Goodbye to Dining Room Embarkation Lunch?

cruzysuzy

I understand and appreciate they want to do something special for those in CC but denying the rest of the passengers access to something that has always been available is a very poor choice on their part.

On the Ruby, for example, there is a total of 88 CC mini-suites and full suites.

On a two passenger/cabin basis, that is 176 people eligible for the embarkation day lunch in the dining room.

When you eliminate the passengers in this group who either do not care to eat the embarkation day lunch in a dining room or board after the dining room closes at 1:30 PM, maybe fewer than 50 people will actually use the dining room that afternoon.

At some point, Princess may decide that it is not worth keeping the embarkation day lunch in a dining room due to lack of demand.

(On the Pacific Princess only 68 people could have that CC embarkation day lunch in the dining room. I wonder how many of them will actually do it.)

As someone who values the pleasant transition that MDR luncheon provides - especially after sitting on uncomfortable chairs in an overcrowded departure lounge that unpleasantly reminds me of the Kathmandu airport - I always try and board early enough to make it to the dining room before 1:30. But even in the past when I fully deserved to eat there, I had to argue my way in once or twice, so we'll see.

And in a year or two: "Elite Status - Fifteen cruises, 150 days at sea, or just slip us a couple hundred bucks."

Edited by shepp

If I am reading the posts correctly, then by April 2017 the dining room embarkation lunch will only be available to the Club Class and the BVE.

This was one of my favorite perks and I sense that Princess is inching toward a 'class' model of sailing somewhat akin to Celebrity. And there is not enough in the Club Class offerings to tempt me to pony up for it.

What is "BVE"?

And this is why I only book Princess now if its really cheap as the "special" aspects of a Princess cruise are going going gone.

After 65 cruises on Princess in all sorts of staterooms I am now down to always just booking an inside GTY on a drop and go deal that nets down to less than $50 a day. Got Crown on a Transatlantic this April for just less than $19 a day each so I really won't be too picky.

Can't stay in a Super8 motel for that.

Wow $19 a day, that's an amazing price, how did you find that

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

If it's true no big thing.

Lucky you! You aren't bothered by the lack of Embarkation lunch. But I bet there ARE things that would bother you, or would you be happy to accept more and more things being removed and still say 'no big thing?'

Maybe cut out twice daily servicing of the room, free room service, no tablecloths in the MDR? No flowers anywhere, no extended hours in the buffet, no International Cafe etc etc. No big thing!

Well, actually it IS a big thing, its the luxury touches which keep us returning to Princess. Keep removing them and maybe we'll look elsewhere - no big thing I hear you say!

Lets face it, Carnival and NCL have already rolled many of these cuts out. But that's why we DON'T sail with either of these cruise lines.

I think it behooves Princess to minimize whatever priority they gave MDR lunch and redirect their resources to dealing with the peak demand in the HC and elsewhere between 1:30 to 3:00 or so.

More likely -- keep the staff in the dining room for the club classers only;

sending more passengers to the over-crowded lido.

Well done, Princess!

If I am reading the posts correctly, then by April 2017 the dining room embarkation lunch will only be available to the Club Class and the BVE.

As far as I know, there has been a single report from one ship

of this happening.

Of course, this data point should be extrapolated to all sailings

of all ships. This is done here frequently.

As far as I know, there has been a single report from one ship

of this happening.

Of course, this data point should be extrapolated to all sailings

of all ships. This is done here frequently.

Its a discussion, surely? People expressing their dismay IF the embarkation lunch disappears.

Will report back on our January 8 Regal Princess sailing. Hopefully it's not yet rolled out across the fleet. Not that there is anything WE can do about it if it has gone.

Edited by ellie1145

Its a discussion, surely? People expressing their dismay IF the embarkation lunch disappears.

Here is the original post:

This is a declarative statement about what will happen.

It's silly to predict based on a single post.

If we believed every post here, there would be no butter in the dining room,

no more blue tote bags, you would be unable to use remaining punches

on your coffee card, etc.

Wow $19 a day, that's an amazing price, how did you find that

That's after $300 OBC as the Anniversary offer from Princess, $50 from travel agent, $100 loyalty, $250 Stockholder, 2 x $75 Future Cruise Deposit OBC, and $250 military OBC.

$1100 total OBC on a cruise which I paid $1652 total inc deposit taxes fees etc for two in an inside GTY.

]

Just less than $20 a day per passenger.

That's after $300 OBC as the Anniversary offer from Princess, $50 from travel agent, $100 loyalty, $250 Stockholder, 2 x $75 Future Cruise Deposit OBC, and $250 military OBC.

$1100 total OBC on a cruise which I paid $1652 total inc deposit taxes fees etc for two in an inside GTY.

]

Just less than $20 a day per passenger.

ok , had me worried id missed a bargain, we are on that cruise aswell. we paid £599 in the uk with included tips, thats only $730, so i think we both did good

Still, the whole class thing kind of bugs me.

I'm with you on that.

I hate to be the proverbial wolf in the hen house but this cruising (and this forum) is all about class: Who gets blue or red cards, free laundry service, preferential treatment based on status - entitlements of the haves and have-nots. It's shameful (especially when it's not subtle). Of course I myself paid for only the second cruise of my life last year, so I guess I could lord that over families who can barely afford to eat and pay rent on land, too. Every time I read posts in these forums I think that a little bit of humility would go a long way with some folks.

Here's two who will next summer.:D
We plan to dine in the MDR on embarkation on the March 26th Regal cruise. Folks might hold off becoming upset about losing the embarkation MDR dining, until it is actually confirmed. Princess has never announced an exclusive lunch in the MDR on embarkation day as a perk for CC guests. Chill out folks!

I'm with you on that.

I hate to be the proverbial wolf in the hen house but this cruising (and this forum) is all about class: Who gets blue or red cards, free laundry service, preferential treatment based on status - entitlements of the haves and have-nots. It's shameful (especially when it's not subtle). Of course I myself paid for only the second cruise of my life last year, so I guess I could lord that over families who can barely afford to eat and pay rent on land, too. Every time I read posts in these forums I think that a little bit of humility would go a long way with some folks.

I think it has to do with the whole society-wide conflation of "buying something" with "personal worthiness." Sure, I like getting my laundry cleaned for free. But no, I don't think that my black card makes me a Better Person.

Honestly, I think that climbing 2000-plus feet to the Tiger's Nest Monastery in Bhutan last month was more of a travel accomplishment than all two-hundred-and-whatever days I've spent on Princess. But then, the Buddha teaches that Elite Status is just an illusion.

Edited by shepp

I think it has to do with the whole society-wide conflation of "buying something" with "personal worthiness." Sure, I like getting my laundry cleaned for free. But no, I don't think that my black card makes me a Better Person.

Honestly, I think that climbing 2000-plus feet to the Tiger's Nest Monastery in Bhutan last month was more of a travel accomplishment than all two-hundred-and-whatever days I've spent on Princess. But then, the Buddha teaches that Elite Status is just an illusion.

I am pretty sure that in Buddhism, self-agrandizing is not viewed as a worthy practice.

Count me as a "who" in "who cares." I really enjoy(ed) embarkation day lunch in the MDR. I'm not going to spend a lot of time worrying about it, since if it's true there's nothing I can do about it and if it isn't true then no need to worry.

I'm another who cares if Princess does away with MDR lunch on embarkation day for everyone except club class folks. I remember the days when it took an effort to get into the MDR at lunch on embarkation day. You'd have three people try to talk you into going to the Horizon Court before finally getting in.

While I'm not too happy about the "class distinctions" (one of the few things I dislike about Celebrity), the MDR lunch on embarkation is no loss.

We did it on the Royal Princess and were quite disappointed at the (extremely) limited menu. Wouldn't bother again. Royal's fantastic buffet (best of any ship we've sailed on) is far superior.

While I'm not too happy about the "class distinctions" (one of the few things I dislike about Celebrity), the MDR lunch on embarkation is no loss.

We did it on the Royal Princess and were quite disappointed at the (extremely) limited menu. Wouldn't bother again. Royal's fantastic buffet (best of any ship we've sailed on) is far superior.

That fantastic buffet does not exist on 14 Princess ships, so lunch in the MDR is still desirable.