Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

I will put my rabbits foot under my pillow.

:-)

Hi Spins,

I hope it wards off TS Emily which has spun up really fast - or maybe she'll pass north of you? Hope so.

Looks like she's going to go between you and me and then fizzle - that I definitely hope for, it's 30 years come September since we were whacked by Hurricane Emily, she did us a lot of damage.

Fingers Crossed.

J...So sorry! I stand corrected! Or rather sit corrected. I was attempting to determine the "legality" of the stupid box in Canada and my search brought up numerous articles about the pre-loaded boxes being banned from sale. I'm still confused about the "legailty" of streaming (and not downloading) here. A number of websites which did offer free streaming (some of which were not legal streaming) have stopped operation. Obviously I need to do more research! Thanks so much for the info!

Morning Jolly,

Yes up early this am looking at radar which shows wind direction in addition to clouds and other stuff. In looking at Tampa area I remarked to Larry that there was circulation in the air currents and rain bands approaching...then I saw the report of a tropical depression and now Emily.

All within the space of an hour! How can one prepare for such an event? Fortunately winds aren't that strong and no opportunity for Emily to intensify.

I think the brunt of the storm will not be felt here in South Florida. I hope all that will be felt is only a rain event. I hope it avoids Bermuda too. Take at look at steering currents.

Fingers crossed!

In the UK M, there is a concerted campaign, particularly obviously from the Murdoch press (owners of Sky) to try and induce fear in users ie that they will be prosecuted or have their broadband withdrawn. None of this has yet happened to a single individual. Pubs get prosecuted for illegaly streaming Sky without the right Sky fees but that's all.

I'm OK with it for various reasons and will only think again, and I say "think" about it if it does become a matter of criminal law. But to be honest very few of us observe every law all of the time ..... and in this case it isn't a victimless crime but I don't have an awful lot of admiration or sympathy for Mr Murdochand any losses he has, because if I didn't have the box I still wouldn't subscribe ... so no losses there......

Spins and JJ...hope Emily turns out to be docile!

J.... it seems that your description of the current situation regarding "legality" may be true here as well. However, the situation also seems a little muddy. Here are two links to articles on the subject.

This one talks about Canada being home to some of the toughest anti-piracy rules in the world:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/rob-commentary/canada-is-now-home-to-some-of-the-toughest-anti-piracy-rules-worldwide/article34223771/

And this one talks about the legality here of simply streaming:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/android-box-streaming-1.3455524

I think Myster wants the Roku box and we can then entertain the notion of what to stream. Thanks for all the info!

Cam

Hope your relatives weather the tempesta OK.

I see that Clearwater area in for some wind and rain.

It's dreary and dark with torrential downpours, a soothing sound on a new roof. And for us a much needed rainfall.

Mother Nature gives us water!

We are grateful for that.

Hi M,

It isn't a grey area, because it "isn't illegal" until a law is made to make it illegal. Like us streaming doesn't download and store. They are trying to make it muddy to dissuade people through uninformed fear. It might however be illegal to make cash from selling boxes with it preloaded, I simply haven't bothered finding out because I have loaded it myself from boxes bought from Amazon. Amazon don't like the free boxes because they have Prime!

Today wifey needed a special treat. I bough this gorgeous chuck and made some chestnut pork sage and onion stuffing and some broccoli for her .... with some Noily gravy

acab31cbae2d051d48527a9706b5ce57.jpg

a7454039bac74373682e720f3dafda5c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks, Mysty, for a very informative article. Around a month ago I saw a powerful documentary on Televisión Española regarding the plight of the residents of Barcelona to limit tourism to the City. The mayor, elected official, is supporting them and is targeting the massive cruise ships as the worst culprits. Not only do they descend thousands of tourists (one ship has capacity for 8,000) the same day (budget conscious tourists that spend only in cheap souvenirs), but also pollute the environment with their fuel and fumes. The port authority manager is studying the feasibility of negating entrance unless they begin changing to gas. Since the retrofitting would be expensive, he thinks those ships will decide to berth elsewhere. I wonder if the Venice authorities will follow a similar plan.

Interesting article in The Economist 1843 magazine this month on the struggles that Venice is having with the growing tourist population.

https://www.1843magazine.com/features/not-drowning-but-suffocating

I have a friend who has just returned from Venice and Florence. She said that this time, the trip was horrible. In both places, during the day, one simply could not move. The lines for everything were tremendous. Shopkeepers and waiters were rude and impatient. Garbage was waiting for pickup on the canals throughout the day and at night, the noise from the boats coming to collect the refuse was horrible. Even with pre-purchased tickets for museums, the wait time was onerous. How sad.

Solo mi!...That is so sad! Your friend must have been very disappointed! It is frustrating when you plan and look forward to a wonderful adventure and in the end you don't get to enjoy it. I'm not sure how this will be resolved because I don't think people will lose their appetite for travel (although flying anywhere is no great fun these days).

We who live in Europe are particularely fortunate because apart from the few times during the summer we've visited on cruises, all my trips have been winter, and Venice is really magical in the winter and particularly whne it rains or snows. When I worked for the corporation I had to spend some time out there organising conferences and stuff and later we had a couple of clients in the film industry and obviously friends in the music industry which gave us some good excuses to go for the festivals and keep our fingers crossed for them.

Venice is a magical place out of season and is a nightmare during it.

We who live in Europe are particularely fortunate because apart from the few times during the summer we've visited on cruises, all my trips have been winter, and Venice is really magical in the winter and particularly whne it rains or snows. When I worked for the corporation I had to spend some time out there organising conferences and stuff and later we had a couple of clients in the film industry and obviously friends in the music industry which gave us some good excuses to go for the festivals and keep our fingers crossed for them.

Venice is a magical place out of season and is a nightmare during it.

It is unfortunate when it is necessary to travel in summer months, Another perk of being retired because we can travel at other times. I especially like travelling in November. Barcelona was wonderful at that time last year.

It is unfortunate when it is necessary to travel in summer months, Another perk of being retired because we can travel at other times. I especially like travelling in November. Barcelona was wonderful at that time last year.

Pretty much all of Europe is so much nicer in winter or early spring or late autumn. We use to love our trips to Paris at Christmas when there are stalls as Pigalle, and in Spring when you get first of the summer rays at Tuileries gardens using two seats as a bed! Nothing better than a glass of red and a baguette from one of the park cafes. There are some lovely small wooden cafes in jardin du luxembourg where the grumpy waiters still dress like parisian waiters should and if you ask in french for a bowl of onion soup with a large slug of red wine for breakfast and some pain to mop up with and with a pastis to keep it company they will actually smile. Amsterdam is also lovely in Spring and is easly doable for a day trip from London. We once took all the family for a rijstafel and a tour in a mini bus to buy some cheese. There use to be auctions for business class seats on BMI for Saturdays and Sundays and sometimes our winning bid for eight seats would be around £50 each return.

Vienna where we're going in December for our wurst and punch safari is lovely in spring but just too hot md-summer. The christmas markets in December is a great time to go. And we have 5 nights there to really dawdle.

Interesting article in The Economist 1843 magazine this month on the struggles that Venice is having with the growing tourist population.

https://www.1843magazine.com/features/not-drowning-but-suffocating

YES, appreciate this very interesting article on Venice and its current challenges. Agree with Jeff and others about how visiting places such as Venice and Vienna in the "off-season" can be very beneficial and enjoyable. Being there when the "real people" are there has many pluses. That what I did in December 1970 when spending nearly a month touring many of these key locations.

Know that July and August can be the very most crowded time periods, but fortunately during our June trip to Portugal, NW Spain, Bordeaux and Brittany, the crowds were not anything too bad or difficult.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Venice: Loving It & Why??!! Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 69,361 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Aw well .... I guess a week in the job is a long time in Trump Towers ....

Is there a new revolving door there? First new Communications Director pushes out the Chief of Staff. Then the new Chief of Staff gets rid of the new Communications Director. Is a line-up forming at the door? How are they managing to get anything done?