Last day of wonderful cruise - tip question

taylortime05

We have had a wonderful 10 day cruise on the Eclipse. I will write more about trip when we get home. I'd like to leave extra tip for our waiters and room attendant. A total of 4 people. What's appropriate? I was thinking 10 to 20 per person. Thanks for your feedback.

We always tip extra for better service. This usually includes the waiter & his assistant, our room attendant, & any exceptional bartenders. I discreetly fold up the currency in my hand & shake their hand or provide them with an envelope with the money in it. We always prepay our gratuities. I budget for extra tips between $80-120 on a 10 day or longer voyage & pay them at the end of the trip.

John

Nice that you had a good cruise and want to tip extra. Many workers deserve more than the usual tip. Give them the extra tip out of sight of other workers. That way they might be able to keep the tip. If you tip them within sight of other workers, they must turn it over to tip pool. Be discreet.

Nice that you had a good cruise and want to tip extra. Many workers deserve more than the usual tip. Give them the extra tip out of sight of other workers. That way they might be able to keep the tip. If you tip them within sight of other workers, they must turn it over to tip pool. Be discreet.

I don't believe that this is correct unless you have removed your Auto Gratuity. Anything ABOVE that can be kept.

If you would like to use an envelope so you are not just handing cash over they are available at guest relations at no charge. Usually they have stacks on the counter the last day so you can just pick up however many you need without having to wait in line.

We had excellent service on our last cruise. In addition to the standard gratuities, we gave $20 cash extra to cabin attendant, waiter, somelier...and $10 to the assistant waiter and world class bartender. I don't know if they get to keep it personally, but I try to be discrete just in case.

We had excellent service on our last cruise. In addition to the standard gratuities, we gave $20 cash extra to cabin attendant, waiter, somelier...and $10 to the assistant waiter and world class bartender. I don't know if they get to keep it personally, but I try to be discrete just in case.

This is one area where we have consistently received the same answer to this question, at different times on different Celebrity ships from different officers as well as from the crew members themselves:

As long as you have paid the standard gratuities, anything additional that you give to any crew members is theirs to keep and does not get pooled.

Now we have heard that some bartenders (and possibly others) do pool all tips, but that is because they themselves have agreed to do so.

This is one area where we have consistently received the same answer to this question, at different times on different Celebrity ships from different officers as well as from the crew members themselves:

As long as you have paid the standard gratuities, anything additional that you give to any crew members is theirs to keep and does not get pooled.

Now we have heard that some bartenders (and possibly others) do pool all tips, but that is because they themselves have agreed to do so.

We have 130 cruises with Celebrity.

MANY of the wait staff have told us that in the MDR ALL tips are pooled.

Just FYI.....

Some venues should have shared tips. You have different waiters and assistants in blu, you have different folks getting you drinks in bars. But there are some that shouldn't be pooled....eg your cabin attendant . I figure ill tip the folks who made things special and its their choice what they do with my dollars.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We put additional tips onto our account since we had a lot of non refundable obc. Guest Relations told us that if we specified individuals in the dining area they would receive the tip.

We had the same server and assistant each night on the B2B and I think they did get it. Our butler thanked us for the extra tip and I got the impression he got to keep what we gave, and I assume the cabin attendant did also.

Just off the Summit and our MDR waiter and sommelier were fantastic, so we tipped them an extra $50 each (our waiter had the chef prepare a special dish for us one night). We tipped the assistant waiter and the room attendant $20 extra and I gave the dining room manager who assisted with the special dish $10, same for the server who brought me cocktails every night at dinner since I don't drink wine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have had a wonderful 10 day cruise on the Eclipse. I will write more about trip when we get home. I'd like to leave extra tip for our waiters and room attendant. A total of 4 people. What's appropriate? I was thinking 10 to 20 per person. Thanks for your feedback.

When we have had the same waiters like at fixed seating, we usually tip the headwaiter (if excellent service) $20 for a 14 day cruise. We usually give the assistant waiter $10 and room steward $20 if good and assistant Steward $10.