Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

G'Day All.......have been over to the kids abode today to stock their post holiday fridge up with goodies....so into getting all the yummy stuf l completely forgot to buy them milk so had to go back.....so annoying are these senior moments!!

With regard to the Spirit debacle/debate......Jeff made a good statement and likewise l agree that TTS has the right attitude which l have also adopted as quite frankly there's no point getting stressed out about something now out of our control.

My Spirit cruise next April has been cancelled....it has been booked for a year along with return flights....booked by my TA and independent of SS.

My TA called me on Wednesday evening informing me of the cancellation and advised that she was dealing with SS on my behalf and has updated via email as and when she gained more information.....twice yesterday and again today.

To say she's on the ball is an understatement...she's brilliant with a capital B.....and then some.

So, my personal situation today is this....SS will refund the cost of the flights booked.

I have submitted four alternative voyages that interest me and have been assured that SS will match as close to the original fare as they possibly can....2 on the Spirit....1 on the Muse and 1 on the Whisper being up for consideration and l am quietly confident that l shall very soon be looking forward to a new voyage.

I am genuinely sorry for those who were not informed at the appropriate time and for those who seem to have been left in limbo.....it really is unacceptable and l wouldn't be happy in that situation either.

I'm pleased that we can discuss this on the cooler as I find it very uncomfortable and indeed stressful posting on the other thread with so many contradicting posts along with infantile digs at others who genuinely only wish to help and advise.......life is too short and like TTS also said....we are so lucky to be in a position to enjoy our travels....others are less fortunate in many many ways.

Les, you are always welcome to take a seat at the cooler bar...on this one we are all in the same boat so to speak....and as the saying goes...if you can't beat them...join em.....😊

TTS I incorrectly sent you a reply at the end of your last post, so you may not see it. Please have a look.

Thanks,

Penny

Found it!

I'm inclined always to ignore either very good or very bad reviews but there are some worrying points in the posting about the Wind that you referred to.

We are not, however, going to worry because, quite simply, we will find out in 90 odd days time and we are going to have a great time anyway.

Must remember to sign up to the meet and greet. (To greet in Scottish vernacular means to cry - no chance!)

Those are lovely plates Terry. Keep in mind, we can eat what is on those plates but we can't eat your dog or your grandchildren. Mind you ..... I haven't tried pickling either yet ... so ...... Nice piccies. :) ps. that scallop looks over cooked ......

Food looks delicious Terry!

Great, fun response from Jeff. Maybe that scallop looked a little over-cooked, but it was actually both wonderful and perfect for my taste-buds. Loved it as I mixed in some of that saffron risotto before this dining treat met my big mouth.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,233 views for these postings.

Terry. There is a fine line between putting a nice crusty sear on a scallop, and overcooking it. As long as it tasted good, it was probably the former.

Not much too fancy to eat here this week. We actually gave up and went out for dinner last night. Wednesday night I made a warm salad that involved minimal cooking, as it was too hot to do much more. Farro wheat with a lemon, EVOO, and feta cheese dressing. Bulked up into a light dinner by adding chunks of grilled Italian sausage, cucumbers, and tomato.

a9746908eb157467beccc12255e1c7cc.jpg

Tonight was raid the fridge night. I found some mushrooms, and cooked them along with cod fillets I had in the freezer. Added a touch of sherry and broth to finish. Served over roasted potatoes with some wilted arugula. Finished with some garlic slivers and more olive oil. Sounds complicated but took about 20 minutes to cook. And it went well with a California Viiogner.

576842c84f0574b752c696f0e342a6e4.jpg

Happy to say, no overnight trips to San Francisco this weekend! Relaxing at home is the plan. Our Pennsylvania friends are up tomorrow night and we'll join them for dinner, to celebrate their anniversary. Should be a nice relaxing weekend!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Hi Spins,

A few pages back you asked if Greenwich is a tender port - the answer is that at the moment it's nothing at all, it doesn't exist. However, when it opens next year at Enderby Wharf, Christchurch Way, Greenwich, it should be a full service, all bells and whistles, brand spanking new walk aboard dock. Only big enough for one ship at a time (basically a narrow walkway leading out to a narrowish pier stuck out in the river) but that's all we'll need.

http://www.londoncitycruiseport.co.uk

http://www.visitgreenwich.org.uk/business/london-city-cruise-port/

Morning All......happy day as the lovely silver box was delivered earlier which brings the next voyage closer...yay!

Kiddlywinks are now en route home having swept through Palma airport very rapidly despite Sky news reporting live from there earlier which did nothing for my stress levels...very lucky compared to the mainland airports.

Happy Weekend 😊

Good Morning Coolers!

JP .... you are really a talent in the kitchen. Making very good first-class plates out of what's around with no boundaries.

Soapy ... so pleased to hear the kids got through Palma OK. Normally Palma can be poor even when there are no problems so they have been lucky. Good to hear the prized silver box has arrived. Time to get the case off the top of the wardrobe or from under the bed.

I bet Lois is getting really excited and she really does derve a really great trip.

We had a really long walk this morning ..... I have been getting out of condition and this is normally the start of the moment when people succumb to a lack of fitness so fighting through it all to get back into shape. Wifey has reminded me that I have got to be in excellent shape for the wurst and punsch safari in December in Vienna. None of this sitting down every few inches.

A puzzler for all you clever and knowledgeable coolers. It's something that has been puzzling me. Why does sound carry on the wind? It has no physical presence or quality like a feather or a leaf or a snow flake. But wind certainly carries sound further in the direction of the wind and certainly reduces the distance sound carries when traveling towards the source of sound. That is the way it seems to me anyway, and the more I have thought about it the more puzzling it seems. I have read that sounds travels faster in the direction of wind, but why so?

Greetings Coolers!

JP..those meals look delicious! You are a culinary magician!

Miss S. So glad your kiddlywinks are on their way home. Our eldest was trapped in DC overnight after her flight was cancelled due to thunderstorms. She was devastated! She misses her young lads. Hopefully she will get home today.

J..I do not presume to be a physicist and I know that I know nothing about how sound travels. However, I do know how to "look things up". :) Here is what I found relating to your sound speed question:

" Refraction is the change in direction of a wave. Wind affects the propagation of sound by refracting its waves. Wind closer to the ground moves slower than wind at high altitudes because of all the obstacles on the surface, such as trees and hills. The difference in velocity creates a wind gradient, causing a sound signal traveling downwind to bend downwards, while sound traveling upwind will bend upwards relative to the sound source. Therefore, a person standing downwind of a sound source hears higher levels of sound, while a person standing on the opposite end will hear lower sound levels. The scale of this effect can increase over longer distances and higher wind velocities."

http://sciencing.com/effect-wind-sound-transmission-23531.html

Is this what you were curious about or did I misunderstand?

Have a great day all!

I should have added this bit from the same source as above:

"Sound travels in the form of waves of vibrating particles colliding with each other in the direction of transmission. That is why sound can travel through water, air and even solids, but it cannot propagate through a vacuum. Sound depends on the medium through which it travels, so any factors that influence the state of the medium can in turn affect the traveling of sound. Wind, among other factors, can impinge on sound transmission, by causing noise, attenuation (the reduction in strength of the transmitted sound signal), or a change in the direction of the sound path known as refraction."

Sorry Jeffers but l have no idea about the 'wind' you are referring to 😉 Good response from our learned friend M!

Sorry to hear of your DD's horrid delay M....mine have just this minute landed...right into a great thunderstorm...furry baby is under the coffee table having panic attacks....he hates them....hope we don't get any power cuts.....☺️

Thanks M ..... yes I googled. But the explanation made no sense to me because sound has no wheight.

I think the sound not traveling through a vacuum makes one ponder. But you can hear sound that comes through sealed double glazed windows if you put your ears to them, so I'm sort of not quite convinced. I also have the disadvantage that if I don't understand something I find it needn't be believed until one feels it is logical.

Yes , but it is the jostling particles in the air hitting your ear drums that makes the sound. No weight (air does not have much weight), but vibration. It may be the vibration of the particles hitting the outside glass which in turn passes the vibrations on through the connected glass to the inside of the window (not through the vacuum) to your ear drums. If you were centered suspended inside the vacuum of the double glazed window (in your miniature state of course) not touching the glass in front or behind you, there would be no sound. There would be nothing to jostle the particles in the air (or lack of air) where you were situated.

I am not a scientist and my understanding of the issue is limited by the lack of knowledge in that field. I do try to be logical and this is my "logical" explanation.

Edited by mysty

Sound is a wave. It travels through a medium, air in this case. It moves through the medium at a certain speed, without physically moving the medium along with it. That in and of itself is a very hard concept to wrap your head around.

If the medium is moving, the speed of (air) movement will be added to the speed of the wave propagation. So sound travels faster (and therefore further before dying out) when it's moving downwind.

It's analogous to (but not the same as) the Doppler effect, where a sound generated by a moving object changes its pitch (and to some degree, its perceived amplitude) depending on whether it's heading towards you, or away from you. The movement of the source, or of the medium, affects the sound wave as it's transmitted.

Sound cannot travel in a vacuum because there is no physical medium to transmit the compression wave. When you hear sound through a double glazed window, it is being transmitted through the solid structures of the window, not the vacuum between the panes. M is correct; if you were inside the vacuum of the window there would be no sound transmission there. Sound needs particles to jostle, in order to propagate.

Sound is a wave. It travels through a medium, air in this case. It moves through the medium at a certain speed, without physically moving the medium along with it. That in and of itself is a very hard concept to wrap your head around.

If the medium is moving, the speed of (air) movement will be added to the speed of the wave propagation. So sound travels faster (and therefore further before dying out) when it's moving downwind.

It's analogous to (but not the same as) the Doppler effect, where a sound generated by a moving object changes its pitch (and to some degree, its perceived amplitude) depending on whether it's heading towards you, or away from you. The movement of the source, or of the medium, affects the sound wave as it's transmitted.

Sound cannot travel in a vacuum because there is no physical medium to transmit the compression wave. When you hear sound through a double glazed window, it is being transmitted through the solid structures of the window, not the vacuum between the panes. M is correct; if you were inside the vacuum of the window there would be no sound transmission there. Sound needs particles to jostle, in order to propagate.

Thanks JP,

Do you "intuitively" believe that if you created a vacuum of one centimetre wide between (say) two panes of glass and were able to suspend a micro microphone in the middle of the vacuum that it would pick up no sound from outside the two glass surfaces? My instinct is that it would. But my instinct is that if the vacuum were a few feet wide it might not. But the theory doesn't seem to say that the width of the vacuum is material. It seems to says in absolute terms that a vacuum, any vacuum is a 100% sound buffer.

What do you and others think?