Escape azipod issues

LMaxwell

Just off the Escape today; very good cruise. Azipod issue announced when leaving Tortola; skipped Nassau - Ship still making 15 knots and back to Miami on time. Was told if Azipod issue not fixed next cruise may only have one port of call but can't verify that. Port taxes for Nassau refunded ($16 per person) and $50 per stateroom credit. Personally, I don't care for Nassau OR stops on the last day of a cruise so I was not upset, but many people were very upset and I can sympathize as they had plans and were not happy with the compensation.

Was there any other information provided on the nature of the problem,,, I'm sure people were curious.

No further information provided other than the announcement as we left Tortola and then a letter in the room that evening simply saying "azipod issues". I believe I kept the letter so will have to check my luggage.

Curious is a charitable way to put the chatter I heard around the ship. They did a fine job scheduling additional activities for the extra sea day and weather was great, so I made the most of it. But if the problem is not fixed I can imagine many angry people embarking today.

Seems Azipods cause a lot of issues regardless what logo is on the funnel....

32 dollars refunded and 50 OBC would make me a very happy camper. Those that like the second worst cruise port (after Freeport) would be disappointed though. I would love a cruise to nowhere for 7 days to enjoy the ship and then be able to spend the port charges on board.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

32 dollars refunded and 50 OBC would make me a very happy camper. Those that like the second worst cruise port (after Freeport) would be disappointed though. I would love a cruise to nowhere for 7 days to enjoy the ship and then be able to spend the port charges on board.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I had always planned to stay on the ship in Nassau, so for me, the refund and OBC was nice, but for many others that spend thousands of dollars in airfare, cruise fare, hotels, etc. and had plans for Nassau they were disappointed. If they booked excursions through the cruise they got a refund of course.

I rather liked the 4 sea days and two port stops, although the Tortola stop is way too short with all aboard at 2:30PM. A few more hours there would have been great.

Anyone know if the Escape scheduled to go out today actually left? Was their schedule changed? Was there any compensation if missing ports?

I'm on the Dec 24 cruise and hoping it at least goes to St Thomas and Tortola. Ideally I'd love a fully functioning boat to float on. LOL.

Anyone know if the Escape scheduled to go out today actually left? Was their schedule changed? Was there any compensation if missing ports?

I'm on the Dec 24 cruise and hoping it at least goes to St Thomas and Tortola. Ideally I'd love a fully functioning boat to float on. LOL.

She's underway. Looks a little late. And only doing 15 knots.

Per Marinetraffic dot com, which you can search info - Escape sailed out of MIA around 01:06 UTC - that is 8:06 PM EDT, about an hour later than her scheduled time of 7 PM.

Destination provided by AIS data (on above site & other tracking sites) is VI - STT (St. Thomas) arriving on the 20th ... unless, otherwise ... changes are made en route as warranted. Someone onboard with satellite internet will likely post & share that while at sea.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes to fix an issue like this? We're on the Jan 7 sailing and (like so many others) will be devestated if the cruise is canceled.

There's no correct answer to this. It could be a "simple" fix that can be performed while docked or it sometimes requires a week-or-so-long dry dock. Azipods have a history of breaking down, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just off also. We were planning on staying on the ship also. However, there were a lot of passengers who were disappointed in not stopping in Nassau. There was one German women I ran into in the elevator and this island was her sole purpose for booking the cruise. I did feel back for her.

Also, I think the comp should of been $50.00/person not per cabin. There were many people that had full cabins an just $50.00/ cabin did not seem enough.

I was on the December 10th sailing and heard from someone on board, the azipod issue was related to the computer that runs the azipod. Not sure if this is true or not, you know how those things go. Apparently they tried to fly someone out to the ship before we docked in Miami but were unable to find someone who could fix the issue. I would imagine there is someone on board right now to monitor and fix any issues.

We sailed on the Celebrity Silhouette in December 2014 when it had only one fully functional azipod. They eventually had to drydock it a month later. But it made little difference to our trip. We probably sailed a little slower than the norm but we made all the ports and never knew any different. I guess what I'm saying is do not panic and try to relax and have a good time. If you miss a port, pray that it's Nassau and have fun! ;)

Is there anyone on the Escape this week that can update us on the azipod situation???? Sailing on the Escape at the end of January and am curious if any cruises may be cancelled. Thanks!!!!

It is much more likely that your itinerary will be altered than it is your cruise will be canceled. Ships can function just fine with only one azipod, they just don't move as fast.

Apparently Azipod Issues are common - NCL is having issues with the NCL Star currently sailing in Asia - there is actually some good information about Azipods in this section and in the role calls for those sailings -

I am scheduled to leave 1/5/17 from Singapore and so far the best I can say is I will be on the slow boat to China.

We sailed the Escape last June when they had divers in Miami to replace a part they had just received after some time waiting for it to arrive. Not sure if it was a similar problem but do recall there being some weeks prior to our date where the problem had been mentioned.

We never left Miami until 11 pm that first day. Talk about going nowhere but at least we were on board! People complained then because of the taxes being added to their drinks while in port. It really didn't affect our enjoyment whatsoever. I'm sure you'll still be able to enjoy your cruise also