Goodbye to Dining Room Embarkation Lunch?

cruzysuzy

If I am reading the posts correctly, then by April 2017 the dining room embarkation lunch will only be available to the Club Class and the BVE.

This was one of my favorite perks and I sense that Princess is inching toward a 'class' model of sailing somewhat akin to Celebrity. And there is not enough in the Club Class offerings to tempt me to pony up for it.

Not true.

Please supply the link.

If I am reading the posts correctly, then by April 2017 the dining room embarkation lunch will only be available to the Club Class and the BVE.

One of the things I love most about cruise critic is

extrapolating a single data point to all cruises on all ships.

"I am on the Ruby on embarkation Day of our 10-Day Mexico cruise.

Lunch in the MDR is open to EVERYONE. It was in Da Vinci."

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2439988

We booked a mini suite on Ruby. February. Because we decided last minute to book, only one left was club class M1. We didn't know what club class meant. We have only cruised 4 times. It bothers me to read all negative comments on dining. Aren't we all just people wanting to enjoy a cruise? Less judging!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We booked a mini suite on Ruby. February. Because we decided last minute to book, only one left was club class M1. We didn't know what club class meant. We have only cruised 4 times. It bothers me to read all negative comments on dining. Aren't we all just people wanting to enjoy a cruise? Less judging!

I agree. Take all this with a grain of salt. Speculation runs rampant here.

Don't worry, you will have an amazing time. :)

• 1 month later...
Yes can do something. You can write or E-mail Princess about it. You can also comment about it on the post cruise survey you fill out.

Since you will be on the first sailing of the Regal with Club Class dining, we look forward to what you report.

We went to the dining room on embarkation and there was a notice saying Club Class lunch. However the maitre d said we were welcome to come in, as it was for everyone. We had a delightful lunch, beautifully served, in peaceful surroundings.

Those with less experience of Princess might have been put off by the notice outside, which is maybe their plan.

Club class was just a small area on the right as we entered, and all the difference we could see was green tablecloths. Same menu, same service.

This area was permanently for club class and seemed very underused. At breakfast it was rare to see more than just one couple sitting there. Bit silly really as we were sitting close by and saw nothing different.

Having experienced two class sailings on ships such as Canberra as a teenager, I must say I abhor this development. But I guess if you pay more you expect more. Unfortunately it encourages snobbery such as you find on Cunard from those elite individuals who sail 'in the Grills.'

We went to the dining room on embarkation and there was a notice saying Club Class lunch. However the maitre d said we were welcome to come in. We had a delightful lunch, beautifully served, in peaceful surroundings.

Club class was just a small area on the right as we entered, and all the difference we could see was green tablecloths. Same menu, same service.

This area was permanently for club class and seemed very underused. At breakfast it was rare to see more than just one couple sitting there. Bit silly really as we were sitting close by and saw nothing different.

Where was the notice? I thought they had 2 separate entrances, one for CC on the left side of the DR and the right side is the main entrance. Or is it at lunch they all enter the same door.

It may be underused but the point is for it to be available anytime for those that are in CC.

This area was permanently for club class and seemed very underused. At breakfast it was rare to see more than just one couple sitting there.

At breakfast and lunch it is rare to have a wait to be seated in a dining room.

The only time I have seen a huge line at lunch was when a port day turned into a sea day for some reason or another and many people decided that would be a great day to have lunch in the dining room.

At breakfast and lunch it is rare to have a wait to be seated in a dining room.

The only time I have seen a huge line at lunch was when a port day turned into a sea day for some reason or another and many people decided that would be a great day to have lunch in the dining room.

I've seen long lines at lunch on some of the very short (3 day) coastals several years ago. Never on a longer cruise, though

I have over 400 days with Princess, but have to admit that I don't know what Club class is. Please enlighten me.

You pay a fee for perks your already getting as a elite guest except for set seating area in the d/r. In other words another way to bring in additional income while giving nothing in return.

If this happened in December, Princess typically has its employee Holiday party onboard a ship in San Pedro. Sounds like a one-off to me.

We were on the Regal`s 0/15/17 sailing & on entering the restaurant for lunch on embarkation we were asked for ID, we are elite & were admitted for lunch but was surprised at the questioning which we never had before.

We were on the Regal`s 0/15/17 sailing & on entering the restaurant for lunch on embarkation we were asked for ID, we are elite & were admitted for lunch but was surprised at the questioning which we never had before.

Interesting .... Wonder why???

Maybe they wanted to see the cruise card to see if you should have been seated in the Club Class section.

Don't understand why they'd do that. The MDR is mostly empty on embarkation day because only repeat cruisers know about it. If you ask staff where to go for lunch they always say Horizon Court.

That's probably because lots of them don't want to spend an hour eating lunch & rather use that time to explore the ship or unpack.

We were on the cruise. In some ways we were disappointed. The food and entertainment was good. Our room steward was first rate.

We found the service in the MDR to be lacking, most especially in the AM. In the evening it ranged from poor to good but mostly mediocre. Big disappointment compared to our last Sun Princess cruise. Fruit was poor.

Tendering was a mess. We had the impression that Princess was really cutting corners. Poor on board communication.

Bottom line...we wished that we had booked Infinity instead of Crown.

Don't understand why they'd do that. The MDR is mostly empty on embarkation day because only repeat cruisers know about it. If you ask staff where to go for lunch they always say Horizon Court.

Unfortunately, they will always only say to go to Horizon Court.