Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Bit of a shock this morning when UPS delivered our Silver Box for our Wind TA on 10 Nov - there's still 53 days until sailing. Not that I'm complaining, mind, it just seems a lot more in advance than usual.

Interesting. We're not expecting ours any time soon but we're just five days later with our 15 November Spirit cruise. Of course we're using an external TA so the box will, and maybe has, go to them and they'll have to forward to us.

Interesting. We're not expecting ours any time soon but we're just five days later with our 15 November Spirit cruise. Of course we're using an external TA so the box will, and maybe has, go to them and they'll have to forward to us.

This is the first cruise that we have booked directly with the SS office in London and I noticed that the package was despatched from Italy. Previously we have used an agent and the box usually arrived about 3 or 4 weeks before the cruise.

One interesting thing I noted in the travel journal is a page dedicated to those things that used to be available in the boutiques (toiletries, medicines etc) can now be bought either from reception or via the butler.

I noticed that the package was despatched from Italy.

Yes, for our June Silver Spirit sailing, the Silver Box and printed materials were shipped to us from Italy. Was kind of surprised. Don't often get any packages from Italy. SS must have a sophisticated printer operation there in order to prepared these items and ship the out worldwide.

From the London/UK Daily Mail today, they have this headline: Category 3 Maria takes aim at the Caribbean islands leveled by Irma with these story highlights: The National Hurricane Center in Miami says that Hurricane Maria has strengthened to a Category 3 storm and was 'rapidly' intensifying into a major hurricane. The eye is expected to move through the Leeward Islands later Monday. The storm's center was about 60 miles east of Martinique, with maximum sustained winds of 120 mph. The storm is on a path that would take it near many of the islands wrecked by Hurricane Irma and on toward Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and Haiti. Hurricane warnings were posted for Guadeloupe, Dominica, St. Kitts, Nevis, Montserrat and Martinique. A tropical storm warning was issued for Antigua and Barbuda, Saba, St. Eustatius and St. Lucia.”.

Below are a couple of their graphics to better show where this storm is headed, etc.

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4895266/Hurricane-Jose-pound-East-Coast-week.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

From the Daily Mail, here are the graphics/charts showing the Hurricane Maria path and direction.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-18%20at%2012.10.50%20PM_zpsscq8lopb.png

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-18%20at%2012.13.19%20PM_zpsetac5mq8.png

Bit of a shock this morning when UPS delivered our Silver Box for our Wind TA on 10 Nov - there's still 53 days until sailing. Not that I'm complaining, mind, it just seems a lot more in advance than usual.

TTS My Silver Box just arrived today, too! Does seem a bit early, but now the fun of planning in earnest begins!

See you on 10 Nov. Penny

TTS My Silver Box just arrived today, too! Does seem a bit early, but now the fun of planning in earnest begins!

See you on 10 Nov. Penny

We have a busy few weeks coming up and returned yesterday from trying to tire our dog out in Snowdonia National Park (where it rained. Every. Single. Day). Makes the time go by smartly enough!

Next job on the list is to book tickets to the Sagrada Familia. Although not a commited sightseer it has always been an ambition of mine to visit this quite unique edifice. At least it will keep us out of the Tapas bars for a few hours.

52 days to do...

Next job on the list is to book tickets to the Sagrada Familia. Although not a commited sightseer it has always been an ambition of mine to visit this quite unique edifice. At least it will keep us out of the Tapas bars for a few hours. 52 days to go...

Dear all, Thank you for thoughtful messages and for your concern. The last several days have felt more like weeks. Quite frankly, I am relieved that the storm passed. I feel deeply for those affected by Hurricane Irma. I am happy to report that our team is safe and our Miami office is up and running. On a positive note, it’s been incredible to see the South Florida community come together. I appreciate everyone's participation in the Q&A and will be responding to your messages throughout the day. For other questions, please bear with me as I work to get additional details from members of our team. Kind regards, Mark

Great, Tothesunset, that you are getting so close to starting your adventure in wonderful and charming Barcelona.

On another part of these CC Silversea Boards, the top official from SS is starting to post his responses and follow-ups from the various questions posted previously. Yes, it has been challenging with all of the pressures from Hurricane Irma, but now Marie is about to blow into even more Caribbean islands. That will make things worse on Silversea and its scheduling for these peak winter schedules.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 53,186 views for these postings.

TTS.....sorry about the snowdonia weather....hope you still managed to enjoy the beauty and furry baby enjoyed.......hard morning for me tomorrow as my little fella goes to his pooch nanny....😌

Looks like the silver boxes are arriving much earlier as I've had mine for some weeks now via my TA.

It's been a busy day packing but I'm there....done and dusted with just the last minute bits to go in before l leave for the airport on Wednesday at silly hour!

I have friends in Greece right now who tell me it's very hot so hopefully it will last for that part of the voyage!

😊

Watching Maria.

Cam, hope your family flees to mountains.

Just unbelievable.

Today thinking we are on upswing, we lost water.

Now restored but contaminated and we are under boil water for at least 72 hours.

Bring on the wine.

At least it's cool in our house.

I am boiling water to wash dishes.

:-).

Very pioneer. Gotta laugh.

We still have it better than many many people.

Spins,

Gotta say it - I know you personally didn't vote for the Orange Idiot supposedly running your country, but the rest of us out in the rest of the world are distressed, to put it mildly, about what he can do to us all.

Oh, for a very tiny cat 5 hurricane just over him.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

TTS,

You could always do both by simply confining your Sagrada Familia to an external "oooooh" and "aaaaah" and miss the tourist scrum queuing to get inside and adjourn for some tapas. It's pointless queuing and scrumming when you could be quaffing.

It isn't such a bad plan ........

No, it isn't a bad plan at all. In fact I would go as far as to say it is an excellent plan!

No, it isn't a bad plan at all. In fact I would go as far as to say it is an excellent plan!

There is a of course government warning with my plan. I simply feel that the building is pretty much all about the outside ie 75% outside 25% inside.

The outside was the big idea and design, the inside was formed as a consequence of the skin. The outside takes no pain at all - the inside even if you prebook can take queues, queues for lifts (unless you take the "less known" lift) and a bit of an obnoxious scrum inside. Some will say you have to see inside, and I simply disagree, but then some do not understand the magic of spending the time saved by looking down back streets for tapas bars with no tourists in them and using the cash and time saved for essential extra imbibing and nibbling at leisure and simply looking at some pictures and youtubes of the interior and feeling smug. You will obviously need an hour or so to look around the wonderful market as well.

Jeff

Not going on cruise now.

Just too much to attend to here and too much unease. Repairs needed.

Hi Spins,

Really sorry to hear that. A lot of skin and anticipation goes into booking and planning these things. I know you need no advice from others, but "unease" is a temporary condition that is in the mind and changes quite quickly. Perhaps a question to ask oneself is that whilst you understandably feel that way at this very moment, might you both regret not going with hindsight from the advantage of the more settled future? It might be worth the extra wrench and effort now perhaps and simply go? However generous insurers are( :rolleyes: ) if they consider it not covered it is a real financial loss and if ever you need the "tonic" of a cruise, is it not now? And you've already paid for it. An alternative view is that this could be the injection you really need and could not be better timed. What could go wrong? What is the worst downside? What can you do to avoid those downsides.

I am interfering too much, but I mean well. Best wishes and thoughts whatever you decide.

Jeff. Not going on cruise now. Just too much to attend to here and too much unease. Repairs needed.

Sorry to hear that you will need to skip your Med cruise. Also, not good news on needing to boil water, etc. Very sad and tragic news as to what Hurricane Maria is doing to key islands in the Caribbean. Now, a bad hit is upcoming on San Juan and its overall island. PR is a financial mess and this will make conditions there even worse.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 187,327 views for this posting.