Packing for a 30 day cruise

Sandstris

I tend to overpack and I realize we need to pack smart. We are doing a French Polynesia trip in October 2017 on Norwegian. This is our first time and will be a trip of a lifetime. How many bags do can we use. Is a large duffel bag on wheels a possibility? What are some must haves? Thanks everyone.

I tend to overpack and I realize we need to pack smart. We are doing a French Polynesia trip in October 2017 on Norwegian. This is our first time and will be a trip of a lifetime. How many bags do can we use. Is a large duffel bag on wheels a possibility? What are some must haves? Thanks everyone.

When we did a 33 day trip we were not yet Platinum but still depended on weekly laundry bag special so we only packed ten days' worth of clothes, wearing the clean clothes again after each laundering was returned. So we only had EACH a 26" suitcase and a carryon. This helped with our flights.

Those clothes were for the cold of northern Europe, across the Atlantic, to the warmth and humidity of Caribbean.

You can bring aboard however much luggage you want. A large duffel bag on wheels is a possibility. If you are not flying so don't have weight concern then have concern for port porters who lift the bags and try to keep them to not much more than 50 lbs.

We agree with the concept of packing for 7-10 days, then doing laundry in whatever form is available. As a result we have gone for up to 25 days (and have a 25 day booked for March 2017) with only one large (typically weights 50-60 lbs) checked bag and two carry ons.

We frequently take extended trips. We pack enough clothes for 7 days (items that mix and match create multiple outfits). Most trips/cruises we've had access to laundry facilities, but some not. For those we use the onboard laundry services.

We travel with 2 large(well, not really LARGE, I think one 26" and one 24") rolling suitcases and two backpacks (two people), and have no space issues with packing.

Edited by Shmoo here

Pack for 7-10 days, plan on laundry. Use any luggage that you have, if you drive to the cruise, it doesn't matter. If you fly, follow the airline guidelines.

Do you bring cosmetics? Medicine? These should last through the cruise, and bring a little more than you think you will need. If prescriptions, ask your doctor if he can get you more than for only 1 month.

Pack plenty of sunscreen. We bring our own snorkel equipment, it's much better that what the operators provide. Pack aqua socks or water shoes. I like to wear a quick dry T shirt over a swimsuit for extra sun protection.

If you have a waterproof or underwater camera, bring it. The reefs and fish are incredible. Some people put a waterproof case around their Ipad. If you go to Bora Bora, book the "Walk on the Ocean Floor" excursion. It is one of the best excursions ever.

Do the research to know your airline baggage limits and what an extra bag would cost, then edit your packing. You will have a fantastic cruise!

We need warm clothes for the first few days, which we wash then put away until they're needed again for the last few days. I take separates, even for formal nights, so that I can ring the changes, making sure everything matches in some way- it's no use taking a red skirt if the only top is orange, for instance; I have heavy shoes for travelling to the port, but take roll-up ballerinas for some nights on board. Most things are planned so that they can be easily washed out.

For 28 days we each take a case, which is collected by a firm beforehand, so has to be no more than 23k; we use a smaller wheeled case for embarking, containing anything valuable and medicines.

If it's cold when you leave home (as it often is for us here on the "frozen tundra"), don't wear a heavy jacket, just dress in a few light layers (tank top, long sleeve t-shirt, lightweight shirt and/or sweater) that will get you from the house to the cab/car to the airport. If you work it right, you'll be able to re-use the layering pieces later in your trip.

We were away for a full month and used a rolling duffle and carry on each and had no problems. We made use of the ship's laundry service (paid for unlimited) and sent out clothes every other day. We basically packed for 7 days and recycled the clothing throughout the trip.

A suggestion to help reduce weight is to purchase heavy items like shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash, toothpaste, etc. at the embarkation port and use them on the ship, rather than bringing yours from home. The heaviest items were DH's tux shoes, so he put them in his carry-on.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Great advice so far. We've done 2 28-30 day cruises, and taken 2 medium size suitcases, 1 medium duffle bag for things like shoes and heavier items, and 2 small carry-ons. It's not the clothes that seem to take up so much space, but extras like snorkel gear, shoes, a mini-pharmacy (you won't have good access to a variety of remedies if you come down with something like a cold, sore throat, sunburn, etc.), reading material, electronics,..... Don't forget mosquito repellant!

The tip to check airline weight allowances is important - we were shocked to learn that on international airlines, carry-ons are often limited to as little as 15 pounds, which is easy to exceed unless you have a very light-weight bag. The good news is that we've never had an airline actually weigh the carry-on - probably only happens if you try to take one that looks oversize.

Edited by Kartgv

See the warm weather cruise packing list in my signature. It was 10 days in French Polynesia and pre/post cruise in LA for a total of over two weeks. Take out some of the stuff I needed in LA and add in a black skirt and a couple of nice tops with some bling and you're set.

Edited by ducklite

Like others above, we travel (up to and including a 26-day transAtlantic+Mediterranean cruise) with a 21" 2-wheel "carryon" case and a daypack as our "personal item" each. But we got to this point over 25 years of travel. Having your suitcase not come off the plane with you -- then realizing you can live without it with just what you are carrying -- is a life-changer!

That said, I do not shame anyone for needing or wanting to check a larger bag for whatever reason. Preferring a brand (and needing a quart) of sunscreen or wanting to bling up for "formal or not" nights being two! Just cross-pack and carry on at least a couple outfits and undies to tide you over in the worst case scenario.

What I think is important is being able to handle all that you are taking, yourself. This helps with disembarking (you get to go first!) or whenever porters or luggage carts are in short supply. So a duffle on wheels may be a good solution, if it is sturdy enough to be checked. It will collapse and stow under the bed in your cabin (as will most suitcases). Be sure to mind the weight and know the airlines' restrictions as others have said.

We both wear our hair very short and did 26 days with only liquids that fit in our 3-1-1 bags. Additionally I pack a "dry-toiletries" gallon zippy bag (not full), and a three-compartment roll-up bag of medicinals that is also entirely dry. Includes basic firstaid needs and OTC meds like Mucinex tablet-form cough suppressant, and fits across the bottom of my daypack. As kartgv mentioned above, when you need a bandaid or throat lozenge, they may not be readily available and what IS in the ship's shop will be very pricey. Note that aspirin and meclizine (Dramamine) are available from the front desk at least on Holland America, probably NCL as well.

I do have lists of our 3-1-1 and dry bags' contents from the long cruise (not that it changes with length of trip, at least not much).

We did a week in the Florida keys followed by a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise, backed up to a 12 day repo cruise back to Boston.

29 day vacation. :D

D.W. brought every thing. :cool:

7 bags of luggage total. :)

I don't have enough clothes to fill seven bags. I can't even...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bean town burbs - you sure like Bermuda. I know it's easy sailing out of Boston. We too are originally from the burbs but so many other places in the world to see. Don't get me wrong we too have been to Bermuda approx 5/6 times it is a beautiful island.

We have been retired for four/five years. Since that time we have traveled extensively, often for long periods at a time. We decided to go with carry on only. It was challenging at first but for us the benefits have far outweighed the challenges. Now, we would not have it any other way. Besides, it is all that we can each physically handle with ease. We don't have to depend on anyone one...porters, baggage service, etc. It is very liberating. This is not for everyone.

We skip formal nights in the MDR's. They have lost their appeal to us nor do we relish carrying those additional clothes for a few hours two or three times during our trip.

Edited by iancal

Not all clothes.

Snorkel gear, flippers.

DSLR Camera gear, tripod etc.

I still can't even. Three weeks including a DSLR with grip and two lenses and I still did it in a 20" plus a small personal item.

We tend to do cruises which are at least 24 days - but we're UK based. For the evening, we just try to make sure that every top we take will match every skirt / pair of trousers and I take shrugs / wraps to make them look different. my OH doesn't care! During the day, it doesn't matter but I still take a limited colour palette.

We wash underwear etc either in the laundry or by hand. The worst thing is toiletries for their weight but if you're happy with what Norwegian offers you can use them. Or decide on a port where you will set aside time to find a supermarket and do some shopping. I always research this before we go

Edited by tartanexile81

I still can't even. Three weeks including a DSLR with grip and two lenses and I still did it in a 20" plus a small personal item.

I don't get why one would scrimp on and/or do with out stuff on a cruise vacation.

I like having all my crap with me.