Filtered water bottle - personal purification bottles

rajju077

Hi All

I am cruising on RCL in exactly a week.

I am not a huge soda or alcohol drinker, but I definitely need a lot of water.

I was comparing Evian packages (12 x 24) and the basic package of 12 was priced at $46 (with gratuity).

I understand I can bring in some water bottles, although not allowed.

However, instead of lugging all this I wondered if anyone had tried using personal filtered water bottles like Brita or LifeStraw (straw only or bottles) on board the ship and during excursions.

I just think using the single bottle of 2-stage filtration LifeStraw (1000 liters, priced at $42-45) would save me some money and reduce the bottles I recycle considering I will be using it for more than just the 2 cruises I have planned.

Please let me know if someone has done this and what your experience has been like; and if you recommend any particular brand or bottle.

Edited by rajju077

Hi All

I was comparing Evian packages (12 x 24) and the basic package of 12 was priced at $46 (with gratuity).

However, instead of lugging all this I wondered if anyone had tried using personal filtered water bottles like Brita or LifeStraw (straw only or bottles) on board the ship and during excursions.

I just think using the single bottle of 2-stage filtration LifeStraw (1000 liters, priced at $42-45) would save me some money and reduce the bottles I recycle considering I will be using it for more than just the 2 cruises I have planned.

Please let me know if someone has done this and what your experience has been like; and if you recommend any particular brand or bottle.

while I will not say EVERYONE or even LOTS, do, it is certainly seen on board. honestly the water on board is probably filtered better and purer than some bottled ones. some people find it tastes..'odd' but we don't

there are always people who swear there is too much sodium in it as they swell up, but I am of the opinion that is the food more than the water.

We always take refillable water bottles but not ones with filtration. The ship's water quality is as good as city water and I carry enough for the day on shore excursions.

I did that on my first cruise.

Only reason I am getting a filtered water bottle is so that I can use it at the airport as well, and at an excursion as well if I run out of water I filled in the ship.

while I will not say EVERYONE or even LOTS, do, it is certainly seen on board. honestly the water on board is probably filtered better and purer than some bottled ones. some people find it tastes..'odd' but we don't

there are always people who swear there is too much sodium in it as they swell up, but I am of the opinion that is the food more than the water.

Its probably from the good, or bloating from either too much walking or dehydration.

The taste is different, but I don't mind it at all.

Hi All

Why?

The tap water is purer than most if not all the bottled water brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why?

The tap water is purer than most if not all the bottled water brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

May not necessarily be in the case for excursions.

While I agree with you drinking water on the ship is probably purer than bottled water, I just wanted to have extra filtration just in case. Does not hurt.

I also plan to use it at airports, international trips etc.

I did that on my first cruise.

Only reason I am getting a filtered water bottle is so that I can use it at the airport as well, and at an excursion as well if I run out of water I filled in the ship.

If you want to be able to refill during an excursion, then getting something like the LifeStraw Go makes sense. There are numerous other "backcountry" water filtration bottles and systems, but read carefully what they'll filter out. Here's a good article on water filtration: https://www.mec.ca/en/explore/backcountry-water-treatment/

BTW, Brita will only remove some of the chlorine taste. Not suitable for your purposes.

If you want to be able to refill during an excursion, then getting something like the LifeStraw Go makes sense. There are numerous other "backcountry" water filtration bottles and systems, but read carefully what they'll filter out. Here's a good article on water filtration: https://www.mec.ca/en/explore/backcountry-water-treatment/

BTW, Brita will only remove some of the chlorine taste. Not suitable for your purposes.

Thank you for that link. I think I am going to use the LifeStraw Go for this cruise and see if its worth it. I can always return if it doesnt work out for me.

Two things you should be aware of. I have never seen a bottled water refill station on any ship. In fact, there are always signs that prohibit refilling bottles. Your cabin is the only option. Second, it's not always 'ship's water', if you look carefully some ports RCI will buy water and pipe it in. Not often, but it does happen.

Two things you should be aware of. I have never seen a bottled water refill station on any ship. In fact, there are always signs that prohibit refilling bottles. Your cabin is the only option. Second, it's not always 'ship's water', if you look carefully some ports RCI will buy water and pipe it in. Not often, but it does happen.

not precisely accurate.

you can use a glass to pour the water from the machine and then transfer to your own water bottle. people do that all the time.

it would not be a foolish waste of money if you choose to get the Life straw or other system since you plan on using it elsewhere( to me airport water is way more disgusting than ship water!)

Refilling a bottle on board is never an issue, and there's absolutely no need to go to your cabin. You are simply requested to use a clean glass to acquire the water which you can then pour into your bottle.

not precisely accurate.

you can use a glass to pour the water from the machine and then transfer to your own water bottle. people do that all the time.

it would not be a foolish waste of money if you choose to get the Life straw or other system since you plan on using it elsewhere( to me airport water is way more disgusting than ship water!)

Refilling a bottle on board is never an issue, and there's absolutely no need to go to your cabin. You are simply requested to use a clean glass to acquire the water which you can then pour into your bottle.

What did I say that was inaccurate? There are no refilling stations. It is certainly an issue because not all passengers are as intelligent as you are. They shove their used water bottle up against the spout.

Just sayin'

Enjoy your future cruises!

We always take refillable water bottles but not ones with filtration. The ship's water quality is as good as city water and I carry enough for the day on shore excursions.

"Your cabin is the only option."

LOL, "ship's water quality is as good as city water"

and it could really be city water. Hopefully it's not from Flint MI.

Have a good day.

Have a good day.

I think they've deleted Flint from all of their itineraries now. :)

Chengkp75 would be able to provide a more conclusive response, but I'd imagine that RCI and other lines only take on water from sources that are pre-approve and meet stringent requirements. From another recent thread, IIRC the water taken on is kept isolated from the existing water on board until fully tested and determined to meet RCI's standards.

You too have a great day! :)

Have a good day.

Chengkp75 would be able to provide a more conclusive response, but I'd imagine that RCI and other lines only take on water from sources that are pre-approve and meet stringent requirements. From another recent thread, IIRC the water taken on is kept isolated from the existing water on board until fully tested and determined to meet RCI's standards.

To meet USPH requirements, the actual hydrants where the water is taken from in port must have been tested and met EPA and USPH requirements within the last month, before water can be loaded. The water is chlorinated before it goes into the water tanks, and yes, the water must be segregated and not used until a coliform bacteria test is returned as negative, which requires 18-24 hours.

What did I say that was inaccurate? There are no refilling stations. It is certainly an issue because not all passengers are as intelligent as you are. They shove their used water bottle up against the spout.

Just sayin'

Enjoy your future cruises!

Of course there are refilling stations. You just are not allowed to refill a bottle(or dirty glass) directly.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To meet USPH requirements, the actual hydrants where the water is taken from in port must have been tested and met EPA and USPH requirements within the last month, before water can be loaded. The water is chlorinated before it goes into the water tanks, and yes, the water must be segregated and not used until a coliform bacteria test is returned as negative, which requires 18-24 hours.

Thanks!

As a matter of curiosity, would a typical Caribbean cruise out of the US (not San Juan) ever need to take on water at any of the islands?

I take my refillable filter water bottle when I travel. Not because the ship's water is undrinkable. It is fine. But I don't live on the ship 24/7. I also want to help reduce the plastic waste from purchasing water in bottles and the refillable water bottle is one way to do that.

I forgot I had water in my refillable bottle after the security checkpoint and carried it on board the airplane in my backpack pocket and it leaked when I put it up in the overhead storage area. So don't do that!

I have seen it many times in Alaska, the Med, and only once or twice in the Caribbean. Twist my words any way you want. I said nothing about testing.

I've read some of your other posts today. I understand you have this overwhelming need to be right. You must be having a bad day. I hope things get better for you today.

My last post on this subject. Correct away!