Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

;)I note that this is post # 3,001 for this version of the cooler. Anyone want to bet when we start a new one.

I think it is 5K when a new one is started because it starts to impact performance .......

Hi, everyone!

When a thread exceeds 5000 posts, it can affect board performance, so we close that thread and open a new one to continue the discussion. This thread has reached that point so it is now closed.

The continuation thread is found at this link --

Jeff,You don't like broccoli?

We have a perfect marriage. On fresh broccoli she hates the stalks and likes the florets, whereas I hate the florets but love the stalks which to me tastes like a perfect asparagus. I tend to eat them raw. Same with cauliflower.

I agree with John Kelly becoming the Chief of Staff. I agree with Scaramuchi departing. I agree with all White House staff reporting to the CoS. Does anyone disagree with that?:confused:

Is there a new revolving door there? First new Communications Director pushes out the Chief of Staff. Then the new Chief of Staff gets rid of the new Communications Director. Is a line-up forming at the door? How are they managing to get anything done?

Mysty, IF...BIG IF........General Kelly is allowed to do his job? It may work out........but, in my opinion, nobody, even

a 4 Star General will not be able to change the person who is in the oval office:eek:.........and I don't think they are getting

anything done:rolleyes:

Lois....with my optimistic hope......perhaps miracles will happen! :)

I don't believe that will happen..........after being a certain way for 71 years and thinking you are bigger than the office

itself? :eek:...........I have no optimism about this.......

Lois, I have been a "certain way" for 74+ Years. I would never presume to know what Trump or anyone else is thinking. I am an Optimist and was previously President of the local club as well as Optimist of the year.:D I would get upset with Trump if he continues to deride Jeff Sessions and pursue replacing him.

All in all, I think this was a pretty positive day.:)

Lois, I have been a "certain way" for 74+ Years. I would never presume to know what Trump or anyone else is thinking. I am an Optimist and was previously President of the local club as well as Optimist of the year.:D I would get upset with Trump if he continues to deride Jeff Sessions and pursue replacing him.

All in all, I think this was a pretty positive day.:)

I am not presuming to know what he is thinking, but we all have our opinions........I agree Kelly is a good hire and

that Scarrmhoochi being out is good but I still think it is all a big mess full of chaos (Just my opinion).......

Oh, I bet your presidential status probably had more respect for whatever it was you running that who is the in Whitehouse now.

Because of the time difference, by the time I wake up and read the cooler, I'm always 3 pages behind. I'm not clever enough to highlight passages of posts so I will just have to refer to previous posts.

Jeff, thank you for making me feel welcome. I find your comments about Mr Murdoch interesting. He is an Adelaide boy who inherited the family business- The News - and became drunk with power. Eventually he relinquished his Australian citizenship and became an American citizen. However, he still holds a lot of power here and through his papers, TV (Fox) and radio, he virtually controls our government. When he returns to Adelaide, the powers that be hang off every word he says - can never work out why!

Mysty, we loved our time in Venice. It was crowded and hot but the water didn't smell (and improvement from the last time we were there) but I have to say, it was lovely to hop onto the hotel boat and escape to the Cipriani (and advantage of staying there). We are early risers and traveling with 2 children (7 and 4) we made sure we were the first in line for any of the tourist destinations. We did the gondola ride after dinner (we were first in the restaurant too) which was perfect as the sun had gone down. We went to restaurants which were recommended by the hotel (please don't ask which ones because I have no idea and would never be able to find them again) and they were wonderful. I think local knowledge is essential in Venice. We have sailed in and out of Venice many times, in fact we will be sailing out again next May, and it is truly spectacular. I'm feeling a bit guilty about it as I'm now in favour of stopping the huge ships coming in - sorry to all those who haven't done it.

Boy, sorry about the long post - tell me I'm welcome and you can't stop me -

Joc123...you are indeed most welcome! We have been lucky enough to visit Venice twice. The first visit I absolutely hated! It was in June of 2005 and it was very ugly! The second visit was in April of 2016 and I loved it! We did a walking tour around the inner bits of Venice. Fewer crowds and beautiful architecture. I'm glad we went back! So glad that your visit worked out so well for you. I posted the article because I found it interesting and it presented the challenges faced by popular tourist destinations in this day and age. I hope they can come up with a solution which preserves the beauty and wonder of Venice!

Boy, sorry about the long post - tell me I'm welcome and you can't stop me - ��

Great that you are feeling "welcome" and posting here. Nothing wrong with "long" when you have something of interest to say and discuss. As I might have mentioned earlier, we super loved Kangaroo Island and Adelaide from when we were there in early 2014. Great and scenic areas!! Love Australia!! And New Zealand!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 184,322 views for this posting.

Jeff, thank you for making me feel welcome. I find your comments about Mr Murdoch interesting. He is an Adelaide boy who inherited the family business- The News - and became drunk with power. Eventually he relinquished his Australian citizenship and became an American citizen. However, he still holds a lot of power here and through his papers, TV (Fox) and radio, he virtually controls our government. When he returns to Adelaide, the powers that be hang off every word he says - can never work out why!

Hi Joc,

Sadly there has been a convergence of Murdoch related issues over the last few years for which his reputation in the UK has gone from what was fairly low to much further South ...

His njewspapers were at the center of the hacking issue including the hacking of Millie Dowler's phone and his support for Rebekah Brooks who was seen to be at the center of the scandal didn't sit well here.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2011/jul/15/rupert-murdoch-apology-milly-dowler

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34131605

.... there is also what is felt to be interference with the democratic process here where his campaigns and support of PM candidates has been felt to be too great and influence amd in particular his support and friendship, before Blair's alleged affair with his wife ...... blair of course not having enjoyed great popularity in the UK ......

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/feb/14/tony-blair-rupert-murdoch-deconstruction-friendship-wendi-deng

Hi All.......

Welcome Joc 😀

Hope Jolly and Spins have managed to dodge the storm.

Used to visit Clearwater many years ago before they started more building and on one Christmas trip we had snow there and almost got grounded at Tampa airport!

It's been a busy and a tad stressful couple of days....kids arrived at their Mallorca villa in 36 degree heat with no aircon....which brought on an asthma attack for SIL...and deprived them of sleep.....panic set in with an 8am Sunday phone call from DD in tears.....and when she cries so does Mum who was all ready to fly out to them....silly me! Thankfully my brilliant travel agent friends and l worked together on Sunday and managed to get them into a very nice four star hotel as of yesterday.....absolutely our own fault as we didn't double check the villa details automatically assuming aircon was in....never too old to learn eh!

They are now thankfully settled and enjoying their sea view suite with aircon and Mum has come back down to normal BP level 🙃

Took my old friend out for lunch today as her offspring fly orf to the Canary Islands today which places her in a bit of a tizzy......we had a good giggle together talking about how we never stop worrying about our kids over a jolly good plate of fish and chips.

Torrential rain and storms here earlier.......think l need a cruise......seven weeks tomorrow....yay! ☺️

Gosh Soapy, you have been going through it. Good to see it all sorted!

I was thinking of Fletch's post of some time ago today on reading of the sad passing of that iconic Jeanne Moreau. I hope Fletch is still around and reads this .... and shares more .......

Jeanne Moreau

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/obituary-jeanne-moreau-35mvkm6tx?shareToken=609a34142ec31273258d1edd3f89c274

I reprint the earlier post .......

I once got asked to leave the bar at Claridge's Hotel in London. Not because I was dressed improperly but because the lady I was with - the actress Jeanne Moreau - was wearing a trouser suit. I also remember visiting the actor Dirk Bogarde in his usual suite at the Connaught Hotel. He was wearing an open-necked shirt and jeans. After a while he went into his bedroom to change into a suit and tie, explaining that the Connaught gave him a complimentary room on the condition that he was seen in the lobby and the lounge each day. He had to dress accordingly.

How things have changed. You can dine at both hotels these days and not bother with a tie. You can even wear jeans. I'm sure there are some people who seriously resent the lapse into smart casual almost everywhere. I remember once rather resenting a family of Americans dining at a two-star Michelin hotel restaurant in London and they were wearing T-shorts and drinking Coke. I resented it but endured it.

I think that there are only two establishments in the entire UK that continues to insist on a jacket-and-tie for men - the Ritz Restaurant in London and Inverlochy Castle in Scotland. I wonder what the policy is nowadays at the dressiest place I have ever been to - the Cloister, Sea Island, Georgia - where teenage boys wore tuxedos for dinner.

And then there are cruise ships . . .

Miss S....what a way to be woken on a Sunday morning! I think my BP would have taken a hike as well. Glad that the situation has improved and your BP has gone back to normal. Our eldest is flying to Washington DC today for a 4 day conference. Not exactly like going into wild uncharted territory but not exactly easy on her mother's anxiety levels.

Jeanne Moreau sounds like she was a very interesting woman...ahead of her time in many ways. I can only imagine the wonderful conversations she would have had with the likes of Jean Cocteau, Jean Genet and Marguerite Duras. Oh to have been a fly on the wall!

M....l wonder if they worry about us when we travel!!

Jeffers....interesting article...l often look back at these beautiful women in their day and then see them now and wonder how they feel with the aging process....some of course still look fabulous...Sophia Loren being one that springs to mind.

The 'luxury' five star London hotels have had to adapt over the years too.......folk don't dress up now and don't seem to care...neither do the hotels as long as they're coughing up the ackers!

😊

Hello from rain soaked south Florida.

We survived the downpours although the middle of the peninsula didn't fare as well.

Jolly is in Bermuda, fingers crossed that Emily doesn't regain strength.

Sophia I am counting the days...

Glad the kidlets are ok...and to think I went to a university in the south with no A/C in my dorm for two years. Every day was a bad hair day. Those were the pioneer days. ;-)