Passport Stamps at Cruise Ports

Mellpn1

I'm looking to make a list for the people wanting to get their passports stamped in the cruise ports. If you have any info to add please do so!

I have this information already:

1. Grand Cayman. This is one of the coolest passport stamps in the whole world (at least I think so!); it’s a peg leg turtle pirate. Yes, seriously, a peg leg turtle pirate. This one’s pretty easy to get too. Once you’ve arrived in port, after tendering in, there’s a small building with Customs officials who will stamp your passport. The building’s usually pretty easy to find, but we did stop to ask and make sure it was the right one before we went in. This one is also a two for one – if you head over to Hell, Grand Cayman, they’ll give you a novelty stamp saying you’ve been to Hell.

2. Aruba and Curacao. When sailing on the Carnival Miracle a few years ago, we hit the jackpot of Passport Stamps. We got both of these on one sailing. In both Aruba and Curacao, we just asked where the Customs house (or office) was and then walked over. They do keep normal business hours, so you’ll have to do it during the daytime. Both islands were happy to stamp our passports though.

3. Cozumel, Mexico. This stamp is one of the few that’s not in walking distance. You’ll need to take a taxi into downtown to get your stamp here. I don’t have this one yet, but it’s on my list to get…soon! When you get downtown, check out the main post office and you’ll find your stamp waiting for you.

4. Nassau,Bahamas. This is another stamp that’s located in/near the port and usually not too difficult to get. As you’re heading back into the building to go through the security lines, there’s a building past the chain link fence and guard. You’ll need to show your sail pass and then head to the building for the passport stamp. Bonus, you should be able to walk back to the ship at this point and not have to wait in security lines.

5. Roatan, Honduras. This set up is very similar to Grand Cayman. There’s a small official building right as you debark the ship in port where you can ask to have your passport stamped. This one’s a simple stamp (kinda like a novelty stamp), but does say Isla Roatan and has the date you visited the island.

• Thanks 1

Since these are not required entry stamps, I suggest you make a point of using the pages at the back of your passport for them.

The last thing you want to do is fill up the official pages with these types of stamps and then need to get a new passport for another trip before the first one expires. There are some countries that require 2 or 3 blank pages in your passport for visas and entry/exit stamps

That's true is your an overseas traveler. I'm sure if you do international travel these Caribbean ones won't matter to you anyway. I know seasoned cruisers that do it for fun. In 10 years when you renew they let you keep the passport if it has stamps in it. Happy cruising!

4. Nassau,Bahamas. This is another stamp that’s located in/near the port and usually not too difficult to get. As you’re heading back into the building to go through the security lines, there’s a building past the chain link fence and guard. You’ll need to show your sail pass and then head to the building for the passport stamp. Bonus, you should be able to walk back to the ship at this point and not have to wait in security lines.

Man, I had been looking for this when I was there earlier in the month. A friend of mine was able to get the passport stamp at Nassau a few years ago and told me how to do it but once I got there I was unable to find it. Even asking the local police for help turned up nothing. I'll have to try again in a few weeks! :)

Why not? If I'm not going anywhere else and my passport is going to expire in a year or so ... why not have the souvenir? Too each his own ...

Oh, and it's only "unofficial" if it says souvenir stamp. I have gotten some "official" ones. Especially on the Dutch side of the Virgin Islands!

Edited by Mellpn1

Recognize that your passport is an official government document. Any non-official stamp in that document may render it mutilated and invalid. There are some countries in the world that take this position and you may find yourself with an invalid travel document. Also, given that the US government no longer provides for "extra pages" to be added to the passport book, using up the existing pages with novelty stamps just makes the passport lifetime that much shorter. As mentioned, many countries require two blank facing pages.

If you really want to be collecting novelty stamps, I would suggest you pick up a Moleskine notebook with blank pages to travel with. You can get all the stamps you want (including national parks and monuments) and make notes and dates to your heart's content. I suggest Moleskine due to the high quality paper which will be excellent for stamp inks.

Thanks for your suggestion. I also mentioned that many of these are "official" stamps and when you go to immigration they will let you know if it's novelty or souvenirs. THe stamp will actually say so. Again, it's a personal choice for seasoned cruisers that do not do international travels.

With that being said ... do you have any info on where to get Caribbean passport stamps as the original post asks?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh, and it's only "unofficial" if it says souvenir stamp. I have gotten some "official" ones. Especially on the Dutch side of the Virgin Islands!
It is unofficial if it is not issued by a relevant governmental agent.

Every national park has a stamp and pad available at the visitor center. None has the words "souvenir stamp", yet all are completely unofficial.

So please don't impose your definitions where they are wrong. The only relevant official stamps for a passport are those affixed by a governmental agent in the area of immigration and customs.

... This one is also a two for one – if you head over to Hell, Grand Cayman, they’ll give you a novelty stamp saying you’ve been to Hell....
I don't think you will want to do this....

Why would you want to fill your passport with unofficial novelty stamps ?
You're right, this is a mistake....

Using a novelty stamp in your passport renders it invalid. Same as if your two year old grandchild uses it for a coloring book, or your teenager uses it for National Park stamps. It is considered damaged or mutilated.

I agree with Flyer Talk. Putting stamps in your passport renders it void in many places. Unless you are going through immigration control and the stamp is added by a government agent, you are potentially making your passport unusable for its intended purpose.

If you also have an expired passport and you want stamps, then take that one and put them in it.

We walked to the Plaza Del Sol for our Passport stamps from the Mexico department of tourism.

The main place that visitors to Cozumel should visit for tourist information is the Municipal Tourism office. The Municipal Tourism Office is located at the Plaza del Sol commercial building, which is across from and facing the town square in Cozumel. The office is on the second floor of the building and is open on weekdays from nine in the morning until seven thirty in the afternoon. The Municipal Tourism Office also has a secondary location at the ferry pier which is open weekdays from eight thirty in the morning until eight in the evening. Tourists can stop at either of these locations to obtain information about things to do, places to eat and areas to visit. As well as other "Official Tourist Information Booths" located at Punta Langosta Pier, Puerta Maya Pier, SSA Mexico Pier and the International Airport.

You never know what your future travel plans may hold. A few years ago I found myself unexpectedly traveling quite extensively throughout Africa, there were some countries that would not allow you entrance unless you had 4 blank pages in your passport, had I wasted pages with anther stamp from Nassau Bahamas it may have been an unwanted/unnecessary issue.

I volunteer at a National Park. As most of you know, you can buy books at the National Park bookstores and all parks have stamps where you can indicate which parks you have visited. Many people collect these stamps.

One time I was working at the information desk and someone asked me where the park stamp was so I showed him. I looked over and he was stamping the national park stamp into a blue book. Yes - this person was stamping his US passport w a National Park stamp. I stopped him but I should have let him do it.

The OP and many of the respondents on this thread remind me of the person in the National Park.

DON

I'm looking to make a list for the people wanting to get their passports stamped in the cruise ports. If you have any info to add please do so!

I have this information already:

1. Grand Cayman. This is one of the coolest passport stamps in the whole world (at least I think so!); it’s a peg leg turtle pirate. Yes, seriously, a peg leg turtle pirate. This one’s pretty easy to get too. Once you’ve arrived in port, after tendering in, there’s a small building with Customs officials who will stamp your passport. The building’s usually pretty easy to find, but we did stop to ask and make sure it was the right one before we went in. This one is also a two for one – if you head over to Hell, Grand Cayman, they’ll give you a novelty stamp saying you’ve been to Hell.

2. Aruba and Curacao. When sailing on the Carnival Miracle a few years ago, we hit the jackpot of Passport Stamps. We got both of these on one sailing. In both Aruba and Curacao, we just asked where the Customs house (or office) was and then walked over. They do keep normal business hours, so you’ll have to do it during the daytime. Both islands were happy to stamp our passports though.

3. Cozumel, Mexico. This stamp is one of the few that’s not in walking distance. You’ll need to take a taxi into downtown to get your stamp here. I don’t have this one yet, but it’s on my list to get…soon! When you get downtown, check out the main post office and you’ll find your stamp waiting for you.

5. Roatan, Honduras. This set up is very similar to Grand Cayman. There’s a small official building right as you debark the ship in port where you can ask to have your passport stamped. This one’s a simple stamp (kinda like a novelty stamp), but does say Isla Roatan and has the date you visited the island.

Want a real show-stopper? Show us an unlimited multi-entry PRC Visa in your passport.

I have many stamps in my book. All came from official places in the Caribbean. Mainly post offices which are official government agencies. I have flown to many places and have never had any problems what so ever. If I go to china I will make sure to renew my passport but until then I'm not worried. Now please, this post is for those people looking for places to get theirs stamped. No need in posting if you don't agree. We're still going to do what we want with our own passports. This thread is also for people wanting the info for their travel books that have nothing to do with a passport itself. Thanks and happy cruising!

• Like 1

You better reread the fine print in "your" passport.....It is NOT your's. It remains the property of the US Govt.

I guess that means my drivers license and my birth certificate aren't mine either? The government issued me MY passport. I don't think they will take it away from me unless I am thrown out of the country. If they want to do that over a Caribbean passport stamp I would be surprised.