Extra Tipping

mcase131

I am currently on the Navigator and am having a real problem with the extra tipping on the bar tab. I have no problem with the daily tipping but there is already an 18% tip added to your drink cost. I bought an empty light up plastic glass today, they added the 18% service charge and the waitress was visibly disappointed that I did not add an additional tip.

The tipping is getting out of control. I do tip extra at the end of the cruise for our room steward and wait staff as long I feel that they have given good service.

Any thoughts?

I am currently on the Navigator and am having a real problem with the extra tipping on the bar tab. I have no problem with the daily tipping but there is already an 18% tip added to your drink cost. I bought an empty light up plastic glass today, they added the 18% service charge and the waitress was visibly disappointed that I did not add an additional tip.

The tipping is getting out of control. I do tip extra at the end of the cruise for our room steward and wait staff as long I feel that they have given good service.

Any thoughts?

a good bartender wouldn't have made you feel like that. First of all, sorry that happened to you! Always a bummer! But don't feel bad about it at all! I can empathize with the frustration with those employees just waiting around expecting an extra tip. Just isn't classy. I've only had that happen to me at Labadee when getting a chair.

As for my thoughts of "tipping getting out of control", my thoughts are as follows: if the gratuity isn't mandatory, then give however much or as little as you want. It's YOUR money, and you get to decide what to do with it. If the gratuity is mandatory, and you don't add extra, don't feel bad about it at all! Just refer back to "'It's my money and I can spend it how I choose" and just let the awkwardness wash right on by you!

I do wish the act of tipping would stop in the US and I could just pay extra for the services and not have to deal with "tipping ettiquette" but alas, that hasn't happened yet. But those are the rules I follow. I tip if I want to if it's not mandatory, and if it's already been added, I tip extra if and ONLY IF I want to.

:D

Husband had an issue at the pool bar on the freedom of the seas when he bought a beer, the bartender pointed to the spot for the extra tip as if was expecting on top of the 18%. In labadee as the other poster stated we got push back not giving a tip for the lounger we were told all you need is your sea pass. We did feel bad in that instance and bring cash next time. We did tip extra the wait staff on room steward in cash for there excellent service. If haven't researched it enough makes me wonder if bartender tips are pooled vs per actual bar. If I got grief would result no extra tip and a note to guest service for that behavior.

For the vast majority of things in my life, I take the attitude that if you charge a mandatory tip that is all you get, and I don't ever feel bad about it. (Note, I don't can't delivery charges as an mandatory tip).

I do almost always give the wait staff and cabin attendant extra on cruises, but that is because I feel they always go way above and beyond and I prepay grats and look at it as part of the cruise fare. But 18% at any bar is already more than enough for the service I expect/get.

Edit: I also always tip the waiters at Johny Rockets for breakfast on OA, even though it is technically and "extra tip" line.

Edited by OSUZorba

WE do NOT tip each drink....I feel 18% of a HUGE OVERCHARGE on drinks is ample for opening a beer or mixing a standard cocktail If we visit one particular bar/bartender, occasionally, we will add $2 extra to ONE tab....not to EVERY tab! That's ridiculous. We will also find our favorite bartender on the last evening...and may tip them extra for the week.

WE do NOT tip each drink....I feel 18% of a HUGE OVERCHARGE on drinks is ample for opening a beer or mixing a standard cocktail If we visit one particular bar/bartender, occasionally, we will add $2 extra to ONE tab....not to EVERY tab! That's ridiculous. We will also find our favorite bartender on the last evening...and may tip them extra for the week.

I agree. I don't tip 30% at restaurants, and with the prices of the drinks on the ship, the 18% is beyond more than enough to pour me a beer.

I also agree with you about the last evening. I once had an outstanding person wait on us, who always brought my wife a soda, and asked me if I wanted my favorite beer. I watched her, and she basically treated everyone the same way she recognized. She was the definition of going above and beyond what you would expect. At the end, she got an extra cash tip because I was so impressed.

Personal choice. We are tippers and always receive excellent service. Just this morning I put aside some $1 and $5 for our April cruise. On recent Oasis cruise we gave each wheelchair attendant $5 when we boarded and when we disembarked. It's only money and we can't take it with us. If I can "make someone's day" it makes me happy too.

If you don't have the extra money don't feel the need to tip extra. When I first cruised about 40+ years ago I was on a very limited budget thus no extra tips. Each person should do what he/she is comfortable doing and that is my personal opinion, take it or leave it.

In 'everyday life' we generally tip decently to generously ... appropriate for the service, occasion, etc. I'm not an 'anti-tipping' kind of person ... and I travel a fair amount for work and run into 'automatic gratuities' quite a bit.

And I am not at all suggesting that anyone NOT tip extra if they want to do so ... please don't think that .... but simply as a tiny suggestion that for some reason makes me feel a bit less 'guilty' or pressured by that 'additional tip' line on the receipts ... If I know the 18% gratuity has been prepaid or already added (on a cruise or on land) I generally write the word 'prepaid' or 'included' across the tip line ... then write the total (same as already printed) ... sign it and just know that a reasonable server will know that the already added 18% tip is adequate ... and that if they are 'miffed' with me for not adding extra then I am nothing but a dollar-sign to them anyway so their opinion of me doesn't really matter. I'm not sure why, but just pointing out the 'prepaid-ness' of the tip makes me feel better.

Again ... i am NOT saying to stiff anyone. I am NOT devaluing their service ... but for me the 18% tip I've already paid is sufficient for the act or placing a drink in front of me. If someone goes out of their way to provide extraordinary service and is genuinely friendly and makes an effort to fullfill a special request or does something that warrants an additional tip ... then by all means, leave one if you want to ... and we often do in those situations ... but I personally don't think there is any reason to feel guilty for a 'normal tip' for 'normal service.'

Edited by Cro_and_Swan

We don't tip extra and always get the drink package. When we sign them, we just draw a line thru the tip and total...And sign. We however, will on the last night add a tip to the ones we feel have went above and beyond...Even with prepaid tips.

We've had outstanding bar service at dinner in the MDR...Our Bartender never let our drinks get empty and we never had to sign anything till after dinner. We gave him an outstanding tip.

We also tip extra our room attendant along with our MDR server and assist. I will not tip the head waiter, who I only see on the last night with his hand out

We also eat one night at one of the specialty restaurants...Chops is our favorite. We will tip additional after this meal if we have good service

Sent from Psycho's iPad using Forums

Any thoughts?

Tipping is way out of control. Not getting out of control.

Think about it 18% on a bottle of beer that's maybe $6, that's $1 just to get it out of the fridge, open it and hand it to you. But then get a can of Coke for $3, same steps required but half the tip.

Then they have the hide to ask for more. And even worse show they are not happy you didn't hand them even more, but I guess that as long as people keep adding $1 a drink, as many on CC say they do (so on that $6 beer tip about 35%) it's not going to get any better.

(Before anyone bothers to point it out I know that the $6 and $3 aren't accurate but I am using them as examples).

Hi all, I'm Michelle, sailing on anthem 01/26/17 and this tipping malarkey is starting to get me uptight. Never cruised before and also from Scotland U.K. So tipping over here not mandatory. We have prepaid drinks packages with service charges added but have also heard you can prepay gratuities! How and where can this be done? Any info gratefully received [emoji924]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi all, I'm Michelle, sailing on anthem 01/26/17 and this tipping malarkey is starting to get me uptight. Never cruised before and also from Scotland U.K. So tipping over here not mandatory. We have prepaid drinks packages with service charges added but have also heard you can prepay gratuities! How and where can this be done? Any info gratefully received [emoji924]

There will be a gratuity added daily to each passenger's account. If you would prefer to prepay the daily gratuities rather than having them applied onboard, you can choose to prepay them by contacting Royal Caribbean or your travel agent.

The daily gratuity is separate from the 18% gratuity included in the price of your beverage package. You are free to give a gratuity on top of this should you so choose, but there is absolutely no obligation for you to do so. Some do, some don't.

I had no idea about tipping for loungers until my friend did it. We tipped at the beginning and end of the day, and got excellent service :). And he got us free floaty matts, and watched our chairs, so worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wait. Where are you supposed to tip for loungers?

We don't tip extra and always get the drink package. When we sign them, we just draw a line thru the tip and total...And sign. We however, will on the last night add a tip to the ones we feel have went above and beyond...Even with prepaid tips.

We've had outstanding bar service at dinner in the MDR...Our Bartender never let our drinks get empty and we never had to sign anything till after dinner. We gave him an outstanding tip.

We also tip extra our room attendant along with our MDR server and assist. I will not tip the head waiter, who I only see on the last night with his hand out

We also eat one night at one of the specialty restaurants...Chops is our favorite. We will tip additional after this meal if we have good service

This is something I've been wondering. How much would you tip after a meal at chops or 150 CP etc? Do you guesstimate the land cost and tip accordingly? Or what would be considered a fair amount if service was excellent versus average to only ok? Would you consider not tipping at all at the specialty restaurants?

Things have changed so much since my last cruise!

This is something I've been wondering. How much would you tip after a meal at chops or 150 CP etc? Do you guesstimate the land cost and tip accordingly? Or what would be considered a fair amount if service was excellent versus average to only ok? Would you consider not tipping at all at the specialty restaurants?

Things have changed so much since my last cruise!

Depending on the service he had...Which we always seem to get great service at Chops. We will at least tip 20% or more

Depending on the service he had...Which we always seem to get great service at Chops. We will at least tip 20% or more

20 percent of what? The price you paid for the reservation or the price the meal would cost on land?

For the vast majority of things in my life, I take the attitude that if you charge a mandatory tip that is all you get, and I don't ever feel bad about it. (Note, I don't can't delivery charges as an mandatory tip).

I do almost always give the wait staff and cabin attendant extra on cruises, but that is because I feel they always go way above and beyond and I prepay grats and look at it as part of the cruise fare. But 18% at any bar is already more than enough for the service I expect/get.

Edit: I also always tip the waiters at Johny Rockets for breakfast on OA, even though it is technically and "extra tip" line.

I agree with you on tips that are automatically added to a bill. I go to spas frequently and the majority of those at resorts add the tip automatically. Generally, it's less than I would tip but I do understand that there are people out there who either tip poorly or don't even tip at all, so I kind of understand why they do it. Still, it irritates me because I have no problems tipping for a job well done.

Fouremco is correct. We will have a drink package - so our only cost was the restaurant charge for reserving the restaurant. So 50$ for example. Would you tip based on that or what that meal would cost at home? (Possibly 150$ and over in many cases). Thanks.

Sry Canukcruisenewbie, I guess I should of explained myself better...We base our tip on the cost of the restaurant charge. Would hate to try and guess what the meal would cost us at home...Too many choices and many different prices.