Celebrity Choice Air Pros/Cons?

cavdad78

We used it for the first time for a cruise early next year. It was the same exact pricing but wanted everything included in the reservation so the costs would all be under one umbrella for the insurance. Not saving any money was expected as this is a domestic flight ... although I have read on these boards, many people save on airfare on international flights.

Well, to be perfectly honest, I won't use it again. This became a huge hassle when the airline decided to change our flights and we wouldn't be traveling as a group as originally planned. The airlines stated I had to talk to Choice Air and the Choice Air people said I had to speak with the airlines. After getting the run around for hours with many calls made, I did resolve it ... I hope I did, anyway. What a hassle and absolutely no savings for me.

We have used them a few times when they offered savings. You really need to price the fares with Choice Air and with the carrier so see if you are saving anything. On one trip we booked an American Airlines code share that was really a BA flight and found out after the fact that if we wanted to pick our seats before 24 hours before the flight there was an extra fee that would have added about $300 each to our fare. Because we booked in business class I was willing to gamble and wait to pick out seats. I would not have done that in coach because we would likely have been stuck in middle seats. The dumb part, when I booked on the Choice Air web site, they had me pick seats......I did not discover the problem until a few days later when I went to the AA and BA web sites to make sure we had the seats we had chosen. The other time we used Choice air was to go from SFO to MEL on Air New Zealand and the one worked out fine.

You should have joined the British Air "Executive Club" which allows you to pick those bus class seats for free.

I agree with checking with the airline directly for prices as well as using engines. Lately we have been able to use FF miles and will do so again to get to Sydney for an upcoming cruise. At least if we have to cancel we can re-bank the miles for a very nominal fee. But I realize not everyone is in that position.

We have used them a few times when they offered savings. You really need to price the fares with Choice Air and with the carrier so see if you are saving anything. On one trip we booked an American Airlines code share that was really a BA flight and found out after the fact that if we wanted to pick our seats before 24 hours before the flight there was an extra fee that would have added about $300 each to our fare. Because we booked in business class I was willing to gamble and wait to pick out seats. I would not have done that in coach because we would likely have been stuck in middle seats. The dumb part, when I booked on the Choice Air web site, they had me pick seats......I did not discover the problem until a few days later when I went to the AA and BA web sites to make sure we had the seats we had chosen. The other time we used Choice air was to go from SFO to MEL on Air New Zealand and the one worked out fine.

We also have that same issue this April with BA, so we are just waiting until 24 hours before to choose the business class seats; the others we could choose.

The airlines do make a difference with choosing your seats...also, one way fares seem to have the best discounts. Never book until checking all possible flights and getting a good feeling....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have sailed Celebrity several times, but never used their Choice Air program. What are the advantages or disadvantages?

I am using Choice Air for the 1st time this Spring for the ow Dublin-Atlanta. The big 'pro' is price. Comparing it with airline website prices, it was not even close. Even using miles, with the price the airlines were tacking on in addition to the miles, I was better off saving my miles and utilizing Choice Air.

We've used Choice Air a few times. Including our upcoming TA. One BIG bad mark against them. Our flight to Miami was changed to an earlier one. I'm thinking that it MIGHT be a good idea to let people know that their flights were changed. It was a good thing that I noticed my flight was gone when I was searching to see how crowded it was going to be. When I did I noticed that my flight was no longer valid. You would think that if you were booked on a flight and it was canceled and you were put on a earlier one SOMEONE would tell you.

• Like 1

You can signup on the airlines website for notifications. This will include travel time changes, travel delays, and several other things. Even a five minute change in takeoff or landing we get a text notifying us.

Thanks! I had no idea this was possible!!!!

Seldom have I found a cheaper fare than I could get on ChoiceAir. The only "con" to me is these fares are usually "cut rate " fares and thus often do not allow for upgrades to a better cabin category.

We've flown Delta a couple of times and had no problem upgrading to Premium Economy on Delta's web site once we got our confirmation. Never tried upgrading to Business or First Class though.

• Like 1

This became a huge hassle when the airline decided to change our flights and we wouldn't be traveling as a group as originally planned. The airlines stated I had to talk to Choice Air and the Choice Air people said I had to speak with the airlines. After getting the run around for hours with many calls made, I did resolve it ... I hope I did, anyway. What a hassle and absolutely no savings for me.

This is the main reason why I like to book my own flights. Recently had a schedule change that added an eight hour layover to our return flights but we weren't alerted until I went to check in. Got the same run around as you did, took hours on hold and back-and-forthing before we got everything sorted and it was stressful 24 hours prior to departure.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 1

I have used Choice Air on two flights to Europe for a TA sailing. They were great, no way I could have come close to that price. If using in the US, you might be able to beat their prices. Choice Air worked out great for us!

We are flying Norwegian Airlines coming back from our TA on Eclipse. With our without Choice Air the rates are really cheap. We have their 1st class for a fraction the cost of the big airlines. One drawback is limited flights & days. We would have flown to Boston but they fly there only 4 days a week. We fly to JFK instead... More money but it is a daily flight.

YouTube has some good vids showing their transatlantic 1st class (premium) section.

Edited by Ox Fan Cruiser

Booked Choice Air last year for our Mediterranean cruise.....

Tampa to Washington DC to Rome....

Flight delays caused us to miss our connecting flight....

Choice Air re-routed us to a later flight to DC......sent us to Munich......then on to Rome

Almost missed our ship, but a 90 mph taxi ride & we made the ship with minutes to spare

Next time....

We will fly in a day early, but.....

We will book again using Choice Air!

Booked Choice Air last year for our Mediterranean cruise.....

Tampa to Washington DC to Rome....

Flight delays caused us to miss our connecting flight....

Choice Air re-routed us to a later flight to DC......sent us to Munich......then on to Rome

Almost missed our ship, but a 90 mph taxi ride & we made the ship with minutes to spare

Next time....

We will fly in a day early, but.....

We will book again using Choice Air!

if you had missed the ship, using Choice Air, they would have gotten you to the next port to meet the ship.

Boots4U, I checked and I would have needed some status with BA to get my seats early and I wanted the miles on AA where they might be more useful. Since it was biz class choosing seats was not a big big deal, it was more of an annoyance because I was lead to believe that our seats were all set. Still, saved money so it was good and flight over was ontime and nice. We even got to sit together.

Warning: if you have a problem with your flight, Choice Air says it is the airline problem and airline says it is a travel agency problem, which the airline says choice air is a travel agency.

We had one way tickets from Amsterdam to Los Angeles. Due to airline mechanical problems, we missed our connecting flight in London to LAX. We had paid for premium economy when we booked with Choice Air, but with the missed flight we were placed in economy and totally rerouted with almost 24 hour travel time with layovers in New York.

Once we got home, I contacted Choice Air to get refund for price difference for economy / premium economy which should have been $1,000 refund for two. I spent two days going between Choice Air and British Airways - each saying that it was the other parties problem. I finally went to Celebrity Captain Club and they stepped in and refunded me the money. They are the best in resolving problems

I would use Choice Air again, but only if I had a direct flight. But I would do price comparison first.

No one has mentioned the $150.00 cancellation fee to cancel the booking. I think this is a significant con. I do book with them. I like their convenience, I'm still learning my way around Texas.

• Thanks 1

I am comparing prices between Choice Air and Air Canada directly right now for a Mediterranean cruise next Sept/Oct, with flights originating in Thunder Bay Canada and ending, and returning from Rome. The prices for business class are almost identical and about $800 per ticket less than flying from our airport in Duluth and $900 less than if we flew out of Minneapolis. For a 3 or 4 hour drive, those savings are significant for 2. However, did I read correctly that you can NOT select your seats when booking with Choice Air? I'm kind of confused. I'm assuming that I can select them immediately if booking with Air Canada directly.

I am comparing prices between Choice Air and Air Canada directly right now for a Mediterranean cruise next Sept/Oct, with flights originating in Thunder Bay Canada and ending, and returning from Rome. The prices for business class are almost identical and about $800 per ticket less than flying from our airport in Duluth and $900 less than if we flew out of Minneapolis. For a 3 or 4 hour drive, those savings are significant for 2. However, did I read correctly that you can NOT select your seats when booking with Choice Air? I'm kind of confused. I'm assuming that I can select them immediately if booking with Air Canada directly.

Cannot speak for Choice Air/Air Canada but our Choice Air/Delta flights (business class) had seats assigned at booking. I actually went on the Delta site once I had the booking number and changed our seats. We saved a lot of money 💰. Flying out of our local (Harrisburg) airport and 2nd only booking 1 way.

Carol