. It could have had something to do with some people there were on a "free cruise" from Park West. Apparently they had spent enough money with Park West that it was a free cruise.

We just got off the Regal. Park West basically took over the Piazza every morning with either auctions or "education" seminars. If a person went to the international cafe other places on the middle of the ship, you could not help but hear them. The Piazza used to have some entertainment most mornings, but it was all Park West. It could have had something to do with some people there were on a "free cruise" from Park West. Apparently they had spent enough money with Park West that it was a free cruise.

Wow! I wonder how much they spent? I hate to hear that about the Piazza being taken over. On our last cruise you could ignore them.

How so, NorbertsNiece? Perhaps you could share how the Art auctions differ from, say the Spa folk that display their products and services at the Horizon Court and certainly send out state room material.

I don’t want to get into an argument about something so trivial, but I also don't want to miss an opportunity to be indignant about something☺. And, I do understand that some folks are having some fun with the fine sparkling wine.

The post below describes my fears for my upcoming cruise..... I just do NOT want, need or otherwise tolerate noise pollution of this ilk.

I'm sorry to hear that about Celebrity. When I sailed on them years ago, just one announcement was made each day by the captain around noon, with the ships position, etc. I guess you have to move up to the luxury lines for that kind of peace and quiet now :(.

Don't think they currently have the socalled "art" auctions on Pacific Princess. Ask me in 2 weeks for the definitive answer when I embark on her again.

Don't think they currently have the socalled "art" auctions on Pacific Princess. Ask me in 2 weeks for the definitive answer when I embark on her again.

Been a few years unfortunately, but they used to have them on Pacific. (gee I miss that ship).

This is a silly argument. The art auctions are more intrusive than the spa people in the hall outside the Horizon court when they put up their paintings in easels in Explorer's Lounge and all along the walkway in front of it.

When my DW and I were on the Grand in October, we went to the Explorers to listen to the future cruise lecture. You couldn't find a seat because of all the paintings, and had trouble listening because of the chatter from the PW employees.