where do tenders drop you off in lahaina

kaiser369

first time going to hawaii and wondered where the tenders drop you off at,, just so i can plan my day a bit more,thinking of going on the whale watching tour from here then maybe a beach after, if one is within walking distance so any info on that would be helpful too.........

thanks ,, looking at google maps i saw the harbour and also a jetty further up , thought it would be the harbour ..also we dock at 7 in the morning and know princess as other ships do prioritise there own trips,, but how does the process work and will i be able to get off early,,, with celebrity i had to queue in the morning to get a numbered ticket and then wait for that number to be called to get a tender.

If you're a cat person, take the ferry right near the Banyan Tree over to Lanai and visit the Lanai Cat Sanctuary. They are open from 10-3 and have over 500 cats in their open facility. It's a cat lover's dream to pet and play with tons of felines! We were just there in December and it was awesome!

• Like 1

thanks ,, looking at google maps i saw the harbour and also a jetty further up , thought it would be the harbour ..also we dock at 7 in the morning and know princess as other ships do prioritise there own trips,, but how does the process work and will i be able to get off early,,, with celebrity i had to queue in the morning to get a numbered ticket and then wait for that number to be called to get a tender.

Passengers on ship tours, in a suite and/or Elite members of the Captain's Circle get priority for tendering. Others have to get a numbered ticket and wait for the number to be called.

When your entire group is ready you go to the tender ticket area which is usually a DR. All members of your group have to be there if you want to go ashore together. You will get a tender ticket number. When a tender is ready they will call your number. At some time during the morning tender tickets will no longer be needed, there will be an announcement. Princess tours will have priority tendering, but that does not mean that all Princess tours will be on the first tenders. It depends on when the tours depart. Full suite and Captain's Circle Elite Passengers get priority for tenders, but again, this group does not fill up entire tenders, there are plenty of spots available. Very little is open early in the morning in the port area. As far as I remember there is no beach area next to the tender dock. You have to take transportation.

thanks for the info,,pretty much the same as celebrity then,,with other cruises i have been lucky and only done three tenders two of those with celebrity last year,..unfortunately i am only platinum.

On the Crown Hawaii-Tahiti cruise this fall we got to the MDR just before it opened for tickets and wound up on one of the first tenders. So if you don't want to wait just get there early.

Right in the harbor by the famous banyan tree. Lahaina is very walkable along Front Street.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Be sure to walk down to Kimo's and get a piece of Hula Pie! You will be fine if you order ONE piece to share. :)

Kimo's Hula Pie:

Hula Pie is made with Kimo's favorite macadamia nut ice cream piled high on a chocolate cookie crust and topped with chocolate fudge, whipped cream, and more macadamia nuts.

After your whale watching. Head straight through towards cool cat cafe at the Wharf Center and get on the Maui Bus to Kaanapali Beach. $ 4 per person all day. - Questions... Ask anyone in Lahaina.

Is that the cost for the bus or for the beach?

Is that the cost for the bus or for the beach?

The bus. $2pp one way or $4 for an all day ticket.

The beach is free, unless you want to eat, drink or rent an umbrella.

There is at least one beach that is walkable (not a short walk, tho). I think it's called "baby" beach. You can see it to the left as the tender comes in.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

The bus. $2pp one way or $4 for an all day ticket.

The beach is free, unless you want to eat, drink or rent an umbrella.

There is at least one beach that is walkable (not a short walk, tho). I think it's called "baby" beach. You can see it to the left as the tender comes in.

Many thanks. We have no plans in Maui so this sounds like a great day of rest at a nice beach. Maybe we'll get our Hula Pie fix on the way back to the ship. (Moonlight Catamaran Sail on Oahu, and Wings Over Kauai but nothing on Maui :))

Beaches are a walk, not completely out of the question, but you will have to walk. Check mapquest (or some other way to see the area) to get an idea of how far the walk is.

There is a smaller beach right next to Hamburgers In Paradise on Front street, to the left in this picture. You can also see two tenders at the dock in this pic with the big Banyan Tree in the middle.

maui.jpg

Edited by MTJSR

first time going to hawaii and wondered where the tenders drop you off at,, just so i can plan my day a bit more,thinking of going on the whale watching tour from here then maybe a beach after, if one is within walking distance so any info on that would be helpful too.........

The good beaches aren't within walking distance. You would need to drive to Kaanapali, 4 miles north. Most cruisers enjoy going to the beach by black rock near the Sheraton. I would either choose a beach day OR enjoy Lahaina town after a whale watch. Lahaina gets really hot though in the afternoons, depending on the time of the year

No matter what you choose, it is all good there

Not sure how long you'll be in port, but to go to go to the beach and whale watch just seems like a whole lot to cram into your day, unless you have 12 hours in port As someone else mentioned, Kimo's is a good place to go to eat and the hula pie is what they're famous for. You can also get Hula pie at Kaanapali beach if you decide to go there, at Leilani's, which is beachfront at the Whaler's Village shopping center. You could camp out there for the day at the Westin's beach. Two chairs and an umbrella are now approx $60 a day, unfortunately. Used to be $25 just a few years ago.

You can also rent for a half day if they have any available.

Enjoy your trip

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me

By definition, your ship will anchor away from the pier and doesn't dock. the tenders will ferry passengers to the pier.

After your whale watching. Head straight through towards cool cat cafe at the Wharf Center and get on the Maui Bus to Kaanapali Beach. $ 4 per person all day. - Questions... Ask anyone in Lahaina.

We ate at the Cool Cat Cafe on one of our Hawaiian cruises. We enjoyed our meal.

To get to the bus stop, you walk to the back of the wharf center and go through the door there. the bus could get quite crowded when there's a ship in port. You can get a taxi to the Ka'anapli Beach/Whalers Village in front of the Wharf Center. It's a quick trip over there.

Loving all this info...always like to research places and get to know it before I go..We dock at 7am and leave at 6pm so thinking of whale watching in the morning then go to a beach after.so hopefully enough time to look around lahaina too...that hula pie certainly sounds delicious and will try some of that.

Loving all this info...always like to research places and get to know it before I go..We dock at 7am and leave at 6pm so thinking of whale watching in the morning then go to a beach after.so hopefully enough time to look around lahaina too...that hula pie certainly sounds delicious and will try some of that.

What time is whale watching, because that really won't leave you a whole lot of time to go beaching it when you factor in wait times to get back on tender, possible tender delays, that type of thing.

If you are back from the WW at 10:30 or 11:00, you could grab a cab, which have never been that plentiful in Lahaina, or UBER, which would probably work better, then you would get to the beach (Kaanapali near the Sheraton or Westin, Whaler's village area) around noon, you could have a nice lunch there, (Leilani's and get some hula pie) but then by 3:30, no later than 4:00 , you would have to leave if you wanted time in Lahaina for browsing. All aboard would be 5:30, so last tender would be around 5:00-5:15

If WW ends by 10:00 am you would be in much better shape

Not saying your plan is not possible, just saying that it seems too ambitious. There are no true (in my book$ beaches in Lahaina "town" that I'm aware of,except by some gated off condos, and I've been going there for 25 years. I guess it depends on one's definition of "beach". There are patches of sand out in front of 505 Front Street, but I don't consider those true beaches, more like a little sandy area on the ocean. Maybe I've been missing out on the Lahaina "beaches". Yes, there are beaches at Kaanapali in Lahaina, but not in Lahaina town, which is 4 miles south.

However, Lahaina town is a charming place, particularly near the banyan tree. Many cute art studios, on Sundays a craft fair underneath the banyan tree with crafts from local artists.

Whatever you choose, it will all be great.

Edited by 4cats4me

also thanks for info about buses,,how much would taxi be up to kaanapali beach, havnt yet booked whale watching so looking at above posts sounds like a few at the docks, just wondering wether better to wait till i get there,

also thanks for info about buses,,how much would taxi be up to kaanapali beach, havnt yet booked whale watching so looking at above posts sounds like a few at the docks, just wondering wether better to wait till i get there,

I don't know, but if you have the UBER app, you could UBER, and it would probably be around $12--17$ each direction depending on surge pricing.

It's extremely laid back there, so things move on island time, so allow yourself plenty of time LOL

539005cd05ce0f20d468c92e480d9262.jpg

Above pic would be a "beach" in town. As you can see, thin strip of sand

d69137047bfd0dc88dfc6041be91f60d.jpg

Above pic is beach in Kaanapali, umbrellas belong to Sheraton looking toward the Double tower Whaler condos which are next to Whaler's Village where the Hula Pie is at Leilani's

5a91008cb79664e5737ab5c2b33e5373.jpg

Strip of sand in front of 505 Front Street, Lahaina town, which would be to the right of where the tenders come in, maybe a quarter to a half mile walk

d1ac5717c8f52ad81323045d3d87eb4e.jpg

Lahaina town, mid-town, to the left of where the tenders come in

Edited by 4cats4me