Goodbye to Dining Room Embarkation Lunch?

cruzysuzy

Another option- if your adult (and maybe self-supporting???) kids would like CC benefits- would they be willing to kick in part of the difference? Or you could give them the option of CC or shore excursions.

Yes, we've been considering that but we have been thinking we pay for the cruise/cabin part and they pay for the "extras" such as getting to/from the ship, parking, excursions, etc.

Plus both couples would need to decide to upgrade as if only one did we'd still have the dining issue.

Another option- if your adult (and maybe self-supporting???) kids would like CC benefits- would they be willing to kick in part of the difference? Or you could give them the option of CC or shore excursions.

Yes, we've been considering that but we have been thinking we pay for the cruise/cabin part and they pay for the "extras" such as getting to/from the ship, parking, excursions, etc.

Plus both couples would need to decide to upgrade as if only one did we'd still have the dining issue.

Totally get that. If you don't mind me asking (and my apologies for not going back to look it up) when and where is your cruise and and on what ship?

First they came for the table-side Cherries Jubilee and I did not speak out because I don't eat cherries...

Then they came for (the first evening of the cruise) seafood buffet and I did not speak out because I don't eat seafood...

Then they came for the chocolate covered strawberries and I did not speak out because I don't eat chocolate.

Then they came for the (Always available menu) Beef Medallions and I did not speak out because I don't eat beef...

Then they came for the butter dishes and I did not speak out because I don't eat butter...

Then they came for the Parmesan basket for the Fettuccine Alfredo and I did not speak out because I don't eat cheese...

Then they came for the MDR lunch and I did not speak out because I don't eat lunch...

Yep ...

Like he said !!

Srpilo

Can you downgrade your suite ....? Are you close to final? That way you can all eat together, if it's that important.

Or, you could eat in MTD, which you had planned on before all this.

That's what people in most all of the other cruise lines do. All of them now have separate suite dining rooms.

I think Norwegian and maybe Royal Caribbean allow non-suite to dine in the suite restaurant for a fee (I think $50 p/p). You could do that.

Edited by mafig

Can you downgrade your suite ....? Are you close to final? That way you can all eat together, if it's that important.

Or, you could eat in MTD, which you had planned on before all this.

That's what people in most all of the other cruise lines do. All of them now have separate suite dining rooms.

I think Norwegian and maybe Royal Caribbean allow non-suite (CC people) to dine in the suite restaurant for a fee (I think $50 p/p). You could do that.

Thanks for the ideas.

That's the boat (no pun intended...) we are in for our upcoming cruise. We are in a full suite and our other 2 couples are in std minis and all are ATD. So I guess to dine together we (1) stand in long lines, (2) dine at very late times, or (3) dine only in HC and/or specialty restaurants. Or option (4) would be to dine separately.

We really don't like any of those options

Your options aren't great. You plan a vacation with other people to enjoy their company and to break bread together and now that may not happen at meal time. I hope that Princess comes up with a answer. At this point we really don't know how it will work.

Before Club Class existed your options were:

a) stand in long lines,

b) dine at very late times,

c) dine only in HC and/or specialty restaurants,

d) Dine in traditional dining

All of these options continue to exist with Club Class.

I do not see where this is a problem when traveling with others not in Club Class if it was not a problem before.

Before Club Class existed your options were:

a) stand in long lines,

b) dine at very late times,

c) dine only in HC and/or specialty restaurants,

d) Dine in traditional dining

All of these options continue to exist with Club Class.

I do not see where this is a problem when traveling with others not in Club Class if it was not a problem before.

The difference is for us (which we realize may not be the norm) we have never had to wait in long lines for ATD but it sounds like we will now.

The difference is for us (which we realize may not be the norm) we have never had to wait in long lines for ATD but it sounds like we will now.

As time goes by expect TD to get even more crowded as more people get disgusted with the long waits for ATD they're going to encounter. :(

Its a discussion, surely? People expressing their dismay IF the embarkation lunch disappears.

Will report back on our January 8 Regal Princess sailing. Hopefully it's not yet rolled out across the fleet. Not that there is anything WE can do about it if it has gone.

Hi, happy New Year, and this is my first post!

We too are on the Regal on the 8 January on our first visit to the Caribbean. We are staying in a full suite so we are looking forward to seeing how the Club Dining goes. I wasn't even aware (and I am Elite member), that you could dine in the MDR on embarkation day, I was always directed to Horizon Court. It never really appeals to me to be honest, so I am delighted to see I can use the MDR in future (or for at least a little while longer, or as long as I book a Suite!!).

We only ever dine at the Horizon Court for lunch on day 1 and generally avoid it, so this will be a little bit extra for us!

As time goes by expect TD to get even more crowded as more people get disgusted with the long waits for ATD they're going to encounter. :(

Yes, and the specialty restaurants (so due to demand those prices will go up). And perhaps even HC.

And then there will be more demand for room service (which will then come a charge due to that demand).

Eventually we'll be bringing our own sack lunches (which will then be a charge to bring aboard)...

Will it ever stop...! [emoji15]

Hi, happy New Year, and this is my first post!

We too are on the Regal on the 8 January on our first visit to the Caribbean. We are staying in a full suite so we are looking forward to seeing how the Club Dining goes. I wasn't even aware (and I am Elite member), that you could dine in the MDR on embarkation day, I was always directed to Horizon Court. It never really appeals to me to be honest, so I am delighted to see I can use the MDR in future (or for at least a little while longer, or as long as I book a Suite!!).

We only ever dine at the Horizon Court for lunch on day 1 and generally avoid it, so this will be a little bit extra for us!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. We are on the same cruise. Here is a link to the Roll Call http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2291245&page=25

That fantastic buffet does not exist on 14 Princess ships, so lunch in the MDR is still desirable.

Beg to disagree. The many choices in any of the buffets are superior to the VERY limited choice on MDR on embarkation. Yes, it is quieter and slower. Fine if that is what you prefer. It is all up to personal choice. We choose to never go to MDR at noon on first day. Rest of the cruise....sure.

Beg to disagree. The many choices in any of the buffets are superior to the VERY limited choice on MDR on embarkation. Yes, it is quieter and slower. Fine if that is what you prefer. It is all up to personal choice. We choose to never go to MDR at noon on first day. Rest of the cruise....sure.

Different strokes for different folks...

We hate the crowd, commotion, etc. of the cattle call at any buffet on embarkation day. It seems like some people act as if they've not eaten in months and won't again for several more years.

Give us the peace and quiet of the MDR any embarkation day! But glad the HC is there for those who prefer the flexibility and variety of offerings.

After all, one is not right nor better than the other - the key is for people to be able to do whichever one they prefer. I hope the option continues - just as those who prefer HC wouldn't want to lose that and be forced to go to the MDR.

different strokes for different folks...

After all, one is not right nor better than the other - the key is for people to be able to do whichever one they prefer. I hope the option continues - just as those who prefer hc wouldn't want to lose that and be forced to go to the mdr.

amen!!

In fact, after following these threads, I decided to try going back to late traditional for my upcoming cruise. Even though it's less than a month away, I was surprised to be able to make the change without going on a waitlist.

Thing is, the report is that the CC seats are coming out of the DR that starts off early traditional, then goes to anytime. If that's true, then a decrease in slots for early traditional will mean that more people will be forced into anytime. So anytime waits get longer, fewer people can get their preferred traditional seating, and Princess makes money out of the situation.

Thing is, the report is that the CC seats are coming out of the DR that starts off early traditional, then goes to anytime. If that's true, then a decrease in slots for early traditional will mean that more people will be forced into anytime. So anytime waits get longer, fewer people can get their preferred traditional seating, and Princess makes money out of the situation.

In the zero sum game of something is either good for the company or good for the customer, with the company brass making the decisions which would one expect to prevail...

It doesn't always have to be a zero sum game but in the case of Club Class it appears that may be the case.

I wasn't even aware (and I am Elite member), that you could dine in the MDR on embarkation day, I was always directed to Horizon Court.

Don't feel bad.

I met a Cruise Director on one Princess ship who had not known that a dining room was open for lunch on embarkation day. He was very surprised to learn about it. And he had been a CD on Princess for several years.

Don't feel bad.

I met a Cruise Director on one Princess ship who had not known that a dining room was open for lunch on embarkation day. He was very surprised to learn about it. And he had been a CD on Princess for several years.

On the Grand in 2011 we went to Crown Grill dressed smart casual on a formal night and the head waiter,who we knew,explained that he was bending the rules by letting us in dressed as we were.I excused myself and went to the cabin where I had the Princess news release(brought along for just this type of situation)explaining that the specialty venues were always smart casual,and brought it back to him.He had no knowledge of the rules and asked if he could make a copy and show it to his boss,the Maitre'D.We have found that many Princess employees have no idea of what is going on and have been told numerous times that the buffet was the only place to eat upon embarkation.

Edited by johnmik1

Eventually we'll be bringing our own sack lunches (which will then be a charge to bring aboard)...

Will it ever stop...! [emoji15]

Passenger walks into naughty room:

"Uhm, hello, excuse me but I received a note to come here"

Naughty room attendant looks at note, retrieves a suitcase, and returns to counter

"Sir, we found this pimento cheese sandwich in your luggage. We will have to confiscate and dispose of it unless you pay the $15 Dorkage Fee."

Edited by Oh2B@C

We have found that many Princess employees have no idea of what is going on and have been told numerous times that the buffet was the only place to eat upon embarkation.

I think that explains a lot. We tend to know more than they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passenger walks into naughty room:

"Uhm, hello, excuse me but I received a note to come here"

Naughty room attendant looks at note, retrieves a suitcase, and returns to counter

"Sir, we found this pimento cheese sandwich in your luggage. We will have to confiscate and dispose of it unless you pay the $15 Dorkage Fee."

"Dorkage" fee . . . Love it! [emoji1]