Issue with booking, can I get onboard credit compensation?

greg898

This is a long story so bear with me. I happened to be looking over my booking last night and noticed an error with my address and went in to change it but every time I hit save, the website would revert it back to the incorrect address.

So I call into Princess to see if they can fix it and the service rep was having the same problem so she called someone in Captain's Circle to see if they knew what the deal was. Then that person said that they have a database supplied by the postal system so I need to call them and get them to fix it. So I then call the Post Office and give them my address and they say it shows up fine in their system so it must be Princess.

I then call back into Princess to tell them what I found out so they fool around some more and still can't get it to work. They then tell me that they're going to show it to someone else today and to call back tonight for an update.

It just boggles my mind that it's that difficult for them to manually override something in their system. So, I spent about 3 hours on the phone last night between Princess and the Post Office trying to get this issue sorted out and was wondering if you guys thought it would be unreasonable for me to ask for additional credit or something for wasting my time.

Then that person said that they have a database supplied by the postal system so I need to call them and get them to fix it. So I then call the Post Office and give them my address and they say it shows up fine in their system so it must be Princess.

Huh??? I've never heard of something like this? Don't you give them your address when you book? Is the problem that you told them you live at blankety blank address and princess is showing the wrong numerics/street spelling/zipcode or are they reverting to a prior address you had?

I've had the first option happen several times, some companies want to make sure your address verifies so they don't accidentally put in a bad address.

No, I don't think you would get any compensation for this. You haven't been harmed or lost something you were entitled to. If you used a TA then your TA could have sat on the phone instead of you; but it's not unusual or unreasonable to have to make phones calls like this when booking a trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727

Are you speaking about the USPS? I don't know what they have to do with the issue. Seems like a strange response from Princess.

Whatever your real address is Princess should be able to enter this in their system. We don't have any problem with Princess and we have address issues.

We always have issues with our address, no matter which company or State Agency we deal with. It is because our postal address and street address are different, and we do not have a P.O. Box. It is the way the post office set up the system almost 50 years ago. The postal service does not recognize our street address, and delivery services services do not recognize our postal address. To make it even more complex the State requires both addresses on our official documents.

I find it odd that your first thought is compensation.

Well, it was actually my girlfriend's :p but I figured it wouldn't hurt to check with you guys since we've only been on 2 cruises and I'm not 100% sure how it works. Her reasoning was that I spent several hours doing work for them when it was obviously something wrong with their system.

Are you speaking about the USPS? I don't know what they have to do with the issue. Seems like a strange response from Princess.

Whatever your real address is Princess should be able to enter this in their system. We don't have any problem with Princess and we have address issues.

We always have issues with our address, no matter which company or State Agency we deal with. It is because our postal address and street address are different, and we do not have a P.O. Box. It is the way the post office set up the system almost 50 years ago. The postal service does not recognize our street address, and delivery services services do not recognize our postal address. To make it even more complex the State requires both addresses on our official documents.

I'm Canadian so it's Canada Post but yes, it's the equivalent to USPS. I was dumbfounded when they told me they couldn't manually adjust it and told me it was wrong when it obviously isn't because I receive all my other mail just fine. I just called back for an update and they said that the IT dept. is looking into it.

Huh??? I've never heard of something like this? Don't you give them your address when you book? Is the problem that you told them you live at blankety blank address and princess is showing the wrong numerics/street spelling/zipcode or are they reverting to a prior address you had?

I've had the first option happen several times, some companies want to make sure your address verifies so they don't accidentally put in a bad address.

No, I don't think you would get any compensation for this. You haven't been harmed or lost something you were entitled to. If you used a TA then your TA could have sat on the phone instead of you; but it's not unusual or unreasonable to have to make phones calls like this when booking a trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's the first option. It's saying that it's a bad address when it isn't. I didn't mean to sound entitled or anything when asking about the credit. We just haven't traveled a whole lot and didn't know if I should bring it up or not. I wanted to ask here first before I made an ass out of myself talking to the service rep but it looks like it would have been better not to bring it up here at all. :p

I'm in the US and my old house address was never entered into the USPS database so when any place would enter it into their database and verify it with USPS (very common thing to do) it would change it completely (different house number and different street). USPS never fixed it so I never even had a mailbox at the house.

From my experience your problem is a combo of USPS and Princess' databases not communicating properly.

In my opinion your problem and time won't get you any credit.

I don't know what the issue is with your address, but my address is frequently listed as a neighboring city due to our zip code. Since the actual post office is in that city, not in the city where our home is, sometimes our address will show up that way in databases. It has never caused a problem.

This is a long story so bear with me. I happened to be looking over my booking last night and noticed an error with my address and went in to change it but every time I hit save, the website would revert it back to the incorrect address.

So I call into Princess to see if they can fix it and the service rep was having the same problem so she called someone in Captain's Circle to see if they knew what the deal was. Then that person said that they have a database supplied by the postal system so I need to call them and get them to fix it. So I then call the Post Office and give them my address and they say it shows up fine in their system so it must be Princess.

I then call back into Princess to tell them what I found out so they fool around some more and still can't get it to work. They then tell me that they're going to show it to someone else today and to call back tonight for an update.

It just boggles my mind that it's that difficult for them to manually override something in their system. So, I spent about 3 hours on the phone last night between Princess and the Post Office trying to get this issue sorted out and was wondering if you guys thought it would be unreasonable for me to ask for additional credit or something for wasting my time.

We had the same thing with the SS admin. They could not find our address, but got no compensation for it.

Why r u asking us? r u to embarrassed or don't want to look foolish by asking Princess?.......... the bottom line is ask Princess not us........;)

Never know what they might say.....

These frustrations are normal with everyday life, this is small peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by land lover

Not sure why you would even care what your address was. All Princess uses it for is sending junk mail. Customer service regularly fixes the city - when people use Princess Air to fly their home airport is often the wrong one, so they are able to do that much.

The critical information in your booking is name and passport information, plus any credits and debits. Pretty much anything else (like table assignments) can be fixed onboard. As long as there is something in the required fields in the booking you will be able to check in for the cruise and print your boarding pass and luggage tags when they become available. You can even fill this out at the pier, although it will slow you getting onboard.

Do agree that once you start trying to fix something with computers you don't want to stop and let it go. JC Penney kept sending our bills to the wrong first name (but right address and account) and we tried for years to get it fixed. Change would stick for a month and then revert. Agent finally marked "Earl" as deceased and that solved the problem.

No. I spent hours and hours on the phone with Princess over the course of several months, trying to get the name, middle name, birthdates and cabin assignments (5 cabins) for my family straightened out - every time we got one of the gals in the right cabin, their system would switch the birthdate and middle name. We were a group of very mixed up identities. It was actually kind of amusing if you didn't mind wasting all the time on the phone. The reps were all very nice, and we had a few chuckles as things kept going back and forth. I so wanted to be much younger.

It wasn't me - I knew what rooms they were supposed to be in, when they were born and whose middle name went with who. Had to all be correct to match the passports or I wouldn't have cared. They had to de-link everything, everything. About two weeks before sailing everything was finally correct and stayed that way. Compensation - never even thought about it. I just wanted everyone to be able to embark without a problem.

I keep being given honours in the Princess System, currently an OBE. But at one stage I was telling people I was a knight and it was awarded by a Princess.

I know one person who jumped to Elite after all these cruise they hadn't taken appeared in their list.

Took us forever to fix our address with a professional licensing board. They changed our California address to one in Canada. Our address didn't exist in Canada. (I googled it). What was odd was the membership was at the 15 yr mark when it changed.

Edited by SadieN

Since Princess no longer sends cruise docs via mail, and it'll just be the quarterly magazine (which you can view on line, I think) and occasionally brochures to entice you to book a cruise....I don't see what harm you're getting by having the wrong address in the system.

Some GPS systems will give directions for our house to a location about a half mile away. So there's been times that someone trying to get to our house (contractors, for example) will call and say they're at the gate but the guard doesn't have us as living there. I then have to say, we don't live in a gated community so if you have followed the directions that I gave you before, you would be here and not at the wrong location.

My only real concern was that emergency services have the right info. My hubby assured me that they do (he used to work at the 9-1-1 system and had checked that very issue).

Since Princess no longer sends cruise docs via mail' date=' and it'll just be the quarterly magazine (which you can view on line, I think) and occasionally brochures to entice you to book a cruise....I don't see what harm you're getting by having the wrong address in the system.

Some GPS systems will give directions for our house to a location about a half mile away. So there's been times that someone trying to get to our house (contractors, for example) will call and say they're at the gate but the guard doesn't have us as living there. I then have to say, we don't live in a gated community so if you have followed the directions that I gave you before, you would be here and not at the wrong location.

My only real concern was that emergency services have the right info. My hubby assured me that they do (he used to work at the 9-1-1 system and had checked that very issue).

One day while following the directions given by my GPS we encountered this sign:

c4787e1e-c640-49d8-8a3d-fb07584abbe5_zpsc0d0uozo.jpg

We turned around and went a different way. :D

One day while following the directions given by my GPS we encountered this sign:

Love that one.

We bought a brand new car, GPS is wrong so often it is almost funny.

Love that one.

We bought a brand new car, GPS is wrong so often it is almost funny.

I think we were geocaching in Paradise, CA when I took that pic with my phone. We thought it was pretty funny. We did drive down the road a bit just to see if it really was a dead end and sure enough it was. I guess they were tired of people driving down their street when they didn't need to be there.

Love this. My ancient car doesn't have GPS. And google maps on my phone tends to be slow (not catching up with the current location) and I refuse to even touch my phone if I'm driving. I was in Pasadena several times this fall and got lost several times trying to find a decent place to get on the freeway (either get on in a crowded one that required a couple of creative lane changes in order to get to the freeway I wanted or find the on ramp for the freeway I wanted further north or northwest...but that I never did find this).