Sells your information

Cheryl Q

Florida's Motor Vehicle Bureau sells your driver's license info. Before I finally got my maiden name removed and middle name inserted on my license, I could always tell what junk mail was sent because of the MVB.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Cruiser beware!! Princess automatically shares your personal information with their affiliates (meaning Princess gets a kickback). You have no control over what the affiliate does with your personal information. It is your problem as Princess does nothing about it. You have to call Princess as well as the national reporting agencies to opt out. Princess must be hard up if they are scraping for pennies. Btw, their people/customer service doesnt bother to call back. Go to another cruise line as you will never know what Princess does with your information when you call for a cruise. #princesscruises

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

They all do it.

Cruiser beware!! Princess automatically shares your personal information with their affiliates (meaning Princess gets a kickback). You have no control over what the affiliate does with your personal information. It is your problem as Princess does nothing about it. You have to call Princess as well as the national reporting agencies to opt out. Princess must be hard up if they are scraping for pennies. Btw, their people/customer service doesnt bother to call back. Go to another cruise line as you will never know what Princess does with your information when you call for a cruise. #princesscruises

Their policy is explained right here... seems pretty cut and dried to me and it took less than a minute to find it. :rolleyes:

http://www.princess.com/legal/legal_privacy/

Edited by Cruiser411

Cruiser beware!! Princess automatically shares your personal information with their affiliates (meaning Princess gets a kickback).ss does with your information when you call for a cruise. #princesscruises

I doubt Princess gets any money from furnishing your information to the other cruise lines also owned by Carnival Corp.

And you can be sure they are not selling the information to any cruise line not owned by Carnival Corp.

Sent from my desktop using MTF

Edited by caribill

Like several others I worked in IT before I retired so I know a bit about the internet, how it works, how business keeps records, sells records etc. If you are on the internet, go to a website or do business with a company, they collect your information whether you know it or not and they sell it to others. The idea that Princess sells or trades (?) our information with other Carnival Corp cruise lines is not particularly a revelation. However I doubt they share your information with say RCCL or NCL as they are the competitors. This how the world works these days and unless you are a hermit living in MT or ID in a hut in the wilderness, get used to it.

Florida's Motor Vehicle Bureau sells your driver's license info. Before I finally got my maiden name removed and middle name inserted on my license, I could always tell what junk mail was sent because of the MVB.

And your vehicle information is sold also.

That is why you get marketing for:

o Extended warranties

o Offers to trade in your car amd to purchase a new one.

Its in the privacy section of the booking agreement. You have to call Princess marketing or write Princess a letter. Or contact the national opt out credit group. Im amused by those bashing me for being a first time poster and supposition Im anti princess. Ive gained valuable information from cc over the past year or so about cruises, rooms, cruise lines, etc., in fact it was because of cruisers here that i booked my upcoming princess cruise and selected the room I did. I simply didnt have anything of value to add to the forums so I read only and didnt join. When Princess gives my personal info to an affiliate who runs credit checks on me, then pre approves me for credit cards I get angry. Furthermore, Princess doesnt have control over what this affiliate does with my info or who they will share it with. I went to Princess for a cruise, not to have a credit check done on me for a credit card. In this age of identity theft, My opinion is this is worth letting others know.

Its in the privacy section of the booking agreement. You have to call Princess marketing or write Princess a letter. Or contact the national opt out credit group. Im amused by those bashing me for being a first time poster and supposition Im anti princess. Ive gained valuable information from cc over the past year or so about cruises, rooms, cruise lines, etc., in fact it was because of cruisers here that i booked my upcoming princess cruise and selected the room I did. I simply didnt have anything of value to add to the forums so I read only and didnt join. When Princess gives my personal info to an affiliate who runs credit checks on me, then pre approves me for credit cards I get angry. Furthermore, Princess doesnt have control over what this affiliate does with my info or who they will share it with. I went to Princess for a cruise, not to have a credit check done on me for a credit card. In this age of identity theft, My opinion is this is worth letting others know.

Well it would have been extremely helpful--and eliminated most of the responses that just assumed you were ranting about brochures and e-mail from Princess' corporate siblings--if you had actually told us that your specific beef was with receiving a pre-approved application for the Princess Visa card. Rather than opening your post with the hysteria of "Cruisers Beware!" and closing it with the command that all who are reading must take their business elsewhere--and no real supporting facts in between.

First off, thanks for the clarification.

I'm afraid I may need some more clarification about the specific situation are you in. You speak of being pre-approved for credit. Did they send you the Princess co-branded credit card and you were not expecting that? Did you pull your annual free credit report and notice a credit inquiry by Barclay's (Princess' card issuer) or another credit check entry which specifically mentioned Princess Cruises? Is there a credit history item on your credit report for a line of credit which you did not open?

Without knowing your answers I will provide this level of background for all who are following the thread: The days of fully functioning credit cards showing up in your mail for lines of credit that you did not explicitly open or authorize are long gone. That is a practice that has been illegal for a long time now. The behaviors at Wells Fargo where accounts were opened by staff members behind customer's backs is illegal because of the laws that govern how credit accounts can be opened.

However, it is not uncommon to receive credit offer solicitations from affiliates of the businesses we do business with. I'm a member of the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan, they continue to send me "invitations" to get their mileage plan Visa from BOA. And their mailings always end up in my shredder. However, these mailings are only a solicitation. Credit issuers cannot perform a firm credit inquiry (different from a soft inquiry) without some form of written, verbally agreed to, or digitally signed authorization to perform such an inquiry. When Alaska Airlines sends me another one of their ads/invites for their mileage plan card, it is not because they have done a credit check. It is because I'm an active member of the mileage plan. They, or rather BOA, have no clue if I'm credit worthy or not. They would only find that out if I returned the application, applied with them online or called their call center and applied for the card through a human.

Sending back a paper application, applying online or calling an application call center is basically the only way to approve the firm credit inquiry which would start the wheels rolling to receive an active credit account.

There is also a form of credit inquiry called a soft inquiry. Soft inquiries are used by some financial services firms to pre-screen offers they might make to prospective consumers. Soft credit inquires have no impact on your credit report or your credit score. If you currently receive credit, insurance, and financial services offers from companies that you don't do business with, these are probably coming from a combination of a list that has been sold by a company you do business with to non-affiliates and the results of a soft inquiry on you based upon your name and address information.

I've significantly reduced my junk mail and financial services offers by doing two things; signing up for a prescreen opt out with the credit bureaus and by indicating to the financial services businesses I do work with that I'm opting out of any information sharing they do with third parties. You'll have to check with your banks, brokerages, and insurance providers about your opt our rights and current settings. The prescreen opt out that you would do with the credit bureaus is found here: https://www.optoutprescreen.com/

I hope that this helps.

................... In this age of identity theft, My opinion is this is worth letting others know.

If identity theft is a concern, do what we did 15 years ago. Put a "lock" on your credit reports at the big 3 credit bureaus. That pretty much eliminates about 98% or more of any identity theft worries. In some states the bureaus charge a nominal fee to do this, in other states it is free (depends on each state's laws). And it is a bit of a hassle to temporarily unlock it if you want a company to be able to check your credit. However, all in all, a whole lot less troublesome than having your identity stolen and compromised.

It also eliminated about 90% of the junk mail that we use to get for credit card offers.

BTW, be sure to keep the password that they give you for unlocking your report in a safe place. And don't lose or forget it.