Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Congratulations to Mr. & Mrs. Spins!! Especially to Mr. Spins for securing a delightfully funny wife. I can just visualize him with the chocolate mousse bowl.

Congratulations to all married Coolers as well. Roberto is my second, and I am his first, and we've been married for 32 years. At times he introduces himself as my most enduring husband...

Many Congratulations Spins & Hubby.......we shall have a toast on board!

Late DH was my second time around....wonderful marriage which is why I'm quite happily settled into Merry Widowhood now with the lovely memories and living life to the full.....l do of course have a very special man in my life who has four paws and a furry coat!!

Another Scorpio here M....sting in the tail 😉

I do seem to be running around quite a lot right now....hoping that Fathers affairs are going to be settled next week which will be a great relief.

Happy Day ☺️

Penny, it seems to me your late DH was stationed in Mexico and you have remained there. We used to visit the DF area at least once a year, and we have very fond memories, especially of its people. We will be returning next May, but to Veracruz and Jalapa, for music recording sessions. I am very much looking forward to this trip.

Penny, it seems to me your late DH was stationed in Mexico and you have remained there. We used to visit the DF area at least once a year, and we have very fond memories, especially of its people. We will be returning next May, but to Veracruz and Jalapa, for music recording sessions. I am very much looking forward to this trip.

We actually moved here when he retired. We loved it! I have now been here 20 years and have no plans to leave. I grew up in So. Cal. and married a Canadian. After many years in the North, he promised me that when he retired, we'd move to warmer climes...so here I am! I have a son and his family in Canada, and another and his family in the States. My big get away each year is my Silversea cruise. I have just booked my 2019 one. You will love Jalapa and Veracruz! Amazing food!!

Speaking of food, Mexico's Dia de la Independencia is 16 September. Usually, Chiles en Nogado are served. The plate looks like the flag of Mexico. The dish is fabulous! Poblano chiles stuffed with a picadillo filling, in a ground walnut sauce, sprinkled with pomegranate seeds. Perhaps some of you have had it. It is a chore to make so I usually go to a restaurant that is known for it.

Thanks, Penny. I've written the date in my calendar with the caption Chiles en Nogado to make sure I find a decent Mexican restaurant in the area that would prepare them. We have several, but more inclined to American taste...not sure if they would prepare this complex but surely yummy dish.

Greetings Coolers!

Lovely Hasta La Pasta J! And oodles of cheese! :)

Miss S..we are kindred spirits of the Zodiac. No wonder we think in the same way. Although I do bow to your grace! :) Hope your Father's affairs get concluded soon! One less thing on your plate.

Speaking of plates....Penny and Cam's discussion of Chiles en Nogado sent me in search of "what fresh wonder is this?". Definitely an amazing dish! So much history! In case others are interested in learning more I found a link on How to Make a Proper Chiles en Nogado (also gives the history of the dish):

http://www.themijachronicles.com/2010/08/how-to-make-a-proper-chile-en-nogada/

Have a great day all!

We actually moved here when he retired. We loved it! I have now been here 20 years and have no plans to leave. I grew up in So. Cal. and married a Canadian. After many years in the North, he promised me that when he retired, we'd move to warmer climes...so here I am! I have a son and his family in Canada, and another and his family in the States. My big get away each year is my Silversea cruise. I have just booked my 2019 one. You will love Jalapa and Veracruz! Amazing food!!

And Cam, Jalapa has fabulous wild orchids.....

Penny

Oh, Mysty, that was a wonderful article with the illustrated recipe that you shared! Thanks a mil.

Penny, we were in Jalapa last January...possibly not the season for the orchids... Hope to see them in May!

Jeff, we bought spinach pasta and it didn't cook right... texture like carton. Boiled for 12 minutes...would it require longer cooking time, or is this how it will be?

My pleasure! There was a chef in Ottawa with a restaurant that unfortunately is no more. His name is Rene Rodriguez and he worked for many years in Mexico. The restaurant served Basque-inspired dishes. On one of our many visits to Navarra (the restaurant) we enjoyed a lamb shank black mole. It was amazing!

I agree, and that's why we've never tried it before. However, our current visitor brought it for us and wanted to try it. Well, it was so hard and chewy nobody could eat it. There's still left in the bag and Roberto says he'll give it one more try and extend the cooking time...I'll let you know how it comes out.

Thanks all for the good wishes.

I certainly will drink to good times and more years and wise advice and any other good thing...

Life is about making memories.

DH ate the middle of the 12 inch bowl of mousse and left the rest. It's ridiculously rich. He is planning on eating in increments.

I enjoyed reading about all of the great food and recipes. YUM.

Cam I tried chickpea pasta. It was nasty. But I have had spinach pasta and it was ok. It's not my favorite. I recall it was al dente, but not in a delectable way.

Today we had rain and more rain. No swimming with Eloise due to thunder and lightening, but the pool looked deliciously turquoise. And the frogs were happy the fountain filled up...it's also a watering hole for birds and feral cats.

Rain_zps7ckafmow.jpg

IMAG2279_zpsgbrwkslz.jpg

The thing is, that none of us can do anything about this. We have no influence or control. So we simply have to do the most sensible thing. We must bury our heads in the sand and drink a little more.

I have ventured down those ancient wooden steps into the Cooler cellars for a mooch around. Guess what. There is a few old forgotten bottles of old Rye, Irish Whiskey, Bajan Rum, some old Armagnac, Scotch and several bottles of Lithuanian Vodka for Soapy.

Why don't we crack open a few packs of pork scratchings and cashews and get p188ed.

:whiskey-glass::champagne-toast::bottle-pop::beer-toast::beer-mug::tropical-drink:

Spins...no amount of alcohol will change the situation. In fact nothing short of both leaders coming to their senses will change this! And admittedly that seems like an unlikely scenario. I am inclined under these conditions to agree with J!

Hi All,

A nice sunny day here .... and some great food for the next few days has arrived. Some ribeye and lamb for grilling some lovely ham for sandwiching and some Swedish slow smoked salmon for bageling. Isee the world was where we left it last night so all is well. :)

M, - don't know whether you went any further re Kodi. FWIW I have loaded Kodi and some apps onto a Fire Tablet. This basically offers all the function of a small screen Kodi travel "system" on a tablet I bought for less than £60. It should offer you access to all home TV and satellite channels on ship or in hotel whilst on travels. So for me for example, it will give access to BBC, ITV and all satellite channels without any geo restrictions. Because it's an 8" screen I suspect that even fairly poor broadband speed should give a reasonably decent stream.

I got this 32gb "on offer" a few weeks ago added a 128gb micro SD and it holds all my music collection, works with the Bose QC35's and works a real treat!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01J94T2AG/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Greetings Coolers!

WOW J! That sounds amazing! A travel theater! Excellent! Myster decided on a Roku. We got it earlier this week. We signed up for Netflix and we are figuring out where to go next. Myster burned through the IT Crowd thoroughly enjoying it! We tried a couple of the Black Mirror episodes and probably won't watch anymore of that one. Thanks for all your input on this streaming thing! :)

Have a great day all!