Goodbye to Dining Room Embarkation Lunch?

cruzysuzy

We plan to dine in the MDR on embarkation on the March 26th Regal cruise. Folks might hold off becoming upset about losing the embarkation MDR dining, until it is actually confirmed. Princess has never announced an exclusive lunch in the MDR on embarkation day as a perk for CC guests. Chill out folks!

It has been confirmed on the Ruby, both by people turned away when they were not on the Club Class list and by the Patter which said it was for Club Class only.

It has not been confirmed for other ships yet.

Will report back on our January 8 Regal Princess sailing. Hopefully it's not yet rolled out across the fleet. Not that there is anything WE can do about it if it has gone.

Yes can do something. You can write or E-mail Princess about it. You can also comment about it on the post cruise survey you fill out.

Since you will be on the first sailing of the Regal with Club Class dining, we look forward to what you report.

We always try to board in time to eat lunch in the MDR and so we do care about this rumor. It is much nicer to eat a quiet non-rushed lunch. Our impression of the embarkation lunch in the HC is watching pax pile mountains on their plates as if they had not eaten in the last 3 months and then searching for a table. I do hope that this is just a rumor but we will find out in a few months on the Crown.

Edited by satxdiver

My question to Princess is would there be enough PAX in Club Class and suite on embarkation day to make is worth their while to keep the dinning room open? How many PAX out of club class and suites will board in time or want to eat there on embarkation day? A lot of food to cook for a small group of PAX

My question to Princess is would there be enough PAX in Club Class and suite on embarkation day to make is worth their while to keep the dinning room open? How many PAX out of club class and suites will board in time or want to eat there on embarkation day? A lot of food to cook for a small group of PAX

A very logical question to me...

Agree, I appreciate a non-rushed meal in an elegant setting on day one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's a big deal for us since my husband is handicapped and needs to get a "helper" in the buffet. He feels rushed and doesn't like to take up much of the "helpers" time so he really can't get a good look at what is being offered.

We go to the dining room to just rest after a busy day of traveling, checking in and boarding.

We definitely will miss it!

That may be the real reason for the change: Limit the number of diners = limit the staff required to keep the MDR open when there is a ton of work to be done all over the ship during embarkation.

That may be the real reason for the change: Limit the number of diners = limit the staff required to keep the MDR open when there is a ton of work to be done all over the ship during embarkation.

I thought of that too. But the dining room must be staffed to handle how ever many may come. In my experience of having eaten 19 embarkation lunches in the main dining room on embarkation day is that they were never any where near full. If fact they were much more empty than full. So, I think that there will be not much change in the staffing there. But, I could be wrong.

Also, what a bout groups that are traveling together. One has Club Class all the others have insides. People have to eat in different places?

Edited by geocruiser

Also, what about groups that are traveling together. One has Club Class all the others have insides. People have to eat in different places?

That's the boat (no pun intended...) we are in for our upcoming cruise. We are in a full suite and our other 2 couples are in std minis and all are ATD. So I guess to dine together we (1) stand in long lines, (2) dine at very late times, or (3) dine only in HC and/or specialty restaurants. Or option (4) would be to dine separately.

We really don't like any of those options but for them to buy up to Club Class would be a total of $1,600+ which is a lot of $ for a desired dining scenario.

Edited by KruzeKrazy!

That's the boat (no pun intended...) we are in for our upcoming cruise. We are in a full suite and our other 2 couples are in std minis and all are ATD. So I guess to dine together we (1) stand in long lines, (2) dine at very late times, or (3) dine only in HC and/or specialty restaurants. Or option (4) would be to dine separately.

We really don't like any of those options but for them to buy up to Club Class would be a total of $1,600+ which is a lot of $ for a desired dining scenario.

Your options aren't great. You plan a vacation with other people to enjoy their company and to break bread together and now that may not happen at meal time. I hope that Princess comes up with a answer. At this point we really don't know how it will work.

Wishing you the best.

Your options aren't great. You plan a vacation with other people to enjoy their company and to break bread together and now that may not happen at meal time. I hope that Princess comes up with a answer. At this point we really don't know how it will work.

Wishing you the best.

Thanks for your understanding. You would think with us spending $12,000+ on a 1-week cruise dining get together for dinner wouldn't be too much to ask...

I guess we do have one more option - other cruise lines have similar itineraries on similar dates. We could always switch to RCCL Celebrity, or NCL...

Edited by KruzeKrazy!

(5) get a table next to the barricade for you on the CC side and for them on the steerage side and shout to each other over the divider. :D Or you could write notes to put inside the rolls which you then pitch over to their table.

Edited by shredie

(5) get a table next to the barricade for you on the CC side and for them on the steerage side and shout to each other over the divider. :D Or you could write notes to put inside the rolls which you then pitch over to their table.

Like it! Wonder if they will allow the old 2 tin cans connected by a string deal... [emoji15]

They are called kites. ;)

def:

Everybody who works in jails or prisons is familiar with “kite,” which in jails and prisons refers to a written request for something. Inmates can “kite” for anything, but those of us in the medical departments deal with medical kites, as in: Inmate: “I need to see the doctor.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

With all due respect intended, what would you do if there was no option for Club Class? You would then have to consider only options 1, 2, or 3- which is what people have done for many years. There is also an option 5- that is to dine in early TD. And while we are at it, as a full suite guest- you have option 6- order food from the main dining room menu to be delivered in your suite (though unless you are in a Grand Suite- there is very limited table space- like none:()

Club Class is so new- you can just "pretend" it does not exist for you- and select one of the other options.

I guess the simple way to ask- what would you have done if this were your cruise 6 months ago?

I know that your kids are the other two parties traveling with you- what do they want to do? They may not want to go to the dining room every night...

They are called kites. ;)

def:

Everybody who works in jails or prisons is familiar with “kite,” which in jails and prisons refers to a written request for something. Inmates can “kite” for anything, but those of us in the medical departments deal with medical kites, as in: Inmate: “I need to see the doctor.

Ummmm... Keith? Exactly how do you know that? Are you a 'man with a past?":eek::D:rolleyes:

With all due respect intended, what would you do if there was no option for Club Class? You would then have to consider only options 1, 2, or 3- which is what people have done for many years. There is also an option 5- that is to dine in early TD. And while we are at it, as a full suite guest- you have option 6- order food from the main dining room menu to be delivered in your suite (though unless you are in a Grand Suite- there is very limited table space- like none:()

Club Class is so new- you can just "pretend" it does not exist for you- and select one of the other options.

I guess the simple way to ask- what would you have done if this were your cruise 6 months ago?

I know that your kids are the other two parties traveling with you- what do they want to do? They may not want to go to the dining room every night...

We would have done (1) but it would have been before any negative consequences of Club Class since in this hypothetical situation that would have not existed.

Yes, the others are our adult kids but since we are paying for all 3 cabins what they want to do is more our decision than theirs... [emoji6]

I am sure if asked and since we are paying they would answer "Do Club Class!"

We would have done (1) but it would have been before any negative consequences of Club Class since in this hypothetical situation that would have not existed.

Yes, the others are our adult kids but since we are paying for all 3 cabins what they want to do is more our decision than theirs... [emoji6]

I am sure if asked and since we are paying they would answer "Do Club Class!"

I have been on several Princess cruises (quite a few, actually)- and have never sailed on a ship with active CC. What I have witnessed- long before CC was even a twinkle in the eye of the Department of Bad Decisions (ha! Shredie)- long lines at ATD. On the Coral last December, the line up started about 30 min before dinner and stretched all the way to the Passenger Service Desk. I was so stinking grateful to have Traditional.

Another option- if your adult (and maybe self-supporting???) kids would like CC benefits- would they be willing to kick in part of the difference? Or you could give them the option of CC or shore excursions.

I have been on several Princess cruises (quite a few, actually)- and have never sailed on a ship with active CC. What I have witnessed- long before CC was even a twinkle in the eye of the Department of Bad Decisions (ha! Shredie)- long lines at ATD. On the Coral last December, the line up started about 30 min before dinner and stretched all the way to the Passenger Service Desk. I was so stinking grateful to have Traditional.

Another option- if your adult (and maybe self-supporting???) kids would like CC benefits- would they be willing to kick in part of the difference? Or you could give them the option of CC or shore excursions.

Perhaps the cause and effect is not as some people are assuming.

Or perhaps ATD has had long lines at certain peak times for many years in anticipation of the new Club Class dining.

Or perhaps ATD has had long lines at certain peak times for many years in anticipation of the new Club Class dining.

I got a good giggle out of that. Brought to mind an old adage in my previous research profession- Correlation does not imply causation.

First they came for the table-side Cherries Jubilee and I did not speak out because I don't eat cherries...

Then they came for (the first evening of the cruise) seafood buffet and I did not speak out because I don't eat seafood...

Then they came for the chocolate covered strawberries and I did not speak out because I don't eat chocolate.

Then they came for the (Always available menu) Beef Medallions and I did not speak out because I don't eat beef...

Then they came for the butter dishes and I did not speak out because I don't eat butter...

Then they came for the Parmesan basket for the Fettuccine Alfredo and I did not speak out because I don't eat cheese...

Then they came for the MDR lunch and I did not speak out because I don't eat lunch...

First they came for the table-side Cherries Jubilee and I did not speak out because I don't eat cherries...

Then they came for (the first evening of the cruise) seafood buffet and I did not speak out because I don't eat seafood...

Then they came for the chocolate covered strawberries and I did not speak out because I don't eat chocolate.

Then they came for the (Always available menu) Beef Medallions and I did not speak out because I don't eat beef...

Then they came for the butter dishes and I did not speak out because I don't eat butter...

Then they came for the Parmesan basket for the Fettuccine Alfredo and I did not speak out because I don't eat cheese...

Then they came for the MDR lunch and I did not speak out because I don't eat lunch...

What do you do?

Ah- a little send-up to Pastor Niemoller... Clever.

Edited by TracieABD