Giving Items Away on Shore Excursions

bkpjlp

Give me your feedback please. We're new to cruising, going on our 1st in March and I was thinking of bringing some of my kids' school t-shirts that have been worn maybe 1-2 times to local kids, as well as some soccer jerseys, some of my racing medals and school supplies. I could give these t-shirts to Goodwill but if it has a school logo on it, they throw them away and I want the shirts to go to kids who could use them. (I imagine Goodwill has an abundance of local school shirts and they don't sell.) What are your thoughts about this? Will we see local kids during our shore excursions to give them away? Is it a bad idea?

I doubt you will be in contact with local children, unless you are planning some sort of "mission" trip to a school. That might be the better option would be to contact a church that does that sort of outreach.

I think it's a very nice and charitable idea, but just going around giving out clothes seems a bit..uhm...not right, to me....

Give me your feedback please. We're new to cruising, going on our 1st in March and I was thinking of bringing some of my kids' school t-shirts that have been worn maybe 1-2 times to local kids, as well as some soccer jerseys, some of my racing medals and school supplies. I could give these t-shirts to Goodwill but if it has a school logo on it, they throw them away and I want the shirts to go to kids who could use them. (I imagine Goodwill has an abundance of local school shirts and they don't sell.) What are your thoughts about this? Will we see local kids during our shore excursions to give them away? Is it a bad idea?

I wouldn't give stuff directly to kids on shore excursions. Think how you are taught not to take stuff from strangers, etc. Perhaps you could Google some of the ports to see if there are orphanages or hospitals nearby that you could donate to.

I've never been in a situation on a shore excursion where there would have been an opportunity to give clothing directly to kids. And yes, in general, not a good idea. Recently returned from Africa and Americans giving things directly to kids they see rather than in support of a community organization has hurt the culture. If you book local tours you could ask the operator if the tour can stop by a community organization where you can drop them off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most shore excursions take you to the local tourist attraction. Areas set up to handle large groups of people and to make money off of you. Think Disneyland. Or Miami Beach. You are, purposely, not walking through back roads with kids playing stick ball. No opportunity to be generous.

You could always donate the items to a local shelter instead of the Goodwill where you live. From my experience (I haven't cruised much but I have traveled to land based resorts) the locals you encounter are trying to sell you something. Plus why carry all of that extra luggage around especially if you have to fly to the port? Even if you drive (bus or train too) to the port that's still extra luggage you have to deal with.

I understand your thought process though but you may end up bringing the items back home in the end.

I think that this is the sweetest idea, ever! I think that trying to contact a group (a missions group, a shelter, an orphanage, etc) before going is a great idea! Maybe they can even arrange to have someone meet you in port or at your excursion destination to receive the donated items!

FYI, Goodwill does not ever throw away any clothing - even if it's torn to shreds or *gasp* has a school logo. Anything that doesn't sell or is deemed unsellable is donated to textile recyclers. It is then used for industrial rags, fiber filling for furniture, or a gazillion other uses. Quite often it is sent overseas to high need areas. Goodwill will take any and all textile you wish to donate. Over 95% of the stuff they send to the textile recyclers is able to be re-purposed.

Edited by LrgPizza

Most shore excursions take you to the local tourist attraction. Areas set up to handle large groups of people and to make money off of you. Think Disneyland. Or Miami Beach. You are, purposely, not walking through back roads with kids playing stick ball. No opportunity to be generous.

**You had the Best answer**

Sadly anything dropped off at any port would probably not even make it to those who need it.

Edited by david_sobe

Donate your stuff locally at home. Church/school/community organizations run by teens etc and let them cloth the locals in need or arrange for a large shipment to those in need further away be it in the USA or abroad. All you need to do is post on fb about what you are looking for and you will have several answers from

Locals in your area within minutes

If you want to help internationally without looking to hard just find a reputable organization that does a proper job...you know the kind of organization that doesn't put 90% of donated $$$ towards administrative costs

I've stopped donating anywhere other than to a local consortium that gathers clothes for our local school kids in need. I know the lady that runs this consortium and I know how she gets the items to those in need.

FYI, Goodwill does not ever throw away any clothing - even if it's torn to shreds or *gasp* has a school logo. Anything that doesn't sell or is deemed unsellable is donated to textile recyclers. It is then used for industrial rags, fiber filling for furniture, or a gazillion other uses. Quite often it is sent overseas to high need areas. Goodwill will take any and all textile you wish to donate. Over 95% of the stuff they send to the textile recyclers is able to be re-purposed.

Thank you for pointing this out. I manage (volunteer) at a non profit fundraising thrift shop for the past 20+ years. It is amazing what people donate, good reusable things (and not so good.)

We have a recycling company that comes every week and picks up our bags of unusable/unsellable textiles. Tons of it yearly. I have no idea what they do with it, but they pay us to take it and it's a huge industry worldwide. Just about every road side recycle bin you see is picked up by textile recyclers. Some of it is possibly sold in thrift stores (buyer's choice) but tons of it is shredded.

I've read many articles about the things people donate to Red Cross and other charities during a state of emergency or to a goodwill collection.

I see it first hand. Sometimes donors even write "poor people" on the bags they donate to us. Almost as in: "we don't want it anymore, but the poor people will"

We are so grateful to have the recycling companies. Otherwise it would all go in the landfill.

I agree, I wouldn't try handing out my old things on the street. I wouldn't want my kids taking things from strangers either. Donate them to the collection organizations and they will sort them and decide the best options.

Everyone should donate their no longer needed clothing and household items. It all has a place and it's not at the local dump.

The OP has good intentions. :)

Several years back our Cruise Critic group brought personal supplies for local children. One of the couples in our group had arranged a meeting through their church and they picked up all the supplies (we had bagged them in groups for each individual)at our M&G and took them on shore. I do not remember what island it was. Anyway, it was well received in our group. It added a feel good moment to our trip (several members of Cruise Critic went along to give the bags away) but we did not.

Unfortunately, with luggage requirements what they are today it is more difficult. We fit ours in our luggage but some people bought theirs at local stores when they got to Miami.

If you have an affiliation with a church that might be a good place to start.

I have found that in many ports you will find "cooperatives" selling handmade items. For example, in Guatemala, there was the Women's Cooperative selling right at the port store. You could do a little research and see what is there. To me, making a profit on what you create yourself is way better than someone giving you something you may or may not need or use. And you, yourself, return home with something absolutely beautiful.

Edited by drvalo

Several years back our Cruise Critic group brought personal supplies for local children. One of the couples in our group had arranged a meeting through their church and they picked up all the supplies (we had bagged them in groups for each individual)at our M&G and took them on shore. I do not remember what island it was. Anyway, it was well received in our group. It added a feel good moment to our trip (several members of Cruise Critic went along to give the bags away) but we did not.

Unfortunately, with luggage requirements what they are today it is more difficult. We fit ours in our luggage but some people bought theirs at local stores when they got to Miami.

If you have an affiliation with a church that might be a good place to start.

Our CC group did this - wonder if we were on the same cruise as you!!!

Years ago we would take backpacks full of pencils, rulers, glue sticks, etc. with us, and stop at a local school while on an atv or exploration kind of excursion and hand them out. All we did was ask the excursion person if he/she knew of a needy school - they all did, and no one complained about making an "unscheduled" stop. We did this in the Dominican Republic and Jamaica several times. I guess if you take a more "local flavor" kind of excursion you could still do this.

The tour we did in Roatan thru Rony Tours had an option to visit an orphanage or school and bring donations. If that's your desire, you likely need to book outside of the cruise lines. They were interested in books, candy, sports equipment, and small toys specifically.