Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Thinking of you all and hope the storm will treat you gently. Headed to Alligator Point now.

Agree with Spins on safe travels for Emtbsam. Did not know where Alligator Point was located in Florida. BUT, was easy and able to Google and find it fairly quickly. Great, scenic location!! Looks lovely.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 186,578 views for this posting.

• Administrators

::::Stopping by the Silversea Water Cooler:::

I'll just leave this here for you all!

We're just so pleased to offer you the opportunity to "virtually meet" Mark Conroy, Managing Director of the Americas for Silversea Cruises! Mark will be here on September 18th but you'll be able to ask him anything about Silversea starting today!

We've opened a special Q&A forum for this purpose -- here's a link: Q&A with Mark Conroy of Silversea Cruises

On the Q&A forum you'll find a welcome thread, please take a moment to post a reply and say hello! As I mentioned, Mark will be here on September 18th, but know that he'll be reading all your questions and comments all along! (PS: don't be surprised if he pops in to answer a question or two beforehand!) He's very excited for his visit, can't wait to meet all of you! So, let's put our best Cruise Critic welcome mat out for Mark!

Thank you, and enjoy!

Edited by LauraS

How are Spins, Lois, etc., doing in Florida? Below is the latest map that has come out from the National Weather Service. It has been updated in the past hour. Clearly, both Orlando and Jacksonville are in the direct path after Hurricane Irma comes ashore near Miami. Keep us updated as to your progress and status in Florida.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 38,318 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

From the National Weather Service at 5 pm EDT, here is their latest projection as to where and how Hurricane Irma would hit Florida, etc.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-07%20at%205.24.27%20PM_zpskqashwle.png

I am fine.....it is not supposed to be in this area till Sunday.........but the track changed and hope it changes again.........

she is now looking at the center of the state.........I wish she would move EAST..........EAST

I am fine.....it is not supposed to be in this area till Sunday.........but the track changed and hope it changes again.........

she is now looking at the center of the state.........I wish she would move EAST..........EAST

Thinking of you and many more family, friends, and acquaintances in Florida and all the surrounding states. Stay safe.

For hours we have been hearing that our houses would be inhabitable for months after Irma sits on us. Finally the newscasters caught their error and are now saying "uninhabitable".

I liked it better when they were prognosticating we would

Be able to inhabit our homes.

So we watch as Irma swings and sways across our peninsula.

The cone really doesn't change.

Irma's most concentric eye and her target flirts with us in a most devastating dance.

We are stationary and she swirls.

An evil ballet.

Spins, you write like a poet. Thinking of you, and my family who also lives there. Besides my Dad, I have an uncle, aunt, and several cousins. And some colleagues from residency.

Dad was building his house when Wilma struck. Since it was incomplete, just concrete blocks on a pad, the walls got knocked down. This time, it should be ready! Hope all holds up as it should.

Well, she decided to move West a little bit:(.........putting Miami right in the center of the eye..........sending my best

thoughts and good wishes............and then you get the real bozos........seems there is a guy in the Keys who is going

to stay on his boat:eek:..........thinks he can "ride it out".....omg.......what he will end up doing is getting himself killed......

Greetings Coolers! Continued hopes that Irma will behave and not spin death and destruction as she "dances" north. Also thoughts for our Cooler friends and families in Mexico impacted by an 8.1 earthquake near Tapachula.

Morning breaks. Beautiful sunny day and the calm before the storm.

All around us are the sounds of hammering, drills and loud anxious voices from properties in the neighborhood.

Those who left putting up window protection until the very last minute.

We are watching the news. Winds of Irma have dropped a little. Models of path converged more. We are on the east coast and just north of ft lauderdale, on the less than pristine side of the storm, aka, the dirty side.

We have a cruise on the spirit coming up, flights out of Miami on September 20. I anticipate we will be without power for days. I don't know what we will do.

The entire peninsula of Florida will be hit.

My thoughts are with my fellow Floridians. Be safe.

My thoughts are with those who were in the Carribbean when Irma hit and who now expect Jose.

Thinking also of those who were rudely shaken and jostled in the night in Mexico and Guatemala. I hope there wasn't too much destruction, but it sounded awful.

Greetings Coolers! Continued hopes that Irma will behave and not spin death and destruction as she "dances" north. Also thoughts for our Cooler friends and families in Mexico impacted by an 8.1 earthquake near Tapachula.

Thanks for your thoughts for folks in Mexico. We are waiting for more news. So far the reports have not been devastating but so much of the area is difficult to get to, even in the best of times.

Thinking about all facing these terrible events in our Hemisphere...

Penny

Penny, so glad you are fine!! We have friends in Mexico, plus we care for all the beautiful people we still have not met in that country.

I also admire Spins and her steadfastedness (I tend to make up words). Our family in Tampa is scared, though their house is constructed to code and, except for some glass doors, it should hold. They paneled the doors.

Hoping and praying for the best!

Thanks for your thoughts for folks in Mexico. We are waiting for more news. So far the reports have not been devastating but so much of the area is difficult to get to, even in the best of times.

Penny

It never seems to end .....

Mexico Earthquake, Strongest in a Century, Kills Dozens

The New York Times

The quake, which struck off the Pacific Coast, set off tsunami warnings and scattered frightened residents into the streets as far as Mexico City. Read the full story

I just read on CNN stream that the Gov. of Texas stated that Texas will be helping Mexico in the aftermath of the earthquake; Texas so appreciated Mexico's generosity following Harvey. Isn't it wonderful to see the way people and our governments can come together in a time of adversity?

Penny, so glad you are fine!! We have friends in Mexico, plus we care for all the beautiful people we still have not met in that country.

I also admire Spins and her steadfastedness (I tend to make up words). Our family in Tampa is scared, though their house is constructed to code and, except for some glass doors, it should hold. They paneled the doors.

Hoping and praying for the best!

Thanks, Cam. Wonderful that PR was somewhat spared. You must be relieved.

I just read on CNN stream that the Gov. of Texas stated that Texas will be helping Mexico in the aftermath of the earthquake; Texas so appreciated Mexico's generosity following Harvey. Isn't it wonderful to see the way people and our governments can come together in a time of adversity?

People are people. It's only when we tribalise that the problems arise. Much kudos to all those North and South of the Rio Grande for showing true human spirit.

Morning breaks. Beautiful sunny day and the calm before the storm. All around us are the sounds of hammering, drills and loud anxious voices from properties in the neighborhood. We are watching the news. Winds of Irma have dropped a little. Models of path converged more. We are on the east coast and just north of ft lauderdale, on the less than pristine side of the storm, aka, the dirty side. We have a cruise on the spirit coming up, flights out of Miami on September 20. I anticipate we will be without power for days. The entire peninsula of Florida will be hit. My thoughts are with my fellow Floridians. Be safe. Thinking also of those who were rudely shaken and jostled in the night in Mexico and Guatemala. I hope there wasn't too much destruction, but it sounded awful.

Appreciate these details and updates from Spins and Lois. Am watching all of these developments. Lots of discussion on TV news about Hurricane Andrew in 1992. That was the last "biggie" to hit Florida so hard. CNN is noting now that "Hurricane Irma is now hammering parts of the Bahamas and Cuba as a Category 4 hurricane." AND, we have been following the sad news from Mexico with the major earthquake there. Plus, two more hurricanes off in the potential, futures stages to results in more danger.

Keep us posted on the various developments. It seems that the Florida officials are working hard to stay on top of these challenges, including getting more gasoline supplies, working on the traffic flow on the Interstate highways, etc. Glad to know that Spins has an upcoming cruise for later this month. We'll all keep watching, hoping and praying.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,838 views for these postings.

This is the updated map two hours ago from the National Weather Service.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-08%20at%201.03.11%20PM_zpsrjenkofb.png

This is our first time with silversea and would like some advice. We leave on the silver wind Sept 30 from Barcelona. Anyone else on this cruise? What can you tell me about this ship

A warm welcome for your posting on Cruise Critic and with this upcoming sailing with Silversea. While we have not been on the Silver Wind, we have had four different cruises on her sister ship, the Silver Cloud.

It looks as if you have a wonderful ten-day cruise after departing from historic and charming Barcelona in doing: Palma de Mallorca, overnight in Ibiza, Porto Mahon, Alghero, Portoferraio, overnight for Livorno/Tuscany, Portofino and finishing in Monte Carlo. Great and interesting ports and areas of the Med. A roll call is best to connect with others on this specific cruise, but, to be honest, SS roll calls only gain limited responses here on these CC boards. In checking, no one has started a roll call for your specific late September cruise.

Tell us what specific questions you have about Silversea, the food, entertainment, staff, etc. Lots of helpful people here who can answer any specific info needs. Also share more on what types/lines for any previous cruises that you have done and if you have visited Barcelona earlier. Great city!!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 227,212 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474