Last minute questions

Randomatic1

Do I really need a suit for my cruise?

Depends on the ship you are sailing on and the dress code.

Most of the mass market ships you do not. Others like Cunard you do.

Tell us what ship you are on and we can confirm.

I'm concerned about needing to bring a suit for formal night. We're sailing on the Brilliance of the Sea. My wife said "no shorts" at dinner either. True? Also, can I bring an iron to use in a "common

You do not "need" to bring a suit, but you might want to dress up a bit on formal night, and if your wife want you to bring a suit, then it becomes mandatory. You will certainly need long pants unless you want to eat only in the buffet every night, and it won't hurt to take collared shirts, including a dress shirt or two along with a tie, even if you leave the suit at home.

Edited by zqvol

I'm concerned about needing to bring a suit for formal night. We're sailing on the Brilliance of the Sea. My wife said "no shorts" at dinner either. True? Also, can I bring an iron to use in a "common

You cannot bring an iron - they are strictly forbidden due to a possible fire hazard; you can check on the RCCL board to see if they have laundry rooms with irons available in them.

Enjoy your cruise!

You cannot bring an iron - they are strictly forbidden due to a possible fire hazard; you can check on the RCCL board to see if they have laundry rooms with irons available in them.

Enjoy your cruise!

Irons are definitely not allowed, and will be confiscated. No Royal Caribbean ship has laundry rooms/irons. You can send clothes out to be washed/ironed/dry cleaned for a fee. Many people use wrinkle release type spray, or hang clothes in bathroom to get rid of creases.

Shorts are not allowed in the main dining room at dinner. Formal night you will find the majority of men wearing a suit, or at least a long-sleeved dress shirt and tie.

RC often does not enforce their own rules/suggested dress code, but if you decide to wear shorts, for example, be prepared to go change.

Brilliance is one of smaller ships and you may find most people comply rather than one of the bigger ships such as Oasis class.

You can wear shorts at breakfast and lunch in the MDR...just not at dinner. Shorts are ok in the buffet at dinner.

Men should wear a collared shirt and long pants for dinner in the DR....jeans/dockers and golf/polo/hawaiian shirt is fine.

We're sailing on the Brilliance of the Sea. My wife said "no shorts" at dinner either. True? Also, can I bring an iron to use in a "common area" of the ship (like I did on the Disney cruise)?

No shorts at dinner in MDR. and no common area to do any ironing in( and no you may not bring an iron on board anyway)

Shorts are allowed for dinner in the buffet or the other non table service venues.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Enjoy your cruise!

Not picking on you, so please don't take it like that but I have a question that I don't understand.

If something is forbidden on board that means that you cannot bring it with you, right?

If you can't bring it why would someone say that you strictly can't bring something?

I know it is said all the time, in untold numbers of circumstances, but something is either forbidden or it isn't, there aren't various degrees of forbiddenness.

OK, that is my take today on the English language.

Not picking on you, so please don't take it like that but I have a question that I don't understand.

If something is forbidden on board that means that you cannot bring it with you, right?

If you can't bring it why would someone say that you strictly can't bring something?

I know it is said all the time, in untold numbers of circumstances, but something is either forbidden or it isn't, there aren't various degrees of forbiddenness.

Just think of the statement "He killed them really dead".

Scott & Karen

Some people always have an excuse as to why they should be exempt from the policies on board. Or they personally think it is a stupid policy so have no intention of abiding by it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sailed Brilliance earlier this year. Just wore a tie to dinner. No one kicked me out of the dining room. It was a TA 14 day cruise, so I got away with it three or four times.

Is "strictly forbidden" internally redundant? I can see the argument both ways. The term "strictly forbidden" includes the connotation that the prohibition is clear and direct. In the absence of the word "strictly", in other words just the word "forbidden" by itself, it is conceivable that the prohibition is more of a category-based prohibition. So "no smoking" forbids cigarette smoking, cigar smoking, and arguably even vaping. By contrast, a sign that says "no cigar smoking" strictly forbids smoking of that kind of smoking matter. By the same token, that would be better termed "explicitly forbidden".

I do see a lot of merit in the counter- argument which implies that the superfluous word is intended to serve as a warning to self centered people who may get it in their head that they have some discretion with regard to abiding. These days especially I see an awful lot of that sort of thing going on.

My friend bought a small steamer on board our first cruise together on Majesty. She packed it in her checked luggage and it got thru. When she pulled it out in the room, I told her she got lucky. She has since brought it on 2 IOS cruises in her checked luggage and it's not been confiscated. She now believes it's fine. :(

My friend bought a small steamer on board our first cruise together on Majesty. She packed it in her checked luggage and it got thru. When she pulled it out in the room, I told her she got lucky. She has since brought it on 2 IOS cruises in her checked luggage and it's not been confiscated. She now believes it's fine. :(

Just an example of someone who thinks rules don't apply to them. Hopefully she will get caught eventually.

Sailed Brilliance earlier this year. Just wore a tie to dinner. No one kicked me out of the dining room. It was a TA 14 day cruise, so I got away with it three or four times.

I hope you included a shirt and pants with that tie !!:eek: Your post just hit my funny bone !:D