When to buy drink package?

mrsbojamp

Pre-purchase or on board. No difference in price. I have never seen it discounted. If you purchase on board, purchase soon after you embark. You will see tables next to many bars offering the package. There is no discount if you wait until the second day, you pay for the full no. of days. If you have lots of OBC it may be beneficial to wait until you board.

I agree that the only reason to purchase onboard as opposed to in advance is if you have bundles of OBC you would like to spend on the package. Our OBC generally covers the daily gratuities and not much else. On our next cruise it won't even cover the grats.

If you aren't planning to purchase using OBC then I'd just go ahead and purchase in advance and avoid the hassle of the onboard sales zoo.

I agree that the only reason to purchase onboard as opposed to in advance is if you have bundles of OBC you would like to spend on the package. Our OBC generally covers the daily gratuities and not much else. On our next cruise it won't even cover the grats.

From time to time, there are post by people who purchase various

things (including drink stickers) in advance, not receiving them

when they board, and then have to waste time resolving the problem.

I have never heard of anyone having problems walking up

to a bar to buy a sticker.

There was so much crying about having to pre-pay for excursions,

why would anyone want to pre-pay $50/day (maybe times 2 or more)

for a drink package?

I was on a Royal Caribbean cruise last October. I think I saved 20% buy purchasing it in advance. No real reason to with Princess. I know if I did, I would guarantee my sticker would not be on my card. I would spend more time getting it corrected than just purchasing when I get on board.

I was on a Royal Caribbean cruise last October. I think I saved 20% buy purchasing it in advance. No real reason to with Princess. I know if I did, I would guarantee my sticker would not be on my card. I would spend more time getting it corrected than just purchasing when I get on board.

Although not specifically the all inclusive beverage package,

this is one poster's experience:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45229868&postcount=21

Although not specifically the all inclusive beverage package,

this is one poster's experience:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45229868&postcount=21

GAH! I did once purchase the Soda and More package in advance and didn't have a sticker on my card when I boarded nor did I have a sticker in my cabin. I asked my steward about it and he said sometimes it takes a little while to arrive. Within maybe 20 minutes I had the sticker.

I guess this really is a valid reason to purchase onboard (in addition to being able to use OBC). I admit there were quite a few places to purchase the package upon boarding so perhaps I need to revise my previous thinking. :D

If one were to purchase the all inclusive beverage package, is there any advantage to buying it pre-cruise? Do they ever offer it at a lower price once onboard?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Same price.

I buy it once I board, usually have OBC to use anyway.

I purchased it ahead of time since it is the same price onboard or in advance however being from Canada by purchasing ahead of time I got it at the exchange rate from time of booking which was better than the exchange rate at the time of sailing. Also, that way it was done and over with and keeps my onboard account lower, Purchasing it ahead of time also allows you to be able to use it right away.

Not sure if you can wait, but usually once a year, Princess has a promo in which the beverage package is thrown in without charge. Well, maybe they bundle it into the price but nonetheless, it is still included in the price. We got one for a cruise in 2018 and the prices have remained the same even though the package is no longer being offered as a free perk. BTW, it is called the Sip and Sail promotion. It is not offered on all itineraries, though. You have to book a balcony cabin or better to receive it.

I seem to recall reading a post that warned about buying the drink package while still in port as sales tax would be added to the cost. Is this accurate?

I have heard that also, but in all the cruises that we have purchased the drink package onboard we have never been charged a sales tax.

Not sure if you can wait, but usually once a year, Princess has a promo in which the beverage package is thrown in without charge. Well, maybe they bundle it into the price but nonetheless, it is still included in the price. We got one for a cruise in 2018 and the prices have remained the same even though the package is no longer being offered as a free perk. BTW, it is called the Sip and Sail promotion. It is not offered on all itineraries, though. You have to book a balcony cabin or better to receive it.

We actually got it as a free perk. We booked under the recent Sip and Sail promo. I checked the price of the cruise for 2016 (28 day Hawaii / South Pacific) and then checked the price of the same cruise sailing in October of this year (2017). The price was identical.

Granted I had initially assumed Princess would dramatically increase the price to compensate so I was really surprised at the pricing. I jumped on it immediately in case they decided to raise the price to compensate for the AIBP being included. In our case it turned out that we got the $3,155 AIBP package included at no extra cost. Sometimes you win. It seems that in this case you and I both won. :D

Edited by Thrak

Thank you everyone for your responses! Unfortunately, the sip and sail promo was not available for my cruise. I monitored prices closely, and I did manage to get a nice reduction at one point, however I am passed the final payment date now. I agree with one of the posters about getting everything paid ahead of time, so if I can work it out, I think I will try to buy the package before our cruise and hope there are no "snafus".

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had an online AUD$8.69 per day price, when I sailed 11/11/2016 on the Golden Princess. I think there's a problem with the Princess computer system converting FROM AUD to USD then back for AUD, giving an inaccurate price.

I'm sailing again in November on the Golden Princess. I think the easiest option for me is to put money into On Board Credit-Soda and More Package, some Cocktails-had taken medication for travel sickness so didn't dare have a Cocktail this time, but will be flying in the day before and overnighting near Mascot Airport so would be safe-lanyards and mugs for Christmas presents for this and several more years. I will purchase the Welcome Aboard Photo Package, was thrilled with this year's, I usually take a bad photo! I'm also considering treating myself to Chilled Shrimps for a nightly appetizer, they were delicious last year.

We are booked on a TA Princess in October, paying $57.45/day/pp for the AIBP. Yikes! Having been spoiled on our two previous Celebrity cruises with free drink packages, we are hoping to catch a Sip & Sail pkg. on a future Princess cruise. We are thinking of doing a Panama Canal cruise on Carib. Princess in 2018, and wonder if it would be to our advantage to book it while we're on the TA in October, hoping to get the drink pkg. free. I know they give extra perks, such as upgrades, if you book a future trip while sailing, but didn't know if drinks could be possible, or if it only a once per year promotion. I suppose I could ask my travel agent to look out for if is the latter. What time of the year did you get it? Any advice? Thanks!!

I had an online AUD$8.69 per day price, when I sailed 11/11/2016 on the Golden Princess. I think there's a problem with the Princess computer system converting FROM AUD to USD then back for AUD, giving an inaccurate price.

Yes, there is a problem with the AUD online price. It takes the AUD price, $59, and applied the USD exchange rate to it to give the "converted" AUD price. :rolleyes: Princess does refund the difference onboard, but it's easiest to just buy it onboard.

Also if you are in Australia or NZ and travelling on a USD onboard priced cruise then it pays to check what the AUD rate is for the package and compare it with the USD price converted to AUD at the current exchange rate. Princess sets the exchange rate applicable to your booking at the time you book. Sometimes this can be better than the current exchange rate (a cruise I did had an exchange rate of .90 when the current rate was .76 so I bought the drinks package online, plus heaps of OBC) or it can be worse in which case buy it onboard. If it's marginal then keep checking the prices until close to your cruise and decide what to do then. Do not let Princess do the currency conversion when paying your final account, always let your credit card company do it.