Staggered Check-In Thoughts?

kmt1000

Hey all 😀

I'll be on the Valor on the 28th, and when checking in online I noticed I had to pick a check in time. I haven't been on Carnival since 2012 so I didn't realize they made this change. Do they really hold you to the time? I normally get there about 10:00am. The earliest check in available was 1:00. Should I really wait till that time to get there or should I still get there early? What is everyone else's experience with this? Thanks!

on all carnival ships that have implemented staggered check in they are strict and you will not be able to go to the terminal until your time.

the only exception is if you are platinum or diamond or fttf you can go to the terminal when you want

The debarkation of the Magic yesterday was one of the most organized. Schwartz the cruise director said they would be adhering to the zones. They waited much longer between zones which stopped huge traffic bottle necks. We got off the ship and went through customs in no more than 20 minutes.

KMT1000 I am directing my answer only to you, because there be people that will argue with me that staggered check in is wonderful but I want to give you MY thoughts on it.

I am ALL AGAINST it...for many reasons. We also arrive the same time or perhaps a half hour later than you usually do to the terminal, so WE know, there never are lines....

Putting that aside this is why I feel staggered check in is not fair:

1- I like to board as early as possible and have most of my day on the ship, I feel boarding around 1-3pm you basically loose half the daytime on the ship and you pretty much loose having lunch

2- I always do pre cruise night stay at the port of embarkation, I have to leave the hotel by 11 where the heck would I sit and go to wait to 1-2pm to get to the ship!

3- I like to get to my cabin immediately when available so I can unpack and get things all situated, this is nice because its all done and I can start enjoying my cruise.

Sometimes we take last minute cruises, which would mean I will not be able to get early boarding time as most people generally prefer this, so I will no longer be booking up any Carnival last minute cruises unless my PVP can verify I can get on board before 11am. I will just take my business more to Royal Caribbean and Princess.

About your boarding time, I suggest grabbing the 1pm you don't want to end up any later time, and keep watch or call your PVP from time to time to see if an earlier slot opens for you.

After clearing customs on our recent Conquest cruise, exiting the terminal and getting to ground transportation was chaotic due to crowds of early arrivers and their luggage clogging the area outside the entrance. The assigned check-in times are designed to prevent this chaos. If yo arrive before the assigned times, you will wait in this throng, and will inconvenience those still disembarking.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Addition to previous post: we chose a 12:00-12:30 slot and this was perfect. We sailed through check-in and waited in the seating area just a few minutes before they started boarding and just a few minutes more before our group was called. Our rooms were ready not long after we boarded (about 1:45). Smoothest embarkation ever.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by simplelife

Just got off Vista this morning and the staggered check last Saturday went smoothly. We had a 11-11:30 check in time. We arrived at 11:15 and were on board at 12:30. Received our sail and sign card in room mail box worked well. They checked our boarding pass roughly 4 times prior to getting into the security scanner line. Please show up at your assigned times as they will not allow you to get in line until your designated time space.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

KMT1000 I am directing my answer only to you, because there be people that will argue with me that staggered check in is wonderful but I want to give you MY thoughts on it.

I am ALL AGAINST it...for many reasons. We also arrive the same time or perhaps a half hour later than you usually do to the terminal, so WE know, there never are lines....

1- I like to board as early as possible and have most of my day on the ship, I feel boarding around 1-3pm you basically loose half the daytime on the ship and you pretty much loose having lunch

2- I always do pre cruise night stay at the port of embarkation, I have to leave the hotel by 11 where the heck would I sit and go to wait to 1-2pm to get to the ship!

3- I like to get to my cabin immediately when available so I can unpack and get things all situated, this is nice because its all done and I can start enjoying my cruise.

Sometimes we take last minute cruises, which would mean I will not be able to get early boarding time as most people generally prefer this, so I will no longer be booking up any Carnival last minute cruises unless my PVP can verify I can get on board before 11am. I will just take my business more to Royal Caribbean and Princess.

About your boarding time, I suggest grabbing the 1pm you don't want to end up any later time, and keep watch or call your PVP from time to time to see if an earlier slot opens for you.

Totally Agree and Support your reasons for disliking Staggered Check-In. Seems the problem with many ports is the Poor Port Design for Traffic and the chaotic pick up and drop off of luggage.

No one can guarantee that you are on board before 11am. The staggered time is CHECK IN. That doesn't mean you get on board at that time. No cruise line promises anyone that they will be on board that early.

And you say you want to board before 11am and want to get in your cabin immediately. Based on your timing when exactly do you think the stewards should clean the rooms between sailings? People like are imo the reason this system is in place. Those that think they should be first on board and their room should be ready immediately. And the mentality that if you miss lunch on the first day you will starve.

If you arrive at port and check in at 10, and are onboard by 11:30/11:45, you still have to wait until 1:30 or so to get in your cabin. and your luggage won't appear til later that afternoon! The only exception to this (other than VIPs) is if you have FTTF, and in that case, staggered check-in doesn't apply!

Cruisegirl6-

Re-reading my post and it sounded kind of confrontational and I definitely didn't want to be like that!!! Just wasn't sure what the concern was for this particular point... some of your other points I agree with!

Edited by Shaded Lady

I am ALL AGAINST it...for many reasons.

I don't think the OP was asking about the "legitimacy" or opinions of staggered check in, were they....just how the system works.

BeachChik, I know but at least I get myself into the terminal and check in that is whats important, as far as actually boarding the ship, it varies, yes.

Before being Platinum, we would always get FTTF and yes, boarded many times around noon (last cruise we boarded a little past 11:30am) and went to our cabin immediately, also most of the time our luggage was waiting outside the door already and the room was ALWAYS cleaned and made up for us.

About missing lunch, its important because we never eat breakfast, we generally do a pre cruise hotel stay and NEVER eat before noon, so of course when noon time comes around we are hungry, so yes we be starving.

Shaded Lady- Yes, its true we don't board until after 11:30 that is fine with us, as long as our check in process is all done and over we don't mind the wait till we get onto the ship. We always have gotten FTTF so yes, we always were able to get into our cabin before 1:30, now we are platinum.

Thanks for the kindness you were fine. ;)

OP I would take the earlier available and keep watching in hopes an earlier check in time be available.

Edited by Cruisegirl6

Hey all 😀

I'll be on the Valor on the 28th, and when checking in online I noticed I had to pick a check in time. I haven't been on Carnival since 2012 so I didn't realize they made this change. Do they really hold you to the time? I normally get there about 10:00am. The earliest check in available was 1:00. Should I really wait till that time to get there or should I still get there early? What is everyone else's experience with this? Thanks!

Plan to arrive at 1 - as others have said, you cannot enter the terminal prior to that.

But to put some perspective on that, on our recent cruise, due to flight delays and about 45 min-an HOUR to get into Port C., (:eek:), we entered the terminal at 1:30 pm. Granted, we were using Platinum perks, but looking at the "lines" I am guessing we saved 15 minutes to regular boarding - and we were thru security and on by 2. The Platinum saved waiting to get our cards, but even the regular line was walking on as soon as they had them. We carried on our luggage, dropped it in the room, and went up to grab a guy's burger.

We used to arrive by 10:30 in the morning, and the earliest we have ever walked on a ship was a little before noon. So the total difference was a whopping 2 hours and the pay-off was no standing in long lines or sitting around waiting to be called. For those that feel they are "missing half a day" - it is just an unrealistic view. And for those that claim you miss lunch, you don't - the Lido deck food was all available, and if you are a YTD person, just eat dinner a bit later than you would normally.

The cost benefit analysis weighs out well in favor of the staggered check in with the reduced lines and ability to walk on - just plan your day assuming you will be on about 2; eat a late breakfast and plan on a later diner.

Hi, We did this for the first time last year, and we arrived 'early' for our 12:00 time. We had to wait until 12:00 - they had a little drink cart 'lounge'. I appreciate that they made us stick to ur time, and it was fast and easy. Luckily we live within a two hours of the port, so we are flexible on our arrival time.

Although on this same trip we got our luggage VERY late, and that was not convenient.

If we had had a 3:00pm time, I'd be a little more miffed. We did purchase a Faster to the Fun pass for our February cruise to test the quick luggage and dining time things.

I'm pro-assigned boarding times in short.

BeachChik, I know but at least I get myself into the terminal and check in that is whats important, as far as actually boarding the ship, it varies, yes.

Before being Platinum, we would always get FTTF and yes, boarded many times around noon (last cruise we boarded a little past 11:30am) and went to our cabin immediately, also most of the time our luggage was waiting outside the door already and the room was ALWAYS cleaned and made up for us.

About missing lunch, its important because we never eat breakfast, we generally do a pre cruise hotel stay and NEVER eat before noon, so of course when noon time comes around we are hungry, so yes we be starving.

Shaded Lady- Yes, its true we don't board until after 11:30 that is fine with us, as long as our check in process is all done and over we don't mind the wait till we get onto the ship. We always have gotten FTTF so yes, we always were able to get into our cabin before 1:30, now we are platinum.

Thanks for the kindness you were fine. ;)

OP I would take the earlier available and keep watching in hopes an earlier check in time be available.

If you are Platinum then you can arrive as early as the first 30 min window. You don't need to adhere to whatever time slot you are given. Same if you have FTTF. So there's no reason you should be against Staggered check in. As someone who has experienced it firsthand, it is a VAST improvement over the old way.

If you have special boarding due to disability..are you allowed in before the "assigned" check in time?

When we did the special boarding without the staggered, we were able to walk straight in and we were on the boat within minutes.

Edited by RTRMom

If you have special boarding due to disability..are you allowed in before the "assigned" check in time?

When we did the special boarding without the staggered, we were able to walk straight in and we were on the boat within minutes.[/quote

Check in times apply the same to everyone ... Except Diamonds ,Platiums , and FTTF They can board anytime

No, even with assistive devices, we had adhere to our assigned staggered boarding time.

When we did the special boarding without the staggered, we were able to walk straight in and we were on the boat within minutes.

No. And here is the boarding order from Captain Carnival:

ef366b5cd265f988120b0c71e11eb7fd.jpg

Interesting thanks for the info everyone. We plan on calling the special needs department over the next couple days to get all the info. We used them for the first time last June and they were fantastic with all the accommodations for my child.

If you are Platinum then you can arrive as early as the first 30 min window. You don't need to adhere to whatever time slot you are given. Same if you have FTTF. So there's no reason you should be against Staggered check in. As someone who has experienced it firsthand, it is a VAST improvement over the old way.

With FTTF, what is the earliest time we can check in? I was able to also get a 12-12:30 check in time online. So I know we won't be on too late either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums