Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

We have a busy few weeks coming up and returned yesterday from trying to tire our dog out in Snowdonia National Park (where it rained. Every. Single. Day). Makes the time go by smartly enough!

Next job on the list is to book tickets to the Sagrada Familia. Although not a commited sightseer it has always been an ambition of mine to visit this quite unique edifice. At least it will keep us out of the Tapas bars for a few hours.

52 days to do...

Forget Sagrada Familia - El Cortes Ingles is where I will be when in Barcelona!

Thank you for your thoughts, Camillus. We were not affected but I would imagine that folks in Mexico City were very frightened. They had done earthquake drills just this morning. We have not heard yet the extent of the damage there and in Puebla. Hoping for the best. Fortunately, building codes have improved dramatically since the devastating quake that killed so many people.

I have been thinking about you and your family in PR. It is hard to believe that another devastating hurricane is heading their way. I hope and pray that they do not get the brunt of the storm.

Penny

And to think, on the 30th anniversary of that devastating quake!

I live about 20 miles outside of Guadalajara. Anxiously awaiting news from Mexico DF.

Wonderful getting my Silver Box...looking forward to boarding Silver Wind November 10th...and having a respite from North America for a couple of weeks..........

So sorry to read that Spinnaker had to cancel their cruise.

Penny, thankfully all is well with you! I have a nephew who lives (and owns) a very old historical building in Old San Juan and is refusing, till now, to go to a shelter. We are frightened for him and 160 mph winds!! I have family in Mayaguez on the Western side of the Island and hopefully the storm will not strike as bad. It seems the northern coast is going to bear the brunt, and I have many friends in that area... Praying for the best!

Penny, great all is well with you. What plans do you have for Casablanca? Some street food in the Old Medina perhaps? Some bessara and crusty khobz followed by some lovely kebabs?

And then there's Agadir to look forward to. It doesn't take much for me to think of food. :)

Welcome to the Cooler Marama .... I think this is your first visit!

Thanks Jeff! Now you've got me thinking about the food.....Yum! No plans while in Agadir....perhaps, I'll just eat my way along. Will be on a tour in Casablanca as I don't think it is the place to strike out Solo Mi....

PS Just heard from a friend in Mexico City who lives in the historic district who said her building is badly damaged but the residents were not hurt...just frightened!

Thanks Jeff! Now you've got me thinking about the food.....Yum! No plans while in Agadir....perhaps, I'll just eat my way along. Will be on a tour in Casablanca as I don't think it is the place to strike out Solo Mi....

Yes Penny, I'd overlooked that. Female solos can invite a bit of uninvited attention there .. ... shame to miss those kebabs and flatbreads though. :)

All, we will be ok.

Thanks for the good thoughts.

I will take the tonic though and mix it with some gin.

No ice because water contaminated.

Perhaps I will make some ice from bottled water.

;-)

Ah, warm gin and tonic - takes me back to my youth in English pubs.

Sorry you can't make it to your cruise but I do sympathize - when disembarkation from the Whisper recently was coming near, Jose was potentially threatening Bermuda so I spent awhile looking for earlier flights home; didn't need them as it turned out but I felt I wanted to be at home if there were going to be problems. (Can't believe Jose is still causing problems)

I 'spect it's way too late but it would have been fun if you could have rolled over your SS booking to join me on the Muse Dec 6th - southern Caribbean so with a bit of luck those islands will still be there.

The poor, poor Leeward islands.

And Mexico.

And everywhere else suffering natural disasters, seems like there's almost too many to comprehend.

Edited by jollyjones

Penny, we did the TA on the Spirit last November that stopped in Casablanca and Agadir. We also decided to take a tour in Casablanca with the Hassan II Mosque as a highlight. The mosque was beautiful and amazing in many ways. It was built over water, but you would never be aware of it unless being told!! After a so -so ride through downtown and higher end residential developments we were taken to a shop in the downtown area. Just between us girls, they had very nice kaftans (in the upstairs, the downstairs ones were for non-discriminating tourists). You could stay downtown after the tour, but we opted to go back and enjoy the ship. In Agadir, as we were going to get the ship's shuttle to the downtown area, the people returning to the ship told us they had not enjoyed the area and, probably unfortunately, we were swayed against giving it a try. The weather was very warm that day and the pool beckoned me!!

In all truth Agadir isn't a place that is worthy of much of a detour. The souk can be a variable experience ... just remember that the maximum price is 25% ... as tourists are seen as a soft target!

Sad,news,from Mexico of "dozens" of casualties. Terrible.

And if that wasn't enough. Trump. Basically what will be taken as a threat of a pre-emptive nuclear strike on North Korea, with a bit of totally unnecessary childish and needless name calling thrown in. Does any sensible person needlessly provoke an unpredictable despot with total control over a lethal arsenal? This cannot end well.

Thank you Cam and Jeff. Hopefully, my tour in Casablanca will be similar to Cam's. We do go to Hassan II Mosque.

I may very well head for the pool onboard in Agadir, too.

I don't know what to say about Trump's speech at the UN. Seems to me that it was taunting and personally I don't believe that is the way to deal with North Korea. It speaks volumes to me that so many diplomatic appointments have yet to be made at the State Department. Diplomacy does not appear to mean much to the present administration.

Thank you, Mysty! And the wing nuts are saying this is God's doing and the world is coming to an end! There are so many terrible things going on at present. It is hard to remain upbeat, isn't it? Oh yes, and my son may be in the path of Jose which is becoming a Nor'easter, He is just outside of Boston.