Will my stuff get stolen if I snorkel??

amm188nel

Yes, it is possible - it's not like you are right there and can quickly run back to your things if you feel someone is getting too close. Having said that, think about what you need to take to the beach and prioritize. Take a waterproof pouch for your valuables (Amazon or your local outdoor store) and leave non-essentials on the beach (towel, shoes, shirt). Do you need to take your phone and a camera? Probably not. Do you need to take 3 credit cards and $200 cash? Probably not. See what I am saying? Prioritize your valuables and leave the other stuff without worrying too much.

In our waterproof pouch we carry ship's card, driver's license, small amount of cash, possibly one credit card. That is it. We use a waterproof camera for pictures and do not take our iPhones to the beach. He wears a waterproof watch on his wrist to keep track of the time, as phones can convert to local time and you need to stay on ship time.

If my husband and I have ever felt unsafe, we take turns swimming at the beach. It works for us.

Have fun! :D

What "stuff"? If you're at the beach,snorkeling from shore, you towel, tee/flip flops should be just fine...no one wants those things. Don't bring phone, or other pricey stuff! Your ship's key, credit card and even cash CAN get wet...put them in a pocket on swim trunks (if you're a guy) most swim trunks have velcro pockets.....or in some sort of container, if you're a girl.

If you're on a snorkel excursion, the boat or bus, etc...is where you can leave your things...they will be fine...but again...don't bring too much stuff!

At the pool on the ship, all you need is your key, suntan lotion, book, towel...no one will bother that stuff! I use my key as a bookmark.

Edited by cb at sea

On your ship, you leave your valuables in your room and take your cruise card with you. On land, often snorkel excursions are on a boat and you jump over the side and snorkel, so your stuff is with other cruisers and the crew - not likely to be tampered with. If you go to a beach to snorkel, it is always best to have one member of your party stay with your stuff or rent a locker, if available. If you can't do that, then buy a water wallet online (Amazon, for example) and put your valuables in there so you can swim with them. Take cheap flip flops or water shoes for the beach and the towels from the ship and a cheap beach bag. Most likely no one will disturb them, but if they do, the towels don't belong to you (although the ship may charge you for them) and you can always buy another cheap beach bag and get more beach towels onboard. There are also beach clubs that people pay to go into which are secure - for example Mr. Sanchos, Nachi Cocom, among many others. These beach clubs are good places to go. So far, we've had nothing stolen on any cruise and really don't expect that to ever happen. Leave any jewelry on the ship - remember, you will be in a third world country in most cases, so it is best to leave any valuables in your safe or at home. If you are not on an excursion, only bring a cheap watch. When you are snorkeling, barracuda are attracted to shiny objects - even something like a metal buckle on your swimsuit can attract them. They are very nosey fish with big teeth and some people are freaked out by them as they will follow anything that captures their attention anywhere.

When you are snorkeling, barracuda are attracted to shiny objects - even something like a metal buckle on your swimsuit can attract them. They are very nosey fish with big teeth and some people are freaked out by them as they will follow anything that captures their attention anywhere.

People should be freaked out by them! :eek: LOL. DH always watches for them and he makes us leave the water if we see them swimming nearby. He grew up in St. Lucia and is no stranger to these creatures.

If you are on a beach or at a pool, anywhere, leaving valuables behind...when you go swimming is inviting theft. So we never leave anything of real value. We normally have a backpack which contains our towels, but when we go in the water our credit cards, cash, and even car keys goes with me...in a waterproof fanny pack. If you look online there are various devices that can protect valuables..some of them waterproof packs you wear while swimming or diving..and some other bags that can securely lock to a beach chair. I am not a big fan of things that lock to chairs...but some folks swear by the things. If we are doing a beach, snorkel, or diving day we generally leave valuable items like cameras and phones back in our hotel or cruise ship safe. If you decide to take your chances...things will likely be OK...until one day when they are not.

Hank

Okay so the trend I see is a waterproof valuable pack that you actually swim with... which ones does everyone like? Strap on waist? Or like a purse?

We have tried several kinds and we tested them before we left. Some waterproof pouches leaked! Bummer. :( As it turns out, a small zipper baggie might do the trick and my hubby just puts it inside the velcro pocket of his swim trunks. Cheap, easy, convenient. Double-bagging pretty much assures your items won't get wet but even if they do, cash dries out. ;):D

We have tried several kinds and we tested them before we left. Some waterproof pouches leaked! Bummer. :( As it turns out, a small zipper baggie might do the trick and my hubby just puts it inside the velcro pocket of his swim trunks. Cheap, easy, convenient. Double-bagging pretty much assures your items won't get wet but even if they do, cash dries out. ;):D

Thanks for al the great advice. I see some on amazon that get 5 star reviews and are not too much. Worth a try I guess. My fiancé (will be husband after cruise #1) will be snorkeling non stop and I don't wanna be left behind haha

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What "stuff"? If you're at the beach,snorkeling from shore, you towel, tee/flip flops should be just fine...no one wants those things. Don't bring phone, or other pricey stuff! Your ship's key, credit card and even cash CAN get wet...put them in a pocket on swim trunks (if you're a guy) most swim trunks have velcro pockets.....or in some sort of container, if you're a girl.

If you're on a snorkel excursion, the boat or bus, etc...is where you can leave your things...they will be fine...but again...don't bring too much stuff!

At the pool on the ship, all you need is your key, suntan lotion, book, towel...no one will bother that stuff! I use my key as a bookmark.

Our daughters flip flops were taken from the pool on the Freedom.

Yea filed a report but, gone.

We purchased a Kyss bag that locks and then locks to the chair at the pool.

We use it on the private beaches (Labadee),

Best investment.

Better safe than sorry.

Safe travels.

Also look into what is available where you will be swimming. We did the dolphin encounter at Nassau and they had lockers available to rent. I had a waterproof neck pouch and didn't have much in the way of valuables but rented one anyway and left neck pouch as well as towels, clothes, etc. Well worth the money to me because I wasn't constantly checking the neck pouch and could just enjoy the dolphin.

Okay so the trend I see is a waterproof valuable pack that you actually swim with...

which ones does everyone like? Strap on waist? Or like a purse?

There are quite a few options. Personally we favor a waterproof fanny pack (bum pack for you Brits) which is large enough to hold the valuable items you might carry. Just Goggling "waterproof fanny pack" will bring up lots of options. My own personal item is called a "Sea Caddy" but not sure they even make them anymore. Mine is a lightweight nylon fanny pack that contains a heavyweight clear plastic bag which has a triple seal (this is much more secure then a typical freezer bag). Mine is actually certified down to 100 feet of depth (and I have used it when doing SCUBA) and used to be used by some military divers. Online places such as Amazon and Magellens carry quite a few different products...some of which cost less then $20.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Thought we would add more info to help the OP. Here is a link to a highly rated product (similar to what we use...but not the exact product) that would solve the OP's issue.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Valuables-Swimming-Snorkeling-Kayaking/dp/B00X9XVHPW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1483370724&sr=8-3&keywords=waterproof+fanny+pack

Hank

We have never been on a cruise and Iam just wondering how secure it is to leave you belongings while swimming in the pool or ocean...??

Has anyone ever gotten their stuff messed with or stolen??

Happens to some folks at tourist beaches all over the world. By the way, rental car trunks are also targets.

Thought we would add more info to help the OP. Here is a link to a highly rated product (similar to what we use...but not the exact product) that would solve the OP's issue.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Valuables-Swimming-Snorkeling-Kayaking/dp/B00X9XVHPW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1483370724&sr=8-3&keywords=waterproof+fanny+pack

Hank

I saved that one! It says that it floats too so it was added to my favorites! Thanks :-)

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, it is possible - it's not like you are right there and can quickly run back to your things if you feel someone is getting too close. Having said that, think about what you need to take to the beach and prioritize. Take a waterproof pouch for your valuables (Amazon or your local outdoor store) and leave non-essentials on the beach (towel, shoes, shirt). Do you need to take your phone and a camera? Probably not. Do you need to take 3 credit cards and $200 cash? Probably not. See what I am saying? Prioritize your valuables and leave the other stuff without worrying too much.

In our waterproof pouch we carry ship's card, driver's license, small amount of cash, possibly one credit card. That is it. We use a waterproof camera for pictures and do not take our iPhones to the beach. He wears a waterproof watch on his wrist to keep track of the time, as phones can convert to local time and you need to stay on ship time.

If my husband and I have ever felt unsafe, we take turns swimming at the beach. It works for us.

Have fun! :D

What kind of waterproof pouch do you use? This will be our first time snorkeling and I am clueless.

What kind of waterproof pouch do you use? This will be our first time snorkeling and I am clueless.

Hi there

If you check on ebay or that sort of site, search for waterproof pouch, you will see all sorts. You just want a small pouch that will hold a few credit cards, some cash, not much more(some people get them for their phones). ***TIP:try it out at home to see how waterproof it really is*** You want to be able to carry it easily around your neck or on your wrist. If you are going swimming use a waterproof camera, that way you can take a pictures of the fish as well.

While I am sure it happens, I have never seen anyone robbed at the (any)beach in more than 30 yrs. of cruising. So at best it is not something that is "very" likely.

hope this helps

I bought a set of waterproof waist packs for Hawaii. I put my cell phone and cash is a ziplock baggie then into the waterproof waist pack. Went snorkeling several times and NO leaks. I tested the blue and black bags out before traveling. Make sure your remove all excess air before sealing and make sure you wipe the bag down before opening as water gets trapped in the folds. A great value for around $20.00.

Thanks for al the great advice. I see some on amazon that get 5 star reviews and are not too much. Worth a try I guess. My fiancé (will be husband after cruise #1) will be snorkeling non stop and I don't wanna be left behind haha

Those are the ones I ordered from Blue Sky (great company) and I like the waist pack because it doesn't float in front of your face like the ones that go around your neck,+ I don't want something around my neck. I used these many times and NO leaks. Trusted enough to put my phone in the pack but did use an additional zip lock bag to be extra safe.

I saved that one! It says that it floats too so it was added to my favorites! Thanks :-)