Etiquette Question

Fish Lover

I have a genuine question, which I have wondered about for a few years now. I love the Solarium pool. It does wonders for my skin and it is one of my greatest pleasures that I look forward to. I always rinse off at the showers before entering the pool, as all people should. Since the water is very salty and sometimes very hot, I always shower when I get out as well. Is there any reason why a person should not also shampoo their hair under the shower? I have never done it, and never seen anyone do it (actually very few people use the shower). However, I certainly would like to, if it would not be a breach of some sort of etiquette.

There are "real" showers just steps away in the women's (and I assume men's) locker rooms. Why would you not shower there? With everyone walking by those showers right at the pool I would think some shampoo suds might make their way into the pool, and that can't be good.

I think it's different culture thing. I grew up near the beach and basically you use the shower to rinse sand off and then go home and have a full body wash.

However I have now seen videos, mainly us, Mexico that part of the world and it's really common for them to bring their shampoo along and do a full wash but with swimwear on. I found this strange but for them it's normal.

I wouldn't do it on the ship though, your cabin isn't far and there is a washroom nearby with private showers to use.

However I also find it strange to rinse before getting into the pool - is that another culture thing? I go to the pool throughout the week and never seen anyone rinse before going in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a genuine question, which I have wondered about for a few years now. I love the Solarium pool. It does wonders for my skin and it is one of my greatest pleasures that I look forward to. I always rinse off at the showers before entering the pool, as all people should. Since the water is very salty and sometimes very hot, I always shower when I get out as well. Is there any reason why a person should not also shampoo their hair under the shower? I have never done it, and never seen anyone do it (actually very few people use the shower). However, I certainly would like to, if it would not be a breach of some sort of etiquette.

As an alternative why not pop over to the showers in the gym. I do that all the time, keeps the wife happy as I'm not messing up the bathroom. I should point out that I do have very little hair so shampooing is not a big deal.

However I also find it strange to rinse before getting into the pool - is that another culture thing? I go to the pool throughout the week and never seen anyone rinse before going in.

In Florida, it is a State Board of Health regulation that you shower before entering a pool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

In Canada, it is considered an obligation to shower before you enter a pool. Not everyone does of course, but it is posted as a rule for most pools.

To the OP - I personally wouldn't care if someone used shampoo at the shower, but I do believe it would be a breach of etiquette. I have never seen anyone do it on a cruise. I agree with the other posters. It is probably best to shower in more appropriate venues.

I think it's different culture thing. I grew up near the beach and basically you use the shower to rinse sand off and then go home and have a full body wash.

However I have now seen videos, mainly us, Mexico that part of the world and it's really common for them to bring their shampoo along and do a full wash but with swimwear on. I found this strange but for them it's normal.

I wouldn't do it on the ship though, your cabin isn't far and there is a washroom nearby with private showers to use.

Actually, if I recall correctly, they actually post instructions that you should do a rinse prior to entering the pool. Same as the pools from my high school or at the gym. You actually have to walk through showers before entering the pool area. It is a hygiene thing and intended to rinse off whatever external contaminants you may have on your body that could contaminate the pool.

I'm from Australia and no pools at school - that would be bliss.

Nope we don't rinse here before dipping in, just jump in. Basically the pool is right at the entry in most places and showers way off somewhere else. We all tend to turn up in our swimwear and just jump in then go to the showers to rinse and get changed into clothes. Sometimes we just dry off and go straight home to change and wash.

Like I said, seems all cultures and countries are different.

I've lived my whole life in the US and have visited Mexico on many occasions. The next time I see someone shampooing and doing a full body wash at a pool's rinse shower will be a first.:confused:

...... Is there any reason why a person should not also shampoo their hair under the shower? I have never done it, and never seen anyone do it (actually very few people use the shower). However, I certainly would like to, if it would not be a breach of some sort of etiquette.
My first thought upon reading this was of hair clogging the drain and the sudsy water backing up and overflowing.

Not to mention the slippery conditions in that area. I often see passengers (myself included) cutting through the shower area to get to the other side of the pool area. :eek:

Have your thought of a spray detangler after you get out of the pool. Then you could possibly get that comb through and go about doing whatever you wish without heading straight to your stateroom. ;)

Showers in nearby locker room/ changing area are perfect for shower and shampoo, you can blow dry hair thete too...The ones at pools are for rinsing pre and post swim as are ones at outside pools

Once we are done swimming or bobbing around in pools, we usually return to our cabinvfir showers/ hair etc...

Not to mention the slippery conditions in that area. I often see passengers (myself included) cutting through the shower area to get to the other side of the pool area. :eek:

Have your thought of a spray detangler after you get out of the pool. Then you could possibly get that comb through and go about doing whatever you wish without heading straight to your stateroom. ;)

It would be the possible slippy conditions that would concern me too....

Omg seriously?! The showers are for rinsing off. Wash your hair in the privacy of your own shower.

What's next - bringing your razor and shaving your legs?

Not sure where the Oooowh my Gawd came from but OP decided to ask her honest and legit question on a cruise board before taking any action, does that deserve your style of answer? Be helpful, that's what Cruise Critic is about right?

... just so that I could get a comb through my hair (which I can't unless I shampoo and condition or risk yanking out half a head full of hair).

I keep a travel size bottle of leave in conditioner (I like WEN or Aveda, but you could pick any brand you like) in my pool/beach bag and usually apply a dab to my rinsed (but not shampoo'ed) hair after getting out of the pool or ocean. I comb or finger it through my hair and let it dry while I lay out ... works great for my hair ... may not work the same for everyone tho. :)

Excellent idea! Thank you. Since this is only an issue on the ship, it never occurred to me.

Excellent idea! Thank you. Since this is only an issue on the ship, it never occurred to me.

What do you do at a beach or regular (not ship) pool?

My hair is longish and I put it in a ponytail when swimming. I've also seen women wearing (GASP!) old fashioned...omg I've forgotten the name of them...you know those old rubber things women would put on their heads. I recall when they were a must because pools didn't want their drains clogged with hair.

There are "real" showers just steps away in the women's (and I assume men's) locker rooms. Why would you not shower there? With everyone walking by those showers right at the pool I would think some shampoo suds might make their way into the pool, and that can't be good.

I totally agree with warmwinds. The solarium showers are meant to rinse off only. There are showers in the Change Room in the Solarium and I believe they even supply shampoo and conditioner in those showers. Go there to shower and wash your hair.

Enjoy your cruise :)

In Canada, it is considered an obligation to shower before you enter a pool. Not everyone does of course, but it is posted as a rule for most pools.

To the OP - I personally wouldn't care if someone used shampoo at the shower, but I do believe it would be a breach of etiquette. I have never seen anyone do it on a cruise. I agree with the other posters. It is probably best to shower in more appropriate venues.

It is the same in the UK and you have to walk through the disinfected water to get to the pool. Showering before stops whatever you have on your body being shared with everyone who uses the pool that day.