Free Pub lunch gone

antsp

Currently on the Ruby, the free daytime Pub lunch in the Wheelhose has ended. It's now a $12 salty dog menu,

Place was empty when I asked, staff very vague didn't seem to want to answer about the free option.

Nice option on sea day

Shame on you Princess

All other upcharge restaurants are $29 pp

Antsp

Just off 31 days on the Crown where the free pub lunch was offered frequently. The Gastropub price was reduced to $12 per person so we were convinced to ty it. The general consensus of our group of 4 was that the food was good but not great. One serious problem I personally experienced was the lack of regular seating. The head waiter for the Gastropub was hawking it at a pub lunch one day and I asked if they had at least one normal height table (I was having mobility problems and pub height seats were not comfortable). He assured me they did. When we showed up a small sitting area with only a coffee size (and height) table was all he could offer! I informed him that wasn't normal height either. Given the average age of Princess passengers I was surprised that more consideration wasn't given to folks who can't handle the tall chairs. We won't be back.

Just off 31 days on the Crown where the free pub lunch was offered frequently. The Gastropub price was reduced to $12 per person so we were convinced to ty it. The general consensus of our group of 4 was that the food was good but not great. One serious problem I personally experienced was the lack of regular seating. The head waiter for the Gastropub was hawking it at a pub lunch one day and I asked if they had at least one normal height table (I was having mobility problems and pub height seats were not comfortable). He assured me they did. When we showed up a small sitting area with only a coffee size (and height) table was all he could offer! I informed him that wasn't normal height either. Given the average age of Princess passengers I was surprised that more consideration wasn't given to folks who can't handle the tall chairs. We won't be back.

Pretty hard to manage with a wheelchair or scooter.

Well, I wasn't the biggest fan of the free Pub lunch, so I'm not crushed to hear this. I have done Salty Dog once and I thought I would have preferred it for lunch vs dinner. I'm sure the lunch menu is limited, so not sure how I like that.

Things to consider, not every ship has Salty Dog. Those that do, are usually not "sold out" for dinner. Neither is Sabatini's for that matter. Really would hate to see Sabatini's go, but no opinion on Salty Dog other than I hope to try the lunch before it goes away. I am a huge fan of Shares too.

Currently we have no plans to sail the Ruby in 2017. Maybe we will book something on the Ruby now :)

I won't object to another cruise :)

Edited by jennybenny

I agree, those "pub" tables are not very comfortable. I can only imagine how that gets compounded with mobility issues. I am surprised that Princess doesn't have at least 1 table to account for those passengers who require something more comfortable, especially considering ADA law.

I've never seen Salty Dog very busy, but I did enjoy it the one time we went.

We cruised with friends our second time on the Ruby and as we had already tried Shares and the Crown Grill (for a party of 9) we didn't add Salty Dog that trip in consideration of their expenses. I wonder what their "profit" line is? How many passengers required on average per night?

Currently on the Ruby, the free daytime Pub lunch in the Wheelhose has ended. It's now a $12 salty dog menu,

Place was empty when I asked, staff very vague didn't seem to want to answer about the free option.

Nice option on sea day

Shame on you Princess

All other upcharge restaurants are $29 pp

Oh boy, husband is not going to be happy if this has changed.:(

Edited by Reader0108598

We were on the Ruby for Thanksgiving and the free pub lunch was offered only once. The fish and chips were quite good.

At night the salty dog was up and running but we only ever saw 2 - 4 people in there.

Hopefully they will not get rid of the pub lunch. It still shows it on the Princess site as being served on every ship. And Salty is only at night.

On the Emerald, the Salty Dog was only in the evening and the Pub lunch was still being served on sea days.

Personally, we won't miss it, warm scotch eggs :eek: but I'm sure some will.

Was also on the Emerald last May. Had the same set-up.

We had the pub lunch on first sea day. Next time, they were charging $19. We didn't see any passenger in the area. On the last sea day, they reverted back to free of charge. We were told that they were experimenting on response to having a charge.

I've always liked the fish and chips at the Pub Lunch, my partner not so much. When we did go it was always crowded. The other for fee restaurants not so much. I can see why Princess is trying out the charge. Not happy about it but we would only go one time per cruise so I can deal with it.

Feel Princess will be lowing out. While the Pub Lunch food is/was no charge doubt that the cost was any different than the no charge lunches in the DR, Buffet, International Cafe or the Trident Grill. The difference is that a large percentage of passengers at the Pub Lunch purchased some sort of drink. This basically does not occur at the other free venues. It's their loss.

I was looking for it on RUBY on November 5th sailing and did not see it offered as a free or paid option that week at all.

We were on this cruise and went to the pub lunch on the second sea day.

Edited by Murphey

We have another 3 sea days, so hopefully all not lost.

Will report back

Cabo tomorrow

Please do. The last time on the Ruby for us (last January, after the re-vamp in the Wheelhouse Bar and Sabatini's changing to Share) they had the Pub Lunch in the Crown Grill. Not liking the idea of an up-charge for it now.

Edited by ar1950

I like the fish and chips and the bangers and mash. I've "heard" that people have gotten shrimp and chips but have never seen it offered myself.

The fish and chips at pub lunch may be the best f&c on any cruiseline.

The steak and kidney pie with mushy peas wasn't bad either.