Air Travel Advice: USA to Australia?

Greetings,

Am starting our planning by considering ways in which USA (Houston)/Australia (Sydney) flights can be made more tolerable (17 hours). Saving vacation days are not an issue, in that we are retired and can manage a 3-4 week vacation. Would consider breaking up flight (stop in Hawaii or elsewhere?), fly on an airplane that has been configured to promote tolerance of long flight (we are pretty use to a direct flight from Houston to London or Amsterdam, for example). Really would rather use money elsewhere than business class?

DJ:)

Greetings,

Am starting our planning by considering ways in which USA (Houston)/Australia (Sydney) flights can be made more tolerable (17 hours). Saving vacation days are not an issue, in that we are retired and can manage a 3-4 week vacation. Would consider breaking up flight (stop in Hawaii or elsewhere?), fly on an airplane that has been configured to promote tolerance of long flight (we are pretty use to a direct flight from Houston to London or Amsterdam, for example). Really would rather use money elsewhere than business class?

Personally I'd suggest a stop or two on the way.

QANTAS does a direct flight from Dallas / Fort Worth to Sydney on an A380 aircraft if you have to go direct. QANTAS is the top ten in the world for safety rankings.

Other than that, it is a long way across the Pacific Ocean. I suppose the logical way to break up the flight would be a few days in Hawaii.

Echoing what GUT2407 said. Have done similar trips many times and it does help to break up the long haul flights into smaller legs. Could spend a day or two in Hawaii and the flight time is around ten hours to Sydney.

Have you considered timing your trip to coincide with a repositioning/transpacific cruise to negate one leg of the trip? Also a great way to visit Bora Bora or Samoa etc depending on which route the ship takes.

Air New Zealand does IAH - AKL non-stop 5 days a week.

They have Premium Economy.

Still quite a long flight ~ 13 1/2 hours + 3 hour flight to Sydney.

Good option if wanting to visit NZ for a few days before going to Sydney.

Greetings,

Why fly when you can cruise?

Depending on the time of year there are several Transpacific cruises going from west coast USA to Sydney via either Fiji or Tahiti and back again six months later.

You could also theoretically get from SF to Sydney on the Arcadia Jan 26 and return Melbourne to SF on Aurora Feb 26 and avoid international flying completely. Although that's probably a longer holiday than you want.

As for a flying stopover, Honolulu is the most convenient.

Air New Zealand does IAH - AKL non-stop 5 days a week.

They have Premium Economy.

In Nov/Dec we flew Syd-Auk-LAX and return on Air NZ, flew business class. Good but not great. I did not like the herring bone layout of the seats. Food and service were good. Horrific turbulence for most of the flights though, worse I have experienced in about 40 international flights all over the world with various carriers and aircraft.

I have also flown with the same carrier in Premium Economy, very good 'space seats.' Air NZ fly the Boeing 777's and the Boeing Dream Liners.

Recommended and some good prices. Have a look at their web site.

Edited by NSWP

fly on an airplane that has been configured to promote tolerance of long flight (we are pretty use to a direct flight from Houston to London or Amsterdam, for example). Really would rather use money elsewhere than business class?

Absolutely. The Airbus 380 is the best aircraft in the skies for economy comfort. As Blue Elephant suggested, I'd go for that.

I prefer that to having two separate day flights which doubles the check-in/check-out hassle and is still pretty uncomfortable. And the aircraft servicing Hawaii both ways are less appealing/comfortable than the A380.

Flew Qantas Premium Economy SFO to SYD. Used SeatGuru to find best seats. On A380 outside row has 2 seats. Great seats, easy trip, no problems. Made connection to Perth. Long trip, I think it was about 22 hours total. Arrived in Perth with head still attached and all necessary body parts still functioning.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

QANTAS does a direct flight from Dallas / Fort Worth to Sydney on an A380 aircraft if you have to go direct. QANTAS is the top ten in the world for safety rankings.

Other than that, it is a long way across the Pacific Ocean. I suppose the logical way to break up the flight would be a few days in Hawaii.

I recently did that flight and never ever again way too long for this little black duck and I had 3 seats to myself. I suggest breaking your journey.

I have done the plane trip from USA to Melbourne its a darn hard trip, SO assuming you are a cruiser

fly to Hawaii, catch a ship to Oz, stay a couple of nights, do a cruise out of Oz , fly home exhausted and you will sleep all the way.

Edited by 6666oz

We are flying from Calgary, AB Canada to Los Angeles and taking the once weekly flight from LAX to the Cook Islands where we will stay for 10 days before continuing on to Sydney. Our Calgary to Sydney return flight on Air New Zealand allows for one stopover. We had looked to stop over in Hawaii but, with the horrendous currency exchange rate between CDN$ and USD$ opted for a longer stay in the Cook Islands where the exchange rate between CDN$ and NZ$ is way more favourable. Otherwise we were looking at 16 hours flying time to fly direct. Plus we have visited Hawaii and never visited Rarotonga.:D

Really would rather use money elsewhere than business class?

Then book business class with frequent-flyer miles. And before you say how you don't have enough miles, etc. - there are plenty of credit card bonus offers out there to get the required miles. Now, that said, FF redemptions between NA and Australia are among the most difficult to get, but it is doable, especially if you're willing to fly via Asia.

My wife and I used FF miles to go business class last year. We used an agent recommended on Cruise Critic to help us book the legs. We flew LA to Brisbane and then on to Christchurch. I suspect that route is not all that popular so we were able to get the tickets.

You might want to check the Cruise Air section of cruise critic and also flyertalk. Your question has been asked a few times on those boards.

Also, consider the total cost. A flight to Hawaii + hotel and food for a few days can add up. You can apply these $ to a business class flight. Of course if you want to see Hawaii anyway then it's moot.

Edited by The Other Tom

Greetings,

Another option is flying Air NZ using a sky couch. These are special seats in economy where you book out the 3 seats on the side (these are special seats & there are only a few) which have foot rest type devices which come up from underneath to meet up with the seat converting them into a long flat bed. :) You would have to fly via NZ but it would make the journey easier. Have a look at the Air NZ website & see what you think.

Hi Folks

I would suggest the a-380 direct to Sydney , fly over a few days early and have a rest in Sydney before your cruise.

There is no real way to shorten the trip across the pacific, and stopovers only make the trip longer .

The A-380 is much more comfortable that the other aircraft on the route.

Best Regards

John

Edited by VK3DQ

Another option is flying Air NZ using a sky couch. These are special seats in economy where you book out the 3 seats on the side (these are special seats & there are only a few) which have foot rest type devices which come up from underneath to meet up with the seat converting them into a long flat bed. :) You would have to fly via NZ but it would make the journey easier. Have a look at the Air NZ website & see what you think.

Apparently they aren't as good as expected. It only really suits very thin people - think two people in a smaller-than-single bed. Also if the people in the row in front recline their seats you are stuck!

The Q A380 premium economy seats, even with a sale price, seem to be half again more expensive than comparable ANZ or US airline regular price seats for flights between LAX and SYD.

What is it about the Q experience that's worth the extra cost ? Thanks for any insight you might have !

The Q A380 premium economy seats, even with a sale price, seem to be half again more expensive than comparable ANZ or US airline regular price seats for flights between LAX and SYD.

What is it about the Q experience that's worth the extra cost ? Thanks for any insight you might have !

Been on A380 PE, Sydney to Heathrow. Bigger seat, more leg room, enhanced meal service and drinks, priority check in. I thought it was worth it. Have booked PE on Qantas, HK to Sydney post QM2 in March, flying on revamped 747. Have applied for upgrade to Business Class using FF points.

You get what you pay for. But Qantas are pricey. Consider my advice, book Air NZ, PE - space seats, at least you don't get crushed.

Edited by NSWP

I don't want to sound negative but travelling on the Qantas 380 is like attending a boxing day sale.... just too many trying to get what they can. I have flown the USA to Australia flight over 40 times since 1977 and can say that none has been fun except flying Continental via Hawaiian and similar with Qantas in he same era. The 777 is much more comfortable than a 380 and really is the preferred plane. Choose Air NZ via and you wont go wrong. Second choice is Qantas but definitely forget any USA airlines