Which option would you choose???

Jenn1974

3 night cruise on the Liberty from Canaveral. Departs February 23rd.

There is an early am flight that is non stop that arrives in Orlando at 7:50 am. With this option we would take the Carnival transportation to the port. We have faster to the fun. This flight is 70 $ more than the Option B Flight.

Option B. Take the same flight a day sooner but for 70 dollars less. Incur the cost of a rental car, meals that day and a hotel and transport to the ship.

There is alot less hassle with option A and the flight is non stop and early enough with 3 flights after it that could get us to Orlando with plenty of time after it that I am leaning toward option A.

Just wondering what some of our more experience cruisers would do. FYI its one less night away from my kids option A. So that would also be easier on everyone involved.....

I am not a more experienced cruiser, but I would never fly in the day of a cruise. I am too big of a worry wart that something would go wrong with the flight and I wouldn't make it to the cruise port in time and miss the ship.

Jenn1974, The question is really this:

Where are you flying from? Is it somewhere that there might be a blizzard or other weather issue on this date? If so, you are taking a risk where none of the flights might go or the subsequent flights might be full. If you have cruise insurance, it will cover you in case of a weather delay. If not, then you lose your cruise and money. Can you afford to pay same day full fare if your flight is cancelled and the only other choice is a different airline? Can you get from your home airport to the port in Florida by car that morning if all heck breaks loose and you can't fly for some reason?

I have flown in day-of successfully, but would do this only when I know the weather will almost certainly be OK. I have also had flights where there was a mechanical (last March going to Miami) and we got in many hours later than originally planned (as many as 15 hours later in one case and last March it was 4 hours later after several hours of waiting for a repair that didn't work and then having to change gates and planes), but luckily our cruise was not until the next day, so there was no stress about missing the ship.

Weigh out what you are comfortable with and proceed accordingly.

I'm looking out of my window right now and shuddering at the thought of what would have happened if we'd had a same day flight/cruise today. And given the recent weather, I think a lot of N. America is in the same boat, no pun intended.

DW and I have done 2 cruises by flying in the same day. Both times, we wondered if we did the right thing but got there without any issues including flying out of St Louis in Feb with ice on the ground. We did it to save a few $$ but found, the stress wasn't worth it, both times it took a bit of time to unwind and enjoy the cruise. We have found flying in the day before, we can relax sooner and get a good night's sleep and be ready to enjoy the ship the moment we embark. I usually use a discount hotel website to find a good deal, yet to be disappointed with results. Flying a day before usually costs us less than $250.

NEVER the same day..... Just not worth even the small possibility of missing your vacation. Even if it's not a weather issue, there is always the possibility of a mechanical, a computer problem with the airline/FAA, some nutcase (think Ft Lauderdale) or even just some nutcase who gets in a fight on the plane and screw things up.

Nope.

If you are flying a short distance (two hours or less), with multiple flights after the one you book that would get you there on time I would take that chance.

We live in Phoenix and will fly to LA the same day of the cruise but if something happens to the scheduled flight there would be about 15 other flights that we could take, without breaking the bank.

I don't have to worry about weather (for the most part) either.

Any other scenario, I would fly in the day before.

We always fly the day before. Aside from flight delays/cancellations, we also don't want to worry about luggage delays. Even if it is a non-stop flight, there is a chance, though very remote, that the luggage may not be loaded on same flight. It really depends on your comfort level.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Plenty of people fly the same day as their cruises and make it just fine. On the other hand, sometimes flights get delayed or canceled and passengers get left. When we have the opportunity, I'll book us a flight at least a day before a cruise. But sometimes we've flown in the morning of a cruise. Make sure if you do that you have good insurance that will cover your costs in case you miss the ship.

3 night cruise on the Liberty from Canaveral. Departs February 23rd.

There is an early am flight that is non stop that arrives in Orlando at 7:50 am. With this option we would take the Carnival transportation to the port. We have faster to the fun. This flight is 70 $ more than the Option B Flight.

Option B. Take the same flight a day sooner but for 70 dollars less. Incur the cost of a rental car, meals that day and a hotel and transport to the ship.

There is alot less hassle with option A and the flight is non stop and early enough with 3 flights after it that could get us to Orlando with plenty of time after it that I am leaning toward option A.

Just wondering what some of our more experience cruisers would do. FYI its one less night away from my kids option A. So that would also be easier on everyone involved.....

Our first cruise (2007) was a five day out of Mobile, on the teeny-tiny (by today's standard) Carnival Holiday, and after that my cruise crazy addicted wife said,' Hey !! Look, pal, when it comes to cruises, LONGER is BETTER !!' (Least, I HOPE she was talking about..,well, you know?) BUT, I also know there are times when a longer cruise isn't possible. I just know that even after five days, my wife's already saying after the fifth day, ' This CANNOT be already ending in TWO days!!'. But, as the saying goes, ANY cruise, is better than none.

But if option A would mean one less day away from the kids, then there's your choice. :)We've decided to drive down to Carnival in March, use a Park N' Cruise package. But in your case, it's what's easier on the family. In either option, have a FANTASTIC cruise !!

Mac

You will spend much more than $70 if you have to stay in a hotel. You really don't "need" a rental car..there are shuttles, but those prices are probably a wash.

If it wasn't Feb., I'd take the early flight the day of...leaves you AMPLE time to get to port, even with slight delays. BUT...the weather ANYWHERE in the country can affect your flight...I'd opt for the day before, pay hotel/food/car, and not worry about it! Consider it "self-insurance".

I also would never do a 3 nighter, if a flight was involved.....too much extra money for such a short cruise!

Edited by cb at sea