What is there to do on the Regatta on sea days?

Ken the cruiser

We're thinking of booking a 34 day cruise around Australia on the Regatta. We've cruised twice on the Riviera and enjoyed the art classes and culinary classes. We also enjoyed playing putt-putt golf, ping pong, paddle tennis and croquet. We also enjoyed the various lectures they had plus periodically they would have a friendly game of trivia in the main theater.

However, we are unfamiliar with the smaller Regatta and were wondering what activities the Regatta offers on their longer cruises on sea days?

It will probably be very similar with the exception of art & cooking classes

They may have a cooking demo put on in the Regatta lounge by the Chefs

Bingo is also offered, wine, martini & Scotch tastings, maybe a Country Fair

If you play bridge or do needle point, there will probably be a group for you to join. I did a crossing from Lisbon to NYC a couple of years ago and enjoyed not having to do anything. I read and napped everyday. I loved every minute. I enjoyed not having a schedule during the "at sea" days not was the greatest.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It will probably be very similar with the exception of art & cooking classes

They may have a cooking demo put on in the Regatta lounge by the Chefs

Bingo is also offered, wine, martini & Scotch tastings, maybe a Country Fair

Also, dance classes, "stitch and bitch," added trivia sessions, boat building competition. We do miss the culinary classes on the R ships. But, the cooking demos are a decent substitute.

If you play bridge or do needle point, there will probably be a group for you to join. I did a crossing from Lisbon to NYC a couple of years ago and enjoyed not having to do anything. I read and napped everyday. I loved every minute. I enjoyed not having a schedule during the "at sea" days not was the greatest.

We're in our early 60s and have thought about learning how to play bridge, so between now and then, maybe we'll be on a cruise that offers a beginners course. If not hopefully they'll have classes for beginners.

We also bring Dallas and Star Trek dvds, so we always have our backup enjoyment option as long as they still have dvd players in the rooms.

We're thinking of booking a 34 day cruise around Australia on the Regatta. We've cruised twice on the Riviera and enjoyed the art classes and culinary classes. We also enjoyed playing putt-putt golf, ping pong, paddle tennis and croquet. We also enjoyed the various lectures they had plus periodically they would have a friendly game of trivia in the main theater.

However, we are unfamiliar with the smaller Regatta and were wondering what activities the Regatta offers on their longer cruises on sea days?

The most important thing to do is, embrace, your at sea days. Don't worry about what is happening, make your own happenings. Take advantage of being able to read a book or just enjoy watching the sea go by.

We're in our early 60s and have thought about learning how to play bridge, so between now and then, maybe we'll be on a cruise that offers a beginners course. If not hopefully they'll have classes for beginners.

We also bring Dallas and Star Trek dvds, so we always have our backup enjoyment option as long as they still have dvd players in the rooms.

They have DVD players as well as large selection of DVD's you can borrow

They usually have bridge games some are just folks getting together & sometimes they have lessons

Join your roll call 7 maybe you can find others to play a game with

also MahJong seems to be popular

There are really comfortable lounge chairs set up on deck 5 - just under the life boats - very relaxing to sit out of the wind with a book and watch the sea go by. Much quieter than the pool deck, and not at all crowded. Time just seems to melt away on the sea days.

The most important thing to do is, embrace, your at sea days. Don't worry about what is happening, make your own happenings. Take advantage of being able to read a book or just enjoy watching the sea go by.

In a world of media bombardment, instant gratification, and go-go-go society, sea days are a blessing is disguise, a chance to disconnect from the rat race

James, amigo, you discovered the pleasure and romance of just being on a wonderful ship with a wonderful bunch of kindred souls. Listen to them in wonderful conversation, browse the wonderful library, sip a cocktail light up a cigar....kick back

Yes less in more.

This is for me, exactly what draws me to O and the R ships and why I would never ever want to go back to the glitz and faux glamour of the other lines sea going las vegas resorts...

Precisely. That's what it's all about for us: reading, relaxing, escaping from our "digital chains" for a few days, sitting on our verandah and watching the sea go by, exploring the wonderful O library, savoring our last meal or looking forward to our next one, no responsibilities other than not missing the ship at the next port. No TV, no movies. The atmosphere on O suits us perfectly.

Precisely. That's what it's all about for us: reading, relaxing, escaping from our "digital chains" for a few days, sitting on our verandah and watching the sea go by, exploring the wonderful O library, savoring our last meal or looking forward to our next one, no responsibilities other than not missing the ship at the next port. No TV, no movies. The atmosphere on O suits us perfectly.

That might be fine for some, but it sounds pretty boring to me. My DW and I are both retired from the military and now have a fruit farm and raise honey bees and are about as far away from the rat race as we want to be. When we're on a cruise we like having at least the option to decide if it's going to be an active, semi-active or lazy day at sea. On Crystal they have over 50 different activities to choose from on sea days. I know Oceania is not Crystal, but there should at least be a good variety of activities to choose from.

On our past two Oceania Riviera cruises we found there really wasn't a lot of fun things to do, other than the hands-on culinary and art classes, listening to a lecture and maybe participating in a game of trivia and wound up sitting on our veranda or watching dvds the rest of the time on sea days. I know going to sewing and model ship building classes may sound like fun for some folks, but it sounds like going on a HAL cruise around Australia instead might be a better option and a lot more fun.

On our past two Oceania Riviera cruises we found there really wasn't a lot of fun things to do, other than the hands-on culinary and art classes, listening to a lecture and maybe participating in a game of trivia and wound up sitting on our veranda or watching dvds the rest of the time on sea days. I know going to sewing and model ship building classes may sound like fun for some folks, but it sounds like going on a HAL cruise around Australia instead might be a better option and a lot more fun.

JMO

if you were bored on Riviera then the R ships are going to be worse for you

Oceania is probably not a good fit for you

Edited by LHT28

JMO

if you were bored on Riviera then the R ships are going to be worse for you

Oceania is probably not a good fit for you

+1 we are regulars on Oceania R ships and just cruised Crystal for the first time. The lectures were wonderful and the number of other possible choices of activities was mind boggling. Personally as much as we enjoyed Crystal we don't mind the reading and balcony sitting on O.

+1 we are regulars on Oceania R ships and just cruised Crystal for the first time. The lectures were wonderful and the number of other possible choices of activities was mind boggling. Personally as much as we enjoyed Crystal we don't mind the reading and balcony sitting on O.

For me it is about the ports or relaxing

I rarely go to the lectures we do see some of the shows

games are not my thing

I am quite happy to sit & veg but that is me

People have to do what is best for their wants & needs

I've always felt that people that are self reliant and can entertain themselves are generally a better fit on Oceania. If you like constant activities then Oceania is not real big on that.

I enjoy reading and talking to others, so I have no trouble finding plenty to do on Oceania.

I've always felt that people that are self reliant and can entertain themselves are generally a better fit on Oceania. If you like constant activities then Oceania is not real big on that.

I enjoy reading and talking to others, so I have no trouble finding plenty to do on Oceania.

We are very self reliant and have no problem finding things for both of us to do together on a cruise. It's just if we're going to be paying that much money, why should we have to.

We are very self reliant and have no problem finding things for both of us to do together on a cruise. It's just if we're going to be paying that much money, why should we have to.

After reading all the posts on here, and not trying to be mean, but I don't think Oceania is the cruise line for you. Perhaps you would be happier on Royal Caribbean's Harmony of the Sea's. On a ship that large, would not have to see each other all day long and I am sure they would have plenty of activities.

Just a brief note not directly relevant to the cruise/ship in qustion: the artist Graham Dennison will be on board Insignia (R ship) giving classes much of this year. I believe there is a space that will be used as an artist loft.

JMBobB

Sent from my XT1565 using Forums mobile app

After reading all the posts on here, and not trying to be mean, but I don't think Oceania is the cruise line for you. Perhaps you would be happier on Royal Caribbean's Harmony of the Sea's. On a ship that large, would not have to see each other all day long and I am sure they would have plenty of activities.

I agree with you totally except for the fact my DW and I are inseparable on a cruise and for cruising with RCL. We tried RCL once, but found most of their activities were focused more towards young families with children rather than active adults in their early 60s. Actually, we're quite happy on HAL cruises and are so looking forward to the cruises we have booked the next couple of years on HAL as well as Crystal, Celebrity and Azamara.

We were considering Oceania again after being on the 5th norovirus cruise on the Riviera this past March. However, after reading all the feedback on this thread, you have brought to life again many of the shortfalls of Oceania cruises we had almost forgotten about. Actually, this is why I started this thread to see if anything had changed and it seems it hasn't. Thanks again for all your feedback and helping us avoid making a bad decision by booking the 34 day cruise on the Regatta around Australia.

not all cruises are for all people clearly you would not enjoy an Oceania cruise and it is good you now realize you dont jibe with the ships personality.

Thats cool... some do and some dont. People who, as ORV described are self reliant and into others who are adore O for the opportunity to be in like company. You would feel like a square peg in a round hole on one...

I dont think I have ever watched a TV program or DVD and maybe been to 2 or 3 shows in 6 cruises... TV, other than the morning cruise directors briefing is all we ever watch...and I have been on 34 day cruises loving just being there. Reading and visiting with others is more than enough

Likewise I cant stand all the glitz glamor and hub-bub, that other lines tout, so I have found mu niche and you yours... I hope you enjoy what you like. not us.

Nothing (significant) would have changed as this IS O's model. Based on your interests described a different line for a 34 day cruise (whether around Australia or anywhere) could be a good choice.

You've been on two O cruises and sounds like you were bored so it this is looking like a repeat to me.

You might also want to rethink Azamara as on-board activity is similar in pace as on O.

Perhaps have an interview with a good cruise TA or two and see what the expert suggests.

Nothing (significant) would have changed as this IS O's model. Based on your interests described a different line for a 34 day cruise (whether around Australia or anywhere) could be a good choice.

You've been on two O cruises and sounds like you were bored so it this is looking like a repeat to me.

You might also want to rethink Azamara as on-board activity is similar in pace as on O.

Perhaps have an interview with a good cruise TA or two and see what the expert suggests.

Actually on our first Oceania cruise, we had a great time. The shows were great, the food was wonderful and the shore excursions provided a lot of great memories along with the cooking and art classes. In addition we actually enjoyed the peaceful sea days, although it was nice to do some things around the ship like go to lectures, play putt-putt golf and paddle tennis. When things get slow on any cruise we're on, we go watch some dvds we brought or I would read bee magazines on the veranda while my DW plays logic games on the computer.

However, on our second cruise which was after Norwegian bought Oceania and Regent, something was different. The first thing we noticed was the food up on the Terrace Cafe in the evening which was the same menu as in the MDR, just wasn't as amazing as the first cruise. In addition the dessert selections really tampered off, especially when it came to offerings with chocolate. Then there was the main stage entertainment. On the first cruise it was wonderful and practically every show except for one was well worth watching. On the second cruise, someone mentioned O no longer manages the selection of the acts to perform on their ships, but rather farms it out to an independent entertainment service. Whatever the case, practically every show was barely palatable.

Whether or not these changes were caused in part because of the new owner is immaterial. There was just a noticeable change to us in those 2 areas. As far as Azamara goes, we have no doubt we will have a great time as we do on all of the cruises we go on, even on the norovirus cruise. Just because the food was OK and the entertainment was poor and the norovirus was all over the ship, we still found ways to have a good time. The only time we didn't was when we were in one of the specialty restaurants and one of our table mates was quite conservative and didn't know talking politics at dinner can kill a wonderful meal in a heartbeat. But you can run into those types pretty much anywhere.

But the bottom line is O might be for a lot of folks and that's great. It's, however, no longer for us and we shall look elsewhere for cruises that better fit our needs. Thanks again for your thoughts.

But the bottom line is O might be for a lot of folks and that's great. It's, however, no longer for us and we shall look elsewhere for cruises that better fit our needs. Thanks again for your thoughts.

I believe that you have come to the right conclusion for you. It's always important to make the right decision before the cruise rather than have regrets after.

Enjoy your next cruise - wherever or with whomever it may be.

Happy sailings.

Edited by Paulchili