Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

TTS, I continue to much admire your realistic and stoic attitude to all this.

For what it's worth in the UK there is the consumer law and there is the way that the courts interpret them. In very simple terms the cancellation period that SS and you have must be exactly the same. So if they can cancel say six months out without penalty then they cannot ask you to pay a penalty except a small administative charge to cover their actual costs. That isn't a lost opportunity cost - it is just a small charge. That is the current view of how courts have treated onerous holiday cancellation charges. So to the letter of the law I believe that SS has met the requirement if they simply offer full reimbursement and consider consequential claims for wasted expense ie non-cancellable travel but it is a grey area.

A bit like you, all of my normal travel is self booked and all can be cancelled at no cost up until the day before.

From a purely legal point of view I believe that SS is in the clear and that given the complexity of their cruise pricing all they could have viably done is offer a blanket discount on future cruises by way of saying sorry. Giving every customer different and unique offers would have only generated more problems for them. It isn't fair but as you say one get's old and experienced enough to know that life isn't always fair.

TTS,

My mom always said, " fair is what you pay to get on the bus". I learned from a young age that life isn't fair.

However, when you pays your money for goods or services you are entering into a contract, IMO.

A question I would ask of Silversea management is just when did Silversea plan this redo of the Spirit at the expense of some of their most loyal pax. Was there a last minute cancellation for a ship refit that came up?

Just wondering.

Yes...I always worry about my independently-arranged airfare and hotels. I usually book refundable hotel stays which can be cancelled, but policies are definitely getting more strict.

The only time I've had a cruise cancelled was in 2013, during the flood of the millennium on the Danube. We found out 3d before we were supposed to leave. We kept our plane tickets and went anyway; just changed the river cruise to an independent trip.

There are many other places where we'd feel comfortable doing that, but some where we wouldn't. Hopefully we won't have to figure that out, but we're prepared (usually), should we have to.

The more troublesome aspect, for us, is the time off from work. It has to be carefully coordinated, arranged, and locked in, many months in advance. Can't change that on short notice. Thus, if a cruise were to be cancelled, we'd almost certainly go on vacation...same place, or somewhere else.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Very nice but we must add: and we sail "cruise" Silversea

As it happens ..... I'd qualify as a while ago I booked our next one (and first for a while) for 2018 .... and I'll tell you about it after it is done ...... presuming it isn't cancelled. :D I think it might be free laundry on that one .... so I best get really dirty.

Lots more "COOL" and interesting postings at the Cooler. Below are a couple of dinner pictures from last night. Not fixed at home, but from the dining place, Wolf's Ridge Brewing in downtown Columbus. My wife's brother and his spouse from Kansas arrived yesterday and are visiting here in Ohio.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 184,796 views for this posting.

Here is my wife's tomahawk pork chop that was grilled with sour cherry gastrique, peach chutney, fingerling potato and sautéed squash.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

July%202017A%201631_zpszw2i2xlb.jpg

This is my Paella with saffron risotto, peppers, onions, chorzio, mussels, shrimp, scallops. It was excellent!!.:

July%202017A%201632_zpspsstcros.jpg

J..I have to say that even with the odd bit, the "fun" this morning has been the most laughter I have enjoyed in a long time. Thanks for that!

Well this is good M. Laugh and the whole world laughs with you.

I was reading some lovely thoughts of a fellow stoic this morning whe emailed me. Someone who should be a cooler. She wrote something along the lines of "Just remember when you are dealing with someone of average intelligence .... recognise that half the world is even dumber".

We should discuss that terribly sobering study ... the Dunning Kruger effect. ;)

I must admit that we always book when the new itineraries are released, often nearly 2 years ahead of sailing, and tend to book flights as they are released - ie 12 or 11 months in advance of the date. For example, we are flying Qatar in Jan to Cape Town. Had this been one of the cancelled voyages we would have 2 return flights to either use or lose along with the bookings we have made for Heathrow parking and in Cape Town pre-cruise. Of those expenses the only cancellable one isthe Cape town hotel. So ican imagine that, had we had our cruise cancelled, we would do more than just tut and blame qismat.

I suppose you could say that making individual arrangements well in advance is taking a risk. I don't agree - if I've booked and paid for a service I expect that service. If SS (or anyone else) enter into a contract to provide a service it's not really playing the game to change that contract unless the contractee is fully reimbursed for expenses incurred on the strength of the original undertaking. I know that they are not legally responsible for consequential loss; in my mind they should be.

Having said all that it's a money making machine and not a charity and we are alll old enough to know that the world ain't a fair place. I take these events as a warning that, under the smiles, bonhomie and aspirational promotional material, we are just pawns in the money making machine. Caveat Emptor?[/quote

Have you seen the Update on the Wind new thread that was posted this morning? It is so at odds with Col. Wes's posts on that same trip.]

Edited by Solo mi!
posted incorrectly

Food looks delicious Terry!

Yes, Penny, it does not sound like they were on the same ship. Interesting difference of opinion there.

J...the Dunning-Kruger effect is very interesting. People can know what they know, know what they don't know, and not know what they don't know. I.e. They can recognize what they don't know but not be aware of what they do not know. For example, I know something about booking flights, I know that I don't know anything about how the airplanes work but I did not know that I did not know about how reservations for flights work with regard to the whole e-ticketing thing. I did learn about that relationship here in the Cooler. :)

M,

I think you'll discover that Dunning Kruger was more about IQ than breadth of knowledge ...... ;)

It is about the inverse relationship between IQ and reasoning limitations. Put simply. the more intelligent you are the more you realise your limitations and the overwhelming amount you do not understand or comprehend or cannot do or know about, whereas the dumber you are, the more you underestimate others and overestimate your own abilities generally.

Put badly, dumb people think they are more intelligent than they are whereas clever people think they are dumber than they are. Ish.

Yes J! I did pick that up. :) I get the relationship between IQ and recognition of personal limitations. I believe the theory has merit. It is easier to recognize personal limitations when you know what to look for. :)