Living on the Regal Princess--Last Minute Pricing

plane2port

Some of you may remember when I posted back in March about how much it would cost to spend January 2017 on board the Regal Princess.

I've checked last minute pricing, and found that two of the four 7-day sailings are sold out. So if you waited until the last-minute to book, you would be out of luck! The price on the remaining two sailings did go down a bit however!

http://www.plane2port.com/living-regal-princess-last-minute-pricing/

How is a period of 1 month 'living' on board?

Obviously it is not .... But since I was looking at costs across different ships and lines I needed to pick a convenient time period for cost comparison. A week is too short and longer than a month would just take too long to do research.

Edited by plane2port

This past fall we were on the CB for 29 days in a B2B and actually enjoyed it. It was the longest time we ever spent on a cruise ship at one time with the longest before that being 17 days. So we have spent almost one month on a single ship consecutively. I can see how some would like this.

This past fall we were on the CB for 29 days in a B2B and actually enjoyed it. It was the longest time we ever spent on a cruise ship at one time with the longest before that being 17 days. So we have spent almost one month on a single ship consecutively. I can see how some would like this.

Would you have enjoyed staying on another 30 days...or longer?

We once spent 41 days on a B2B2B on another cruise line with no repeat of ports.

By the end of the third segment we were ready to leave. Reasons:

o Same jokes by the captain each segemnt

o Same patter from the CD each segment

o Most of the entertainment was the same each segment

We were on Azamara for 30 days in a suite so had free specialty dining and honestly got sick of filet and lobster every night - it was a fun experience but the repeat menus and you do burn through all the entrees it becomes repetitive - plus just no food control and felt obese by the end!!!

By the end of the third segment we were ready to leave. Reasons:

o Same jokes by the captain each segment

o Same patter from the CD each segment

o Most of the entertainment was the same each segment

We have done a B2B twice. 2x7 for 14 days and agree when it's the same ship the repeats take some of the fun out of it.

The second b2b was also 2x7 but was two different lines, Princess and Norwegian. No repeats, each had their good and not so good things about them. In the end they were more similar than different with the best part being nothing repeated. If we do another b2b it will be on different lines.

In January and February 2013, we did two 10 day cruises B2B on the Emerald Princess, got off in FL, took a taxi to Miami and got the Carnival Glory for 5 B2B week cruises (3 western Carib alternating with 2 eastern Carib). Really enjoyed it. The previous 2 years we had been snow birds going to Hawaii for the winter. (Lived in Ky then.) We have done 28 day cruises on the Emerald and Ruby coming from Europe and enjoyed them also. All of the cruises were in inside cabins.

We spent Nov on the Royal and after 30 days we couldn't wait to get back to reality. It got to be the same thing over and over each day with absolutely nothing to look forward to except eating which towards the end was almost minimal. By the time Thanksgiving arrived the sight of a turkey dinner just wasn't the same as at home.

The jokes the CD told were the same, the Capt talks were the same, the comedians did change but the production shows didn't so we began skipping some of them. It's a good thing they had plenty of movies I hadn't seen before.

Even to much of a good thing can drive a person nuts sooner or later.

20 days seems to be our limit.

I did a B2B Canada New England and I agree, the second week was a complete repeat of the first week. I have friends who have sailed for 60+ days but go on different ships and different lines. It takes a lot of planning but they do it once a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can say we had adjusted to the lifestyle and were not that anxious to get back to reality. Now whether we could have lasted even 10 or so more days, I don't know but may want to try it. The great part of our 29 day sojourn was that it did not repeat itself on port calls and only minimally on production shows and food served. We are looking at a B2B for 24 days total this coming spring. If however we were to go on a B2B....2B that lasted 30 days going to the same ports, same food menu, same shows, etc, I would probably be ready to walk the plank just to get off the ship. :eek:

Obviously we love cruising otherwise why would we pay so much to do so?

My point being if there's really nothing different about being on a cruise ship rather than at home, why spend so many days cruising at a time? I certainly can sit at home & watch a movie by the pool or read or take a nap in the afternoon but if it becomes so repetitive that it's actually boring it's time for a break.

Again....too much of a good thing.

I can handle repeat menus. We were on a 10-day cruise with folks who had sailed the three previous cruises and were on the ship for our cruise and two more--60 days total on the same ship. I envied them. They recommended which items to order at lunch and dinner.

We've done 15 days to Hawaii and 17 days from SF to FLL through the canal. Neither was in any way too long. We're booked for 28 days on Emerald next year and will see how that goes. :D

We gained zero pounds on a 17 day cruise so I'm not really worried about that on the longer cruise. Food is not the primary reason we cruise.

I think the urban dictionary calls it "first world problems". Tired of filet and lobster, bored with visiting the same Caribbean ports, annoyed by the same old tired jokes and shows, bored by too much downtime by the pool.

Personal favorite from another thread is having your cruise ruined by the cheap toilet paper.

All good problems to have actually...:)

Hi, it's the OP here. The longest cruise I've taken was 12 days and I was NOT ready to get off the ship. We were cruising in Europe, however, and it would take a really long time to get sick of many of the ports there, I think.

When I started my series about living on cruise ships, I really was more focused on the economics of it rather than as a preferable lifestyle. I was sort of wondering if you could sell your house and live on ships with the money you save not making mortgage payments, taxes, insurance and maintenance. If you live in a million dollar house in Cali or the NE, perhaps costs would be similar. If you keep the house though, the economics just don't seem to work out.

That said, there are plenty of people who own houses and also spend an extended time on cruise ships and never get sick of it. We haven't heard from many of them. Perhaps they are cruising right now?

That said, there are plenty of people who own houses and also spend an extended time on cruise ships and never get sick of it. We haven't heard from many of them. Perhaps they are cruising right now?

What do you consider extended time? It certainly varies for each individual.

We cruise twice yearly & stay aboard for periods we consider enjoyably (20 to 30 days). We could go for longer but as I've said previously, it can get boring after visiting the same places again & again, seeing the same shows again and again.

As far as eating, it can be the best prepared food but after 30 days it begins to be a little much & meals begin to look more like I'm really cutting back on a diet.

Of course you can read or lay out at the pool but I can do that at home.

Try a longer cruise & see if it's agreeable with you.