What hotel chain could HAL be compared with?

dcsam

Helping some friends decide on an Alaska cruise. We've cruised with HAL several times and would compare it to Red Lion, Doubletree or Holiday Inn. Is that about right? What are your thoughts?

Thank you

I would say Hyatt...

My initial thought would be Doubletree or Hilton (I stay mostly at Hilton properties, so I'm not sure what the equivalent would be in other chains.) It's definitely a full-service hotel with a bar, restaurant, and cafe on-site, as well as a sundries shop and a liquor store.

As far as accommodations go, outside of the square footage in the rooms, there is very little difference between the HAL cabins and rooms in a Doubletree or Hilton, though you do get twice daily make-up/turn-down service on the ship.

Doubletree. It's Hilton's brand now for older properties that are either acquired or already another Hilton brand (like Embassy Suites) that can not be kept at its current brand standards or brought up to standards for the better class of Hilton brands (like Hilton, or Waldorf=Astoria)

;)

Doubletree. It's Hilton's brand now for older properties that are either acquired or already another Hilton brand (like Embassy Suites) that can not be kept at its current brand standards or brought up to standards for the better class of Hilton brands (like Hilton, or Waldorf=Astoria)

;)

Interesting view on Doubletree!

My initial thought would be Doubletree or Hilton (I stay mostly at Hilton properties, so I'm not sure what the equivalent would be in other chains.) It's definitely a full-service hotel with a bar, restaurant, and cafe on-site, as well as a sundries shop and a liquor store.

As far as accommodations go, outside of the square footage in the rooms, there is very little difference between the HAL cabins and rooms in a Doubletree or Hilton, though you do get twice daily make-up/turn-down service on the ship.

I would say the straight Marriott, not JW, for exactly the same reason above.

Even Marriott's don't have multiple entertainment venues and an overnight teleportation. :)

Dennis

Similar to cruise lines, the can be some large variances between properties in the same hotel brand chain. It is one of the reasons why we are not especially loyal to hotel brands. We select by the property and price.

As an example, the Hilton and the Embassy Suites on 17th St. in FLL are not exactly top grade flagship properties of their respective brands.

Edited by iancal

The knowledge is based on my time as an employee of a Hilton brand hotel...

Interesting. My brother was a manager at a Doubletree and I don't see it as a "lesser" property in any way. Nor have I experienced that in any of the Doubletrees I have stayed in. I would say the "lesser" facilities are more likely to be transitioned to a Hilton Garden Inn or a Hampton Inn.

I saw a cruise/hotel comparison chart a long time ago. Can't find it now. Just trying to give our friends a sense as to the level of luxury, food and service when compared to a hotel. They've never cruised before. So if HAL is like a Hilton, Seabourn is like The Four Seasons.

I saw a cruise/hotel comparison chart a long time ago. Can't find it now. Just trying to give our friends a sense as to the level of luxury, food and service when compared to a hotel. They've never cruised before. So if HAL is like a Hilton, Seabourn is like The Four Seasons.

I would equate it with a Renaissance - the slightly above average brand of Marriott. I would disagree with the Holiday Inn or Courtyard replies. Definitely a higher grade than the mass market hotels.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We always say HAL is like a Hilton or Hyatt...maybe Westin. Comparatively, we say Princess is like a Sheraton, Crowne Plaza or Marriott and Carnival is like a Holiday Inn, Hilton Garden or SpringHill (but that truly depends on the ship)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting. My brother was a manager at a Doubletree and I don't see it as a "lesser" property in any way. Nor have I experienced that in any of the Doubletrees I have stayed in. I would say the "lesser" facilities are more likely to be transitioned to a Hilton Garden Inn or a Hampton Inn.

this is a new thing, within the past few years. Doubletrees used to be nice new facilities. Lately, the new additions are more times than not a rebranded facility.