Coffeemakers in cabins

Sue1260

Just wanted to have a nice cup of coffee in morning on balcony without having to dress to leave room. Can't understand why they would confiscate it was going to carry it on board. Ugh stupid rules so frustrating

Just wanted to have a nice cup of coffee in morning on balcony without having to dress to leave room. Can't understand why they would confiscate it was going to carry it on board. Ugh stupid rules so frustrating

Anything electrical is confiscated because of possible fire hazard. True for all cruise lines not just NCL. At least NCL provides their coffee makers for balcony and higher categories. Most other cruise lines don't provide coffee makers in any cabins.

If you don't like the coffee maker provided in your balcony cabin all cabins can order coffee from room service, no delivery charge. If you don't want to phone and wait awhile for it, then the night before put out the breakfast order card stating the time (half hour block) you want it delivered.

Edited by NMLady

Anything electrical is confiscated because of possible fire hazard. True for all cruise lines not just NCL. At least NCL provides their coffee makers for balcony and higher categories. Most other cruise lines don't provide coffee makers in any cabins.

You can order coffee from room service, no delivery charge. If you don't want to phone and wait awhile for it, then the night before put out the breakfast order card stating the time (half hour block) you want it delivered.

Thanks for all the good info. Makes sense now

You may not bring any personal appliances on board other than hair dryers and curls no irons. The reason being that other items use too much power and are not screened by the electrician to be safe for use on board. Room service is perfect for coffee delivery. You request it the night before to be delivered at x time, or just call when you get up and by the time are out of the shower it will be there.

The rule is NOT stupid. Ships take fire safety beyond seriously. A very minor inconvenience on your part is preferable to an on board fire that can sweep through in minutes

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You may not bring any personal appliances on board other than hair dryers and curls no irons. The reason being that other items use too much power and are not screened by the electrician to be safe for use on board. Room service is perfect for coffee delivery. You request it the night before to be delivered at x time, or just call when you get up and by the time are out of the shower it will be there.

The rule is NOT stupid. Ships take fire safety beyond seriously. A very minor inconvenience on your part is preferable to an on board fire that can sweep through in minutes

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No need to be NASTY once I was explained reason for no electronics I am fine with rule. As I explained in previous post!!!! Just look at other post before you try to chastise me

I'm sailing on Breakaway in May. I know they have coffeemakers in cabins are they keurig's? I have a small one I can bring with me if they just have a regular brewer.

I bring my own coffee and filter in the room 😀 , they use the pre-packed coffee (like a tea bag) if you can find a brand you like & just use the water from tap.

In the morning they have little milk cartons in the buffet, I usually take one and can have fresh milk with my coffee.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I bring my own coffee and filter in the room 😀 , they use the pre-packed coffee (like a tea bag) if you can find a brand you like & just use the water from tap.

In the morning they have little milk cartons in the buffet, I usually take one and can have fresh milk with my coffee.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Good idea

Hello I am new to the boards. First cruise ever on the Getaway next month and I was going to bring my coffee maker, but now does not look like I can☹️️ So what kind of machines are they so at least I can maybe bring coffee?

In post above yours someone states they have brewers that use coffee packs kind of like teabags. I have seen them in grocery store but can remember what they are called. Also I guess the rule is no electronics are allowed to be brought on board because of fire risk which is totally understandable.

Electronics are fine: tablets, e-readers, I-pods, smartphones, et al.

What are prohibited, and will be confiscated, are any electric appliances that generate heat: coffee pots, irons, clothes steamers, hot plates and other cooking devices (yes, nearly every cruise the ship adds to its collection of waffle irons and rice cookers).

Only exception is hair care appliances--there would certainly be a revolt if blow dryers and flat irons were not allowed.

Only[/u] exception is hair care appliances--there would certainly be a revolt if blow dryers and flat irons were not allowed.

Hair dryers are supplied by the ship. Each cabin has one, many ships have excellent ones, not the weak kind attached to the wall.

Ever heard of Room Service? Put in a standing daily order for your desired time for a full pot. Tip the delivery person(usually a kitchen worker)and enjoy.

I'm not sure that a "standing order for your desired time" is a possibility on NCL.

Yep, how dare they have rules to keep everyone safe.:p

In post above yours someone states they have brewers that use coffee packs kind of like teabags. I have seen them in grocery store but can remember what they are called. Also I guess the rule is no electronics are allowed to be brought on board because of fire risk which is totally understandable.

Google Aero Press - IMO makes better coffee than electronic coffee makers. No electricity required, just hot water. Like a French Press but neater, easier, cleaner and superior coffee. This will work if you are satisfied with the temperature of the hot water from the tap... or order a pot of boiling water.

These are meant for travelling.

Hello I am new to the boards. First cruise ever on the Getaway next month and I was going to bring my coffee maker, but now does not look like I can☹️️ So what kind of machines are they so at least I can maybe bring coffee?

If the same as a few years ago on the N.Star, it was a 4-6 cup "basket" machine and I brought my own Kona blend and filters for a treat! Get extra creamers from your steward (if you use them) -- ask for half-n-half not non-dairy.

But to make sure, go here and ask about the Getaway in particular. Also specify your room category -- on the Star I think only Balcony and up had coffee machines...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

Edited by crystalspin

Free coffee on most ships comes from huge urns, and I'm convinced they fill 'em with mud instead of coffee. :D

If I could, I'd bring one of those huge old-fashioned chrome Italian coffee shop machines. :cool:

Unfortunately they have to be plumbed-in, they draw almost as much current as ship's engines, and they won't fit through a cabin door.

So we bring a jar of our favourite instant and a thermos flask. We steal sugar, milk jiggers, cups & spoons from the buffet, and at the end of the evening fill the thermos with hot water from the tea urn, ready for an early morning cuppa in bed. :)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

😣I'm sure I will get some rude and nasty comments from this post. But here goes so bring on the haters. I'm going to abide by ncl rules so my keurig doesn't get confiscated but my flat iron that could possibly have a damaged cord that will be in my suitcase and may not get checked is more at risk for starting a fire as my single cup keurig

No need to be NASTY once I was explained reason for no electronics I am fine with rule. As I explained in previous post!!!! Just look at other post before you try to chastise me

OR learn how to use the CC "search" feature, which would've answered the original question many times over.

In all honesty, recognizing that not everyone cares equally for their electronics (including responding to recalls like the one for small Keurig machines a couple of years ago) or even knows how to use them (the zillion posts about how one's $500+ cell phone works) is common (though still frustrating) knowledge and ample justification for their prohibition.

So, in addition to not carrying heat generating small appliances onboard, here are some other obvious tidbits that all of us should note/remember have been repeated many many times on CC:

>Research, understand and acquire adequate insurance coverage for international travel (including any necessary medical supplement).

>If any itinerary/emergency would require international air travel (or the specific cruise line requires it), get a passport for everyone traveling.

>Unless required by local authorities, NEVER carry a passport off a cruise ship. (Problem returning to the ship: call the "port agent" who will arrange to have your passport in hand).

>Don't rely solely on cash or a debit card for any significant travel event where emergency costs could severely impact you. Get a credit card.

>Respect your fellow travelers by not breaking or otherwise cheating the cruise line rules (e.g., sneaking booze on board - so "low rent."), which only serves to eventually catalyze even more stringent rules.

>Don't be a slob- this includes not washing hands after using the toilet and not mishandling buffet food or utensils in any self-serve situation. It especially includes dressing appropriately for meals - e.g., no "wife beater" tees or hats for men in ANY dining venue or at any meal time.

>Manage your children.

>Avoid any temptation to cut lines or chair hog or otherwise be obnoxious. This includes smoking in undesignated areas, propping balcony doors open (which negatively impacts the AC balance for your neighboring cabins).

>Think twice before using "free" wifi ashore in any cruise port (google the NBC Today Show segment on the ills of this practice).

>Load "price check" apps on your smart phone before falling victim to a cruise port advertisement for great deals on anything. (Some of the worst deals in the world are "duty free" shops).

>Remember the environment by using "reef safe" sun lotions, not littering, not feeding wild fish/animals, etc.

The list goes on...

Obvious stuff? Of course! Yet, someone will ask yet another CC question about one of these items before I've finished writing this.

Happy New Year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums