Reason for problems with $99 pre-purchase photo package on some cruises

RSF Cruiser

Hi Everyone!

First post on the forum so thanks in advance for the patience :).

The $99 photo package was offered on our Majestic Princess April 9 departure under the Cruise Personalizer. We made the decision to go ahead with it last night, but it's been taken off of the Cruise Personalizer, though I still have it in my cart showing up as "Out of Stock." When it was offered, we had checked that the deadline was February 28, 2017 and that was the reason why we were still on the fence.

Someone on our reservation called Princess to ask what was going on and he was told that the photo package is "under review" for the Sapphire Princess and Majestic Princess voyages, and that even if we had paid for it previously, Princess would not honour it. I called Princess to follow-up and have been told to call back in 24hours.

*Fingers crossed* this all gets sorted out for our cruise but FYI to anyone who's already purchased the package on either the Majestic or Sapphire Princess. You may want to call to confirm.

The other day i checked our Feb 2018 cruise and the $99 option was there but today when I went to order it, it was gone. Hope they bring it back, otherwise we will not purchase any photos, rarely do anyway but at $99 thought it was a good deal. We have a 16 day and a 14 day B2B cruise in Feb/March 2018, South America.

I was able to purchase this for both my December 2017 and March 2018 cruises the other day. I just checked and it is still being offered for the December 2017 cruise but it is not offered for March 2018 cruise now. I hope we get to keep it.

As an update, we got in touch with Princess who said that the package was posted in error (though it was up for a month) and that no all-inclusive photo package will be offered at all on all Majestic Princess departures because it's a new ship.

I also spoke with a supervisor who said they're calling all people who purchased the $99 package on Majestic Princess departures because they will be cancelling the package in entirety.

I'm pretty disappointed with the situation and sincerely hope this is the only hiccup that happens for our cruise, especially as it is my parents' first cruise with Princess.

• 1 month later...
I just did the ship tour on the Golden and they said that the Majestic is not having photo printing machines. They are trialling all digital on there.

That does not make sense to me.

I can understand that they will not print all photos and put them on display, only to have most thrown away or recycled.

But many passengers will want to take home a printed photo. I would expect passengers will be able to use a kiosk screen to order prints of photos they would like to purchase. Thus they will need to have a photo printer on the ship.

Also with activities such as the UST and marriage ceremonies, printed photos are part of the package.

That does not make sense to me.

I can understand that they will not print all photos and put them on display, only to have most thrown away or recycled.

But many passengers will want to take home a printed photo. I would expect passengers will be able to use a kiosk screen to order prints of photos they would like to purchase. Thus they will need to have a photo printer on the ship.

Also with activities such as the UST and marriage ceremonies, printed photos are part of the package.

We took Ultimate Ship Tour on Regal in February and your description is accurate from what we were told. On the new ships You will view and order photos from a kiosk, they are no longer going to print up all of the photos and display them for sale. Makes sense and cuts out waste

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

It's like that on the P&O Britannia. It's easy to choose and save pics you might want to buy . Then you select your final choices and order with one click then go collect later . It even recognises your face and brings up what it's found

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We took Ultimate Ship Tour on Regal in February and your description is accurate from what we were told. On the new ships You will view and order photos from a kiosk, they are no longer going to print up all of the photos and display them for sale. Makes sense and cuts out waste

It makes sense from the waste aspect. It also makes sense for those who purchase the all-the-pictures-we-take package (if offered) as they will go to the kiosks to get their money's worth.

But I wonder how it will affect sales to those without a package.

There is a difference between "Oh look, the photos are out. Let's look for ours." and "I wonder if we should wait on line for an available kiosk to see if there might be any photos we like."

I purchased this $99 package (after reading about it here) as soon as it became available for my July cruise. I did notice this weekend that the price is now listed as $199, so I am very happy that I found out about it here and got it right away!

I missed the $99 sale. We are taking off on April 1st. I am still interested. This will be our kids first cruise. Question, Do the photographers visit the camp and take pictures too? I would love to get pictures of the kids in camp.

Also, from what I read on here..the 'pre-cruise special' price of 199 is the same as the on board price. Online it says there's a savings of $50 for purchasing early. Does the price really go up once on board? Looking at old patters from 2015-16, sometimes they discount this to 189. Is this still the case?

I purchased this $99 package (after reading about it here) as soon as it became available for my July cruise. I did notice this weekend that the price is now listed as $199, so I am very happy that I found out about it here and got it right away!

The $99 offer was on until the end of February.

Also, from what I read on here..the 'pre-cruise special' price of 199 is the same as the on board price. Online it says there's a savings of $50 for purchasing early. Does the price really go up once on board? Looking at old patters from 2015-16, sometimes they discount this to 189. Is this still the case?

Some have posted that the on board price is now $249.

• 2 weeks later...
Some have posted that the on board price is now $249.

The price is indeed $249 on board. I never saw it go on "sale" on board the grand princess. I missed out on the $99 special promo, missed out on the pre-cruise $199 online offer. We missed out on 2 port pictures (no photographers when we got off) and 2 nights of fun pic nights but still purchased the package at $249. We got about 123 pics overall. We took about 60+ on the last formal and pic night. Some photographers took a bunch of photos and poses with other people but when it came to us, they only took 2-3 pics. I had to ask for more. I even came back when there were no lines. With a family of 4, we had many possible combinations. My youngest did not cooperate after a few photo shoots and then only wanted pics with mommy. The male photographers paid a bit more attention to little details and "fixed" things. The one lady photographer was a one click chick. I did not dare ask her more poses from her. Oh, and if you want any duplicates printed, it would cost $10 each. It would be cheaper to buy the 2 packages at the $99 sale price and explain to them that you have two and to reprint everything. I saw a grandma who purchased her own package so she can have her own set.

The lanyard broke on the USB drive and they refused to give me another one. The USB is hella slow.

Now I have to buy an album for 100+ pics and frame the square collages.

on Alaskan cruises does the package include new & stock scenic photos of Glacier Bay for example?

I had the package last summer for Alaska (there weren't any sales), and no, stock photos were not included. That said, we were a group of four, only one cabin (two of us) bought the package, and we had 100s of shots - many of us on deck while we were in Glacier Bay.

On our Panama Canal Cruise this past winter, we were a group of six, two cabins bought the package (again, not on sale), and we had over 300 pictures. We were able to get duplicates of some of the shots because we had two packages. We also did not get the stock photos on this cruise, only many images of us!

I create vacation photo books and use the digital images in my books. The paper copies are a bonus, and I "stash" them in a binder. Sometimes I'll frame some of the special ones. I get the package for the digital images.

Edited by RSF Cruiser
error in wording